That Girl Next Door Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay," Melanie acquiesced. "I think I get what you are saying. Give me a little time to think about it. Jesus, Jess! You have just totally blindsided me tonight! I'm freaking out because I am so overwhelmed at the moment. But what about the original reason that you were crying and ran up here? What the hell happened between you and Jason? Did you two have another fight?"

"It's just like I told you. He is totally in his 'big brother mode' right now. He thinks that he has to protect me at all costs. Especially if he, himself is the eminent danger to me. Tonight, I backed him into a corner that he couldn't escape from and forced him to confess his feelings about me. Then we kissed. I'm not talking about bussing my cheek. I'm not talking brother/sister kissing. We KISSED! Boyfriend/Girlfriend kissing with lots of tongue action. Giiirrrl, it was so totally hot!"

"And then?"

"And then when Jason realized what he had done, he totally freaked and took off in Dad's car. I have no idea where he went. But I think I have a plan on how to make this all work out. It's just an idea and I will still need to flesh out the details. But when I have something more, I will fill you in. You and I are going to be co-conspirators. We're going to convince Jason that it is okay to be in love with both of us at the same time. We're going to put our merry band back together!"

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

Jason drove his father's car out to Weiser Airpark. For a few moments, in his panic, he considered jumping back in the airplane and immediately flying back to Nacogdoches. He stared at the lenses of the rotating beacon as they spun on their red and white striped pole. Green light, then white, the beams flashed overhead. Again and again. Sending their message of welcome to any aircraft in range to see them. He felt at peace here and slowly began to calm back down to rational thought.

He replayed his conversation with Jessica over and over. In the heat of the moment, he had not put all of the pieces of the puzzle into their correct places yet. In spite of his best efforts to prevent it, his sister was actually in love with him. She shared his feelings even though he had tried to keep the two of them apart. He had done his very best not to influence her. He really and truly had wanted her to find someone else to date and have a normal life. He really didn't want her to share in the same pain and helplessness that he often felt.

And yet, through no fault of his own, she had found the same path that he had taken and followed it. She had ended up exactly where he did not want her to be. What the hell had he done wrong? How in the hell did he fail to prevent this? He had sacrificed so damn much and worked so hard, all to no avail. This wasn't a battle that he could continue to fight alone. He needed an ally, but just who could he trust with a bombshell like this?

He watched a Cessna 337 Skymaster drift down to the runway and thought of Roel Hinojosa, one of his closest High School friends. They used to hang out together at lunch time. Roe had often commented that he was glad that his sisters weren't as pretty as Jessie. He had opined that he wouldn't have been able to resist her charms. This would be followed with him making the sign of the cross, casting his eyes skyward, and muttering a quick prayer asking for forgiveness. "Jason, dude. You're a far better man than I." Yeah, Roel was crushing on Jessie. Almost every guy on earth probably was. Actually, that was something to consider. In that moment of contemplation, Jason realized that if Roel and Jessica were to start dating and eventually marry he would be okay with it. Well, maybe. First, Roel would have to grow up and stop flirting with every pretty skirt that walked past.

There was a time when Roe had been undecided on which university he wanted to go to. He was originally upset that U.T. had turned down his application. But then when Jason had mentioned how the female population at SFA outnumbered the males, he immediately applied and was accepted. They had been roommates in the dorm that first year, but then Jason and Becky had gotten their apartment and moved in together. Since he wasn't successful in finding a roommate, Roe was still rooming in the dorms. Roe liked to play the field, as it were. So he didn't have a long term girlfriend of his own. 'So many women and so little time.' Jason chuckled.

This was definitely not a conversation to spring on his closest friend over the phone. This was a face to face / in a private place matter. Jason decided that he would somehow muddle through tomorrow, then fly back to Nack. Once he was there, he could corner Roe and see if he had a way out of this dilemma. He started the car and slowly drove back home. Everyone was sleeping and the house darkened when he pulled back into the driveway. Jason crept quietly up the stairs and quickly fell asleep in his old bed.

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

Mrs. Stewart rose early and began fixing breakfast for her family. Ethnically, she was a mix of Caucasian and Creek Indian. But anyone who has lived in Texas for any amount of time usually learns how to cook some of the Tex-Mex cuisine. She decided that she was in the mood to fix Chorizo y Huevos con Queso today. Mrs. Stewart had grown up a native Texan. So about once a week, she would prepare homemade flour tortillas the way that her mother had taught her. She would typically make enough to last for a normal week, so all she had to do today was warm up what was left and put them on the table in a covered dish.

