Teenage Fantasy Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mabel didn't have the words to say. It was one thing to face the wrath of her peers, but another to be shamed by her teacher. The overwhelming emotion sat at the base of her throat, and she couldn't look Jake in the eyes. If she did, she'd probably cry and make things worse. She needed a moment to pull herself together.

"Hey man, are you headed to gym class?"

Elijah walked up to Jake, and Mabel was grateful for the interruption.

"I have to use the bathroom. I'll see you later." Moving around him, she walked away.

He watched her rush down the hall and debated following her.

"What the fuck happened?" Jake asked himself.

Elijah shook his head. "Williams is a dick."

He'd forgotten that they had the same classes. Turning to his teammate, he furrowed his brow. "What'd he do to her?"

"It's nothing, man," he replied. "C'mon, we can't be late to Coach's class."

________

Jake briskly navigated the large room of towering shelves. She hadn't met him at the front table like last time, but he could guess where she was. She wanted to keep their interactions as inconspicuous as possible. He was relieved to find her in the far back corner, tucked behind expansive shelves.

Mabel sat at the head of a small wooden rectangular table with her feet propped up on a chair. Books and papers splayed out on the surface. She had taken her hair down; it fell in a thick curtain and covered her face from view.

Jake set his bag down and pulled out the chair opposite where her feet were placed. Their brief interaction in the hall had been on his mind, and he needed to know what had taken place. "Hey, Mabel, what happened in Williams' class?"

Mabel looked up from her book and chewed a bite of microwaved bean burrito. She hadn't noticed him come in. His eyes were filled with worry, and her heart softened. She thought of his past reactions to the drama surrounding her name. His anger from the notes, and Mike and Steven. Adding another one of her incidents to it would only further detract from their goal.

"Williams is a dick," she replied, pulling her legs off the chair and sitting forward. She tucked her hair behind her ear. "He's probably still mad about yesterday and wants to mend his ego, so he gave me detention."

"Detention?" Jake questioned. "For what?"

Mabel glimpsed away and shrugged. "Honestly, I don't really want to talk about it. It's stupid. And we only have 30 minutes to study."

His gut itched. She was keeping something from him. "You can talk to me, Mabel. You know that, right?"

Mabel met his gaze. "Yeah, I know. It's just not important. What's important is proving Williams and everyone else wrong." She slid her burrito over. "Do you want a bite?"

Jake glanced down at the food. He wasn't hungry. Unease weighed heavily on him. Why wasn't she telling him the full story? "Nah, I'm alright."

"Ok," Mabel replied, pulling it back to her. "I have a question."

Jake unpacked his backpack, laying his history book on the table. "Yeah?"

"What happened with the test in Noble's class yesterday?"

Jake's brow furrowed, and his eyes hardened briefly. "What do you mean?"

"Well," Mabel chewed and swallowed. "You kinda seemed... distant from it or something. Like you didn't want to do it."

"I didn't."

"Fair enough." She nodded slowly. Still, she felt that the problem was deeper than he was telling her. His transcripts showed that the main classes that he struggled in were classes like English Literature. Jake opened his textbook and glanced at the page, narrowing his eyes at the paper as if it upset him just to look at it. He'd done that yesterday too, but why?

"Hey," Mabel said, reaching over to place her hand on his. "You ok?"

"Yeah." Jake nodded, glancing at her. "Why?"

"Because it looks like you're mad at the book."

Jake scoffed and shook his head. "Not the book."

"Something else, then?"

He shifted his jaw, glancing back at the glossy pages. Yesterday had left him feeling exposed, like it had uncovered the truth he had been able to hide from her. She seemed like she kept believing in him, but did she? More importantly, did he?

No. He could answer that question. Still, if he tried hard enough, maybe he could hold on to her for a while longer. Until he couldn't anymore.

"It's just hard to concentrate, that's all."

Mabel felt like he'd exposed a small opening that she could use to help her understand what he was going through. She took the opportunity without hesitation. "It's hard to concentrate on the words?"

Jake exhaled, sitting back and pulling away from the textbook. "I don't know, Mabel."

Nodding, Mabel chewed her top lip, deciding to change tactics.

"I'm a visual learner," she said conversationally while dragging his textbook over to her. Jake watched the action before glancing at her.

"What does that mean?"

