Ten Things to do in Vegas

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'd say, "Don't worry, I'm not going to leave you; just think about good things and remember happier times."

While no one else could tell, I could see her trying to form a smile, then close her eyes and fall asleep.

Progress was slow; getting control of her face was her first goal. She wanted to speak, wanted to communicate, wanted to be free from this mental prison.

I tried to anticipate her needs and what she was trying to say or do. I did pretty well but missed now and then. It's funny, really. Her first clear word was "No" when I was pressing her about solid food.

I laughed and said, "After all this time, your first word to me is 'no'?"

She gave me a crooked face, which I knew was a smile, and we enjoyed her triumph together.

Things moved along from there, "No" became "Not now", which became "No thank you" and so on.

Without going into all the details, let me just say it was hard work, but every milestone was a celebration, and progress was made.

We always tried to make it a game and laugh when things didn't go as planned. After the tubes came out, it took Eddie time to recognize the feeling of needing to use the bathroom.

Semi-solid food came right after that and tubes started to be removed, she'd use her eyes to point to the bathroom and I'd pick her up like a toddler saying.. "hold it, hold it" while laughing all the way to the ensuite.

There were more than a few "Oops, too late" moments. The nurses were amazing, but I had to pitch in and change a Depends now and then.

She'd quietly say, "Wiping my butt may be the ultimate sign of love."

We found that waking up is just the beginning; while speaking seemed fairly easy, walking and body awareness took time. Using a knife and fork and drinking from a cup without a straw--these things we take for granted had to be re-learned, and it took time and energy, but she was amazing as time passed.

*****

We were planning for her discharge when someone I didn't know came into the room. He was one of those "I'm in charge" guys who entered without even thinking about asking permission.

His first words weren't hello or how are you feeling, his first words were,

"Who the fuck are you and don't tell me 'her husband'."

A nurse was right behind him saying,

"I'm so sorry, I've called security, he just pushed past everyone..."

I stood, "Wes, Wes Roberts, who are you?"

Eddie answered,

"He's my lawyer, well, the Trust's lawyer. Thompson Fuller."

I smiled and held my hand out, but he smacked it away and tried to push me aside... I'm sure I mentioned I'm not that young, but did I tell you that I am a veteran who has had training and, sadly, combat experience? I know how and have had to hurt people. All my life, I have managed to stay in shape, but over the last few months, lifting and moving Eddie added to my routine of hitting the gym at the hotel every night, has made me fairly strong.

I have to admit I didn't like this guy for a few reasons. First, his name sounded pretentious. Second, his attitude was bad. Last but not least, he tried to push me aside...

I grabbed his hand and rotated his wrist, with my thumb against the back of his hand, where the thumb meets the index finger, then with my fingers in his palm, I twisted and pressed, putting my other hand on his elbow.

It only hurt if he resisted. I really didn't want to hurt him too badly; I just controlled him, and it worked. I guided him to take a knee. He might not have liked it, but he really didn't have a choice.

Holding him there, I leaned in and quietly said in his ear,

"I don't care who you are; the next time you push me, I'll break your arm."

His blustering slowed and stopped when he realized I wouldn't let him up.

"Okay, okay... I'm just trying to protect Edwina."

"Really, where have you been for the last few months?"

Eddie quietly said,

"Wes, please let him go..."

I helped him up.

"...but yes, Tom, where have you been?"

Fuller said he was sorry, but he was overseas. Eddie had laid out her plan for giving, which kept the staff busy for several months. As it was all in place and assigned to the staff, he took that time to address other clients and also took a vacation.

"I hadn't--well, no one had heard anything about the accident until just a few days ago. Sure, there was a report of Edwina Simpson being in an accident, and I even got calls about it, but when I heard "her husband was at her side," I thought, 'Just a coincidence, someone with the same name,' and paid no attention because I know you aren't married.

He turned to me and said,

"I guess it's all a big misunderstanding, right?."

