Tattooed Woman: Dramatis Personae

Story Info
As requested.
5.8k words
4.85
4.1k
7
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
772 Followers

This took ages!

Massive apologies for the recent delays in submission. The story (now well into the third volume) is inexorably drawing towards a conclusion. Now, there's still a ways to go but the progress of the story does mean that decisions have to be made. Hard decisions regarding plot and the fate of the characters involved. Characters I really like and enjoy writing about.

This means that some serious thought has to go into this. If, and I stress IF characters uh... die, then I want it to be for the right reasons, and of course for it to have the right impact. So, this bit is a LOT harder to write than the stuff that's gone before.

I very much enjoyed writing this story and I have loved getting all the positive feedback. You're a great audience and I really appreciate your help.

Now, there have been multiple requests for a list of characters and that seems like a fairly reasonable idea, so I've made an effort to facilitate such. I'll probably not attach this list to the start of each chapter, but I'll try to at least update it and republish it periodically and if that doesn't satisfy, I'll think of something else.

Throughout the story I've used more than a few words and phrases that come from Norse, from slang, and from a variety of sources so I'll add a few words about some of those.

Anyway, here you go:

Races and Institutions:

The Danu: They are a race of shapechanging immortal spirits possessed of great power. To many they are Gods, to others they are Demons. They made the Dark Elves; they made the Dragons. Fickle, eternal and strange, they are a perilous folk. Ages ago they warred. During that conflict lands burned, mountains fell, and oceans froze. Eventually one of their kind accomplished the impossible. She slew her kin, breaking what could not be broken and killing what could not be killed. This was "The Morrigan's War". When it was done The Danu went into exile, and for the sin of taking a side the Dark Elves were cursed.

The Fae: Both a land and the people who occupy it. Separated from the human realms by a wall of eldritch mist that is sometimes called "The Veil". The people who reside there are the folk of faery, legend, dream and nightmare. The land was created by the Danu, as was the Mist. Since the exile of the Danu the Veil has become thin, even "malleable" in places. But of late it has become somewhat "more", almost as if some of the Danu have returned.

Dark Elves ( Dökkálfar): Sometimes collectively called the "sídhe" or "nightling witches" and other pejoratives. They are a capricious and proud people, seen as wicked and cunning. As sometimes mentioned in the story they are also cursed. Male Dark Elves are simply not being born, and this has been the case for many centuries (possibly millennia). As such their numbers have dwindled and they are a fading people. Perhaps to combat this and stabilise their population they have turned to slavery, raiding human realms. They can mate with humans and other Elves and produce Half-Elven progeny, some of which tend towards being almost fully Dark Elven, and possibly more importantly, some of these near Dark Elves are male. Even so, they know that in the end time takes no prisoners.

The Dark Elves had an empire, but as their numbers fall, they slowly fall back. Their capitol is the ancient city of Emain, with its strange towers and impenetrable walls. It gleams by the eastern shore of the Fae, not so far from The Veil. Another of the few Dark Elven cities to remain is Miosgan Meadhba, which is an ancient seaport on the western coast. According to legend it was built by Queen Maeve herself, and the remains of this mightiest of Dark Elves are entombed in one of the barrows near the city.

The Dark Elves are organised into "Houses" generally with long-standing familial connections. There are thirteen "great" Houses and an unknown number of lesser. Each House is ruled by a Matriarch, whose word, within that House, is Law.

Light Elves (Ljósálfar): Often called the Sunkissed or Bright Elves. They seem to be an insular race, with limited dealings with Humans and other folk. They do not keep slaves, but they do take prisoners and ransom them to their Dark Elven cousins. Like all Elves, they are known for their magical skills and strange crafts. Their relationship with Dark Elves generally looks to be one of violent animosity only a little short of open warfare.

Dragons: Made by the Danu as slave, steed and weapon. They are ageless, cunning and mighty, crafted to be merciless, devoid of pity, remorse, or love. They are fantastically resilient, with scales harder than steel, and fangs that can cleave any armour like wet paper. They know magic and were gifted the ability to take human form by the Danu. They were bound into eternal service of their immortal creators, right up until the Danu went into exile and abandoned them.

