Tales from the Stream Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Must have been really bad. What they left behind."

"Two generations later and the genetic defects are still manifesting. Most people don't make it to thirty before detecting the early stages of some sort of cancer. That's how I ended up with me pirate leg." Joan pulled up her trousers to reveal the prosthetic.

Amaliya wrapped her arms around Joan and hugged her tight.

Jade wheeled out from under the starboard nacelle. "Found it," she said. "Actually Reg found it. I told you the boy's a genius."

Jade stood up holding something akin to a large metal danish in her hand. "Stress fracture in the primary cooling pump. There's redundancy, but with only one pump it's a struggle to keep the reaction under control. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these ships didn't..."

Jade looked at Amaliya. She was still holding Joan to her chest. Emily and Lúcia had joined in and Aidoru was on her way over.

"What'd I miss?" said Jade.

"Shh," said Amaliya.

Jade shrugged and joined in the hugging.

Amaliya reached over and wiped a smudge of grease from Jade's cheek.

* * *

A few minutes later.

"Biological manufacturing," said Jade.

"That's right," said Joan. "And medicines. As much as the pharmaceutical companies would like you to believe they manufacture miracles, most medicines come from plants. The scientists just tweak what nature has already provided and tailor it for a specific disease fighting task.

"We don't have much science on Nauja Vilnius, mostly thoughts and prayers. But, because we're so low tech, we've also made very little impact on the planet. We've got biological diversity here like none other. In these vast forests, there are thousands upon thousands of unique species of plants. I just need to get some scientists interested in studying them.

"I figure if I can establish some trade routes, it might turn Nauja Vilnius into something besides a quaint tourist stop with architecturally interesting churches. Then maybe one day, with all of us working together, we can slow the cancer and reverse some of the genetic damage, or at least be able to synthesize suitable biological replacements."

"Plants, huh?" said Jade. She turned her eyes to Reg, who was still perched on her shoulder. Reg turned his eye stalks to Jade.

Jade glanced back at the group. "Plants," she mused, rubbing her chin.

Joan locked eyes on Jade.

Amaliya rolled her eyes. "Oh, just say it, honey."

"If only we knew somebody who was good with plants," said Jade.

Reg pushed up on his frontmost legs and began to bounce.

"Oh, I know!" Jade smirked.

"What?" said Joan.

"Reginald here's not much of a pirate either," said Jade. "He's a harvester crab. And who knows more about plants than..." Jade surveyed the group, moving her eyes from one person to the next. "Anyone? Anyone?"

"Harvester crabs," grumbled Amaliya.

"Huh? Huh?" said Jade. "I told you ole Reginald's a genius."

Jade picked up one of Reg's pincers in her hand. She began tapping at it with her finger.

"What's she doing?" asked Joan.

"You have been handed down a task from God, Miss Silver," said Lúcia. "To help your people. And I believe She has sent us here to aid you on your journey. The captain is recruiting help."

"Captain Jade's speaking to Mia," said Emily.

"Help? Who's Mia?" said Joan, glancing around. "Where's Mia?"

"Long story," said Amliya. She turned to Emily.

"Tomia. Takahashi-Ono Machine Intelligence for Agriculture. Mia, to her friends. She's the artificial intelligence on an old orbital farm we visited," said Emily. "Reg is one of her harvester crabs. They can communicate though the net, but Reg really only understands Morse code."

Joan nodded. "Oh, and with Jade being in the Navy..."

"Yep."

"Interesting."

"There's literally hundreds of crabs like Reg on Mia's farm," said Emily. "And as far as we know, for the past century or so, they've been having tea parties."

"Tea parties?" said Joan.

"In the middle of a vast profusion of wild flowers," said Amailya, sighing. "The whole place smells like bee balm as soon as you clear the airlock."

"Interesting."

"If anyone knows the science of plants..." said Emily.

Jade looked up. She held her hand up to Reg's pincer and they met with a high five. "Mia's willing to help," said Jade. "She's asking for volunteers as we speak."

"Volunteers?" said Joan.