Eddie jumped in,

"It was supposed to be a joke, a thing to do in Las Vegas, but it seems all the paperwork was filed, and it turned out to be a legal wedding, filed with the County... and I am very glad it was. Without it, the police wouldn't have found Wes, and he wouldn't have been here, by my side, day and night, from the beginning. He has been my cheerleader and guide, getting me through this without ever thinking of himself. HE IS MY HUSBAND."

Paying no attention to me... Fuller said,

"I can't believe you would get married without my advice or a prenup. Well, it's not too late. We can draw up a postnuptial agreement and have him sign it."

"His name is Wes; please don't speak to me as if he isn't here...and never dismiss him again. He has been with me every minute; from the start, the staff would have to literally force him to go home for some rest..."

One of the nurses waved a hand in front of her face, scrunched up her nose, and said,

"...and a shower."

She smiled, and we all laughed...

Eddie continued,

"...I always knew he was here; I felt his touch, heard his voice, felt his love. He and the amazing doctors and nurses here got me through this... Tom, don't you dare look down your nose at Wes. Even the baby knows when he's here."

What we didn't know was Thompson was already busy trying to find a way to annul and/or void the marriage. He appointed himself interim President and CEO of Eddie's company, and charitable trust. He controlled the money thinking he could control us.

*****

I should stop here and tell you I had no idea who Eddie was. I later learned that she married young, right out of college, to her college sweetheart. He had an idea for a business when the internet was just getting started. He called it "NewLamps4Old, a Barter Network". Eddie was on the board and helped define acceptable margins and which goods they would allow. Her guidance and contributions turned what might have been considered a sleazy idea into a well-respected and very profitable business for exchanging goods as payment in a wide variety of business transactions.

It became the largest barter and goods exchange in the world, and it went public, making them both very wealthy. They traveled and bought houses in their primary markets... Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand, India, Belgium, Greece, Italy, Germany, and the UK. They had two houses in the States: one in California and another overlooking Central Park in Manhattan. They traveled in their private jet, and the company grew beyond their wildest dreams.

As success, or stress, can do, the fundamental difference in who they really were inside began to show...

He wanted a mega yacht; she wanted to feed the hungry... He wanted a bigger jet. She wanted a family and to travel less... He wanted to have multiple partners and make new "friends" when traveling. She believed in the sanctity of marriage.

I suppose those differences and his "cheating" took their toll, and they divorced. Eddie received stock, cash, and the only house she wanted, the one in Carmel Valley. Although the trust did have real estate investments, she was free to use them in Aspen, Key West, Bonaire, Hawaii, the UK, French Polynesia, and Thailand. When the dust settled and dollars were counted, Eddie was very well off.

A few points of earner interest on that much money is a lot to live on. So, using her annual interest and stock dividends for cash flow, she established a charitable trust and started to donate a lot of money. After a stock split and increase, her fortune moved into an area she believed was way more than an individual needs or should even have. She was able to make donations in the hundreds of millions of dollars range without effecting her income or lifestyle.

Thompson was an old family friend she had trusted completely and still generally trusted... up until now. It seemed clear he was trying to take complete control of her wealth, claiming Eddie wasn't and wouldn't be fit to run things for years.

As unbelievable as it sounds, she was being sued for controlling her money under the "Diminished Capacity." Thompson claimed and had an expert witness testify that Eddie could not make sound decisions. (Marrying me was a perfect example.) That and other baseless claims were all he needed to plead his case. Of course he would be generous with an allowance while she "recovered" and would turn everything back over to her, if and when, she was "in her right mind".

He even sent the expert into the hospital to "examine" her by watching her struggle to regain control over her motor movements.

What he didn't know was that Eddie was making amazing progress and was discharged without fanfare. So when a trial was scheduled in California with only a few days' notice, everyone was surprised to see a very pregnant Edwina Simpson walk slowly into the courtroom and take her seat next to her attorney.

The case went on remarkably long. Thompson wouldn't go away quietly, even when his tactics and underhanded actions were exposed.

There was a 7-day recess when Eddie gave birth to our adorable boy.