Drow: Evil kin of the Dark Elves. They are known as a hateful, violent folk, possessed of great cunning and greater spite. They warred with the Dark Elves and lost. Since then, they have been driven to dwell in the dark and remote places of the Fae.

Dwarves: Miners and artisans, delvers and explorers. They are a hardy, militant folk, disciplined and crafty. They honour their ancestors and their commitments. They are slow to trust but never forget a friend, or an enemy.

Firbolg: Some say they are an Orcish folk, but others, perhaps those with more ken, think it more likely that the Orcs are actually an offshoot, or even some lost tribe, of the firbolg. They are rangy, lean and crafty. They are skilled hunters and hardy fighters.

Orcs: A savage and hardy folk who prize honour, courage and their kin above all. They are a tribal, clannish people and like the firbolg are skilled hunters and warriors. Tough and stoic they have no time for weakness and despise treachery and cowardice. More than a few human soldiers have said there is no give in an Orcish warrior, and they would fight to the last rather than surrender.

Gnomes: Highly skilled artisans often described as "crafty wee bastards" (often by Dwarves). Some say they might be some kind of Dwarf-kin, but those that say such things had best hope that neither Gnome nor Dwarf hear them for the two folks do not get on well at all.

Fomorians: A race of cursed giant. These terrifying creatures are physically imposing and possess dark magics. Their origin is a mystery, but it has been hinted they come from the sea, or beneath the earth.

The Scarlet Order: A fanatical order who hold sway in human lands. They believe creatures of the Fae to be wicked and evil and that they should all be burned at the stake. There are several chapters of this order, such as the notorious "Red Nuns" and they hold significant political and military power.

The Order of the Dragon: A military order of human knights. They patrol the border of The Fae and occupy several keeps. they were much reduced during the Border Wars and became fractured, but they are still a significant military force.

The Legions: The Imperial legions are the Emperor's fist and primary military force. Given the border of The Fae is far from the heartlands of the Empire and how the legions are stretched they have not marched to the borderlands in years.

Other races such as giants, trolls, hags, imps, demons and myriad others exist.

Characters:

The Morrigan: One of the Danu, oft called "The Phantom Queen" she is an ancient and powerful spirit. The Morrigan is described as a trinity Goddess of sorts. Some of the names of her aspects change depending on which tales are being told and who by, but Badb, Macha and Nemain are three of those names. The three entities are sometimes described as sisters, sometimes as aspects, but together they are The Morrigan. Three parts of a greater whole, sometimes separate, but never apart. They are different manifestations of the Morrigan. Badb is known as the Prophetess, a war Goddess associated with battle, destruction and death, but she's also a guide and ferryman for the dead. Macha is associated with war, ravens, horses, land and sovereignty. She's known for raining fire and blood down upon her enemies. Nemain is associated with fertility, cattle, war and prosperity. She also culls the weak and her battle-cries inspire fear and frenzy. They are old Gods, and not what you might call forgiving happy and cheerful. Wise folk know you disrespect them at your peril. They are the mother of Adair, though it is Nemain who claims to have borne her.

Abria: A human woman, she is Matriarch Aventine's personal body-servant and maid. A free woman she has served House Varrow for decades. She was born in The Fae and as a result looks barely out of her teens despite being over fifty years old. It has been mentioned that she has a son who serves as a spearman in another House.

Adair (Adair Morrigu): Daughter of The Morrigan, by the Dagda, wife of Eber, a Dragon. She is of the Danu, and even though her immortality was stolen, and her mind and memories impaired she is possessed of significant power. She has been in a waking sleep for an age but was recently roused by the cry of a simple slave-girl. Now it appears her wits and strength are returning to her, though to what extent remains unknown. Since exerting herself to hold open the doors of the spirit realm and by deed of will alone calling upon a lost soul to return to the land of the living, she has begun to manifest certain physical characteristics of her mother. She is tall, and athletic, with long copper hair that is now streaked with dark strands. Her skin is fair, but paler than it was, and her eyes shine green, gold or black depending upon her mood. Her fingernails are a little longer than they were, and very sharp. Her body is covered with strange serpentine tattoos that her husband drew on her and inked with his own blood. She is possessed of prodigious strength, heals quickly and has so far appeared highly resistant to damage or spells. The Danu are shapeshifters, but Adair has not yet demonstrated such an ability.

