Tales of the Wastelander Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

******************************

Samara, Chelsea and Markie sat around a fire, which they'd built to ward off the chill of the night. They had learned quickly during their first night that fire was essential if they were going to stay alive and not freeze. The trio were busy chattering, but quietly, as they had yet to encounter anything that could or would threaten them. They spoke of what they'd seen and how the world had changed and, in some ways, not for the better.

The trio knew they'd been lucky so far, running into no threats and nothing else of consequence. They all sat close to the fire, and as though it should of have been full spring, the weather looked like the tail end of winter. Snow still dotted the landscape, but the further south they went, the less snow there was. Chelsea sighed as she voiced a thought that had been on her mind for a while now.

"I wonder if anyone survived."

"What do you mean, Chels?" Samara asked.

"Up here, when the bombs dropped. I know it wasn't just nukes, but I'm curious if anyone made it," she said, giving voice to her thought.

"Don't know. Might be possible, depending on where they were when the bombs hit," Samara stated, partially agreeing with her friend.

"As long as their genetics weren't weak, and they were in a more remote area, I think so," Markie said, poking at the fire.

"Remote area, OK. But what makes you think genetics had any hand in their survival?" Chelsea asked.

"Simple. When it comes to surviving in a hostile environment, you need to not only have good instincts, but a natural immunity to certain conditions. In the case of nuclear fallout, chemical gas, etc., if your body can't tolerate any of that to any extent, it's because of weak genetics," Markie surmised.

"I suppose that makes a certain kind of sense. Us, we got lucky, being selected for the CryoTek program. They not only made sure that we could survive in this new world, but thrive," Samara replied.

"Speaking of which, what's your story, Markie? How did you get selected for the CryoTek program?" Chelsea wondered.

"I'm sure that my story would bore the ever living hell out of you," Markie joked. She then saw the expectant looks on her new friends' faces and was surprised, but pleasantly so.

"Ummm... OK! Well, it started when I was living in Vancouver, on my own. I was happy enough living life, but felt like something could have been better in it. I... didn't exactly have the greatest luck with guys, always choosing those who were wrong for me. They were... abusive and some in the worst possible ways," Markie started out.

"They would often make me feel like I was small, little, inconsequential. Like I was a nobody in this world and nothing and no one could convince them otherwise. After being in such abusive relationships long enough, I believed it. That I was a nobody, that I had nothing and never would, not outside of them. It took me a while before I found the strength and courage to step away, believing I was better than that," Markie went on.

"I had applied for the CryoTek program just as my last relationship was falling down around my ears. Derek was... a real piece of work, and I was glad to see him gone. It wasn't until after he moved out that I received the letter from CryoTek. How it told me I was eligible for Gold Status in the program and the money it would afford me. I was beyond excited to get in and, most of all, wake up with the money waiting for me!" she grinned, her enthusiasm bleeding through.

"I think we were all excited about the money. Hell, I knew I was! It was coin that I needed to get rid of some unhealthy debts that were digging into my finances," Chelsea agreed, feeling Markie's excitement. "I'm sorry, Markie. Please, continue."

"Thanks. When I woke up and shit had changed and not for the better, I was just... bluh! I had hoped to come out in a new, advanced and better world, but came out in one which Jeremy was just getting a handle on controlling shit," Markie went on. "But there was a bit of light during that time. I met someone who liked me for me, who didn't feel like I needed to be changed, just loved."

"What happened?" Samara wondered, engaged in Markie's story.

"Jeremy happened. Mason was a kind man, a decent man, and he was the one who had initially resisted Jeremy when he made his bid to control the vault. We wanted to be free of the oppressive rules and were gaining traction among Jeremy's supporters. Many were willing to come over to our side, and some already had. It looked like Jeremy would be overruled, but he never was one for playing fair."

"Mason was one of the first ones killed when Jeremy and his goons caught us by surprise. As we were discussing what we were going to do, they walked into our meeting. Without a word, they brought their guns to bear and killed everyone. Everyone except me," she told them, revealing the gunshot wound beneath her cheekbone. Markie then traced it along to where the exit wound was, right beneath her cranium.

"Jesus! I'm surprised you survived!" Samara told her, staring at the ugly scar.

