All Comments on 'Tales from Old Shanghai 01'

by ChloeTzang

Sort by:
  • 75 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
An epic story, Chloe!

So beautiful. I've been a fan of yours from the get-go, but this story moved me much more than the others. It brought tears to my eyes several times, and your description of those times of living in Shanghai came with rays of sunshine. And when she first saw Martin... and he first saw her... and it was love at first sight... Sigh!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
wow

Sorry this is anon but I'm Steve. Have you ever thought of doing a remake of Emmanuelle? And when is the sequel to Mistaken Identity due out. Can't wait to buy it. You have a gift.

ChloeTzangChloeTzangabout 5 years agoAuthor
Thank you Steve xoxoxoxoxo

It had me crying when I was writing it, I can tell you. And I'm sorry about the formatting boo-boo's and some of the abbreviated scenes. I literally submitted it 3 minutes before the contest deadline and I was writing away up until the last second.

This one is going to get updated after the contest - that whole scene where Chuntao meets Martin's father was meant to be much longer and much more dramatic, and there were supposed to be a couple of prolonged sex scenes with Mr Maynard and then some overlapping with Chuntao having her evenings with Martin and her times with Mr. Maynard. There was supposed to be another long one with Martin's father, and then the gangbang scene and that last evening with Martin which gets heavily emotional before he takes her like a whore and walks out ... so all of that will come with the update. Also, if you find me on Facebook, I'm going to post some images their for how I see the characters and some of the scenes.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11about 5 years ago
Magnificent - your best story yet

I have been a fan since I first joined the site.

Your stories have always been entertaining but, this time, you have surpassed yourself

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Xi'e xie, Chloe!

I hope I got the "thank you" right. What an excellent tale! You have done well in crafting a story that could quite possibly be someone's real-life experience and I was hooked from the very start! I really appreciated the research and effort you put forth to present us a word picture that did well to capture the tumultuous events of that setting and of that period in time. I greatly enjoyed your work of art! I think I enjoyed it even more so due to my years in the military (spent 4 out of 25 yrs on the island of Guam; learned to appreciate many diverse cultures there), due also to having read about the Rape of Nanking and finally, due to being an American who asks no one to kneel before me but rather prefers to walk side-by-side with others and share in the rich and special differences we each bring to the table! Thanks again for sharing your craft with us. Keep up the good work and best wishes in your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

Anon/LH/NightHawk Zero13

MangoGrooveMangoGrooveabout 5 years ago
Definitely your best story yet, Chloe

AnnaValley nailed it, Chloe. This is your best yet and you know I've followed and read your stories right from the very first one you posted here. A beautiful story beautifully told and the ending did bring a tear to my eyes. Not a Harlequin Romance by any stretch, far far better and far more emotionally hard-hitting. As NightHawk Zero13 said, (and having read a few books on that place and time myself), to me you managed to capture the tumultuous events of that setting and of that period in time quite well. I'd sure like to read the expanded version!!!! The formatting is just a quibble but yes, it'd improve the reading experience to tidy that up and those additional sex scenes sound great. A big well done from MangoGroove.

JonTorLangJonTorLangabout 5 years ago
Stunning!

This is the first story by Chloe that I’ve read, and it kept me glued to the screen of my iPad for hours! I took short breaks from time to time in order to learn more of the places, music, and props she mentioned; Google, as ever, provided good period pictures, while YouTube was excellent in providing videos of voice and the performance of “High Mountains, Flowing Waters” (https://youtu.be/ffCKlqWOewo). Evocative music!

My heart goes out to her character, Chuntao, and to many of the nameless Chinese who were subjected to the brutal reality of the period and war. Chloe’s description and writing were vivid and moving. I learned much from her detailed writing and my online searches. I look forward to reading more by her. We have so much to learn from other cultures!

With kind regards, JonTorLang

italianguy82italianguy82about 5 years ago
Masterpiece

It's 5:30am, but I just couldn't stop myself from reading the whole story. It just didn't feel right to go to sleep before I finished it.

I'm bad with words; I would not be able to properly express the praises that this story deserves.

So please just accept a heartfelt thank you, for making my day (or night) much better!

FadedIndianFadedIndianabout 5 years ago
Damn!

Just, damn you're good. No change that. Just, damn your a great writer.

Unfortunately they only allow 5 stars, and I'm calling out those who did not give you five! Girl you can write sex scenes that are just -- blushing!

Many, many thanks for honoring all those millions us whites fail to recognize being sacrificed during that war and others.

Have enjoyed your writing even when I did not like some of your characters -- but you have to have characters with faults otherwise it's just boring.

Look forward to more and more. And thank you for entertaining us.

RickshawroadRickshawroadabout 5 years ago
Absolutely Brilliant!

There are many good authors here, but Chloe, you are one of the best.

I always watch out for your stories and this is probably the greatest so far.

Thank you for taking us to Shanghai

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
It’s a pity there cannot be more than 5 stars

Excepting some minor continuity errors and a few spelling errors, a truly 6 star story.

PatrickThomasPatrickThomasabout 5 years ago
Thank you.

A very good story. Thanks so much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Wow

Having enjoyed reading stories here on Literotica for several years I am convinced this is by far the best I’ve ever read. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Fantastic Tale

You are gifted. This should be published in print. Thanks for all your efforts. I have enjoyed all of your wonderful stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

This is amazing - the descriptions, the emotions. This story reminded me of Titanic in some ways, and I'm not gonna lie: I cried. I had to distract myself for a moment before I could continue reading. Then I returned to the part that made me cry and cried again. I'm not sure if it was a good hurt, but I'm glad you shared this story with us. Looking forward to any works you have coming up.

hhhcd12345hhhcd12345about 5 years ago
Magnificent

Impressed by the time you spent making the reader feel they are inside the story, watching everything happen first hand. Great amount of detail, and a fun and fast read too.

SmutolSmutolabout 5 years ago
sad is good for me

But this story is truly depressing. It made me wonder whether i read a true story. Or part of couple of stories mangled together. I want to be somewhat angry at U Chloe for making me wait so long for next chapters of Chinese Takeout... but u simply produce ... this. Outstanding. Completly on different level. Where did u get the idea for it from? Is it fully fictional? What about the title? Is it just part 1? Im truly worried that u will not be able to sustain this quality. And we already estabilished that i know how good u are.

Smutol -> Smutek -> sad one ( in Polish)

shygeekshygeekabout 5 years ago
More please!

Amazing story, one of the best ever.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
SO damn depressing!

Well written to be sure. But this is a porn site. Something like this belongs elsewhere. Twenty nine pages is a epic novel for a site like this. No doubt that you can write and I've enjoyed some of your other stories. But this was like a forced march thru the swamps.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thanks

Love your stories

Keep up the great writing

Hongye18Hongye18about 5 years ago
So Sexy, and So Sad. A mirror of Old Shanghai

Chloe,

This story is not only historically accurate for those years, it really tells Shanghai's story.

At first I though it was somewhat autobiographical - perhaps your mother or grandmother, but thanks for writing back to me and setting that straight.

PLEASE write the book length version. I know it is a lot of work, but you almost owe that to us, your fans.

PS Like all you fans, I have fallen in love with you via your writing.

Just please don't tell my wife. She is a Chinese woman, and you know how they can be when jealous!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Beautiful and sad and beautiful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

A collegue recommended your story to me. And having just finished it in one go, I can only agree with his sentiment: I will do my best to bring this story to the big screen (with R-Rated sex scenes nontheless).

ChloeTzangChloeTzangabout 5 years agoAuthor
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments and feedback, here and offline

I'm so happy you've all enjoyed this little tale so much, tears, sadness and all and thank you so much for your views, votes and comments. I wrote it as a rather romantic and sad tear-jerker, never expecting it to win the 2019 Valentines Day story competition - it's not your usual Literotica First Time story, that's for sure - and honestly, I wrote it and still cry every time I re-read that ending. If you want to see some visuals as to how I picture some of the characters, track down my Facebook Page (there's not to many Chloe Tzang's around) and I have a collection of images there that I had pinned up on my wall while I was writing this.

I also have all the chinese music in the story there as well so you can listen to it easily without trying to track it down yourself. And yes, you can "friend" me on FB if you like - it's my author ChloeTzang FB page. Anyhow, I tried to stay as accurate to late 1930's Shanghai as I could in the story so all those little factoids thrown in here and there are true, including the modeng girls executed for having bobbed hair. Gruesome and very sad but the reality of the uprising and it's aftermath in 1927 is far worse than my story. Any historian could probably pick holes a mile wide in some of my background tho.

Anyhow, I am updating and editing the entire story, it's going to be about twice as long by the time I'm done and I'm going to have it published as an e-book, with this version available on Literotica as a "sample". That's not a plug, btw. Just an "if you're interested" because more than a few people have asked.

And thx again, everyone. You really are a wonderful audience to write for .... Chloe

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thank youadwKZX

Thank you, it’s odd, I found myself hastening past the erotic parts to follow the story and the characters. I certainly never expected an erotica story to bring tears to my eyes....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Superb story!

