Taming an Immortal Ch. 13

Story Info
Imprinting the halfling child.
11.2k words
4.82
10.8k
25

Part 13 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/28/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

The morning bells from the community hall rang five times.

Apart from the fluttering of birds disturbed by the chimes, the city was still; the hush of approaching dawn at the far recesses of their dreams.

But for Rose, the quiet provided some time for her to think as she looked out over her half-healed city. Barely even ready to fend for themselves, they would now have to host nearly the entire country for the lying-in-state would begin from noon that day.

While Rose had ordered as many guests rooms to be made available in the castle for the visiting royals, there was still the business of food, necessities and lodging for many of the Southern villagers who would be flocking to the city centre to pay their respects.

Just the thought of spending the afternoon planning for this mass exercise with her advisors made her want to throw up. Rushing away from her window, Rose headed down to the kitchen where she knew her source of comfort would be waiting for her on the table.

"Warm milk is good for you," said Anzer, stroking her cheek lightly as she took the glass from him. "Why are you up so early Rose?"

"I could say the same for you. You know you're a guest here and not my personal cook right?"

The Noble simply smiled as he took her glass away.

"Come and sit here," he gestured to the edge of the table. "I was going to offer pancakes but you look like you need to talk."

The words spilled out much faster and easier than she thought – the meeting with the council of advisors, Lord Ulrich's proposal, her concerns about her people and of course the important decision she needed to make at the end of the two weeks.

Leaning against the table, Anzer turned to look at her with kind eyes that were neither judging nor sympathetic. And for that reason, Rose had sought him out –the same way a child cries out for its mother when the monsters under the bed starts crawling out.

"I won't tell you how or what to do Rose. But your life is your own and that human life should be lived as it is. Would it be so bad to be your own person without the need for someone to define who you are?" Warm hands patted her shoulder. "In time, I am sure the council will accept your rule unconditionally. I promise."

How could Anzer sound so sure when everything seemed so undecided for her?

With a sigh, she hopped off the table and gave him a fierce hug. "I'm really glad you're here Anzer. Would you consider staying here permanently? I know our ports aren't as beautiful as the Cove and I know it's not home, but..."

"I'm as close to family as you've got –in more ways than you think sweetheart." He patted her hair gently. "So I'll think about it."

***

Anzer watched as the young woman waltzed out of the kitchen and headed out – no doubt to begin her morning inspection of the wake. She really shouldn't be putting too much stress on her body for the child inside of her would surely pick up on his mother's distress.

He still didn't know why he hadn't talked to her about the baby yet – perhaps part of him was hopeful that Etienne would change his mind but following Zahara's letter, it seemed that arrogant twit had gone ahead and married their cousin.

Anzer didn't resent her for she had been very kind and possibly the most suitable person to handle the politics of the West. And now once more, she was demonstrating her gentle nature by warning him about the need to mask Rose's child as his own. Delegates from the West have just pledged their loyalty to their new Lord and knowledge of his Halfling child might cause discord amongst the other Pureblood clans. They would not be so loyal knowing that the next heir to the throne was not of a Pureblood status.

But even he knew that he could not put off the imprinting forever. Soon it would be too dangerous for Rose to be carrying an unclaimed Vampire child; the stronger nature of the baby will attempt to extinguish that of his mother's.

But would it be selfish of him to impose on her this extra burden of pregnancy when she already has so much on her mind?

Rubbing his temples, Anzer hoped to ward off the impending headache but it was pointless. Perhaps it was best to get it over and done with –before the chaos of the two weeks started.

Stepping out past the back doors, Anzer took in a deep breath of the morning dew and followed the soft scent of the princess down the herb garden and past the inner courtyard. He was almost to the outer premises when a warning scent of a very powerful Changeling stopped him in his tracks.

"It seems we're both headed the same way."

Whipping around, Anzer caught the curious eyes of a wolf Changeling as he stepped in front of him to block his advance. Unlike the red wolf variety he was used to, this Changeling towered over him, the gold and silver of his hair so striking he had to be of the East.

"My my. Does the Arceneaux blood know no boundaries? First Rose, now you?" the wolf smiled, shaking his head as he continued studying Anzer. "But this scent... so like that of your father?"