"It means it's easier for me to understand something when I can see it and commit it to memory, like reading. But everyone learns differently, you know?"

Shaking his head, Jake frowned. "Nah, I don't really like to read."

"I figured," she said, "and that's ok! Some people don't learn that way. Unfortunately, almost every subject consists of reading long passages, which makes it difficult for people who don't learn visually. Like you. I think... that you might be more of an auditory learner."

"What does that mean?" Jake asked, sitting forward with interest. He'd never considered that people learned differently; he just knew that he failed to learn at all.

"That means that you understand something better when you hear the information. You said you're not a strong listener," she smirked, "but you seem to remember everything I tell you."

"That's 'cause I like listening to you."

"Well, since you like it so much, do you mind if we try something?"

Inhaling deeply, he shrugged. "Sure. Couldn't hurt."

"Alright." Mabel took a drink of water and leaned back in her chair. Picking up his textbook, she began reading the chapter, making sure to keep an even pace. "The American Revolution was the beginning of democracy within the United States..."

Jake watched her pouty cherry lips move as she spoke. She was reading something he could care less about, but her voice was silk on his ears. He always enjoyed listening to her. His mind tuned into what she was saying, and he fell into a comfortable state, resting his weight on his elbows and his chin on his hand.

"So," Mabel said as she finished the passage, "what do you think?"

Her eyes connected with his. He had a look of content wonder on his face. His cheek rested on his knuckles, and his pupils shifted back and forth ever so slightly as he studied her gaze.

"Huh." He spoke contemplatively, as if he'd had a small, profound realization.

"Did that help?" she asked, nervously chewing her bottom lip. She wondered why he was looking at her like that and lifted a hand to gently cup her cheek. It was warm. How could he still cause her to blush like this?

"That was the best history lesson I've ever had," Jake replied, studying her with admiration.

Mabel laughed to sway the tension within her. "It's not that good," she dismissed, "but let's see if it worked. What event took place that led to the start of the American Revolution?"

Jake pulled her voice from his memory and recalled every word she'd spoken. "The Boston Tea Party?"

"Yes! That's right!" Mabel's heart swelled at the unsure response. "And why did the Boston Tea Party happen?"

"Because the king raised taxes on the colonies and spiked the price of tea."

"Exactly!" The smile that split her cheeks caused his heart to skip. "It worked! You remembered!"

"Yeah." The revelation was just as shocking to him, and he furrowed his brow briefly. "I did."

"See! Not everyone learns the same, but now we've figured it out!"

A slightly bewildered smile turned up the corners of his lips. "If you were a little smaller, I could keep you in my pocket. Then I'd graduate for sure."

Mabel laughed and leaned forward, her eyes narrowing. "You wouldn't behave if you could take me everywhere with you."

Jake's smile grew. "I'd behave."

"You would?"

"Mhmm. Scout's honor."

"You were a Boy Scout?"

"Nah." Jake grinned, shaking his head as he pressed forward. His lips brushed gently over hers, and he stole a kiss. He couldn't help himself. One taste was never enough. Her lips parted, and her pink cheeks deepened as her eyes fluttered closed.

She let the taste of him flood over her. A deeper, longer sensation. His tongue lightly played with hers. She moaned quietly, inching closer and gripping his hand tighter in hers.

"Mabel." Jake squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head, pulling away from her. Fuck, this hurt. She meant more to him than a lot of people—people he openly hung out with and saw on a daily basis.

"I'm proud of you." Laying her forehead against his, she watched him open his eyes in response. There was pain in them, and her heart lulled.

Jake swallowed, trying to understand what was happening to him. Why did he feel like this? She kept him confused; he knew that much, but her words struck deeper than he'd care to admit.

"You're proud of me for listening to you read a chapter?"

Mabel's lips pressed into a soft line. She wished he wouldn't discount himself like that. Keeping her forehead against his, she nodded.

"I'm proud of you for trying despite everything."

He couldn't tell her that she was the only reason he was trying, but it was true.

*****

Mabel chewed her pen and studied the paper in front of her. The large red F in the corner was glaring. Jake had tried to hide his test from her when Noble passed them out this morning. He was hesitant when she'd asked to keep the page, so she made sure not to review it in front of him. Now, with Williams' voice droning in the background, she could study it.

"Psst, Red!" Chris angrily called her for the umpteenth time, but she was too focused on the page.

