That Thing Called Fate Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How are you feeling?" Emma finally asked, pulling me away from daydreaming about her pear-shaped beauties.

"Better now," now that she was there that is.

"That's good, you had me worried sick." She said with genuine concern. I looked into her eyes and saw what seemed to be true pain.

"I'm sorry Em, I didn't mean to worry you at all." I replied, matching her concern.

"It wasn't your fault Sean. I'm just so happy you pulled through." She paused to wipe a tear from her cheek. "When you passed out in the car, and then the ER people dragged you out and onto a gurney. Then they told me that you were in emergency surgery, and after I got to finally see you, you were covered in wires and tubes. Then you woke up for a few minutes, and you started rambling incoherently, then passed out again. It was all so much." She said faster and more panicked with each sentence. I had forgot my promise to myself to tell her how I felt, but now was not the time or place I had realized. She needed comfort, not another whole mess of worms to mess with. I held out my arm, as it was really the only thing I could do in my state, but she took it. I thought another hug was what she needed, but she instead placed herself perfectly next to me in the hospital bed. As she cuddled up to me, she nestled her head under my chin. I could feel her shaking, from the memory of the trauma she also went through yesterday. I just laid there embracing her, knowing I would never want to let her go, but would ultimately have to. I told her I was okay once more, and placed a kiss onto her forehead. She looked up at me with those damn blue mesmerizing eyes, but this time we locked our eyes onto one another. There was something in her eyes, some kind of emotion that I couldn't place. I felt like they were begging me to kiss her, kiss her on the lips, and profess my love to her. But as cruel fate would have its way, one of the machines next to my bed started yelling, like an annoying sibling tattling on you. Emma was quickly up and out of my grasp before I could stop her, sitting up and scooting down towards my feet. I was about to say something when the elderly nurse from earlier arrived. At least I think it was her. I couldn't remember when I was, let alone who was around me. She found the source of the beeping, an empty IV bag, replaced it, and did her usual nurse things, and left. I looked over at Emma, who was staring at the floor. She looked embarrassed, and almost as if she was blushing. "I'm sorry," she whispered to me.

"It's okay baby girl," I lightly chuckled. Her gaze shot up, towards me. "What? Did I do something? Am I bleeding?" I asked as I checked my abdomen.

"No! No, you didn't do anything. Just caught off guard by what you called me."

"Baby girl?"

"Yeah. You've only called me that once before."

"Really? When was that?" I racked my brain, but was having a tough time with all the meds in my system.

"The day of 'the incident', after you saved me..." She trailed off.

"You're right. I'm sorry, I can remember not to call you that, if it reminds you of that day."

"NO!" She nearly shouted. "I'm okay when you call me that," then in a near inaudible whisper, "it makes me feel special."

"Well good," I replied with a smile, being able to hear that last part. She looked back to me through her hair, trying to shield her eyes from me. However, they sparkled at me, and made my heart sputter and my brain stutter. "You are so special Emma." Shit! I didn't mean to say that out loud. I half-expected her to get upset and huff out the room,, but instead she flashed that perfect smile of hers. She was about to reply, when a middle-aged female doctor entered the room. It startled us both, as I noticed that we had started to inch closer and closer to one another while we were talking. With the doctor now in the room, Emma had risen to stand by my shoulder.

"Well well now," the doctor started. "It's good to finally see you awake and alert. I am Dr. Hopkins. I was the one who operated on you yesterday." She said, as she extended her hand out to shake mine. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling okay, Just some dull pain in my side is all."

"Well that's good to hear. You will be in pain for the better part of the week, that is if you have no setbacks. I take it, someone has explained what happened to you?" The doctor guessed, turning her attention to Emma. Her eyes grew big, realizing she had never said a word about it yet.

"Yes, my mother told me sometime this morning." I cut back in, before Emma had a mini panic-attack. Emma sighed relief, and placed her hand onto my shoulder, which caused me to reach up and place my hand onto hers. I squeezed the hand, and gave her a big smile, which she returned in kind.

"Ahh good," The doctor responded, which pulled as apart from our smile party. "Well looking at your charts, everything seems to look in tip top shape. Plus you seem to be alert and functioning well. I see no reason you can't go home today."

"Seriously?" I said, shocked.