Anzer kept his face straight. It wasn't like his father kept his human mate a secret.

"That child of Rose – smells of you does it not?"

His silvery eyes narrowed slightly as he considered the Changeling. There was no need to correct this stranger. "That is none of your concerns. If there is nothing else, I have to go."

But the Changeling didn't budge. Instead, he stretched out his hands, blocking Anzer's path.

"No, there is one thing." The Changeling bowed from the waist – a sign of the highest respect. "I do not care what your relationship to the princess is but you share blood. And in my lands, that counts as family.

I have expressed my desire to be with Rose, in her position as my Queen. As her elder, I am asking for your permission to let me court her."

Anzer needed a fork right now – to poke his eyes out. He had been accosted by the Lord of the East himself and he didn't even know? So this was the wolf that had been smitten by Rose? Either that or he hoped to gain more land and power.

"Don't you already have enough women to satisfy you my Lord? Many of whom I recall are of Pureblood birth?"

The Changeling grinned – definitely unrepentant of his lust.

"But Rose would be the first and only human, if she wishes for it to stay that way."

Anzer had one eyebrow raised. True as the rumours come, the wolf Changelings indeed have no concept of mating and monogamy.

"The choice would be up to her my Lord. I cannot decide her heart."

His answer seemed to please the Changeling for he bowed once again before breaking into another smile.

"There is perhaps something you can decide now for her – the child."

"What of it?"

"Let me hold my scent over Rose and the child for this period of mourning – just long enough until she makes her decision." Before Anzer could protest, the wolf Lord held up his hand and continued. "Vampire scents are very tricky on the Changeling senses but I am sure they are not for your kind. I can't for example tell the difference between yours and Etienne's scent. Now wouldn't it be problematic if they find out that their precious Lord of the West has a Halfling child?"

Anzer knew he should say no, that he should go and imprint the baby once and for all. But... what if there was a chance that this could work in Rose's favour? Having another male's scent would drive any man up the wall but to have another Alpha male's scent on his mate – even Etienne could not forgive that.

"Let me... talk to her about it first. I do not wish for any unnecessary bloodshed."

In that instance, Anzer realised how much he had given away the identity of the baby's father when he saw the blue eyes of the wolf widen with surprise. How could he have been so stupid...

It was obvious that he wasn't the father or the mate seeing that he hadn't already attempted to chew off the Changeling's throat. But it didn't mean that he didn't care. Should Rose choose not to accept Lord Ulrich's offer, then he would imprint the baby as he had planned.

***

Four days later...

From the window of the breakfast room, Rose had her eyes set upon the incoming carriage door; her breath hitched with every creak of the door as it swung open –revealing the face she memorised by heart.

And hated.

Even as the trumpets blared announcing his entourage, Rose chose to turn away not wishing to allow him even a glance of her.

"Lord of the West Etienne Arceneaux and his delegates wish to pay respects to the late Southern King."

She would be cordial as necessary but nothing more. Her advisors would see to it that the Western Lord was escorted to the casket before her own household staff took over with his lodging requirements. It was an unspoken request that he would require a place to stay until the end of the mourning.

"You shouldn't worry too much about him my lovely," came a raspy whisper from behind before its owner made his presence known with a kiss on her bare shoulder.

"Just because I allowed you to shroud me in your scent doesn't mean you can go around claiming skin privileges without permission!" she glared at the grinning wolf Lord.

"I cannot help it. You were staring longingly at another male," he replied, continuing his kiss up her neck. His lips paused only for a second; smiling against the crook of her neck when she shoved the hilt of her sword handle into his ribs.

"Enough." She pushed him away and stormed out of the room, aware that he was following her. Just how did she come to agree to this arrangement?

Oh yes that's right. It was Anzer's solution for payback. Honestly, she didn't know where he managed to hide that mean streak amidst all that motherly demeanour.

"You're an intriguing creature princess. I am almost jealous that you are mated to another."

"You are very much mistaken my Lord. Etienne Arceneaux is mated to me butIam mated to no one," she replied with a smile. It had taken a long night of conversation with Anzer for her to come to that realisation. As a human, she was not bound by the same laws and expectations that came with being mated.