He answered the multiple choice questions in an A B C pattern. Seemingly without reading over what they were asking. It was the written response that caused her to contemplate him deeper. He'd written: "I have no clue how to answer this so I'm just gonna write something here to get it over with." Jake wrote in a peculiar way; large, spaced out writing with certain letters capitalized in the middle of words. She wondered why he didn't understand what was being asked. Could he—

"Red!" Chris whisper-yelled, sticking his leg out to kick her chair. "You owe me for getting us in trouble yesterday!"

She wanted to ignore him, but her patience was wearing thin. "Leave me alone!"

"No! I want my discount for the trouble you caused."

"Discount?" Mabel replied incredulously, turning daggers at Chris. "You are a repulsive, abhorrent, and disgusting human being, Chris. If you paid me a billion dollars, I still wouldn't touch you. I can't even stand sitting next to you in class. You reek! You smell like rotting garbage every day. Take a fucking shower! And stop fucking pssting at me! I am not a cat! I am a person who absolutely loathes you! You can take that 'discount' and shove it up your-"

"MS. HUMPHREY!"

"What!"

Mabel turned to face her teacher. She didn't realize he'd been calling her or that her voice had risen to a yell. Everyone in the class was staring at her. Her heart was racing, but she didn't feel humiliated this time; she felt... exalted. Apparently, this had been weighing on her for a while. She turned back to Chris, who was wide-eyed and red.

"To the principal's office, now." Williams instructed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Gladly," Mabel replied, gathering her things and leaving.

________

Blancher sat behind his large desk in a tall leather-backed executive chair and observed the girl sitting in front of him. "You're the last student I expected to see in here."

"Yeah? Well, surprise."

"Ms. Humphrey," Blancher sighed, trying to find words, "with everything that happened recently, I'm worried that... It's become a detriment to your performance as a student. This behavior is unlike you."

Mabel cast her gaze away. "Sorry being called a whore has been so detrimental."

"I'm not saying that," Blancher backpedaled. "I want to see you thrive. You are going to be our senior salutatorian. I want to know what resources I can provide-"

"Salutatorian?" Mabel interrupted, sitting forward. "I thought valedictorian hadn't been determined yet."

"Well..." Blancher cast his gaze away, steepling his hands, before sighing and looking at her. "In light of recent events surrounding you and with the decline in your behavior and attendance, we think it will be best if Elijah McClain carries the title of valedictorian and you salutatorian. Both are prestigious, but McClain has demonstrated academic excellence, community involvement, and an upstanding moral code. All of those things factor into this difficult decision. You understand, right?"

Mabel felt hollow. How did this happen?

"No, I don't! We're within mere percentage points of each other, and I'm leading. That's what matters!"

"On the surface, yes, but there are other things that we need to take into consideration. Plus, with what happened, it might be best to save you from the fanfare. A graduation speech in front of the senior class might not be the best thing for you."

Maybe she had been too sure that academic success would lead to at least her accomplishing one thing at this school. She always dismissed him when Jake mentioned it, as if she were ok with not having the title. Being told that "moral code" was the reason she was coming in second felt harrowing. Nothing she did mattered as long as she was branded.

"Ms. Humphrey-"

"I didn't expect to see you in here, Miss Mabel!"

Both Blancher and Mabel turned to watch as Jake confidently strode into the room.

"Jake!" Mabel gave a bewildered expression. "What are you doing here?"

"Me and Blancher are friends. I was just stopping by to say hi."

Closing the door behind him, he walked over and dropped into the chair next to hers.

"Ms. Humphrey and I are having a private conversation, Mr. Edwards. You need to leave."

"What are we talking about?" Jake looked at Mabel, who seemed relieved by his presence. It made the satirical question serious in an instant, and he sat forward in his chair.

"Private matters, Mr. Edwards. Get out!"

"I can't believe you came in here!" Mabel shook her head. "Why?"

"Someone who smells like rotten garbage gave me a tip on where you were."

Mabel laughed. "He does, doesn't he?"

"Yeah," Jake agreed, grinning at her.

"Excuse me!" Blancher said, trying to regain control of the interaction. He was shocked, to say the least, that one of the best students in his senior class was involved with one of the worst.

"Yeah," Jake said, turning to Blancher, "you never answered my question. Are we talking about the bullshit she's been dealing with?"