Artemesia Ria: A Houseless Magister serving the garrison at the Broch of Kouni. She was a disgraced drunkard who has since redeemed herself. She serves Kasa-Dur. She is also an alchemist and can brew poisons.

Ashunara Varro: Youngest daughter of the House of Varro, and Captain of a Free Company of sellswords. Reputed to be obstinate, stubborn and devious she has also demonstrated that she possesses a fiery temper at times, and she is no stranger to violence. She is a skilled and experienced swordswoman. She enjoys pleasures of the flesh and is not shy when it comes to pursuing a sexual liaison, though she avoids relationships with those under her command. She is currently involved with Hildegard, a human woman she rescued from necromancy and initially took as a slave in payment. Despite being the "younger" sister, it has been mentioned that Ashunara is over four hundred years old, and her sister is almost twice her age. Ashunara typically wields a shortsword with a mithril and adamant blade. It was bequeathed to her by her mother upon her deathbed. The sword appears supernaturally sharp and capable of cleaving stone and steel with equal ease.

Atropa: A Dragon and one of the daughters of Demeritus. She serves the adversary but was sorely wounded when she attacked the Broch of Kuni. As punishment for this failure the Adversary has commanded Demeritus to devour her still-beating heart.

Aventine Varro: Eldest daughter, and Matriarch of the House of Varro. Known to be a cunning, devious, and above all ruthless political manipulator. She bears no insult to her House or family and has no pity for those that cross her. Her response to such an affront tends to be as vicious as it is merciless.

Azure: A hunter and scout, said to have been born in the Mist. She seldom speaks of her family and has not claimed membership to any House. Highly skilled at tracking and adept with both blade and bow. She is terrifyingly stealthy, with senses acute enough that some might venture them to be unnatural. Her nature is strangely capricious, often cold and slightly aloof, but also sometimes oddly playful if the mood takes her. She can be calculating and ruthless and at need kills without hesitation or remorse. Currently involved in a relationship with Lashelle, a younger swordmaiden.

Braksos: A bad tempered Dwarven adventurer.

Cassie Kirk: An orphan human child left abandoned as a babe on the steps of a small church (or kirk, hence the last name). She was raised by the village priest and his wife until she was old enough to work (about eight years old) and then sent on to a nearby inn where she served as a scrubber girl (scrubbing pots, pans, floors etc) and later as the cook's assistant and occasional serving wench. Raised from the age of eight by Maggie Cook she is a quiet, modest young woman, inexperienced of life beyond the confines of the inn and tiny village where she lived. During a raid on the inn, she was captured by Dark Elven slavers. Since then, her life has taken a turn for the strange. She has been adopted both by Adair and then into the House of Mal by Nyx and has become involved in a romantic relationship with Ellen, a young Dragon. One consequence of these happenstance events is that The Morrigan has declined to refute the word of Adair and has accepted the girl as kin. This... is no small thing.

Callista: Battlemage of Miosgan Meadhba, possibly of the House of Bal. A younger Battlemage, she is Tempestarii, having mastered the power of storms.

Chulainn ("Silver Arm"): A renowned hero coming to end of his glory days. At one time famed for his skill in battle and for many deeds of courage he has become melancholy and dismisses the many tales of his exploits as being exaggerated nonsense. As a young man he searched far and wide for a legendary teacher before finding her living in seclusion in a haunted fortress on a remote island far to the north. Impressed by his audacity the warrior-maid took the brash youth as a lover and trained him in the ways of battle. Eventually though she tired of the man and wishing to return to her solitary brooding and loneliness she gifted him with a silver spear and banished him from her sight.

Despite long years of searching Chulainn was never again able to find her mist-shrouded island.