Jessica and Jason both came downstairs for breakfast, nearly together. Over breakfast, Jessica decided to test the waters with her brother. Jessica kept trying to get her brother's attention, but he refused to look her in the eyes. When mom returned to the kitchen, she spoke up, "Jason?"

His sister only called him out by his full name when it was something important. He finally raised his head and looked her direction. "Bro, would you please just forgive me for last night? Please?" Jason just nodded his head and returned to his plate of food.

"You know how we talked about how I latch on to some of the things that you like to do. Well, one of those things happens to be airplanes. I know that after last night, I have no right to ask. But would you please take me up for a flight before you head back to Nack?"

Jason looked intently at his sister. She could read the question in his eyes. "No tricks, I promise. I've never been flying and I am dying to go. Just flying, nothing else. I promise. We'll bring Melanie too and she can be our chaperone."

Jason's mood suddenly brightened once Melanie was mentioned. "Sure, Jess. Right after church, we'll go. I know that Mom and Dad are going to want to get their turn too. I had already made plans to do all of this anyway before I fly back to school." It was only a few minutes later that their dad joined them at the table. Mom finished bringing the food from the kitchen and sat down too. The rest of breakfast was uneventful.

Sunday morning found both families preparing for church services. It would only be a short drive north on Huffmeister Road to St. John Lutheran. The McLaughlins had been Episcopalian before moving to Satsuma. But after being a guest of the Stewarts, they decided that there wasn't too great a difference between the two denominations and became regulars at St. John as well. The McLaughlins owned a Chevy Suburban. It wasn't unusual for the families to trade vehicles from time to time as the need arose. When it became known that Jason was going to give out airplane rides, Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin politely declined saying that they wanted a rain check. But they offered to drive Mr. Stewart's Mercury Grand Marquis home leaving the roomier Suburban for the others.

ɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤɤ

At the airport, Jason hopped out and immediately began his preflight of the Cessna Skylane that he had flown down from Nacogdoches. He let Jessica catch up to him on right side of the engine cowling before he began the procedure. As he went through each step, he carefully made sure that Jessica could observe and learn from what he was doing. He kept up a running dialog going with her as they worked methodically on the task at hand.

Opening the access panel on the upper right side of the engine cowling, he checked the dipstick to verify the oil level. Then he held a cup under the cowl near the nose gear to catch the gasoline as he checked the carburetor sump for water. He examined the propeller blades for nicks and damage. Then he moved to the left side of the fuselage and examined the static port before using the side mounted step to examine the fuel cap on top of the wing. He opened it briefly to visually inspect the fuel level inside of the tank before re-securing it and stepping down.

The vent in the wing root for the rear seat passengers was clean of any debris. He removed the protective cover from the Pitot Tube and inspected it before storing the cover with its "Remove Before Flight" tag in a side pocket near to the Pilot's door. The fuel tank vent was clean. The leading edge of the wing had no damage. The left winglet with its strobe and red marker light were likewise in good order. Lifting the aileron, he examined the fittings and hinges finding them in good order.

The port side flap was next to receive his attention then using the cup, he checked the port fuel tank for water by draining its sump. The baggage door was secure and locked. The left main gear was satisfactory. Moving to the empennage, he carefully examined all of the fittings to the trim tabs, horizontal and vertical stabilizers, elevator, and rudder. Going up the right side of the aircraft he checked the right main gear. Then he returned to the wing checking the sump on the starboard fuel tank, flap, and aileron as he had done previously on the other side. The starboard side winglet with its strobe and green marker light were good. The leading edge of the starboard wing, starboard fuel cap and the right side vent completed his examination of the aircraft.

"Do you think that it will fly?" Jessica asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Maybe...who knows? We might just get lucky and it will get into the air." Jason answered sarcastically. They both laughed. "Hey, did I ever tell you what the definition of a propeller is?"

Melanie had joined them by now. She and Jessica both shook their heads 'no'.

"The propeller is the FAN that keeps the pilot cool! Turn it off and watch him sweat!"