Chloe...you have written one of the finest pieces of literature I have read here. The characters are so so real. Your stories always have hot sexy scenes but this was the best I have read.

Looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Solid 5 stars

Author’s writing prowess and love of subject shines from every page. Top quality writing. I meant to give 5 stars but clumsy fingers touched ‘4’, and was unable to change. Thank you ms. Tzang.

xoxo_mexoxo_meabout 5 years ago
Absolutely 5 stars!

This story held me rapt. It was well written. I loved using a 98 year old's narrative to her great granddaughter, her candor, and her humanity. You nailed it Chloe!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Six stars

Truly epic character depths and relationships just spectacular can’t validate the authenticity but is exactly the feel of my grandmothers tales wrt Shanghai in that time frame. Bravo

Ashesh9Ashesh9about 5 years ago
Ten Starssss!!!!!

Hearty Congrats Chloe on your winning first prize!!!

I find Shades of Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies and the Ibis Trilogy in your work!!!

By any chance are you a fan of Ghosh's writing?

Best Regards,

Ashesh9

GoneGrayGoneGrayabout 5 years ago
Exceptional - Your Talent on Display!

I had already read most of your stories and knew you had talent, but is great writing. I never expected to read this quality of a story on this website, when I first started reading Literotica a few months ago. I accept the many typos, and few flaws, knowing that you finished it with 3 minutes to go! It would read easier without the typos, but I would rather you write more stories than fuss with those details. Heck, I could have finished reading it sooner it did not have to stop and dry my eyes so often. I will send you the tissues bill!

Sir GalahadSir Galahadabout 5 years ago
Excellent erotic romance by a master of her craft

People tend to forget that the elderly in the twilight of their lives were once young and vital, with dreams and stories and adventures of their own to tell. Chuntao's story is epic even in a time that produced many stories that resonate even today.

My one complaint is that Chuntao should have come to a different kind of love for her Texan -- certainly not the pure first love she gave to the undeserving Martin after they were hit by "the thunderbolt," but rather a lifetime-lasting warm glow that sustained both of them for as long as he lived, and after. But that's simply the romantic in me, that appreciates the rare commodity of love between two people that lasts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Too long....

by the time I get thru 29 pages the THRILL IS GONE!

MrWizard53MrWizard53about 5 years ago
Now that I know I can forgive

I was ready to tear you to shreds for all the typos, misspelled words and wrong usage of a word (such as plain for plane, etc). My biggest hang up is the continued redundancy of beating an idea into the ground, like beating a dead horse - any more doesn't suffice. Then I get to the end and you tell you're doing this while writing four other pieces and it somewhat excuses a lot! But, use spell check- I found it to be my friend. And I for one love the tales of old Shanghai! I almost wish I could have been around then - just as long as I escaped before the fighting. So keep them coming, I'll keep reading.

As Bogart said:"Here's looking at you kid." Tip my hat and walk off in the fog.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Another WOW story, Chloe.

So I could quibble about a typo here or there, or personal pronouns shifting gender now and again. Buy WHY! The story is a masterpiece, I think. I have been to China a few times over the last 30 years, and have especially enjoyed Shanghai, both the modern Pudong and the Old City and French Quarter, and I could smell the river and hear the sounds (albeit modern in my experience). And, I've had the pleasure of delightful young Chinese women bathing me and massaging me and more, so understand the Texan's delight.

China has changed unbelievably in the years I've traveled there, and continues to change. Good for China!

Your ability to write in the voice of a young woman experiencing the delights of sex, the discovery of giving and receiving physical pleasure is among the best on Literotica. Keep writing, please.

And Thank YOU for your efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Gave up

Loved the first 6 or 7 pages but gave up on page 10 was just to hard going for me

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
More Please!!!!

Excellent storytelling. Please continue....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Breathtaking and fascinating novel

This is a breathtaking erotic novel written with much devotion and love to detail describing the political and social situation in a Shanghai of the 20th century from the viewpoint of a higher class pupil becoming a curtisane and succeeding in escaping her fate as a chinese whore but losing her only and ever love.

Thanks for this masterpiece of erotic literature

fly

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Incredible weight

This definitely needs a thorough reworking, as you yourself and some readers have pointed out, and the repetitions can get tiresome -- but the emotional weight and historical breadth and intensity here put this story into a category of its own on Literotica. Maxine Hong Kingston and Amy Tan both went "back" to China in important stories (even though neither was born there), and I see something similar happening here. Though you are Chinese-Vietnamese, as you say, this still seems like a very important exploration of your identity -- oh, and there are some really hot sex scenes too! However, this story in so many ways, rough as it may still be, rises miles above almost everything else on this site. You are a very gifted writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Long but excellent!

Chloe, your story captured my imagination. I felt I was living in old Shanghai, and I could empathize with Hua's and Chuntao's heartbreaking decisions to give up their young innocence and become prostitutes. Thanks for the excellent story and keep writing!

EriktheAwfulEriktheAwfulabout 5 years ago
I know you lol

I’m getting good at reading your stories Chloe, I started bracing for the gut punch when she agreed to the gangbang.

KlitomaticKlitomaticabout 5 years ago
Jayzus Chloe ! ! !

Yeah a little attention to spelling etc I suppose. But the story, ahm tellin ya raht now ,I could just see shuntow in mah mind, and she is cute as a speckled pup. Keep it up, the storyline was great and yes the descriptions of the sex was just as I would have written them. Assuming I had the talent.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thank you.

The first long story I have read on Lit. Yes there was the odd grammatical error but those can be found in every story. In England we do not cover this area of history in our general education. I was wondering whilst reading how accurate the story was so was very pleased to see your comment and reference section at the end. Although fiction I was glad that Chuntao had a happy ending. Regards Alan...Somerset.

yfevereyfevereabout 5 years ago
Extraordinary!!

I was shocked by the level of detail and how well you set the backdrop for his story in the first few pages. You did a great job on this one as you do with all you stories.

red_96vettered_96vetteabout 5 years ago
Wonderful

Unfortunately we now expect this exceptional story telling from MS. Tzang. She has become a master at these stories ❤️

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Amazing Story

WOW! If this story was a movie, it would blow fifty shades out of the water. The characters jumped off the page. I was enthralled as you guide us through old Shanghai. Through the trials, tribulations and experience of growing up in a world alien to us today. Historically revealing. Erotically pleasing. Emotionally embracing. I could not get enough of this story and at times, cried with you. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m hooked and will have to read the rest of your works now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Beautiful, sad story

So well written with a great feel for the period, a tragic love story and and sensuous sex scenes. I echo the previous comment about making great screenplay. A good read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Well done!

As an 'Old Asia Hand', I've lived in Thailand, Viet Nam, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan. I've experienced this side of life that you write about, and I am amazed that you handled all these issues in a truly human view. This is probably my favorite story in all of Literotica, not because of the sex, but because of how sensitive and true to life it was written. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Without reading in entirety but based on other stories from you.

You are reaching a new level. So far I am seriously moved by the way it is written. My best of luck to you for great future. We will miss you here. I will write another comment once I am done reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A Great Writing

I was totally drawn into the characters , and the story thereof . Thank You ... H8R

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Well done! There's very little coherent literate pornography of any sustained length, but this certainly is. I'm calling it pornography as per the definition ('the speech of prostitutes', to be precise) in deference to the subject matter of a whore's memoir; if you prefer to call it erotic fiction, it's that too, and of a high calibre. NB to finish it in only 4 weeks demonstrates a real Chinese work ethic!

AussieGuy52AussieGuy52over 4 years ago
I couldn't put it down

I am seriously impressed with your work! The characters were so believable and the storyline was brilliant. I thought the sex scenes were about as good as it gets, and the idea of an old lady recounting her story to the granddaughter was a master stroke, very touching in parts, and well worth the read.

Thanks for your work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fantastic story

What a beautifully told

Story. I felt I was reading a very, very talented writer's work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
great reading..

Found the site by accident ,saw story,started to read,never stopped ..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
idk

as a writer of historical fiction (hobby, not author). I love and appreciate the setting of the story. It was told well and the characters were believable and not only believable, I felt they were real. Felt as if the story was happening in real life and it did a wonderful job of controlling my emotions. I was happy and truly felt happy reading some parts, I had to masturbate reading other parts, and I cried In other areas. The last couple pages truly worked themselves up to make me cry and I felt sad and depressed for the rest of the afternoon that I read them. Many writers can make you fell happy, but you, my friend, have managed to make me truly cry, fap, and laugh in the same book of only 100k words. You are a wonderful writer and I must now read more of your stories.

nrvfnrvfabout 4 years ago

Wow, I came here to cum, not to cry

dugongdugongalmost 4 years ago
Titanic influence?

I liked the story a lot, although it was a bit sad. I do see a lot of Titanic reference in how the story is narrated, not sure if that was intentional. Enjoyed it!

ChloeTzangChloeTzangalmost 4 years agoAuthor
Titanic influences?

