Tales from the Stream Ch. 21

Story Info
A swashbuckling story of adventure in space.
5.7k words
4.88
2.5k
6

Part 21 of the 28 part series

Updated 12/12/2023
Created 04/08/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note

If you haven't read the other twenty chapters leading up to this story, that's okay, you can still enjoy it and figure out most things from context. But you should know about Aidoru. Aidoru is a genetically engineered J-Pop star who presents as triplets in three separate bodies, but shares a single, linked consciousness. Also, as a side-effect of the genetic engineering, Aidoru speaks only in haiku.

* * *

Chapter 22: You Complete Me

In Mia's meadow

"Five, six, seven, eight." Aidoru clapped out time.

"That's it boys, you're looking good.

"I think you've got it."

Turning a circle on eight tiny legs, with their right pincers up in the air and clacking to the beat, were a dozen or so harvester crabs arrayed in a line before Aidoru.

"One more time, okay?

"Then I think we can call it.

"Five, six, seven, eight." Aidoru clapped out a beat.

This time she joined the harvester crabs in their moves, snapping her fingers above her heads as she turned with them.

"And, slide to the left.

"Pincers wide on those jazz hands.

"Kick! Slide to the right."

Ten meters away, on the far side of a small shed, Amaliya was busy punching a length of structural carbon fiber panel with gloved fists. The narrow panel had been partially buried in the ground so that about two meters was sticking up. On a nearby table was a tablet computer showing a man doing the same thing with a punching bag.

Amaliya hopped up on the balls of her feet, danced around the carbon fiber panel landing two quick jabs, before shifting her weight to her back leg and lining up a kick. The man on the video did the same.

Next to a furrow in black earth, Lúcia watched Amaliya for a few minutes, leaning her weight on the shovel she had driven into the soil in front of her feet. Resting one hand on the shovel, Lúcia removed the glove from her other hand and wiped her brow.

Lúcia waved to Amaliya. Amaliya smiled in return, then dipped her head to continue punching and kicking the plank of carbon fiber.

Lúcia took three steps to the garden shed and placed the shovel against the outer wall. She picked up a pouch of water and drained a quarter of it before sauntering over to where Aidoru was directing her harvester crab chorus line.

"They look good," said Lúcia.

"They are very good," said Aidoru.

"For me to teach them further,

"Would gain nothing more."

Lúcia laid her hand on the Aidoru closest to her. "Their mastery of the dance is a testament to your skills as an instructor."

As Aidoru shrugged, Captain Joan cleared the nearby rise and marched over to stand beside Lúcia and Aidoru. She watched the synchronized movements of the dozen crabs arrayed in front of Aidoru. "Dancing crabs," she said. "Nice."

"Aidoru has instilled in them..." said Lúcia. She then paused, turning to look over one shoulder then the next. Lúcia finished in a whisper, "the art of the dance."

Joan nodded, but kept her eyes on the harvester crabs. She leaned her head toward Lúcia. "Why are we whispering?"

Lúcia shrugged. Aidoru shrugged. The crabs turned another circle.

At the end of the harvester crab's routine, Captain Joan put her hands together with applause. Lúcia joined her. Aidoru frowned.

"They're really good," said Joan. "You should be proud."

"Yeah, nice moves," hollered Amaliya, glancing over at the group for a moment before attacking the carbon fiber panel with renewed vigor.

"Perfect, I would say." Aidoru sighed.

"They no longer need my help.

"My work here is done."

All three Aidoru shuffled a meter into the meadow and plopped down on the grass, sitting back bent and shoulders slumped forward.

"Ma chérie." Lúcia walked to where Aidoru sat and perched beside her.

"I'm not good with plants," said Aidoru.

"There's nothing for me to do,

"Except more dancing."

Lúcia opened her arms, encircling all three Aidoru and pulling them close. In the distance, Amaliya let out a mighty yell and unleashed a roundhouse kick on the piece of carbon fiber panel.

"You bored, hon?" asked Joan, walking over to Lúcia and Aidoru. "Need to get outside?"

Aidoru nodded.

"I've got a load of supplies to pick up and a contingent of harvester crabs to drop off on Nauja Vilnius. Want to come along?"

"What about Jamie?" asked Lúcia.

"She's out space walking. Patching up micro-meteor damage that's accumulated on Mia's hull over the years."

"Emily?" asked Lúcia.

"With Sister Jane, helping to restock and organize the kitchen."

Lúcia turned to look at Amaliya. "Amaliya?"

"No way, sister." Amaliya answered between punches, her breaths ragged. "I can't stop now. One more set of videos and I'm a third degree Tae Bo master." Amaliya punched the carbon fiber panel. "Hell, yeah!"

Lúcia opened her mouth for a moment, then closed it without speaking.