"Were you planning on staying with us for awhile?"

"Well, yeah. Isn't kidney a serious surgery for the body?"

"Kidney surgery is very serious, if it is taken out whole." She began. "However in your case, the kidney had ruptured. It had no more use to anyone, so we only made three holes in your side for the equipment, and pulled it out and there you go. Plus your kidney was the size of a football, so that would be way too big of a hole to cut on you."

"Wow," my sister chimed in.

"Wow indeed," the doctor replied. She then pulled out a pager from her white lab coat. "Well, unless you have any other questions, I will get your discharge papers going." Now turning to Emma. "I take it you will be the one taking him home?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Fantastic," she chortled. She went to leave the room, but before exiting, she turned her head back to me. "One last thing."

"Yes doctor?" I asked.

"Hold onto that one," pointing at Emma. "I've never seen someone so concerned and caring of a significant other as her." She winked, then was gone. I looked up at Emma, who was turning a shade of bright red. I didn't say it out loud, but in my head I replied.

"I'll do my best."

----

After the doctor's visit, Emma was noticeably quieter. I started to worry that the last comment had upset her. Upset at the thought of me as a significant other. Upset that someone would think that she was dating me.

We sat and watched TV in mostly silence. She dragged the chair next to my bed, which I thought she did to see the TV better. But when I placed my hand near the edge of the bed, she placed hers on top of mine and gave me a reassuring squeeze. We sat and waited for almost three hours before a new nurse popped her head in to let us know we could leave.

The nurse handed me the release forms, some prescription papers for pain meds, and a list of strict rules to follow until my follow up in two weeks.

1. No strenuous activity

2. No stairs

3. Stick to the medication regimen religiously

4. Cover wound area with wrap when bathing

5. Plenty of rest

With that, Emma wheeled me down to the car I had passed out in yesterday. It was weird being outside and out of the ultra-clean atmosphere of the hospital. It might have only been a little of a day and a half, but it had felt like I was out cold for a week or two.

The car ride home was peaceful and quiet. Emma didn't seem upset anymore, but instead now, just lost in thought. I wanted to talked about what the doctor had said, or what was bothering her, but my fear of upsetting her further kept my lips sealed. We picked up the few things of medication I was to take for the next couple weeks, and made our way home. When we did arrive home, I felt so much better. It's home, the place we are supposed to feel safe and better in. I stepped out of the car and just took in the cool fall breeze, mixed with the smell of burning leaves, and it cleared my head even more of the sedatives that were slowly draining out of my body.

With Emma right by my side, we made the treacherous journey of 20 feet from the car to the front door. It turned out to be a good idea, having Emma there, as I almost fell twice, with my weak baby-like legs. Each time she caught me, and helped steady my wobbly body. I looked down at her each time and she always had a smile waiting for me. After our "journey", we finally made our way through the front door. Home sweet home.

"What would you like to do first big brother?" Emma asked sweetly. I thought for a moment, as I looked around the house. The house's entrance lead to four different places. On the left was the hallway to the kitchen, to the right of that hallway was a door that led to our "activity" room, which in turn led to my bedroom. It was nice and quiet down there, and I had my own bathroom to myself, which gave me plenty of privacy if you know what I mean. To the right of "my" door was the living room. It was typical, with couch, recliner, love seat, and big screen TV. And finally left the hallway to the other bedrooms and bathrooms in the house. Emma's room was all the way down and to the right, and across from it, was our parent's room. The other two doors led to a spare bedroom, and the bathroom Emma had all to herself, since our parents had their own in their room.

"I guess I will just go relax in my room and leave you alone." I replied.

"Well for one, you aren't a bother to me at all, as I volunteered to take care of you. And second, you can't go to your room silly-head." She snickered. It took me a moment to think why me being in my room was not possible. Then it dawned on me.

"Oh yeah, can't use stairs for a bit. Guess the couch will be my domain for the next few weeks," I lamented, as I sauntered over to the old lumpy couch.

"If you want, you can use my bed." Emma almost whispered. I turned to look at her. I studied her face for a moment and had to think for a moment. She was blushing softly, but from what? I had no clue. Was it from her offer, which I couldn't find cause from. Or it was just that I was looking at her again which was even farther off base. I was missing something that was right in front of my face, but just shrugged it off.