Claíomh ("The Swordsman"): A sellsword and adventurer he seldom speaks of his past. A veteran of the legions he fought in the border wars before turning to the life of a wandering sword and was at one time an arena champion. He was part of the adventuring group along with Lily and Quintus when they were captured by Dark Elves. After crossing swords with Nyx he impressed her by more than holding his own. Later he stood alongside her in battle when the Company was attacked. The two have fallen into a fairly amicable and sometimes competitive romantic relationship. His exact status is a little "murky" though technically he is indentured to House Varro. He currently marches with Captain Ashunara and her Free Company.

Dana of Elatha Duinn: A Half-Elf and one-time sell-sword and scout for Captain Gorsini and his Company. Being non-human, she was persecuted by the fanatical Scarlet Order eventually resulting in a violent and bloody confrontation. Afterwards she fled to The Fae with Gorsini and Magda Bor. After their subsequent capture by Dark Elves, she and the others were sent to the Slave-Castle of Emain where she was later purchased by Azure. She has since accepted indenture with Captain Ashunara to serve as a scout for her Company in exchange for her freedom.

Demeritus (The Dragon of the West): Brother of Typhonos. He stood at the side of his brother when they battled Adair and as a result suffered crippling injuries. The Adversary was able to repair some of these wounds but not all. He desires Shalidar and in addition to being a Dragon he is a powerful sorcerer.

Dullahan (Dullahan Half-Drow): A Drow huntress and pack-master, she is a deadly and ruthless warrior. She is called "Half-Drow" because while her father was a Drow noble her mother was a Dark Elf seized and enslaved by the Drow. It has been mentioned that she despises her father.

Eber (The Dragon of the North): One of the oldest and strongest of the Dragons. Having been commanded by The Morrigan to guard and protect her daughter he refused to serve the adversary when that dark spirit was reincarnated and returned to the mortal world, and instead he took Adair into hiding. Over many years they fell in love and were married. During that time, he drew many serpentine tattoos on her and inked them with his blood. To what extent these marks protect Adair remains unknown, but they are a potent, semi-living form of enchantment. This deed weakened him and when their hiding place was finally discovered he was murdered by his kin.

Ellén: Daughter of Shalidar, she is a young Dragon who has lived a life of solitary secrecy, hidden away by her mother. She is studious and has many hobbies, loving painting and the crafts. For a Dragon she has a strangely gentle spirit. She is a skilled healer and a poor sorcerer. She restored Cassie after she sustained what would have otherwise been a mortal wound, and being a lonely child, she quickly became friends with the human. This friendship has deepened and the two are now lovers. When taking human form, she copied her mother and so like her appears as a tall fair-haired woman with brilliant blue eyes. In order to stay with Cassie she currently pretends to be a serving wench in The Raven's Nest and given her near complete ignorance of the ways of Humans, Elves and the like this fiction oft leads to hilarious consequences.

Elsadore: A swordmaiden and member of Ashunara's Free Company. She is a long-time friend and companion of Nyx, and like her, she has been a soldier and mercenary for centuries. A deadly fighter skilled in most weapons. Tends towards drinking and debauchery when not on duty and has on occasion become involved in more than a few brawls. Generally friendly and oddly good natured, she is also known to have a hellacious temper when provoked. She appears protective of Varoona, a younger sword-maiden in the same Company.

Falsara-Kur: An elderly Dark Elf, she is the Mistress of the slave-castle of Emain and a respected and senior member of the slaver's guild. A very formidable swordswoman and hardened fighter she has a reputation as something of a murderous curmudgeon at times. However, despite her outwardly cold-hearted and ruthless appearance, she seems to disapprove of base and pointless cruelty that serves no purpose. Of late she had grown melancholy and bored, but her interest in life appears to have been reignited somewhat by the appearance of the fiery Muriah Fel who she has grown increasingly fond of, possibly to the extent of offering the young woman a tentative overture of adoption or indenture into her House.

Fiamma Vor: The Magister of House Varro, she is both ancient and fearsome. She is a Battlemage, a select class of very powerful spellcaster who has completely mastered at least one art of purely destructive magic. These are individuals who can devastate a battlefield, reduce castles, call down tempests or incinerate armies and given her reputation among even her peers it seems likely that her craft is particularly potent. It is also possible that she may just be a tiny bit mad.

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
772 Followers
12