"You're worried about being away from your girl, huh?" said Captain Joan.

Lúcia nodded.

"It's a milk run, honey," said Joan. "I'll have her back before you know it. Probably before you finish planting this row here."

"Not even the stream is that fast," said Lúcia.

"Okay, maybe not. But I promise to have her back soon."

Aidoru straightened her posture.

"I could learn new skills," she said.

"With Captain Joan teaching me,

"I could sail the stream."

Lúcia nodded again. "If that is what you wish to do, I will await your return."

All three Aidoru grinned.

"Behave yourself," said Lúcia. "Be nice to Captain Joan."

All three Aidoru blushed.

"I miss you already, petite amie."

* * *

In Mia's garden

Lúcia knelt among the rows of leaf lettuce, snipping pieces here and there and holding them out to Sister Jane, who collected them in a stackable plastic crate she held propped against her hip. On either side of Lúcia, two harvester crabs were doing the same.

"God has blessed you with a green thumb, Sister," said Sister Jane. "I did not expect a new crop so soon."

"I have had much help." Lúcia paused and scratched at the back of one harvester crab and then the next. The crab on her right flipped over, so Lúcia rubbed his belly. She hung her head and sighed.

"You miss your Aidoru," said Sister Jane.

"Working in the garden keeps me busy."

The crab on Lúcia's left had flipped himself over as well and Lúcia was now rubbing them both.

"She should be home in a few days, yes? I heard chatter on the radio. They're on the final leg to Nauja Vilnius. You should radio the ship once they're back in normal space. I'm sure she'd like to hear your voice. Joan, too."

Lúcia nodded. "Let me help you with these crates, Sister."

"You are most kind."

Lúcia picked up two crates of lettuce greens. As Sister Jane was picking up her two crates, there was a whirring noise from the station's air lock.

"They're early," said Sister Jane, turning to Lúcia.

The inner door slid open. Joan stood at the entrance alone. She was sporting a black eye, bloody knuckles and wearing a frown. She never looked up.

Lúcia dropped her crates on the ground.

* * *

At the airlock entrance

Lúcia stood facing Sister Jane, her face buried in Sister Jane's jumpsuit.

"One more time?" said Captain Jade to Captain Joan. "You were ambushed where?"

"Just after we exited the stream at Nauja Vilnius. They were waiting. Corporate mercenaries. We just started braking maneuvers when they closed in. I tried to outrun them, but gravity braking threw everything off. By the time I adjusted..." Joan looked to Lúcia. "I'm sorry."

Lúcia's body jerked with a single sob. Sister Jane pulled her closer.

"They breached the hull. I had to heave to and patch before I could... I'm sorry."

"Who breached you?" asked Jade. "Did you notice anything that would identify them?"

"Goons hired by Aidoru's recording company, I assume. One of them said something about finishing out her contract one way or another as they dragged her off."

"Is she hurt?" Lúcia peeked out from Sister Jane's embrace.

"I don't think so," said Joan. "The one in charge... He made sure nobody... damaged the package, I think he said."

Lúcia looked Joan over from head to toe. "It seems they were less careful with you."

Joan nodded. A single tear welled in her left eye. As it streamed down her cheek, Lúcia encircled Joan in her arms.

"What are we going to do, Captain?" Amaliya walked up between Joan and Jade. Her hair was matted and drenched in sweat. Her boxing gloves were tied together and slung over her shoulder. "We can't let them get away with this."

"FOCCERs," said Jade.

"I know, right." Amaliya put her hands on her hips. "Fuckers."

"FOCCERs," repeated Jade.

"That's what I said."

"No," said Jade. "FOCCERs. Federation of Corporate Controlled Entertainers and Recording Artists."

"Honey, that's..." Amaliya chewed her lip for a moment. "FOCCERA?"

"Doesn't matter," said Jade. "What matters is they have one of our crew."

"The FOCCERs?" said Amaliya.

Jade nodded.

"Who comes up with these names?" Amaliya threw up her hands. "Middle-school students?"

Jade shrugged.

"You know what? I don't care." Amaliya scowled. "They've got Aidoru and we're getting her back."

"That's what I've been trying to--"

"How are we getting her back?" Amaliya said. "Do we have a plan?"

"Getting who back?" asked Emily, who had just arrived, hustling over with Jamie at her side.

"Aidoru," said Amaliya. "Her old record company--"

"FOCCERs?" said Jamie. "I bet it was FOCCERs. If ever there were a more wretched hive of scum and--"

"This is my fault," said Jade. "Has to be Xīn Shenzhen. One of those advertising AIs recognized her. Probably dropped a dime--"

"We need to find those FOCCERs." Jamie balled her hands. "And I need to punch one of them in the face."

"Damn it!" said Jade. "I should have seen this coming."

"Somebody find me a FOCCER." Jamie clenched her fists rhythmically.

"Right behind you, sister," said Amailya, casting her boxing gloves to the ground.

"I should have been more careful," said Joan. "I'm sorry, it's my f--"

"Stop!" Lúcia moved into the center of the group. She looked at Captain Joan first and then the others. "I don't blame anyone here for what has happened. You are my family. We are Aidoru's family. And Aidoru needs our help. Please. We cannot help her like this."

"Nouveau Paris," said Emily. "That's where they are."

"What?" said Jade. "How do you know--"

Emily held up the Michelin Guide tablet and tapped the screen with a fingernail. "Because that's where the FOCCER headquarters building is located. Where else would they take her?"

"We need a plan," said Jade.

"What's going on?" Mother Bertilda came marching through the airlock with two young novices in tow. "Sister Jane tells me Aidoru's been--"

"Kidnapped," said Jade. "By FOCCERs."

"I see." Mother Bertilda pressed her lips together. She turned to the novice on her right. "Novice Lenore, send an encrypted message to Mother Estrella of the Christina Ebner. Tell her... Tell her Bertie needs to call in a favor."

All eyes were on Mother Bertilda as Novice Lenore scurried off.

Mother Bertilda leveled her gaze on Captain Jade. "I assume you have a plan, Captain?"

* * *

In Mia's meadow

Captain Jade was pacing a line in front of Mia's command and control interface. A small knot of harvester crabs was gathered there, too, watching.

"Captain Jade," said Mia. "I have a report from Marie-Anne. Would you like to hear it?"

Jade stopped pacing and faced the metal cylinder that was Mia's interface. She nodded.

"Marie-Anne says, 'I'm in.' End of message."

"The mainframe? She's breached the mainframe? Already?"

"Yes, I believe that is what she refers to in her communication."

Emily came striding over, tablet computer in hand, and threw her arms around Mia. Emily kissed her on the side of the metal cylinder. "Relay that to Marie-Anne for me," said Emily. "I'm just getting logged in."

"I will, Emily. And... just a moment... just a moment... I have received an encrypted video feed. It's source is the Bureau D'Arrondissements, Nouveau Paris. But it is not from Marie-Anne. I can route it to your tablet."

Emily tapped and swiped at her tablet computer. Jade watched over her shoulder.

"Val," said Jade, smiling.

"Oui, Capitaine," said the woman on the video feed. "Marie-Anne has apprised me of your situation. You will be given priority docking at the space elevator as soon as you arrive."

"Thank you," said Jade. "I owe you big time for this."

"De rien." On the screen Val waved her hand as if shooing a fly. "I've also taken the liberty of launching an investigation into the tax records of the FOCCER executives. I was able to freeze their assets under the emergency provisions of the anti-terrorist act. It won't last forever, particularly once their lawyers get wind of it, but it should slow their plans. Keep them occupied."

"Thanks, Val."

"Good hunting, Captain." The screen flashed 'Call ended' and then went blank.

Amaliya jogged over. "Full load of sabot rounds in the forward rail guns, Captain. Transferred from aft magazines."

"That was fast."

"Jamie helped. I just need to borrow Emily here to help me override the safety protocols so we can use them offensively. If it comes to that."

Emily turned to Jade. "Cap?"

"Go."

Jade watched Emily and Amaliya hustle toward the airlock. On their way, they encountered a column of two dozen harvester crabs. As they approached, each harvester crab turned, raised a single pincer horizontally just over its eye stalks. Each crab dropped its pincer as Emily and Amaliya passed.

"Dance fighting brigade?" asked Jade.

"Recon," said Mia. "All volunteers. And yes, many of them are from Aidoru's dance troupe. They have expressed deep concern for her well-being and a strong desire to see her returned safely to this station."

"I'll take all the help I can get," said Jade.

Lúcia shuffled over to where Jade and Mia stood. She wrapped her arms around Jade and squeezed tight.

"We'll get her back," said Jade.

"Message from Marie-Anne," said Mia. "Binary coded. Shall I translate?"

"Please." Jade put an arm around Lúcia, holding her close.

"Contract buyout offer rejected," said Mia.

Lúcia looked up. "Buy out?"

"I offered up my Dogecoin stash to buy out the remainder of Aidoru's recording contract."

Lúcia nodded and rested her head against Jade's shoulder.

"There is more. A counter offer," said Mia. "Dogecoin, plus conversion of performer's contract to adult sim-stim for a duration of--"

"Adult..." Lúcia paused. "Sim-stim?"

"It's just..." Jade attempted to pull Lúcia close. Lúcia pulled back.

"Adult sim-stim?" Lúcia balled her fists. "My girlfriend?"