"A very bold statement." An audible sigh of pleasure. "Very fitting for a queen..."

She shot him a warning look as they stepped out into the public hall currently housing the late Lord Adam's body.

If she thought her silent tiptoes were inconspicuous, she was clearly wrong for every Vampire in the hall turned the instant she set foot in the vicinity, their faces set in surprise.

But nothing prepared her for Etienne's response.

Midway through paying his respects; his back snapped upright, eyes turning gold as they settled on her. Rose forced herself to turn away but something held her eye contact in place, rendering her almost breathless when he strode across the hall calmly towards her.

Not a single emotion betrayed the flawless clarity of his face but his eyes were pure rage and betrayal.

"My Lady." A greeting whispered behind clenched teeth. "I see you've been acquainted with Lord Ulrich –much quicker than I expected."

Lord Ulrich however waved away the masked threat.

"Etienne, come! Rose and I have much to speak to you about."

A warm possessive hand curled around her waist, pulling her closer to the hard upper body of the wolf Changeling. Despite herself, Rose blushed furiously at his touch.

"If you would please unhand her Ulrich," warned Etienne, walking over to flank her on the other side.

Lord Ulrich however only grinned, pulling Rose tighter. Seemed like his little scent trick was working very well for Etienne had murderous eyes affixed to his pale unresponsive face.

While he didn't act on it, there was no doubt in her mind that it was a matter of time before the two would be at each other's throats. Rose could almost taste the threat in the air as they sizzled and curled over her body. And for that, she was grateful that they were under the watchful gaze of the public for it gave the three of them some measure of restraint.

"My Lord, I hope that the arrangements for you accommodations will be satisfactory," said Rose to Etienne when they neared the exit of the temporary funeral hall. She kept her eyes on the floor, not wanting to give him the benefit of reading her emotions.

Turning to Ulrich, she then eased herself away and nodded slightly. "Whatever business you wish to speak to me – we will discuss over dinner. Rest well my Lords."

Rose whizzed out of the hall as fast as her legs could carry her, aware that the two Lords were burning a hole in her back with their stares.

She had thought that she would be stronger than this, but just looking at him had given her heart a kick and she couldn't deny the pain that licked at the wound. How dare he look at her as if she was his when the silver band around his wrists said otherwise?

***

The welcome dinner for the Western delegates that night consisted of a simple stew of meats and potatoes.

Etienne tried not to flinch at the disappointed looks on some of the Pureblood clan heads at the meagre offering before them. If this was back home, he would have treated them to the personal flavour of his hand.

Rose was offering them a meal out of diplomacy. She of all people knew that Purebloods did not require much food and if anything, the dinner was meant more for Ulrich and her human guests.

Daring to stray his gaze towards the beautiful human on his right, Etienne saw the furrowing of her brows as her eyes transfixed on her guests and their eating habits. It didn't take a genius to know what she was thinking of.

In a few days, Ulrich's own delegates would arrive and the castle would be stretched thin of its resources and space.

"Do not worry my Rose. My kind are not so rude as to come empty-handed," said the Changeling Lord; his lips close to her ears but his eyes resting on Etienne's. "Stop worrying about feeding everyone and just eat."

Rose turned towards him and whispered something back –a reprimand from the look on her face but Ulrich responded as though she had whispered lustful secrets in his ears.

He ought to wipe that stupid grin off the wolf –and plunge his heart with a steak knife.

"I have come here in peace – none of my warriors nor clan heads bearing arms. Is that not enough for the Southern Lady? Gifts are not appropriate for mourning," proclaimed Etienne.

Rose simply flicked her beautiful hazel eyes at him but said nothing. Instead, she motioned for the servers to come forth to top up the guests' drinks.

Resting his own palm on top of his glass, he denied the refill of his drink. He wanted Rose to speak to him but every question he asked; her reply had been either a smile or a nod. It was infuriating!

Especially since she was comfortable enough answering each and every one of Ulrich's questions; leaning in when he spoke, smiling when he joked.

That bastard. How dare he acted as though he owned Rose? And she for one wasn't pushing him away, even allowing his scent to wash over her like they had mated...

"My Lord?" Rose's voice was a soft surprise.