No, that wasn’t intentional at all, it was just the way the story came out. The old lady at the start was just how I started it to set a frame for narrating it historically- I added the painting in later after I got the idea from another novel I read and I thought well, what a great way to introduce their love story. Doomed love is such a wonderful theme to work with, but I didn’t do a lot of plotting - it just emerged as I wrote without a lot of conscious thought. It was almost like I was working with a real person sometimes, and Chuntao was there, telling her story, she was so alive in my mind.

Rain29nsleep12Rain29nsleep12almost 4 years ago
Great story

if this was a movie, this song will fit perfectly at the end when the credit rolls: 梦中人-龚秋霞, man of my dreams.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I love the way you think and write!

Bravo! So good and engaging. 😘

sunsailersunsailerover 3 years ago

Absolutely no doubts at all giving you the maximum vote possible!

I was in China briefly in the autumn of 1978, travelling down through Shanghai & on south to Canton, then across to Hongkong. What sights, sounds, aromas, and changes of atmosphere!

You have done a wonderful job with this story Chloe.

Held me spellbound throughout your amazingly well crafted saga.

Thank you so much.

I will, of course, be reading more of your work...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excellent story, very well written. As I read, it felt like there had been substantive research into contemporaneous Shanghai, and I was gratified to read in the endnote about the efforts Chloe had made. Sure, there were a few trivial grammar/spelling mistakes, and some minor anachronisms, but easily overlooked in the tapestry of the narrative. Oh, and I do like the way you write the sex scenes, Chloe. 5 stars! Thanks very much!

Tokyo_TenguTokyo_Tenguover 2 years ago

The only reason I am giving this five stars is that I can't give six -- or more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you ChloeTzang. A great story . Brings to life, stories my father, who was posted to Shanghai in 1922 told, without the sexual detail!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

感谢您见证了这段奇妙的历史。上海外滩区在很大程度上已被遗忘。所有最糟糕的殖民主义和中西方最好的互动都变成了鬼故事。你让这个时期重新焕发生机。做得好。

tomasnytomasnyalmost 2 years ago

Thank you! A great story about love and suffering in Shanghai before the revolution. It reminds me a book I read few years ago of the same period in Shanghai. I wish I could remember the name of the book now. Your story and that book were the same sad story of 100 years of misery and humiliation of Chinese by the foreign governments.

Young Chinese might not remember, they are probably more interested to become capitalists. But the humiliation was the reason why Mao won the war.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very good story, one of the best I have read on this site. I enjoyed the historical information, looked up the Chinese instruments and heard them being payed. I look forward in reading more of your work.

dashitoffdashitoffover 1 year ago

anonymous seems to be at least two people - or schizophrenic ...

sabrsuave2366sabrsuave2366about 1 year ago

As always, of course I loved it!!! Anything written by Ms. Tzang is appreciated. One always can expect explosive sex when reading one of her stories, but they also come with (gasp!!!) a plot!!!

mcrr2225mcrr222512 months ago

It's a great story. But what bothers me is she is pining for a man that doesn't love her enough to take her away from all this, while her American as she calls him, loves her without reservation. I don't think we even know his name. He rescued her and gave her six children and a life she could only dream of, but she loves the other spineless guy! Oh well, I loved it anyway.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wonderful story! Liked the blend of life in that city with the main character. PLease keep,writing...

HeatseekingmoisturemissleHeatseekingmoisturemissle9 months ago

Great work. I had to digest this story for a day or so before commenting.

As always the sex is great. You obviously enjoy that part. Otherwise I have to complement you on your ability to blend history, the plight of women, sexism, racism and cultural friction into the mix.

You lure readers in with the graphic sex, and then educate them on the status of women and the hopelessness they can experience. Very clever.

You are one of my favorite authors.

PhantomzonePhantomzone7 months ago

I was hooked from the beginning. The slow burn of story led quite nicely to the erotic parts. The historical backdrop was very much to my liking. Seriously impressed, this is a fabulous piece of writing.

Grognard1Grognard16 months ago

Ok, Chloe, your story made me cry (but don't get a swelled head over that, I still cry at "Bambi," and "La Boheme"). It was splendidly written and please tell me you have submitted it for commercial publication!? You are a terrific writer and I hope you do write more "Tales of Old Shanghai." Do not let your gift die on the vine. Crush the grapes and make them Wine.

Grognard1Grognard16 months ago

P.s. Have you read Iris Chang's "Rape of Nanking", or George MacDonald Fraser's "Flashman and the Dragon"?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userChloeTzang@ChloeTzang
3230 Followers
Well, my new novella, "Draft Deferment" is now available on Amazon - And if you want to find out more about what I'm writing, you can find me on Facebook, * * * * * * * * * * Chloe is half chinese-vietnamese, half-white, lives somewhere in the USA. Work as an ER Nurse so I s...