It's hard to explain how one feels the first time you hold a newborn baby, how they smell and feel. If you've experienced it, you'll know what I mean, but suddenly, everything changes. For some, it's changed for the good; for others, sadly, it's not. It was like I had awakened from a dream to find myself once again valued, important, and suddenly, at that moment, needed and with a purpose beyond just getting by.

It is incredible to hold this little helpless, wiggly bundle who was busy trying to figure out what all these new feelings and sensations were.

Eddie was only in the hospital a couple of days, she and the little guy, headed home to rest and try to get into a routine. While breastfeeding was the plan, it didn't work out. The formula we found came from Sweden, and the baby loved it and thrived.

Eddie hired a full-time nanny... Faustina, who had been a special needs teacher in Mexico, was now a long-time citizen who had lived in the States for 20 years. She is mature, but not old, and a lovely person. How much she cares for our son is amazing, and they bonded immediately. It still seems funny to me to say "our son", but there he was, Robert Wesley Simpson; I had a feeling of overwhelming love that is hard to describe.

But the trial loomed over us, and the weeks flew by. There was a big day coming. It seems the whole thing was coming to a head a month or so after the baby break. There would be one more day, one critical day, for final disclosures and arguments. Then, the judge said he would ask questions to clarify some details, deliberate for a couple of days, and make his decision.

It was hard to leave them, but I returned to Las Vegas to ensure I had all the documents and witness statements, we wanted to be ready and cover all the possible objections and questions...

But, when the day came, neither Fuller nor his expert witness showed.

The judge ruled;

"Without being able to clarify some of the plaintiff's claims or hearing any further opposing arguments, I find that Ms. Edwina Simpson is of sound body and mind, and her funds, estate, trust, and holdings were hereby ordered to be returned to her complete control."

*****

Thompson lived on the coast, and there was a rumor that an unknown male had been seen in and around his home about a week before Thompson disappeared, but the description was vague and incomplete...

"Tallish, white hair sticking out of a dark hood, dark-rimmed glasses... there was a loud argument. He seemed to know him, as he called Thompson by name. No other description was available, and no car had been seen."

The police followed up, but there was no evidence of foul play. All the doors and windows were intact, and the alarm was activated but never set off. Just a visitor in and around Thompson's house, it seemed like Thompson Fuller had left without word of where he was going.

*****

After a call from the Monterey Police, the Las Vegas Police Department decided to investigate me. They questioned a few people, but the hotel staff confirmed I was "home" (in my room) every night. While not actually seen, the front desk showed 'in room' charges for 'pay per view' movies and phone calls that could have only been made from my room. Coupled with the need for housekeeping to clean the room, change linens, and make the bed, I was obviously there every night over the last few days.

After questioning various 'in-house' staff... one night, they waited for the garage attendant to arrive for his new position, night shift manager, to question him. He pulled up at around 8 PM and parked his 1970, metallic blue Chevelle in his designated spot.

"Hector? Hector Morales?"

"Yes, sir, I'm Hector."

"Nice car! I'm Detective Morrison."

"Thank you, I love it... what can I do for you detective?"

"We're just wondering if you've seen Mr. Roberts recently."

"Sure, last night, pretty much every night since I took over this shift a few nights ago."

"You're sure?"

"Absolutely, he's living here. He came home about 9:30-10:00, maybe a little later. I guess it depends on how he does at the casinos."

"Do you know which casino?"

"No, we don't really talk that much. Just 'Hello' and 'Goodnight'. Friendly though, always seems to be in a good mood."

"What about his wife?"

"I haven't seen her since the accident. We all felt sorry for them."

"Okay, thanks for your help. We may have to speak with you again, but I don't think there's anything else to look into here."

While the officer went through the motions, he thought it was a long shot and reported what he had found back to Monterey. There really wasn't anything relevant they could tie me to Fuller's disappearance, especially after they confirmed I was, as I had said, at home in Las Vegas.

*****

After the police left, Hector thought back to his conversation with me maybe four days ago...

"Hey, Hector."


"Hey Wes, how's your wife doing?"

"She's stressed but doing great... I'm crazy busy, and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind doing me a favor. I need to be out of town for a couple of days, but don't want anyone to know. Now that you're on this late shift, maybe you could use my room, watch a movie, call a friend, or take a nap... it might mean not being completely truthful if, later on, someone asks about my being here... I was thinking you could use the Chevelle, too."

