All Comments on 'The 1951 Dodge Business Coupe'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 89 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy6 months ago

Wonderful story!

5

PurplefizzPurplefizz6 months ago

Excellent story, never any doubt it’d be anything other than a 5⭐️ from me, it also brought back fond memories of clambering around muddy scrapyards looking for parts for my first car for exactly the same reasons Ricky does in this story. Many thanks for both writing and posting, regards, Ppfzz.

tellmeagoodstorytellmeagoodstory6 months ago

Another great story

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirens6 months ago

Great story! Five stars all the way! Thanks for sharing.

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweed6 months ago

Very good story! Thanks for the story and more so for your service.

musicman1261musicman12616 months ago

Fantastic story!!

R410aR410a6 months ago

Like you I am a veteran having served in Nam. Like Otis I seldom if ever talk about those days, it took too many years to get past them. When my grandkids say, "Papa, tell us about when you were in Vietnam", I simply mutter, "There's nothing good to say." Thankfully they love me and leave it at that.

You mentioned the '51 Dodge, I had a '41 Plymouth that was held together and ran because of parts form a junk yard similar to what you described. It too was run by an old man no one seemed to want to know.

In closing I want to thank you for a romance story that wasn't sex from beginning to end with a little background thrown in for good measure. I have never given a story 5 stars, that changed today.

I'm assuming you're getting close, if not already into, the senior years. Grow old with grace sir and don't stop squeezing mama's butt. They giggle and slap our hand, but they still like it.

Thank you for your service. Have a great Vets Day.

Ravey19Ravey196 months ago

Brilliant, well conceived and written.

Cracker270Cracker2706 months ago

You cut the X again. I did not serve, both my daughters and grandson did. I am a proud man and I thank you for making that proud a little more enjoyable today

Ravenwolf13Ravenwolf136 months ago

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. But at the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

This is how our veterans association in South Africa, the Memorable Order of the Tin Hats (M. O. T. H) remember our fallen brethren.

Thank you for a great story.

AmbisinisterAmbisinister6 months ago

The epilogue took this story from 4, to 5 stars

WindySwimmingWindySwimming6 months ago
Outstanding!

Vetnam Veteran, Combat Action Ribbon, Annapolis Class of '71. The real heroes of war are the ones that don't return home, but also are others that remain humble about their heroic action during combat. Honor to those who have served orn are currently serving. Ronde captures the spirit of heroic veterans past, present and future.

Mega kudos and five stars.

WS

nyc1975nyc19756 months ago

Thank you. It's unusual for me but I'm at a loss for words. I am a Vietnam vet, and I commanded an infantry company in the 25th Infantry Division. It was two years after Tet '68. The 25th base camp was in Cu Chi not Chu Lai, which was the location of the Americal Division (later redesignated as 23rd I.D.).

A couple weeks ago, I spent some time with my "Amos." A sergeant who, if not for his actions on a particular day, a very bad situation would have been a disaster. His best friend in the unit is at rest since that day. A CIB and Silver Star adorn his headstone. There are three other names from that day etched on a black granite wall. My Amos and I sat into the late night with some fine bourbon talking over events of 53 years ago. He later thanked me for being the only person he could open up to. On the other hand I can never thank him enough for what he did. The Silver Star he too received barely moves the thanks needle.

Veterans Day is never just another day for those who served.

On a lighter note, a friend of mine in high school had a '49 Plymouth business coupe. man. did we have a lot of adventures in that car.

acupacup6 months ago

A poignant story that every young 'protester' should read. I was only in an auxiliary in my youth, but it gave me the profound gratitude for those that could do what I could not. I recently found a decal for my vehicle that says it all.

'Those that protest the flag, have never been handed a folded one.'

How many of today's youth even understand the significance of a folded flag?

CastAdriftCastAdrift6 months ago

Another amazing, loving story - in so many ways.

The descriptions of repairiing cars brought back a lot of memories. I wasn't called in the draft lottery, so didn't have to go to the jungle. I appreciate the sacrifices of our veterans and your homage to them. It's sad that our young people are often called to fight for foolish wars and vanity, but I appreciate and honor them nonetheless.

Thanks for the story.

Bigbandguy62Bigbandguy626 months ago

Another winner! Some people will object and they have that right to do so. Funny how they forget who payed the price to be able to do so.

I appreciate the MC earning his way forward through life, and how he met and cared for a special one. How important family and relatives are in our lives.

Thank you for your tales and for your giving of service for us. My loved ones have all been blessed to come home. They know how it feels to serve and to hurt for others not so blessed.

TwarboneTwarbone6 months ago

Amen brother as a fellow vet (Navy) thank you for your service as well. Great story. I could see my Grandpa's WWII and my dad Nam era in your story.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wow Ronde! What an exceptional story! Your epilogue was heart felt. I agree with your feelings about Veterans Day. 5* and thank you to all who have served and given so much. USAF active duty from ‘79 - ‘83.

kk

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wonderful story. Thanks for the memories.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Thanks for writing such a great story. To all the VETERANS who read this story have a great VETERAN’S DAY!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I enjoyed this story. Although I did not serve overseas, I am an Air Force veteran....right at the end of the Vietnam era.....and if you will excuse the language, I am DAMN proud to be a veteran.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Brilliant! Simply Brilliant!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Caldwel2Caldwel26 months ago

Great story. Thank you for your service.