That brought a chuckle from both of the girls as well as Mom and Dad. When Jessica started to climb into the right hand seat, Jason gently grabbed her wrist. "Nuh uh, baby girl. Other side."

"But the pilot sits in the left hand seat," Jessica objected.

"That's correct, sis. And you're going to be our pilot today. You're going to fly us around. I'm only going to bring us in for a landing. You're going to do the rest."

Jessica choked and coughed. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope, not at all. I'm totally serious. I can't sign your log book, but still and all this is going to be your first flying lesson." He reached under the right seat and lifted the locking lever sliding the seat forward to the stops. Then he folded the back of the seat over and gestured for Melanie to enter the back.

Jessica looked over at her best friend as she climbed into the rear seat apparently unconcerned. Melanie had no problems locating her own seat belt and strapping herself in. Jason slid the front seat back into place and then climbed in. Jessica made her way around to the left side of the airplane and climbed in to her seat dubiously. Her father kissed her cheek before shutting the door and speaking through the window.

"You guys have fun. Mom and I will grab a cup of coffee at the FBO while we wait for you to get back." With that said, he took his wife by the hand and led her over to the building that housed 'The Flight School, Inc.'

Jason quickly quizzed Jessie about certain switches and dials on the dashboard. He had already assumed that she had a good working knowledge, but was slightly surprised at how extensive that knowledge already was. He did have to explain the differences in the white and blue arcs on the airspeed indicator as well as the function of the turn/bank indicator. But other than that, she was self taught on almost everything else. She removed the control lock from the yoke and he showed her where to stow it.

She found the check lists stowed in the same pocket and removed them. She located the first check list labeled "Before Engine Start" and began to read it out loud with no prompting from her brother. Her hands moved around the cockpit as if she had been doing this all of her life, and not just for the first time today.

  1. Preflight [Complete]
  2. Fuel Drain Cup [Stowed]
  3. Hobbs Meter [Time Recorded]
  4. Seats [Adjusted and Locked]
  5. Seat Belts/Harness [Adjusted and Locked]
  6. Parking Brake [Set]
  7. Avionics Master Switch [Off]
  8. All Electrical Systems [Off]
  9. Circuit Breakers[All In]
  10. Flaps [Switch placed in Up position]
  11. Fuel Selector [On (Both)]
  12. Cowl Flaps [Full Open]
  13. Trim Tabs [Set (Take Off)]
  14. Beacon Light [On]
  15. Master Switch [On]
  16. Fuel Quantity [Check]

Jessica flipped the card over to the back side and located the next check list. It was titled "ENGINE START (normal)"

  1. Mixture [Rich]
  2. Carburetor Heat [Cold]
  3. Propeller [Full Increase]
  4. Throttle [Set 1/2 Inch]
  5. Prime [2-6 Strokes] {Jason instructed her to use only 2 since the weather was warm}
  6. Propeller Area [Clear] {Jessica leaned out of her window and in a clear, loud voice yelled, "CLEAR PROP!"}
  7. Ignition [To Start]

After the engine caught and began to idle, she released the ignition switch and it rotated back into the "both" position.

  1. Engine Warm-up [1000 RPM]
  2. Avionics Master Switch [On]
  3. Oil Pressure [Green arc within 30 Sec or less]

Jason reached around his seat and handed Melanie a headset which she easily slipped on. He and Jessica also donned their own headsets and spoke to one another to make sure that the intercom was working properly.

"Test your brakes with your toes after you release the parking brake," Jason said to his sister. "You might find them a little sensitive and easily over-brake. Also, you can use either side independently if you need to turn a little tighter, but I bet that you already knew that." Jessica nodded in reply.

Jessica briefly glanced at the "Before Taxi" checklist. But since she was at an uncontrolled airfield, she only checked to be sure that her Primary Radio was selected and the frequency set to 122.8. She pressed her push to talk button on the control yoke and spoke, "Weiser Unicom, Cessna 7 Whiskey Sierra request current winds and altimeter please."

"Winds 080 at five, altimeter two niner niner six, g'day," came the reply.

"7 Whiskey Sierra." Jessica caged her altimeter then pressed her toes forward on the rudder pedals before reaching under the control yoke for the parking brake. Twisting the handle, she released the latch and pushed it all the way in before returning it to the locked position. She reached over with her right hand to the throttle and began to inch it in.