"So am I! I lost a lot of blood, but I regained consciousness when they were disposing of the bodies of my friends. It hurt like hell, but when they were busy with dragging the corpses out, I crawled as fast as I could for the passage back down. The wound hurt like a bitch, but I walked back down from the house topside, to try to reach the vault."

"It was then I discovered the hidden exit, by accident, when I was trying to cling to the wall for support. I vanished behind the wall and I kept walking, until I found that security station where you two found me," Markie said.

"So, you hid there this whole time?" Chelsea asked.

"Most of the time. There were a good deal of supplies there, along with a storage locker full of medical supplies and weapons. I spent months resting as that shot had nearly killed me and I was damn lucky to be alive! Because it was just me there, I lived like a queen, but I had no one to share it all with. Jeremy took everything and everyone that I loved, so I made it my mission to see that bastard pay," Markie growled.

"Slowly, after I was better, I started reaching out to those who were unaware of what he had done. Sure, there were those who knew, but they were under this thumb and wouldn't snitch on him. So, I leaked out certain videos of what he'd done. He had Ron destroy the copies from the main control center, but I had copies of the massacre at the outpost I was living at. I leaked them out to Erica, his wife, and showed her what her husband had done. From there, it was all downhill for him."

"It was you who put that note underneath my pillow?" Chelsea asked, her eyes widening with realization.

"Yup," Markie responded.

"How the fuck did you do that without being seen? Ron would have seen you on the cameras!" Chelsea told her.

"I spent the better part of three years watching, waiting and observing. I knew which routes Ron was watching and when, so I timed my pace and route perfectly. Same with which routes the guards patrolled and which ones they didn't. Because of the hidden security station, I learned of all the hidden pathways in the vault. There's a lot of hidden passages in there, and I'm sure the place was designed that way," Markie stated.

"It's a damn good thing that Jeremy didn't find any of those, or everyone would be in real big trouble! Hell, we might not have made it out of that vault! Alive, that is," Samara replied, shuddering at the thought.

"You got that right! Anyway, because I'm so small, it was easy for me to stay out of the camera's angle. So, I roamed across the vault, discovering every secret, emptying every cache until I had everything. I didn't want Jeremy to stumble across anything by accident, which would have added to his stockpile of weapons and food. Now, because of you two helping Erica, Jeremy is gone," Markie finished with a smile.

"I sure as hell hope so. If he's still alive, he's likely a prisoner," Chelsea stated.

"I saw he was coming down after you two. The security station feed showed as much, but I saw no more than that. We were gone before I could see what happened to him," Markie stated.

"My money's on Erica catching up to the bastard. She's been out for his blood since I learned about the whole conflict that was going on," Chelsea stated with finality.

"Quite likely," Markie smirked. "Ok, so I know your story, Chelsea, but what about yours, Samara? Why did you join up with the CryoTek program?"

Samara blushed slightly, but told Markie her story about Ben, her entry into the program, everything. Markie just stared as Samara laid out the entire plan that she had for finding the man. At the end, she just sat there, stumped and flummoxed at Samara's actions. She then looked up at the woman and shook her head.

"So, you went under, went through all the rigorous testing, for some guy?" Markie replied, almost laughing.

"He's not just 'some guy', Markie. He's 'the' guy. My guy. The one who I want to make my husband, have him fill me with his children and grow old with him. He's the man I spent most of my life waiting for and almost didn't see," Samara told her.

"You knew him from before?" Markie asked.

"We both did. We went to the same high school together, and Ben was always around. He was a little odd and a bit off at times, but always honest and endearing. It wasn't until senior year that Sambo here realized that she was in love with the man," Chelsea supplied.

"Oh, hush you!" Samara grumbled.

"Hah! I think I know what you mean there, Chels! Women be looking for Superman, yet walk right by Clark Kent every day!" Markie laughed.

"Mic drop!" Chelsea giggled, while she mimed dropping a microphone.

"Make fun of me all you want, but I'm here and so is he. That's enough to keep me going," Samara snapped.

"Not making fun of you! It's just a little funny, endearing and, I have to say, incredibly romantic, that you did all of this for him!" Markie giggled.

"I guess it is, isn't it?" Samara chuckled.