"They're bluffing. Trying to rattle our resolve. That's all."

"Where is Amaliya?" Lúcia began marching toward the airlock. "Amaliya!" she called.

"Here, Lúcia." Amaliya ran over. "What is it?"

"You are a third degree Tae Bo master, are you not?"

"I have completed all of the videos." Amaliya pressed her closed fist into her palm, bowing in Lúcia's direction. "How may I be of service?"

"I wish to hit something... someone... when we find those responsible for Aidoru's ordeal... I wish to hurt them." Lucia sighed. She looked into Amaliya's eyes. "I humbly request you to train me in the ancient art of... Tae Bo."

"It would be my honor, Lúcia-san." Amaliya bowed a second time before taking Lúcia by the hand and leading her to the length of carbon fiber panel planted in the ground next to the shed. "This is your opponent," Amaliya said.

Captain Jade turned to watch Lúcia go. She opened her mouth, but her words fell silent.

"Captain Jade. Captain Jade." Novice Lenore came jogging over. "Good news. Mother Bertilda's plan is working. The stock price volatility is causing a large sell-off. But not so quickly that the commission will step in to stop it."

"Stock price?" Jade looked at Novice Lenore. "Volatility?"

"Did Mother Bertilda not explain her plan?"

"No, Lenore. I have no idea what any of this means."

"Pump and dump," said Lenore.

"That I understand, honey. That I understand." Jade took Lenore by the cheeks and leaned in to kiss her on the forehead.

Novice Lenore blushed.

"Sorry," mumbled Jade. "I got excited. I shouldn't have--"

"It's quite alright, Captain." Lenore stood, still red in the cheeks, peering up at Captain Jade with her eyes closed and her lips puckered.

"Thank you, Lenore." Jade leaned in to bush against Lenore's lips. "I appreciate your assistance. Please convey my appreciation to Mother Bertilda as well."

Lenore smiled, curtsied, and ran off.

"What just happened, Captain Jade," asked Mia.

"Well, I got carried away and kissed Lenore without asking her first and that's a no-no, because--"

"I understand the concept of consent, Captain. What is... pump and dump?"

"Mother Bertilda's plan. The sisterhood is combining forces to manipulate the stock price of the record company holding Aidoru's contract. They're trying to cause the company grief by messing with their market value."

"Oh," said Mia. "Oh. I like it."

* * *

Near the garden shed

"This morning you came to me as an apprentice," said Amaliya, holding a white bandanna in her hands. "Now, you leave as a third degree master in the ancient art of... Tae Bo."

"Hai!" Amaliya snapped the bandana straight to reveal a rising sun in red at its center. She tied it around Lúcia's forehead.

Lúcia pressed her fist into her palm and bowed. The area under her eyes was rimmed in red. Her left eye twitched once.

"That's a lot of videos for one morning," said Jade.

Amaliya "We fast-forwarded through the slow parts."

Jade turned to Lúcia. "I'm worried about you."

"The FOCCERs stole my girlfriend, Captain. They do to not get to walk away without so much as a bloody nose."

"Violence is not the way, Lúcia."

"Yes... Yes it is," said Amaliya. "It is with Tae Bo. If there's anything I've learned from the twenty-seven videos in the series it's that violence is definitely--"

Jade placed her finger over her lips and then turned to Lúcia. "It's not Lúcia's way."

"Don't shush me." Amaliya faced Jade with a hand on her hip.

"I'm not..."

"You're shushing me."

Lúcia balled her fists. Her left eye was twitching noticeably. "I need to punch someone in the face. Preferably soon."

* * *

FOCCER HQ, Nouveau Paris

Captain Jade knelt behind a two meter wide concrete planter on the other side of the street from the FOCCER building. She was accompanied by Emily, Joan, Amaliya, and Lúcia. Amaliya and Lúcia were both wearing rising sun bandannas tied around their foreheads.

Across the street, a glint of sunlight shone from the back of the first harvester crab to emerge from the alleyway next to the FOCCER building. A long stream of harvester crabs followed. Each one turned to face the street, lifted a pincer in salute, and then began scaling the walls.

Within minutes, dozens of shining metal crabs swarmed the outside of FOCCER HQ.

Jade turned to Emily. "How's things looking so far?"

"The recon crabs have started rerouting feeds from the building security system." Emily tapped and pinched at her tablet. Two small squares of grainy black and white video appeared, followed by a third. "I've got eyes inside."

"Any sign of Aidoru?"

"Not yet," said Emily, "but she's okay, I know that."

"I appreciate your optimism."

"And apparently, she's giving them hell," said Emily, pointing to the tablet screen. Marching past the camera on the video feed were a line of three FOCCER employees. Each was carrying a large shipping box with the Toblerone label printed on the outside.

12