Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Emily, I'm sorry to tell you this, but we believe the victim is Patrick." She moaned loudly and began uncontrollable bawling. I reached for her hand, but she refused it. She folded her arms on the table and laid her head on them as she cried. Tears came to my eyes once again. The detective looked down, bit his lower lip and waited.

After a few moments he added, "In his wallet was a California license. Thankfully, he had an emergency contact card and we called his parents who live in Conway, near Myrtle Beach. They're coming here, and we're going to meet them at the airport in an hour. Emily, his mom asked about you but we didn't know anything. We found your purse in the car, along with suitcases that had your name on them."

We could only try to console her; Emily was devastated. I asked the detective if I could walk her to the bedroom and he instantly agreed.

Sergeant Stevens returned and said a unit had been dispatched to the station to collect the security camera recordings for the past 24 hours. Detective Lindsay asked that Emily be available for the next couple of days for any follow-up. He also asked if he could give Mr. Jones my cell number for them to reach Emily.

Before they left, I asked whether it would be possible for Emily to have her purse since it contained her license and all her valuables. The detective said he would ask the district attorney, but he didn't think the purse or luggage would be needed as evidence. He promised to let me know within 24 hours. They left their business cards and asked that Emily call if she remembered anything else.

****

As 7:00 pm approached, I was very hungry and knew Emily must be famished. I had heard nothing from her room since the officers left. I knocked on her door and heard stirring. She quietly said, "Come in."

Opening the door, I saw Emily sitting on the bed. She patted the space beside her and told me to come.

"What am I going to do, Matt? He was my whole world and he's gone. I have no one left." She began sobbing and reached for tissues.

"You have many good friends who love you. I know this is devastating. I'm sure Patrick's parents will be there for you. Can I get you something to eat or drink?"

"Just water. I don't have an appetite."

I brought a full glass, but she lay quietly with her eyes closed. I put it on the nightstand, quietly closed her door and returned to the sofa.

****

The local evening news gave more details of the incident. It reported that the body of a young man was found in the back seat of the car, and it appeared he had been killed by a gunshot long before the accident. The two other men were identified, and a spokesperson for the police said that a handgun had been recovered and was undergoing ballistic testing. The bank teller had been wounded in the arm and was in satisfactory condition at Kennestone Hospital in Marietta.

Later, Emily opened her door and came to the sofa and sat near me. She was lethargic with her eyes terribly bloodshot. She asked, "Can I use your computer again? I need to let some of our friends know what happened." I walked to get it.

"Did the policeman say that Patrick's parents were coming today?"

"Yes. They're here now, I think. He's giving them my number so they can call you."

She reached for my hand and lightly squeezed it.

"Matt, you were the only one who cared. Thank you."

"I did what I should have done, Emily. I'm sorry this happened." After a moment, I added, "Hey, I'm hungry. Would you eat a slice of pizza if I ordered one?"

"Yes, I would. I do need to eat something." She took my laptop and returned to her bedroom.

The pizza was delivered 25 minutes later. Emily ate two pieces and drank a cola as we discussed Patrick's parents and the latest news reports.

"I asked the detective to release your purse and luggage. He's checking with the DA and promised to let us know tomorrow. He didn't think it'd be a problem."

"That'd help," she replied.

We crashed early. During the night, I heard her cry out several times. She must have been having terrible dreams. Thankfully, the other two units in my building were vacant until the fall semester.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

After rising and making coffee, I checked the local news. The new information included the identification and photo of Patrick and a video clip from the station showing two men approaching while he was pumping gas. One was in front of him, and the other came from behind and appeared to have stuck a gun in his back. Patrick entered the back seat, followed by the gunman, and the other man drove the car away.

The cashier was interviewed but didn't know anything of the crime. A police spokesperson said the case was under investigation, but it appeared no others were involved. The teller had been released from the hospital. The report showed the photos of the two men and said they had an extensive criminal history including armed robbery and various drug charges. All stolen money was recovered.

After the news, I left a note for Emily and walked to the gym. Shortly after I returned, Emily opened her door and saw me. "Hi," was her subdued greeting.