Etienne didn't even realise that he had stood up until he noticed the eyes on him. But his focus was only on one – the wolf Changeling seated right across from him.

"Outside. Now."

The wolf dared to smile, baring his teeth in a show of dominance. "With pleasure."

Etienne vaguely heard Rose calming everyone as he and Ulrich left the dining hall. Judging from the murderous look on her face when they left, he figured the two men have less than five minutes before she would come and throw her weight around.

"Was it not clear that she belongs to me?" Etienne got straight to it; his hands balling into fists. It was a shame he had left his offensive sword back home for this moment truly called for an act of violence.

"Come on Etienne; punch me like you want to. All that anger and frustration..." whistled the wolf as he leaned casually against a pillar. Nodding in the direction of his silver band, he laughed, "It's no wonder your dick's all shrivelled up. Having trouble pleasing your woman Vampire?"

That did it. He launched for Ulrich, one hand aimed straight for a chokehold around his throat while the other landed a solid hook on his cheek.

"Good... let it all out." Ulrich huffed each word with every blow he failed to block. Landing his own blow, the wolf even had a smile on his face as his fist rammed the underside of Etienne's rib.

Damn bastard was getting off on this!

Pushing himself off his opponent, Etienne backed down, wiping at his split lip and watched Ulrich from a good arm's length away.

"I'm disappointed Etienne. I heard you were such a fighter."

Etienne narrowed his eyes. He would have killed the Eastern Lord in a heartbeat if he wanted. But this was not a fight he wanted to win by force.

"Have you mated with her?" he demanded, ignoring the laughter on Ulrich's face.

"Why don't you ask her yourself?"

Ask her? She wouldn't even speak to him! And he had no goddamn power to make her – especially not when she was grieving and definitely not under her seat of power.

But this –this tussle with Ulrich was within his control. Launching for the wolf, he toppled the burly weight down and felt his fangs lengthening. He was going for his throat. Rip that jugular off and watch the stupid bastard die laughing.

"Fuck Etienne." The wolf wheezed out as he pressed his weight down onto his chest. "I didn't touch her. She wouldn't let me."

The blind rage bled from his body; his hands loosening its grip on the wolf. "And yet you lay claim on her. Explain!"

Ulrich no longer had a smile on his face as his hands rubbed his throat cautiously. "I bore witness to your matrimony. You go fuck your wife and I'll fuck mine."

Etienne had unsheathed his sword even before he could fully comprehend Ulrich's words. Rose to be wed to the Eastern Lord?

Hell no. He swung Masamune down, not caring if the blade wouldn't cut. If he hit hard enough, the wolf would have bruises.

Wife, wife... wasn't that what Adam had warned him? And what had he said? Oh yes that's right. He would come to her wedding. Flashing his golden eyes at Ulrich, he launched once more; the edge of his sword pressed down on the wolf's throat as pure fury dictated his movements.

So consumed by the blood lust of his mating bond, Etienne almost didn't sense her when she entered the empty hallway.

"My Lords!"

"Rose! Please get your mate off me."

A flicker of gold flashed in her eyes when he turned to look at her but then her baby browns softened as she approached him.

"Etienne, please."

God he missed the way her voice tilted as she said his name. As she came closer, he released Ulrich and got back to his feet slowly.

"This will never happen again," he whispered, lowering his head slightly in a respectful nod. "So leave us Ulrich. Or I might not hold back."

But the wolf stayed rooted, a hand wiping away the sweat and blood from his face. Instead he offered his hand to the human before them.

"Rose, come."

She shook her head slowly, looking at both of them with a grave expression in her eyes. "You will return to your quarters tonight and tomorrow you will make peace. These lands have paid witness to enough tragedy so please; I do not want anyone dying on my account."

And with that, she turned away from both of them, her slender figure blending into the darkness. A reminder of what neither of them could have.

***

Damn it! Rose had only agreed to the scent marking to get back at Etienne but never had she thought that he would crazy with some sort of blood lust. Anzer had warned her that mated Vampire males were very possessive, what more a Pureblood.

Rose had thought that having married Zahara, the mating bond would have been undone by itself but apparently it doesn't. Her human mind could not comprehend the depth of this bond, especially so since she could not feel anything different about herself or about him.

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers