Terri and Bess

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One Saturday after supper Bess announced she was spending the night at her friend Janet's house. Terri said "Have fun, dear" but something in Bess's manner didn't feel right. I went back to our bedroom and called Janet's mom. She told me Janet had claimed she was spending the night with Bess! I knocked on Bess's door; she answered while talking on her cell phone.

"End the call, Bess. We need to talk."

"Call you right back...what's up Will?"

"Janet told her mom she was spending the night over here."

"You checked up on me!"

"Damn good thing I did. Where were you going, young lady?"

"I..I..I'm not telling you! You're not my..."

"Not your father, Bess? I never said I was. What I am is your stepdad, the one you practically hand-picked for yourself. Not many teenagers get to do that. What do you think your father would say to you right now, God rest his soul?"

Bess looked down, shame-faced, then raised her head. Blinking back tears, she said, "I'm sorry, Will. You're the best dad any girl could wish for. Ann's parents are out of town and we were planning to go spend the night with her -- just girls, four of us, nothing wild. I shouldn't have lied to you and Mom."

"Bess, darling, when word gets out about someone's parents being gone, things often get out of hand. Guys show up. Beer and liquor and drugs show up. Ann would be trapped -- call the cops and her parents would be notified. Don't call the cops and watch things spiral out of control. It just isn't safe, no matter how innocent the original intent. Sometimes, kids wind up in jail, or the morgue."

She gasped; her hands flew to her mouth. "Oh, Will, I never thought..."

"Sometimes, grown-ups know best." I was only twenty-seven but I took my responsibility for Bess seriously.

She hugged me. "I'll call Janet and Ann and tell them I'm not coming."

"Good choice."

When I left her room, Terri was standing in the hall. She motioned with her head and I followed her out to the porch. After I closed the door she turned to me with tears in her eyes. "Thanks for taking care of that, Will. But do you think I only married you for Bess's sake?"

"No, dear-heart, I know that's not the case. But I also know that you wouldn't have given me a chance if you hadn't trusted me with Bess -- and Bess took the first step. Unless you sent her to me?"

She laughed softly. "No, you're right, probably more than you realize. When Bess saw another woman at your house she stormed home and practically ordered me not to let you get away."

I was puzzled. "Another woman at my house?"

"Wanda Simmons" she spat out.

"Wanda...oh, the cherry pie. I'd forgotten all about that. Wait a minute, that was the day..."

"Yes, THAT day!"

"Oh, ho, so I owe Wanda Simmons a thank-you?" I teased.

"If you say one word of this to anybody I'll murder you in your sleep! And don't you dare go near Wanda for any reason!" I swear flames leapt out of her mouth and smoke poured from her ears.

I quenched the flames with a kiss, then pulled away to say: "Murder would be messy and inconvenient. I suggest you simply keep my lips covered so I can't say anything to anybody about..." She eagerly took my suggestion, her lips scalding mine. I said a silent Thank you very much! to Wanda in my head. I'm still not sure I would've ever had the nerve to ask Terri out!

As for Bess, she quit calling me Will. I became Dad. I felt privileged and humble to carry that title, and strove to live up to it. I couldn't have asked for a finer daughter.

When she graduated from high school, she told us she was taking a break from school; she wanted more time to spend on her website. Turned out she had developed an 'Unknown Artists' market, initially featuring some of Terri's water colors. Once she gave it her full attention it went viral and, at age 18, Bess was earning in six figures -- shades of her beloved father!

She had never dated in high school; neither had I. I began thinking where she might meet suitable men. There was a web designer's coffee shop a few blocks away which I casually mentioned one day. A week later she began spending time there. Several weeks after that she brought a guy home, about her height (five-nine), serious looking but friendly, dark-haired and beginning to bald.

Bess

The first time I saw the man I was intrigued. When he got his latte and began looking for a seat I called out "Hi there!" and gestured to the empty spot next to me. "I'm Bess."

"Hi Bess, I'm Travis."

"So what's your angle? I've got a site that matches unknown artists to buyers and collectors."

"Neat! I have to admit I'm not a designer, I just stopped in out of curiosity."

"Oh, a wolf in sheep's clothing? Prowling around under false pretenses?" I teased, smiling as I spoke.

"Well, I have to admit, it seems to be paying off..."

I laughed and we each took a sip from our cups. "So do you do anything honest for a living?"

"Well, let's see what can I admit to..." I laughed again. "I'm an actuary."

"As if! The odds of that being true..." We both cracked up. Several people cried "Hush!"