"Well done." was the only comment from her brother. The engine was up to nearly 2000 rpm on the tachometer after she released the brakes before the wheels broke loose from the grass in the parking spot and the plane began to roll forward. Jessica pulled the throttle back to full idle, but her brother reached over and gently inched it forward to keep the engine up to 1000 rpm as they began to taxi. Pushing on the right side rudder pedal, Jessica swung onto the taxiway and began to make her way to runway 9.

When they reached the end of the taxiway, Jason gestured that they should pull over into the run-up area, an area set aside for the final checks before takeoff. Jessica had put the check list in her lap, so she picked it up and turned to "Before Takeoff". She set the parking brake once more, then caged her gyro-compass to match the magnetic compass above the dash. She throttled up the engine to 1700 rpm and used the ignition switch to independently check both her left and right magnetos before returning it to the 'both' setting. She pulled the prop lever full back then replaced it full forward then repeated those actions, cycling the prop twice and checking the rpm change on the tachometer. Before throttling back to idle on the engine, she pointed to each of the engine related gauges acknowledging that they were all in the normal range. She looked over her shoulder out the rear window and pressed each rudder pedal, verifying that there was no interference with the rudder then pulled back and forth on the yoke checking the elevator as well. Twisting the yoke first left then right twice, she visually inspected both of her ailerons the same way. She verified that the Transponder was set to 1200 then switched it from 'standby' to 'alt' for Mode C operation. When she reached over to close and lock her window, Jason did the same with his. Then he spoke over the intercom to her.

"With a Runway 9 departure, we're going to be passing over the neighborhood. So I want you to climb out at 70 knots to get us up above the houses quicker for noise abatement. Once you get on the downwind leg and hit 800 feet, announce a westbound departure and head straight out of the pattern on heading 270."

"Roger that."

Both of the siblings visually checked for incoming aircraft. There had been no other talk over the radio frequency, but that was never a guarantee. Both of them nodded to each other agreeing that the pattern was clear. Jessica keyed her mike again and announced, "Weiser Traffic, Seven Zero Seven Whiskey Sierra taking the active and departing Runway 9, Weiser Air Park." She then released the brakes again and advanced the throttle enough to roll out onto the active runway. As soon as she was lined up on the center-line, she advanced the throttle all the way home smoothly and with authority.

Jessica watched her airspeed climb as they rolled down the runway. Once the needle passed 50 knots, she eased back on the yoke a little and waited for the nose-wheel to lift off of the ground. She didn't change the attitude of the plane after rotation and when it was ready, the Skylane lifted smoothly from the asphalt. They were airborne! 'I just did that!' Jessica thought with excitement. Jason glanced over at his sister and saw a grin that reached all the way to her ears. At 413 feet above the airfield, 600 feet indicated, Jessica banked to the right as instructed by her brother entering a right crosswind leg of the traffic pattern. A moment later she banked right again for the downwind leg. Then she keyed the mike and announced over the 122.8 frequency, "Weiser Air Park traffic, 7 Whiskey Sierra is on the right downwind and will be departing to the west."

"Level off at 1500 feet for now, sis. Do you think that you can recognize Barker-Cypress road from up here?" Jessica responded with a nod. "Throttle back to hold 2400 RPM after you level off. Then after you cross over Barker-Cypress, climb to 3000. That should keep us clear of the TCA. When you level off at 3000, then we will trim everything out. We'll also adjust the prop for 2400 RPM and throttle back to 24 inches on the manifold pressure gauge."

Jason looked over at Melanie and found her with her nose pressed against her window, totally enthralled with the view outside. They spent the next hour sightseeing all over the area south of US Highway 290 past Hockley, and Waller, out as far as Hempstead, while staying north of Farm-Market road 529 and Monaville. They didn't venture far enough south to reach Pattison, Brookshire, or Katy. But those towns were easily seen from their altitude. When they returned to the airfield, Jessica announced a straight in approach on a 3 mile final for runway 9 over the radio. Jason let his sister fly the VASI glide path down to 400 feet before calling "My airplane" over the intercom. Jessica put her hands in her lap and her feet on the floor, giving over total control to her brother. The gentle bump onto the runway was hardly noticeable when Jason touched down.