"I can't do that to you sis. I'm already a mess, so I don't need this bed messing up my caretaker," I joked. Emma giggled as I plopped down on said couch. Yep, lumpy.

"If you're sure, I can still get you your pillow and blanket. Need anything else down there?" I had to think for a second.

"Yeah, my phone. I have no clue where it is."

"Oh, I put it in your room when I got home yesterday. You left it on the kitchen counter when your pain kicked in."

"Well thank you nurse."

"Your welcome mental patient." She shot back, with a tongue out. Before I could quip back, she was gone, down the stairs. Usually anyone but me was banned from being in my room. It was my private domain, but I guess all things considering, it was okay for her to be down there without me. It wasn't like I had a secret shrine of her hair or panties down there. But yes a time or two or anytime I masturbated down there, it was with images of Emma in my mind, since nothing else made me feel that way.

When Emma returned up the stairs, her mood had swung a 180. Her smile was gone and replaced by a horribly hidden disgust. She handed my things and turned to leave.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Hoping she didn't find something down there.

"Nothing," she grumbled with a voice of ice. She realized how she sounded and added in an apologetic tone. "If you don't need anything else for a few minutes, I'm going to take a shower." I sat there, thought, then shook my head. Emma power-walked out, leaving me to wonder what just happened to her. I looked over and saw my phone sitting on my pillow. I unlocked the screen and found my answer.

Before we continue, we need to talk about the only other girl in my life that I have had some kind of care for. Roxanne, or "Roxxy" to her friends, is my "ex-girlfriend". Sometime last year, I had decided to suppress any feelings I had for Emma and try to date someone the world would accept. Roxxy was the first, second, fourth, and sixth girl to ask me out (I was the popular jock, what can I say), so I finally accepted, hoping she could cure me of this love for my sister. Now don't get me wrong, Roxxy was downright the sexiest girl in our high school, with her platinum blonde hair, a full butt, and the perfect pair of tits any teenager has had the honor of touching. But at the end of the day, she wasn't Emma. She couldn't make me laugh like Emma. She couldn't get me, like Emma always did. And I didn't love her anywhere close to how much I loved Emma. The "romance" soon sizzled, then we went our separate ways. We remained friendly, even though she started dating my best friend Tyler, which I suspected was just a way to make me jealous. When that didn't work, they broke up as well.

On my screen showed a message from Roxxy, and I instantly knew that Emma had seen it, causing her sour mood. The other thing about Roxxy, was that Emma seemed to loathe her. She would never tell me exactly why, but she always rolled her eyes, at the mere mention of Roxxy. Emma would "lovingly" refer to her as "Blonde Bimbo" or "Boobzilla". I would always have to play peacekeeper, and tell Emma to be nice.

Roxxy's message had been sent about 3 hours ago and read "Hey! R U OK? I just heard." I sent a quick reply of "Yeah, just got home from the hospital." Almost as if she was waiting and staring at her screen, a reply popped up quickly.

R: OMG! Wat happened?!

S: Woke up in an ice bath in a Mexican Motel. Kidney was stolen, LOL

R: B serious goof!!

S: Dead serious

R: ...

S: Kidney ruptured, pulled the sucker out before it killed me.

R: OMG R U OK?

S: Yeah, on the couch recovering.

R: UR home now? They sent U home after that?!

S: Yup, ran out of room, drew straws and I lost.

R: I said B serious goof. I was so worried when I heard.

(I thought it was quite cute that she still cared after everything)

S: Who told you?

R: Tyler did

S: Well, how did he know? I just got back to my phone just now.

R: Krista I guess

(Krista was Tyler's little sister, who was also in the same grade as Emma, so that made an easy assumption."

R: How R U feeling?

S: Very sore, give me a sec, going to see if it is med time.