"Are you certain he made it, though? You know how those CryoTek facilities were and how some of them went completely dark," Markie told her.

"He's alive. There were some video transmissions from the Ontario vault recently. I saved the recordings while I was entertaining Ron. They showed Ben getting out of his pod alive and that he left the vault," Chelsea told Markie, who nodded upon hearing this.

"So, the direction we're headed, that's where you think he is?" Markie asked.

"Yeah. We're going south, through what remains of the U.S.," Chelsea said.

"Wouldn't going through Ontario be easier?" Markie wondered.

"No. From Falcon's Landing, all the way to Thunder Bay, is nothing but long, winding roads that cut through swamps and lakes. Loads of bridges on the way too, and with six-hundred years of no maintenance, it's highly unlikely that we'd get there in good time," Samara replied.

"Hmm. I suppose that makes sense. I hope we find Ben soon, then!" Markie told Samara, clasping her shoulder.

"So do I."

"Does Ben know how much he means to you?" Markie asked, curious about the situation.

"Oh, he does. I'm certain of it. If he's forgotten at all, I'll be sure to remind his ass the best way I know how!" she smirked while rubbing her hands on her body. This left the other two women in stitches, knowing that Samara would not give up until she found Ben. Alive or dead.

"Please don't tell me you're going to invoke death by snu-snu on the poor man?" Chelsea snickered.

"He admitted to me it would be the best way to go. Besides, I'm sure he wouldn't complain when he sees me. But I will have to give that man a piece of my mind when I see him!" Samara growled. Markie was a little taken aback at Samara's ferocity there, while Chelsea erupted into full, belly shaking laughter.

"Remind me not to get on your bad side!" Markie joked.

"Smart girl," Chelsea giggled as she finished up with her laughter. "So, who's taking first watch?"

"I'll do it," Samara stated, hefting one of the rifles.

The women then agreed on a sleep rotation, so there would always be someone watching over the other two. Markie and Chelsea then dug out their sleeping bags and cozied up to the fire before lying down to sleep. Samara kept her vigil over her friends, as she watched out for anything that would creep up on them in the dark. Her mind wandered as she eyed the surrounding murk, but she quelled such dark thoughts.

She then thought about Ben and how she saw he was alive. Samara wondered where he was right now and what he was doing. She hoped he learned of her being in the same program, but seeing as he was the only one in his vault, she doubted it. The only thing she could hope for was that he was alive, well and in friendly company that would keep him safe.

******************************

Ben blinked against the sunlight streaming into the room as it hit his face. He came awake and inhaled deeply, coming out of his slumber and stretched. He looked to his left and right, finding that both women had gone. Ben wondered where they could have gotten to, but his nose told him they'd probably headed down for breakfast.

His own stomach growled as the smell of food became more prominent. Sighing, Ben got out of bed and got dressed before walking out of the room to fetch himself some breakfast. Just as he walked into the hallway, he saw Lawrie leaving the room he shared with Tasya. Seeing the smile on the merchant's face told Ben that Lawrie had a night as eventful as his.

"Good morning, Ben! Fancy meeting you out here at this hour! Hungry?" Lawrie greeted.

"Starving! The more food I smell, the more my stomach growls, 'feed me!'" Ben joked.

"I know what you mean!" Lawrie laughed, and both men made their way downstairs to the common room.

"Had a fun night, did you?" Ben jibed as the men walked.

"Probably as fun as yours, going by the smile on your face," Lawrie fired back.

"Guilty as charged!" Ben grinned.

The men arrived in the common room and found it deserted, mostly. They spotted the women sitting at the table they had last night, yammering like a gaggle of geese. Lawrie's eyes widened slightly when he saw Mellany's face sharing that same glow that Ylva and Tasya bore. He looked down at Ben, who grinned up at the man, and Lawrie snorted a laugh.

"Keep my sister smiling, and we'll have no issues. Make her cry, then I might have to make you cry," Lawrie warned.

"That's fair!" Ben chuckled.

The men then joined the ladies at the table, all of them exchanging warm, good mornings. Food showed up at the table a few minutes later, which they all appreciated and dug in. It was similar to the protein-laden breakfasts that Ben had seen from the Before and was just as tasty. He ate with gusto, surprising even Ylva with how hungry he was.