"An advance guard. A small expeditionary force of harvester crabs to scour the forests looking for any plants that look promising for the medicines you have in mind. Mia's cross-referencing with medical journals."

"That's... That's wonderful," said Joan. "Can they synthesize and manufacture as well?"

"No," said Jade. "For that, you'll have to sail to the station. Mia asked me to give you the coordinates and also asked that I pass along your transponder code so she'll know when you're on your way. She's willing to help however she can."

"Transponder code? Sure," said Joan. "Oh, this is wonderful." She turned to each member of The Black Prince crew and hugged them tightly.

"When she gives you a flower head," said Amaliya, "hold it like a teacup and pretend to drink. Like this." Amaliya pinched her thumb and finger together and brought her hand to her lips.

"I will," said Joan. "You bet I will."

* * *

On board The Black Prince.

"Now that I've got the model number for the cooling pump," said Jade, as everyone floated through the airlock. "I'll check with my contacts in the industry. Even with a ship of that age, I bet we can find one. Or at least someone to forge a suitable aftermarket replacement."

Joan nodded. As she did, she craned her neck to peer down the corridor.

"I wish we could 3D print one for you," said Jade, "But with a critical part like that, I don't want to take a chance--"

"Is that...?" said Joan. She turned in the direction of the ships lounge. "Is that a Megacomf?"

"The genuine article," said Amaliya. "Wonderfully pneumatic, if you ask me."

Lúcia grinned. "You haven't made it..."

"...until you've made it on a Megacomf," finished Joan.

"You know Saint Brian of the Megacomf?"

"I'm familiar with his work. I didn't know he was up for sainthood."

"Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part." Lúcia took Joan by the hand and led her down the corridor. "But who else brings such comfort to the masses?"

"True," said Joan.

Aidoru sprinted past them, magnetic boot clicking madly on the deck, and launched herself toward the ceiling. She reached up, pushed down hard to reverse direction, bounced off the Megacomf cushions to do it again.

Jade looked at Aidoru and shook her head. Aidoru sat down, clicked her boots to the floor, and pouted.

"The captain gives a wonderful massage," said Emily.

"It has been said..." said Jade.

"And Amaliya gives a wonderful happy ending."

"I do," said Amaliya.

Jade reached out and wiggled her fingers. "May I?"

"Oh, please do," said Joan.

"I think the question is," said Amaliya, wiggling her finger, but in a different manner, "may I?"

Joan blushed. And then nodded.

Amaliya touched a finger to Joan's cheek. "Take off your clothes and stay awhile?"

Lúcia gathered up Aidoru and they took up station on one end of the Megacomf.

"Maybe a little more room?" said Jade.

Lúcia stood up, taking Aidoru by the hands. "Would anyone like tea while we're up?"

"Um, no thanks, I'm fine," said Joan, her voice muffled by the Megacomf. Her clothes floated just above the back cushions.

Jade, Amaliya, and Emily shook their heads.

"Be right back," said Lúcia.

"Oh, Captain," said Joan. "That is nice."

"Magic fingers," said Emily. "Gifted, isn't she?"

"Oh!" Joan gasped. "Amaliya."

"Magic finger," said Amaliya, grinning. "Singluar. Unless you need more."

"Mmm," Joan moaned.

* * *

Just outside The Black Prince airlock, hours later.

"You sure you won't come with us?" said Emily.

"Everyone I know lives here. Well, except for you lot. And I've got work to do on my ship so she's ready when the new cooling pump comes."

Lúcia curtsied. "It was lovely to meet you Miss Joan of the Long Silvers."

Joan smiled. "You as well."

Aidoru spoke up.

"Miss Long Joan Silver,

"May we see your parrot, please?

"Shining one more time."

"Of course," said Joan. She reached up to touch her shoulder. "Oh, and one more thing."

Joan dashed her hand inside her pocket. She pulled out a small card, handing it to Aidoru. On the card was printed, '20% off any gift shop purchase'.

"For Toblerones," whispered Joan. "Next time you visit."

Aidoru grinned from ear to ear.

* * *

12