Travis spoke softly: "I'd better get to whatever it is I do..." I giggled. He asked, "Can I treat you to lunch later? 12:30?"

"I'd like that."

Lunch was wonderful. Can't remember what I ate, but we talked and laughed and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. I glanced at the wall clock; it was nearly two! "Shouldn't you be pretending to get back to work?" I asked in mock seriousness. "Won't you get in trouble for being late?"

"Probably" he said and we cracked up again. He got up and started to say something but I popped up and kissed him. He looked startled.

"See you tomorrow morning at the coffee shop? 7:30?" I held my breath.

He broke into a wide grin and answered me with a longer kiss, then said "Until then" and strolled off whistling. I exhaled. My heart was pounding. My feet were floating on air.

I don't think I slept a wink. I got to the coffee shop at 6:45. Travis was already there. We ordered our lattes. We tried to keep our voices down but after several "Hush!" attacks we decided to take a walk. It was a lovely day. Travis took my hand in his. The day got even lovelier!

At 8:20 Travis said, "I suppose I'd better pretend to go to work. Can we meet for lunch?"

I kissed him, hard, then broke off. "Don't I rate dinner?"

"Well, after careful consideration of all the relevant data..." I kissed him again. "I'd say dinner's a sure bet! Where shall I pick you up?"

"Meet here? 7:00?"

"Your wish is my command!"

I managed to take care of some urgent tasks on my website but otherwise couldn't concentrate and so packed it in around 11:30. I went for a long bike ride, took a shower, then looked in my closet. There wasn't a single thing I wanted to wear!

I threw on a T-shirt and jeans, my usual outfit, stepped out in the hall and called "Mom!" No answer. I went outside and found her digging in the garden. "Mom! I need some clothes. I need to go shopping, now!"

"Heavens, dear, I'm all covered with dirt...Oh! Do you have a date?"

I nodded yes. "Give me ten minutes, sweetie."

Twenty minutes later she emerged from her room. I was about to burst but bit back any complaint. She headed for my car but I said "Do you mind driving? I'm nervous as a kitten."

She smiled, gave me a hug and said "Of course, dear. Where shall we go?"

"I don't know! I've never dressed for a date before!"

She laughed. "Well, it's been years for me. How about that shop down on Bell Street?"

When we got there and emerged from the car I heard the squeal of tires braking hard. Men stepped out of their cars, stuck their heads out of windows and doors. The usual stuff when going anywhere with Mom. Anyway, once in the store, I couldn't decide on anything. Finally I told Mom, "You pick something! You know clothes! I'm going crazy!"

She hugged me again, then selected a maroon beret, white blouse, leather jacket, pencil skirt, fishnet stockings and mid-calf boots, all black except for the beret and blouse. When I looked in the mirror I said "Wow! Is that me?"

Mom didn't say anything. When I looked at her tears were streaming from her eyes. "My little girl is all grown up!"

I hugged her and said softly, "I am nineteen, you know." She hugged me tightly.

I'd cooked the night before so there were plenty of leftovers for Mom and Dad. I told Dad I had a dinner date; Mom looked pleased, Dad pleased but wary. He said "Just let us know if you'll be out late, so we don't worry."

"OK, Dad. Love you both!"

I'd asked Janet to pick me up -- I wasn't ready to introduce Travis to Mom and Dad just yet. Janet did a double-take when she saw my outfit. "This guy must be something else -- you're dressed to kill, girl! Your eyes are amazing!"

"I know, right? Mom picked the clothes and did the makeup. And yes, I think he's very special."

I expected Janet to keep me company while I waited, but we rolled up at 6:45 and Travis was already standing by his car. Janet commented "Sharp dresser! But a little on the mature side, don't you think?"

I didn't reply; I was drinking in Travis in a charcoal grey jacket, dress shirt, dress slacks and checked tie. I stepped out and he froze; "Holy Cripes, Bess! You look fantastic!"

"You clean up nice yourself, Travis. This is my friend, Janet. Janet, meet Travis."

"Nice to meet you, Travis. Now I think my presence is no longer required. Enjoy your dinner!" She drove off and we walked hand-in-hand to his car, kissed before getting in, and then again after.

Eventually Travis started the car and drove into the city. I was impressed with his choice of restaurants -- it was near the top of my list of places to try. At first I was too keyed up to eat much, but as I nibbled at this and that my 'inner chef' kicked in and I began to analyze the subtle combinations of flavors. Before I knew it I had actually disposed of most of my meal. Travis was still struggling; I had him close his eyes as I fed him various morsels and drew his attention to their highlights. He, too, made a decent dent in his food. Neither of us opted for desert.