"Someone looks like they need the energy," Tasya teased.

"If what you ladies did to Lawrie and I last night is any indication, we will need to eat well all day, every day," Ben fired back. Tasya's mouth hung open at the jab, before she closed it and blushed prettily.

"It's also why we're such sleepyheads, if you're wondering about why we dragged ourselves out so late, Mel," Lawrie stated, looking at his sister.

Mellany blushed hard, her face going a darker green than was usual. Ben and Ylva laughed as they ate, with Ylva blushing a little herself. The five of them ate and drank as they chatted, each one of them feeling upbeat. It didn't take them long to polish off the food set in front of them, as they were all ravenous. Ben and Lawrie then stood up, stating how they had business with the mayor, and excused themselves.

"Don't be leaving me behind! I want to know what's going on!" Ylva told them, rising to her feet.

"You want to join me with carrying out my idea, then?" Ben asked.

"Who else is going to watch your back and keep you alive out there?" Ylva questioned.

"Touche!"

With that, the trio left Mellany and Tasya behind at the inn, heading straight for the mayor's house. It resided in the center of the town, as such residences of importance often were. Ben learned from Lawrie while on their way that the mayor was elected from the populace.

When elected, the mayor often held that position, as long as he did a good job of helping the town and the people who lived in it. That it was the mayor's job to make life better and as easy for the townsfolk and the surrounding farmers. Mayors, who did the opposite and looked the other way, were often deposed, violently.

"That's a far cry from how things used to be done during the Before," Ben commented.

"We've heard the stories, so we all believed that it was that way of thinking that brought about the Collapse. So, those who survived resolved to change such things, after we came together in the first tribes. They cast those who wanted a return to the old ways out. Such greed has no place among us, especially those who want absolute power for themselves," Lawrie stated as they approached the mayor's home.

It was an extensive structure, made of dressed stone and wood, standing two stories tall. It was built in a fashion that reminded Ben of those mansions from his time. The major difference was that it was simply built and decorated, lacking the gaudy décor from the previous age. They then heard someone calling out to them as they neared the house.

"Lawrie! Glad to see you here!" Denys called out.

"Good to see you here too, Denys!" Lawrie told the guard captain. "Going to see the mayor, too?"

"Yeah. I still have to hand in my report to him," the man grumbled. "I hate being the bearer of grim news."

"Well, think of it this way; things could've gone worse for you and the militia. A lot worse," Ylva told the man.

"That's true," Denys stated as he walked with them.

A pair of guards stood at the door, eyeing everyone who approached, especially Ben. Their faces softened when Denys told them of Ben's aid in driving off the raider attack at the front gate, and they let him pass. The four of them walked inside, and Ben was impressed by what he saw.

The interior of the house was just as simple as the outside, but it was well made. Solid wood timbers, stripped and stained, gave the house a rustic feel. Roughly made iron and steel nails and coverings were placed over the various joints, giving the place feel like it was made in another age. Ben smiled at the workmanship of the home, as Denys led them towards the back, to the audience hall.

The hall was a sizeable room with a vaulted ceiling, with a pair of balconies on either side. As he gazed about, it reminded Ben of those halls of old English and Scottish lords from before the industrial age. The room was half full, and the mayor was currently hearing townsfolk and their grievances. He had just finished giving his judgement when he spotted Denys and Lawrie and gestured for them to come forward.

"Lawrie! It is good to see you back from your expedition, old friend! Denys, I trust that you have the report I've been waiting for?" the big man asked.

The mayor was a sizeable man, almost as large as Lawrie was, but a bit rounder to where it was clear that he wasn't a working man like Lawrie was. He then waved his hand and had his attendants dismiss the crowd, letting everyone know he was done hearing grievances for the day.

"I do, Mayor Stonehand. It's not great, but it could have been much worse," Denys told him, handing him a leather folder. The mayor looked it over, pulling out a pair of rudimentary glasses to read the contents. His face was then set in a slight frown as he finished reading the report.

"While I dislike what I've just read, you are correct in saying that it could have been worse. You said that Lawrie here and his group pulled in and took the raiders by surprise?" Mayor Stonehand asked.