"You're going to let me cruise the strip in that car; I'll do anything you ask.. haha."

"Haha, I'll tell you what. You can not only use it, but you can have it if we can keep this between you and me."

"Ahh, are you sure? I know you love that car..."


"I love Eddie more, my friend..."

"Look, you take your day or two. I'll camp out in your room and cruise around town in that bad boy, and we'll see how you feel when you get back."

We shook hands. I went to my room, packed a couple of things, changed clothes, and headed out without saying anything to the staff.

*****

I had felt helpless; it all seemed to fall onto Eddie. Sure, I could be a gofer and do the running around, but one night, I realized I could actually solve this problem...

After my conversation with Hector, I walked a few blocks and hailed a cab. I then stopped at a pawn shop for a couple of things and had him drop me off at the Wild Wild West Truck Plaza.

It was easy to find someone going to San Francisco. I was going to have him drop me at a gas station where State Highway 46 crosses the 5, but once he found out where I was going, he said,

"I love driving up the coast. Dropping you off near Carmel puts me only a couple of hours out of Frisco. Besides, you paid for my gas, which makes this trip profitable. Even if I am a little late, I won't mind you, but this is a win-win for me."

I visited Fuller and his witness and did what I needed to do. While we like to believe we are civilized and war doesn't change who we are, it took no effort to slip back into that person from long ago...

Several hours later, I was hitchhiking down the 101. I got a ride from a lovely couple, who dropped me at the intersection with the 46 going East. I got a ride from a trucker going east and got dropped off where the 46 crosses the 5. There's a Love's Travel Stop just before the 5, where I got a ride to Las Vegas in a big rig hauling cases of wine. The driver was great. We got along well and laughed a lot.

My side trip went unnoticed; I returned to my room in less than 24 hours.

I gave Hector the title to the Chevelle and thanked him.

*****

At 6 AM, there was a knock on my door; I was still a little weird, sitting in the chair staring into space. I acted like they had woken me up, threw some water on my face, and toweled it off when I opened the door.

The same two officers had come by the day of the accident. I let them in...

"What's going on? Is Eddie okay? No one called me..."

"Yes, we're just following up on something... we had heard you were in California."

"I was. I got back a few days ago to get some paperwork for the hearing. There's a big day coming up."

"When did you get back?"

"Let me check my calendar. It was a charter. I have the details. Here you go; I arrived four days ago, at 9:20 PM."

"...and you haven't been back there since then?"

"What? When? Do you mean to California? Haha, I was at the county office first thing in the morning the first and second day and was back again later and stayed until five yesterday I was all over town tracking down the cab driver, the Elvis minister, and the cashier at the chapel. I'm getting all the same statements I needed for the insurance company, but now people are harder to find. So, getting all the confirming paperwork and ensuring it was in order... What's this all about?"

"Nothing, really... someone that very loosely fits your description was seen speaking to someone that killed himself..."

"Here? In the hotel?"

"No, no, in Monterey..."

"Hmm, other than Eddie, I don't think I know anyone who lives near Monterey."

"We're going to confirm with the County, the hotel, and the charter company just so we can send a complete report, but there's nothing we need to worry about here. Sorry to have bothered you so early... Oh, by the way, how is your wife doing?"

"She's doing great, thank you. Of course, it's still a struggle, but we're getting through it... I'm almost finished here, so I'll head back for the hearing with the paperwork tomorrow morning if I can. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel with all this legal crap."

*****

Once again, having gotten copies of all the documents and sworn statements from everyone, I was at the charter terminal, getting ready to fly back to California for what would hopefully be the end of our nightmare, when Eddie called...

"It's over!!"

"Eddie... Wait, What? How?"

"Thompson and his expert didn't show up in court, so the judge ruled in my favor. It's all over!"

"That's amazing!! Congratulations!"

"Drop everything there and head this way. I want to show you the house, and we should have a honeymoon, no a baby-moon, with the baby."