"Good morning."

"The coffee smells good. May I have some?"

"You want cream and sugar?"

"No, just black." I poured a cup for her and another for me.

"You were having bad dreams."

"Did I wake you?"

"Yeah, a few times. I wish I could help you."

"I'm very sorry."

I nodded and reviewed for Emily the latest news report but decided not to show the replay since it dwelled on Patrick's photo. She sat on the sofa and sipped coffee in silence, never looking at me.

I struggled to start a conversation to no avail before receiving a call.

"Hello."

"Hi, is this Mr. Anderson?"

"Yes, I'm Matt Anderson."

"My name is Pat Jones. The police said that Emily Ryan is with you. May I speak with her?"

"One moment."

I asked Emily whether she could speak with Patrick's father; she nodded, took the phone and walked to her bedroom. The call was very difficult for her and I heard sobbing several times.

She leaned out the door and asked, "Could you take me to the Omni Hotel this morning at 9:30?" I nodded. She confirmed to Pat that she would be there and would come to their room.

****

Entering the lobby, I offered to wait if she wanted to meet them privately. To my surprise, Emily asked me to come with her.

As we walked, I glanced and saw her wiping tears that were running down her cheeks. However, her head was up and she looked determined.

When Mr. Jones opened the door, Emily ran past him and into the arms of Mrs. Jones. They embraced and cried for several moments.

I introduced myself to Mr. Jones.

"Matt, please call me Pat. I appreciate your taking care of Emily. The police told me how you helped her, and I know she appreciates it."

"I was glad to help. She was in a tough situation."

When Nancy and Emily separated, she hugged Pat. I introduced myself to Nancy, and she insisted on embracing me.

"Thank you Matt," she whispered. I looked into her bloodshot eyes and nodded.

Pat asked for us to be seated. Emily recounted the events of the previous day and how she learned of Patrick's death.

Pat followed with their account. "The Atlanta police called Nancy and said there had been a serious accident. They believed that Patrick was involved. They had no information about you, Emily, but they needed us to quickly come to Atlanta. We booked a flight late yesterday afternoon and were met at the airport by Detective Lindsay. He said the person they believed was Patrick had not survived, and it appeared that two men who were killed in the car crash had murdered him.

"They were investigating several loose ends, including ballistic tests on a gun they found. We were taken to the morgue to identify his body. He was shot in the head and killed instantly, according to the medical examiner. The police suggested we come here for the night.

"An officer called this morning and said the autopsy had been completed, and they would release his body to us later today."

Nancy added, "Emily, we're thinking about having his body cremated and having a memorial service for him a little later in San Francisco."

Emily replied, "I agree. Many friends will attend to celebrate his life. Patrick and I talked about cremation once, and he wanted it."

Pat responded, "Then that's what we'll do. What are your plans now? You're welcome to come home with us and stay as long as you like."

Emily asked, "When are you planning to go?"

Nancy replied, "It's likely to be a couple of days. We have to arrange everything and we're not sure how long that'll take."

"I'm also in that situation. The police must decide when I can collect my purse and luggage. Matt said it might be today."

I explained, "The DA must agree it's not needed as evidence."

Emily asked, "Matt, could I stay with you a while longer?"

I was surprised, actually shocked.

"Uhhh, sure."

She explained to Pat and Nancy, "Matt has a very nice two-bedroom apartment and he's been the perfect host. I'm very thankful for his help."

Pat nodded and replied, "We'll check with you later this afternoon or evening when we know more."

Emily hugged and kissed them before we returned to the apartment. She was introspective during the short ride back.

Once there, she asked, "Do you mind if I lie down? I'm still exhausted from the last two nights."

"Please do. I need to run errands and pick up groceries. I'll do that while you rest. Is there anything you need or any particular food I can get for you?"

"I don't think so. Wait, could you get some sleep-aid pills for me?"

"Will do. Those might help."

"May I use your computer while you're away?"

"Let me get it."