"What?" Blancher asked. Mabel's eyes went wide. "Are there recurring incidents, Ms. Humphrey?"

Jake scoffed, "You fucking serious, Blancher? She's-"

"Fine!" Mabel placed a hand on Jake's arm. "I'm fine. It's just the tail end of everything. That's all."

She couldn't afford to lose more points because of her stupid reputation. First Williams, and now Blancher. They might move her to last on the list just so she won't be seen by anyone at this rate.

"Mabel," Jake said, trying to understand her response. "Just tell him."

"Tell me what?"

"That what happened in Williams' class won't happen again. However, I am late for my next class, and I do struggle with French. May I be excused?"

Blancher looked between the pair and shook his head in defeat. "Fine."

"Thanks." Mabel stood up, ignoring Jake's confused expression.

He held the door open for her as they left.

"I will warn you, Ms. Humphrey." They both glanced back at their principal. "Who you choose to surround yourself with can be a detriment as well."

"We'll keep that in mind, Blancher." Jake replied, before closing the door behind them.

Mabel gazed up at Jake with a wide smile as they left the office. "You shouldn't have done that!"

"Like I said, Blancher and I are good friends. I was just dropping in."

"Sure," Mabel replied sarcastically. "Whatever the reason was..." she stopped her stride and looked up at him. The hallways were empty since students were in their classes. Pressing on her tiptoes, she cradled his cheek.

He realized he enjoyed it when she did this. It comforted him more than he'd care to admit. Bending to meet her, she surprised him by giving him a soft kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, Jake."

He was taken aback by the small gesture, yet it filled him with contentment. "Anything for you, Mabel."

"I'll see you after school." Releasing him, she glanced at the stairs. "Noble asked me to come by to talk, so when you're done grabbing your packets, can you meet me in his room? We'll go to my house from there."

"Yeah," Jake replied, "I'll be there."

"Bye, Jake." Mabel turned toward the stairs, smiling down at the beige tile floor as she walked away from him. She made it to the first step when she felt his arm wrap around her waist.

His hard body pressed against her back, and he tenderly cradled her chin in his hand, gently lifting it. "There." He whispered. "That's better."

Her heart skipped as she looked up into his bright blue gaze. She had never placed much thought into how she navigated the school. Keeping her head low was part of remaining invisible.

"You don't belong with your head down." He said, seemingly reading her thoughts. The bell rang, and he slowly released her. "I'll see you later, Miss Mabel."

________

Jake stood at the entrance of the empty classroom and leaned against the doorway. This was his last stop before he had to meet Mabel to study.

"I'm here to pick up my packet."

Williams glanced at him, shaking his head and beckoning Jake over to his desk.

"I highly doubt you will be able to finish anything." Williams said as he handed Jake a thick packet. "All the assignments in class you've blown off, the homework you haven't done, a paper you failed to write. And now you're going to get it done?"

Jake shifted his jaw while taking the thick stack. "Yeah, we'll see."

"You should just give up, Edwards. A kid like you will end up flipping burgers. Maybe go for a GED instead."

Jake scanned his eyes over Williams. He could let the insults about him go. It was Williams, and he couldn't give two fucks what he said to him. That wasn't the problem.

"I gotta question, Williams."

It was a statement. He was going to get to the bottom of the past two days, whether Williams wanted to answer or not.

"What?"

"Why was Mabel sent to the Blancher's office today?"

Williams scoffed, folding his arms. "I don't think that's any of your business, Edwards."

"It might not be." Jake agreed. "I just don't understand how Mabel ended up in the principal's office when she barely talks to anybody."

"There's a lot you don't understand."

"What?" Jake challenged. "She outsmart you again?"

"She was disrupting the class," Williams replied irritably.

"And the detention yesterday?"

"Passing notes."

Jake clenched his jaw. "Notes, huh."

He stood in front of the teacher's desk with his leg cocked, looking down at the pudgy man. "Strange that a straight-A student who barely talks to anyone became so disruptive within the last two days."

"It might be who she's choosing to hang out with," Williams said, meeting Jake's calculating gaze with a glare.

"Is that what it is? You're punishing her for standing up for me on Monday."

Clearing his throat, Williams waved Jake away. "Do you really think you're that special, Edwards? She's been disruptive in class. That's what happens to people who disobey authority."