Next Travis drove to a marina and escorted me to a fair sized cabin boat. I texted Dad going out on the lake c u in the am. Dad replied weather looks good take care darling daughter.

Travis took us straight out across the lake, cutting the motor when the lights of the city were just at the horizon. The air was warm and calm, the stars dazzling. He brought out a large cushion and some blankets, and we lay down facing each other under the night sky. In all my nineteen years I had never felt more alive or closer to another person.

We resumed kissing; after awhile I unbuttoned his jacket, removed his tie and unbuttoned his shirt to caress his bare chest. He unzipped my jacket and caressed my tits. My nipples jutted out against my bra and blouse; he unbuttoned my blouse and unhooked the front-clasped bra. He fondled each tit; they were just the size to fit into his hands. Then he sucked on the nipples as I moaned softly.

We finished undressing and lay naked before God, the Universe and each other. I played with his hard shaft and caressed his balls. He stopped me, said "I'd better get a condom," and stood up.

"Right," I said, "not that we'll need them for long."

He stopped and turned toward me: "What was that?"

"I said, I hope you like children, Travis George, because I plan on having several."

"Hell yes!" He dove on top of me, his hands and lips seemingly everywhere; when he squeezed my ass I opened my legs and guided his missile into my tube. He tried to go at a moderate pace but I urged him on with my hands and moans and soon he erupted, spewing his cum into my canal.

I didn't climax but that wasn't important -- I could always take care of myself later. What mattered is that we were joined in love with the stars as witness. I had been technically a virgin, though I had long since removed my hymen with a vibrating dildo. But now I belonged to someone else, someone I cared deeply about. I trusted he cared about me.

Travis pulled a blanket over us and we slept under the stars. He woke up hard during the night and we made love again; this time I let him stimulate me to a climax before he came again inside me.

In the early daylight we returned the boat and he drove me home. We kissed and I invited him to Sunday dinner. We kissed again; Dad came to the door so I got out and waved goodbye.

"So when do we meet this fella, Bess?"

"Sunday dinner."

"Very good, and welcome home." Dad hugged me and I clung to him for a good while before going inside and seeing Mom, Bert and Daisy.

Sunday we went to church as had become our habit since Bert arrived; Mom had found a congregation she liked with a dynamic young preacher. Father Michael's sermons were very personal, focusing on the love between God and Man and among us mortals. I left a brisket stew slow-cooking to go with French rolls and a mixed greens salad; Sunday dinner was set for 1:30.

Will

The doorbell rang at 1:15; Bess called out "I'll get it!" and rushed from the kitchen to answer. She came back with her arm around a man I took to be in his mid-thirties, clean shaven, well-dressed. "Mom, Dad, this is Travis George. Travis, my parents, Will Bridges and Terri Thorne-Bridges." I shook his hand; his handshake was firm but friendly. I turned to Terri and noted an odd look on her face.

"Pleased to meet you, Travis," she said. "Pardon me for asking, but you are somewhat older than Bess?"

"Mom!"

"That's OK. I'm thirty-seven."

I looked at Terri and we both gave a short laugh. "Like mother, like daughter!"

Travis looked puzzled, glancing between Terri and me. Terri explained:

"My first husband, Cal, Bess's father, was forty-seven when we married. I was eighteen. He passed away unexpectedly when Bess was six."

Bert came trotting in at this point; Bess scooped him up and said "And this little rascal is my baby brother Bert!" While Travis chatted with Bert Terri fetched Daisy and set her in her high chair.

Dinner went well; Travis joined easily in the friendly banter and wide-ranging conversation. When all had had their fill, including vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries for desert, Terri looked at Bess. "Should I inquire about when the chapel might be available for a wedding?" I was stunned at the suggestion -- these two had, as far as I understood, only met this week!

Travis and Bess looked at each other and Bess answered "Yes, please."

Terri removed her diamond ring from her right hand, where she had moved it to make room for the ruby I gave her. "This ring went with the happiest years of my life before I met Will, and gave me comfort for the many years I was alone. May it bless the two of you with even greater happiness." She handed it to Travis. Bess gasped.

Travis went to one knee and offered it to Bess. She extended her hand and he put it on her finger. They kissed and she looked at her mother with joy and awe.

That evening, after Travis finally left and Terri and I were alone, I said "I'm surprised. I certainly like Travis but I was thinking perhaps they were rushing things -- then you pushed them along even faster!"