R: K

I gingerly arose from my temporary bed, and thought for a brief second that I would take up Emma's offer, but decided not. By the time I got to the hallway, I had to prop myself up against the wall, to catch my breath. I was huffing and puffing, when all of a sudden the bathroom door opened, with steam piling out. What followed it took my breath away, almost completely. Emma, only wearing a towel around her hair, stepped out into the hallway without hesitation. She walked towards her room, away from me, and time seemed to stand still. I drank in the sight of Emma's fully nude backside. Her body glistened, from still being wet from her shower. From her strong legs, from playing volleyball all high school, to her ample bottom, that was as glorious as I had ever imagined. Then from her perfectly arching back to the tiny glimpses of her breasts as she strode. Emma would of never known I was standing there, about to have a heart attack, until my brain took a dump. A small "uh" escaped my lips, and Emma stopped at her door. She looked over her shoulder, to see what seemed to be her "pervy" older brother standing there staring at her naked form. She shrieked, swung her door open and slammed it close quickly behind her. I couldn't move for a minute, as my brain tried to imprint the image of Emma's ass in my brain forever. I slowly turned, and returned to the couch, as my head was spinning, probably from lack of oxygen. As you would guess, the event I just witnessed had a particular effect on my nether region. I quickly covered up my erection with my blanket, and just sat there, not knowing what to do.

After a few minutes, I heard Emma's door open and close again. I looked towards the hallway and not too long after Emma's head peeked past the corner. I sat there, trying to feel out if she was angry or not. She slowly inched her way into the living room, now fully clothed of course. I had to break the awkward ice first.

"Emma, I..." She cut me off.

"It's okay Sean. It was my fault." I tried to interrupt her, and take the blame, but she held up a hand to stop me. "I just thought you would be on the couch still. I was wrong, and that's what I get for assuming." She finally looked up and locked eyes with me. She instantly turned red and looked away again. I felt so bad embarrassing her to the point she couldn't look at her brother. I stood up, boner-less now thankfully, and limped over to her and gave her a big brotherly hug.

"How about we just share the blame?" I asked her. She looked up at me, with a rush of relief running over her face. She smiled at me, and shook her head.

"So did you need something? Or were you there trying to peep on me?" She teased. Her little barb actually took me off guard for a second. I had to think back to the reason I was there catching her naked form. Then it hit me, or in this case it stabbed me. I sharp pain hit me in the side reminding me to the fact that it might be time for some meds. But my smart mouth got in the way.

"Just peeping on you." I told her jokingly. She shook her head, and patted me in the back. The pain was now searing and Emma must of seen it on my face.

"Oh my god! Sean! I'm so sorry. I forgot." She took my arm and put it around her shoulders. She led me back to the couch, as I breathed heavily trying to not pass out from the immense pain.

"It's okay, I'm fine." I lied. "I was at the hallway earlier, seeing if it was time for pain meds. Now I know its time." I tried to laugh but ended up nearly coughing out a lung.

"YES! Just lay down, and I'll get it. Sean I'm so sorry." Emma said, rushing off to the kitchen. She soon returned with water and the pills. I quickly took them and sighed a bit of relief. I closed my eyes for a second, to catch my breath. When I opened them again, Emma was standing there almost in tears. I sat up and took her hand. I pulled her down next to me and just held her.

"Emma, it's okay. You didn't break me." I hugged her tight.

"But..." She started very low, almost in a whisper. "...I promised to take care of you, if the event came up." Images of "The Incident" flashed through my head. She had apparently been trying to repay the favor, so to speak, on me saving her from drowning. I hugged her tighter now, as my heart fell more in love with her.

"Emma, you do take care of me," I spoke softly, through veiled words. "You help me in more ways than you could ever imagine."

"Really?" She asked through tears, that I could feel dampening my shirt already.

"Of course," I replied, trying to calm her down.

"How?" I panicked for a second and just tried to think of things that didn't involve my creepy love for her.

"Well for one, you stayed almost a whole day with me in the hospital, even though I wasn't conscious." Emma pulled her eyes away from my shirt and looked up at me with a semi-smile. "You gave up your perfect attendance for me." She smiled fully now.

"What else?" She teased.

"Well you gave me those pain meds and this hug, which seem to be helping already."

"Really?" I nodded, and she softly but whole-heartedly gave me another hug. She wiped the tears out of her eye, and stood up again. "I guess I should get some dinner ready for us."

"Us? What about mom and dad?" I asked.

"I guess in all the hooplah you forgot about the corporate retreat this weekend. They are leaving right after they get home tonight." I had forgotten. Our parents were both travel agents, and once a year would go on a 4 day retreat with other agents in the region.