She walked to her bedroom with the laptop as I left the apartment. I stopped at the landlord's office and scheduled a final inspection and picked up a departure checklist. I shopped for breakfast foods, bread, milk, and a six-pack of beer. While at the supermarket, my phone rang.

"Hello."

"This is Sergeant Ramsey with the Atlanta Police Department. Is this Mr. Anderson?"

"Yes sir."

"Mr. Anderson, Detective Lindsay asked me to contact you concerning the personal belongings of Miss Ryan. He said that the DA has agreed to release them to her. She can stop by anytime this afternoon."

"Thank you very much." He gave me their address.

****

After opening the apartment door I was surprised to see Emily running to the bedroom from the kitchen. She was topless but hiding her breasts with her hands. She did have panties on. I yelled my apologies as she shut the door.

While I was putting the food away, her door opened and a fully clothed Emily came to the kitchen. I could tell that she was embarrassed and contrite.

"I'm sorry I wasn't properly dressed when you returned. I was getting water and never thought about you coming back so soon."

"No worries Emily; I've seen beautiful women's boobs before, but I actually didn't see yours." We both grinned.

I told her about the DA releasing her belongings and that we could go down in the afternoon and pick them up. She was relieved.

Emily said, "I've been meaning to ask you. Why were you at the gas station so early yesterday morning?"

"I occasionally eat at that diner and normally go early to avoid the crowd. I'm an early riser anyway... usually up by 5:15. When I woke yesterday, I decided to go there for breakfast. I filled the car after I ate."

"What? You had already eaten? Why did you eat again with me?"

"Because I wanted to. It wouldn't have been proper for me to sit there and watch you eat."

She studied my face before responding, "You really are a gentleman."

I smiled. "Thanks."

I made ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch, and we sat at the table and talked. She wanted to know about my new job and the company that hired me. She was surprised that I would be working very near her apartment in California.

I wanted to know more about her background and her friends. She was obviously very intelligent and shared that she had graduated in the top five percent of her class. She was devastated when she couldn't continue in college. What I liked was that she seemed to be growing more comfortable talking with me. Looking past her sorrow, I could see a very interesting woman - but completely out of my league.

"You don't have a Southern accent like the police officers do. Are you from Atlanta?"

"No. I'm from a little town west of Des Moines, Iowa."

"You grew up on a farm?"

"Good guess. We primarily grow corn and hay, but we also have a dairy herd."

"Was that hard work?"

"Never ending. I'm still up early. Old habits, I suppose."

"When are you driving to the coast?"

"The movers come on the 13th. Final inspection by the apartment manager is the next morning, and then it begins. I have to be at work on June 1st."

"How are you planning to go?"

"I'm driving first to Iowa and visit with my family for a few days. It's about 900 miles, and I plan to go through Chattanooga and take Interstate 24 through Nashville and then I-64 to St. Louis and wind my way to Des Moines."

"Would you like some company for that long trip? I could help drive?"

I was gobsmacked.

"Emily, I assumed you would want to return home as quickly as possible."

"Return to what?" Tears came to her eyes as she looked down.

"Matt, I'm very scared about my immediate future, and you're the only one I know who might be able to help. I have no intention to sponge off you, however."

She paused momentarily before adding, "My world has just fallen apart again. I don't know why, but you decided to help me. All I'm asking is that you help me a little longer until I can figure out what to do."

I replied, "It seems that Pat and Nancy care about you."

"They do. But, I don't want to go to their house now. It'll be a pity party for as long as I'm there. Patrick was the only reason I wanted to go. They need recovery time, and they don't need me there as a guest to be entertained."

"What about your friends in San Francisco?"

"They're great friends, but I can't live with them. Friends stay friends as long as I don't impose on them."

"Would you be able to use Patrick's apartment?"

"His parents rented that for him for school. I don't think they will do that for me. And I can't afford it on my own. I'm in trouble, Matt."

"I understand. So let's talk about you coming with me. How would that work?"

"I'll have money as soon as I get my purse and credit cards back. I can pay for my room and for my food and even help with the gas."

"My employer is paying the moving costs so the gas is covered.