"Did you see the man, Will? Look in a mirror! If the two of you walked down the street everyone would take him for your older brother!"

"Oh. Oh my. Oh my oh my!"

Travis

As we left the house I could hardly believe what was happening. I was engaged to be married to a beautiful girl half my age that I'd met just this week! I wasn't sure what her dad thought but Bess's mom was certainly on board, passing along her ring like that! And I knew I was the luckiest guy alive.

When we reached the car we hugged, kissed, then both pulled back to say "O my God!" We laughed and kissed again.

"You didn't mention your Mom's looks -- which magazine did she pop out of?"

"I know, right? She's my mom and she doesn't get out much but when she does traffic can get snarled for miles!"

I laughed "I can believe it! And then, when you sit down and talk to her, she's even more incredible!"

"I know, right? She's a walking wikipedia! She knows something, at least, about everything! When we play Trivial Pursuit the rule is she has to answer all the questions on each card and she still trounces me and Dad most of the time!"

"Are you happy with the ring, darling?"

"Oh, yes! I can't believe she did that. Are you OK with it?"

"Absolutely, especially after seeing what it meant to you." We kissed again. "Your dad seemed more reserved, but I imagine you've got him wrapped around your finger?"

"No way! Mom's the pushover, she hates to argue. I walked all over her when I was thirteen, which wasn't good for either of us. Dad? He can whip out that tough-love hammer and bring it down hard! And that's exactly what I needed to get me through high school. So maybe he thinks we're rushing things but he knows I'm an adult now. He didn't try to talk us out of it, you know?"

"That's true. And he clearly loves you."

Will

Terri talked to Father Michael on Monday; he said he'd like to meet Travis. We invited him to the Wednesday night fellowship. Father Michael also asked for a counseling session with the couple, then he'd be glad to perform the ceremony Saturday the next week.

I asked Bess where they were going to live; would she move in with Travis? "Got it covered, Dad!"

Two days later a SOLD sign appeared in front of my old house; I hadn't been aware the Fergusons were planning a move! I strolled over to chat and Bob just said "No, we weren't planning anything, but that girl of yours wouldn't take no for an answer! She offered us $400 grand, half in cash. That's $100 grand above market price! I assumed you must be helping her finance it."

"No, Bob, apparently she doesn't need any help." Wow! Her website must be really paying off! Her papa would be proud.

The next time I spoke with Bess I mentioned the house. "Well, Dad, you didn't think I was going to leave you and Mom and my brother and sister to starve, did you?"

So Bess got married, took a ten-day Alaskan Cruise honeymoon, and settled in to the house next door. She cooked, in our kitchen, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nearly every week and the combined household ate those meals together. Our family included the four adults, Bert, Daisy and soon Bess's own children. She had one every other year until the fourth was born; they decided that was enough. Terri had a miscarriage after Daisy and decided to have her tubes removed so we stabilized at four adults and ten kids -- until, at age 35, Bess gave birth to twins!

Epilogue -- Bess

Daisy proudly carried the cake she'd baked to me. It was covered with forty candles, burning brightly. Dad promptly announced I'd blow them all out in one breath; Travis said no way! I wished the next forty years could be as filled with love and joy as I felt at the moment. Then I took a deep breath and blew them all out! The twins, Tizzie and Lizzie, clapped and cried "Mommy! Mommy!" -- and then the blasted candles lit back up! Everyone laughed until I threatened to dump the whole mess in the pool. The candles were quickly removed and extinguished and we all enjoyed Daisy's creation. She had a real flair for baking.

While we were eating I reflected on the past forty years, especially the men in my life. My little girl heart belonged to Papa. I could still remember him laughing, twirling me around, tossing me into the air and catching me. All too soon, of course, he'd been taken away.

I looked at my husband. My grown-up girl heart belonged to him. He could melt me with a glance, a touch, a soft word. And he could still drive me bonkers in the bedroom!

I realized Mom would turn sixty next year, and Travis the year after that. Based on age, perhaps Mom and I should've swapped. I laughed in my head to imagine that conversation! But perhaps it was better this way: my husband would say the odds favored Travis dying before Mom, while Will was likely to outlive her. She'd already suffered years of widowhood; I'm not sure she could go through it again. I, meanwhile, tried to store up good memories for the future. Beyond that, I felt my extended family would help fill the void for me when Travis left. I don't think that would do as much for Mom if Will were taken -- she was simply too dependent on her partner.