Tales from the Stream Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lúcia sat up straight, rubbed her eyes, and joined Amaliya in stroking Reg's back.

"Maybe we're going about this the wrong way," said Emily.

"What do you mean?" said Jade. "It doesn't get much simpler than QR codes. For machines, at least."

Amaliya stroked Reg with her fingertip. "Don't listen to them, Reg. You're beautiful just the way you are."

Lúcia grinned.

"Something simpler." Emily rubbed her chin.

"Hm." Jade gazed at the ceiling while tapping her finger on the table.

Reg turned his eye stalks to Jade.

Amaliya and Lúcia traded a glance and set Reg on the table.

Reg began tapping in sync with Jade.

"That's it," said Emily. She stood up and kissed Jade full on the mouth. "That's brilliant."

"Huh?" said Jade. "Not that I'm arguing, but—"

"Morse code," said Emily.

Jade tapped the table four times in rapid succession. She paused and then tapped twice, followed by three scratching motions. After another pause, she followed with three scratches.

Reg began moving his legs even before Amaliya got him in contact with the table. He marched to the pouch of water, turned his eye stalks to Jade and raised himself up on his front legs.

"The boy's a freaking genius!"

"What just happened here?" asked Amaliya.

"I tapped out H2O in Morse code. Reg found the water."

"He had a one in three chance," said Emily, "We need to do another test."

"Sure," said Jade, "Rearrange the stuff. My money's still on the crab."

"Maybe try one of the others."

"You're really going to make my bang out ibuprofen?"

"We have to be sure."

"Fine." Jade chewed her lip for a second. She began tapping and scratching at the table, with pauses between.

With Lúcia and Amaliya's help, Reg made contact with the table. He walked to the bottle of ibuprofen and tapped it with his pincer.

"Who loves ya, baby!" exclaimed Jade, slamming her fist down on the table.

Reg began to float away.

Amaliya and Lúcia reached out to catch him in their hands. Each took the side nearest and rubbed his belly with a finger. Reg's little legs pistoned in the air.

"It worked, Em, it worked." said Jade.

Emily was at the counter with her back to the table.

"Em? Whatcha doin'?"

Emily turned to sit down with a sketch of a scarecrow in a Hawaiian shirt drawn on paper with the corner of a granola bar used as a crude pencil.

Emily shrugged. "What? You work with what you've got." She bit the worn end off the granola bar and chewed. "I've been up all night."

"Can you tap out TOMIA?" asked Emily between bites.

Jade tapped and scratched at the table.

Reg began to float away.

Lúcia pressed him back down, holding him gently in place.

Nothing happened. There were audible sighs around the table.

Reg's eye stalks extended straight up. He raised himself up on his legs, pressing against Lúcia's palm. Reg began tapping rapidly at the table with scratches and pauses in between.

Jade turned her eyes toward the ceiling and mumbled under her breath.

Reg stopped. Jade stopped.

All eyes were on Jade, including Reg.

"It came pretty fast," said Jade. "And I'm the first one to admit my Morse is a bit rusty."

"And?" said Amaliya.

"I'm pretty sure he asked if anyone would like more tea?"

"Yes." Amaliya plucked Reg off the table and kissed him on the back. "Yes! You did it."

Jade grinned and resumed tapping at the table.

"What did you say this time?" asked Lúcia.

"I said, Hi Mia."

* * *

In the stateroom

"You never gave up," said Jade. She had her hand draped over Amaliya's bare shoulder. The couple was secured under the covers and facing each other. The only light in the room was spilling in from the open doorway.

Amaliya puckered up and moved toward Jade. Jade met her lips half way.

"I like this," said Jade. "This is nice."

"I know," said Amaliya. "Just a little longer, then we'll finish painting. Promise."

Jade stared.

"The hull," said Amaliya. "It still says, The Bla."

"Meh," said Jade. "It can wait."

"Captain?"

Jade pulled her hand from beneath the covers and spread her fingers. She waited for Amaliya to do the same. Jade wove her fingers in with Amaliya's before leaning in to lay a peck on her lips.

Amaliya sighed.

A shadow spilled over the floor as the silhouettes of Emily and Lúcia moved across the doorway. A flash of light from the hallway glinted off Reg, who was perched on the shoulder of Lúcia's jumpsuit, hanging on by his pincers.

"Come on in," said Jade.

"But no boots in the bed," said Amaliya.

Lúcia and Emily were grinning.

"What?" said Jade.

Lúcia and Emily each produced two 500 mL emergency water ration pouches from behind their backs.

"Good thinking crew," said Jade. "Staying hydrated is an important aspect of any—"

Emily chuckled. Lúcia smirked.

"What?" said Amaliya.

"Taste it," said Lúcia.

"Um... The color's a little off." Jade took the pouch that was offered. "And it's hot."

"It's fine," said Emily. "It's supposed to be that way. We had to put it in the water pouches so it wouldn't float away."

Amaliya reached out for her pouch while Jade uncocked the valve on the pouch in her hand. A brown blob floated in the air in front of her. She stared at it for some time.

"Oh, come on," said Emily. She leaned forward and slurped the blob out of the air.

"What?" said Jade.

"Would anyone like more tea?" said Lúcia.

"It's..." Amaliya put the pouch to her lips and squeezed. "Ahh," she said.

Jade did the same.

"I always considered myself a coffee gal," said Jade. "but this is good. You grow tea in the garden, Lúcia?"

Lúcia shook her head.

"Reg fixed our galley dispenser," said Emily. "At least enough to make tea."

"No shit," said Jade. "I told you that boy's a genius."

"I think he had help," said Emily.

Jade sat up and looked at Reg. On her upturned palm she tapped and scratched Morse code for 'Thank you.'"

Reg bounced excitedly.

"I said thank you," Jade explained. "I assume he got the repair instructions from Mia."

"Well, don't just stand there, girls." Amaliya grabbed the top cover and flung it aside. "We're having snuggle time."

"I thought you were painting the hull?" said Lúcia.

"Later," said Jade. "Family time, first. If you don't mind dealing with the zero G a little longer."

"Family time," said Lúcia, stepping out of her boots and unzipping her jumpsuit. "I like it."

"Me too," said Emily.

With all four women nestled between the sheets, Amaliya pulled up the top cover.

Reg drifted in the air above. Every so often, someone would reach out to rub his belly and stop him from floating away.

* * *

12