"Emily, I really, really feel for you. Life has handed you a raw deal, and I do want to help. You're obviously a tough survivor. But we're talking about a situation that I don't know I can handle. I'm only a guy. How can I be with you for several weeks and not yield to temptation? You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. That scares me and I don't want to cause you more pain."

"Can't we think of each other like good friends or like brother and sister? We're not going to be lovers. We hardly know one another, but I'm already very comfortable with you. You're a genuine and sincere guy with a solid foundation in life. My life now has no foundation, and I need to cling to yours, at least for a little while. Please let me Matt. I don't know what else I can do."

After a pause, I knew what I had to do but wanted time to think. I asked, "Can we talk about it tonight?"

She looked down, and a depressed look returned to her face when she replied, "I guess."

"You want to go now and collect your belongings?"

"Yeah, I hope it's all there."

****

I drove to the police precinct. The officer at the front desk said Detective Lindsay wanted to see us. We were escorted to his office, and he stood as we entered. After shaking hands, he asked for us to be seated.

"Emily, we've completed the investigation. We're convinced that Patrick was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thankfully, you were in the restroom when it happened.

"We reviewed the security videos, and they confirmed the kidnapping and carjacking. The same two men who robbed the bank were involved. The ballistic tests show that the slug recovered from Patrick was fired from the revolver we found in the car. The one recovered at the bank was also fired from that same revolver. In fact, we've matched slugs from three other open homicide investigations to this same handgun. Those were drug related. These two had branched out into bank robbery, it seems.

"When we searched the car, Emily, we found a GPS tracking device; but it was in an unusual place, which surprised us. Did Patrick have it installed?"

"I've no idea. He never mentioned it."

"Lots of people install them these days."

"He probably did. He was always a high-tech geek."

"The DA has determined that there's no reason to hold any of your personal belongings. We have those for you downstairs. We're meeting with Patrick's parents later and will release his belongings to them. There were four suitcases in the trunk, and we'd like for you to go through them and select your belongings if they're co-mingled. The officer on duty will assist you and you'll need to sign a receipt for the items you take.

"Please carefully check your purse and see whether anything was taken. We don't anticipate needing to contact you again unless something unexpected comes up. Are you remaining in the area a few days?"

"Another week or so. I hope to return to California with Matt starting next week." Emily glanced at me.

I explained that I would start a job near San Francisco on June 1st and would be driving there beginning the 14th.

"Do you have any questions for me?" asked the detective.

I looked at Emily and she replied, "No."

I said, "I have a question. Why did the two patrolmen leave Emily at the gas station sitting on a curb all night? I don't think they did what they could to protect her in that situation."

"I met with them this morning. They were called to an emergency while they were assisting her. They failed to report that Emily was still there so another unit could assist her. There is no excuse for that. We didn't do our job. I don't think it will happen again to anyone in her situation. I apologize, Emily, that it happened this time."

We stood and again shook hands. An officer escorted us to the room downstairs to collect the luggage and purse. It took several minutes to sort through the contents and separate her items from his. She was emotional as many items of his clothing brought back memories. Emily's purse seemed to be in order, and she signed the receipts prepared for her.

We returned to the apartment. It was late afternoon, and Emily was obviously tired. The emotional roller coaster had exhausted her. She went directly to the bedroom and closed the door.

****

At 6:00 pm, the phone rang.

"Hello."

"Hi Matt, this is Pat."

"Hello sir."

"Patrick's body was released this afternoon. It's now at the Cremation Society of Georgia facility at 1826 Marietta Boulevard. The cremation will be tomorrow afternoon. I called to ask if Emily would like to see his body. I know it'll be tough on her, but I want her to have that opportunity."

"Pat, she's asleep. Let me ask her to call you a little later tonight. Are you still at the Omni?"

"Yes, that'd be fine. We'll be up late, I'm sure."

"How are you and Nancy doing?"

"The best we can. How's Emily?"

"Not well. She's having difficulty with her emotions and nightmares that I can't even imagine. I'm concerned."

"It'll take time. Emily is a special young lady, and we were expecting she'd be part of our family someday. Patrick was in love with her, and we have known her since she was a small child."