MaximillianMeenMaximillianMeen6 months ago

Your story took me way back to my days hitting the boneyards with my toolbox to extract parts from the junkers--as well as the hazards of driving and maintaining what I could afford to buy. A manual pull switch substituted for the broken reverse light switch on the steering column of my '71 Ford F100 (fooled a local cop with good timing between shifting into reverse and pulling the switch when he pulled me over). One trip to a local yard was for a replacement steering wheel when the original came apart in my hands while driving my $50 '66 Dodge Coronet. Much to my chagrin, I never encountered a babe like Judy in my adventures. The only one close was a women in the Buick Parts Department that used the factory touch-up paint bottles to do her nails. The "cherry on the top" was your afterword about the evolution of Armistice Day into Veterans Day--a welcome reminder of the unknown (and purposely unsung) heroes in our midst. Thanks again for the trip in the "wayback machine", as well as the pause to think and remember.

AileyInnAileyInn6 months ago

Outstanding story. Great Epilogue. Thank you!

t8ntliklyt8ntlikly6 months ago

There are several writers posting to Literotica, that have a place on My Favorites. In the Romance section there are the likes of WillDevo, Notalenthack, to name just a couple. You sir are also on that list. While I've always enjoyed your stories, this one is IMO one of your best works. I served in the National Guard during the Vietnam era, and am not considered a veteran. There is a ceremony in the town of Anthem AZ, that everyone should have the honor of seeing. Trying to tell about here would be doing it a disservice. I urge you and all that read this to look up the Veterans Day celebration in Anthem AZ. All I can say is it absolutely outstanding

bigbob2406bigbob24066 months ago

Wonderful story !! Thank you very much.

AmberSolisAmberSolis6 months ago

You know that it is customary to administer anesthetic to a patient before doing open-heart surgery, right? Because this was another incredible shot straight to the heart! Your characters, their development, the way you tell a story, it's freaking awesome!

des911des9116 months ago

Superb, as usual. I always learn things from your stories as well as enjoying the characters, the drama and your excellent writing.

Thank you, again.

Bebop3Bebop36 months ago

An excellent story. Thank you for sharing it and thank you for serving.

teedeedubteedeedub6 months ago

Wow. Quite a story. Quite a finish. Maybe your best. I, too, thank all veterans for their service.

DrStingDrSting6 months ago

Great story. I am also a Vietnam vet (USN). It seems common place now for people to say "thank you for your service." I never feel like I deserve their thanks, so I just nod my head. Thank you for writing this and all of your stories.

BlueFox007BlueFox0076 months ago

Thank you ronde for a wonderful tale, and so right in the depiction of the reluctant soldier who doesn’t want to call attention to himself for his service or his injury. I served in the army medical corps the last two years of the Viet Nam war in a 1500 bed hospital filled with injured soldiers. I was going home to visit when my commanding officer told me not to take my uniform with me. “It’s not safe. Too many soldiers are being spit on and assaulted, it’s better you just leave your things here.” Virtually no one I trained and worked with the next 50 years knows I served, but I always fly old glory on Veterans Day. Thank you for the memories. Five stars.

pepepilotpepepilot6 months ago

From one veteran to another, I thank you for the honesty of the story, and as well as the lessons many of us learned, but seldom talk about. Thank you for your service, the service of every other veteran, and for our brothers that never made it home!

BTW, 5 stars as that is all that is available!

lAnatomistelAnatomiste6 months ago

Damn Fine Story.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wow. What can I say. Friends father-in-law was drafted by Mussolini but ended the last two years as part of the US 5th army. He was wounded at Anzio but healed and fought till the surrender. War is shit.

I understand that he rarely talked about it but was still alive at the 2016 election. That opened the floodgates for him. His broken english/Italian... not again. He hated that Italian dictator that did not feel he should obey any law. I understand that he lost most of his unit and half of his hometown.

War is shit.

DquiotiDquioti6 months ago

Thank you for a great and touching story.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Thanks again for a wonderful story!

I'm an Army veteran too. Cold War, two tours in Germany. Per John Milton, "They also serve who only stand and wait."

BRAVE RIFLES

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I know this is trite as hell, but thank you for your service. And thank you for shining a light on all those quiet men who don't want to talk about it, I think you did an excellent job. Lovely story too.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Well done sir. Very well done! I must confess that I am not a vet, but I have come to honor the men that were, especially my dad who was a B-17 crewman in wW2, my uncle who served in the South Pacific and the men I knew later who served in Vietnam. You speak for all of them in your story, except I think that a squeeze on your lady’s backside would not have been so public ally described LOL. Thanks again and well written. :-)

andysboyandysboy6 months ago

Loved the story, much like mine, however, I was lucky, no Nam, service in Europe and States, then home to a new life and new wife.

muskyboymuskyboy6 months ago

As a Navy veteran, thank you for incorporating all of us in your wonderful story. Have a wonderful Veterans Day! Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

This is a great story. As I finished it I had tears running down my cheeks. The characters might be fictional, but they just reflect what life is like in this great country. It brings back many memories of friends and family who served our country.

T8NTLIKELY You are a veteran!!

I served 12 years in the USAR and like you I never thought of myself as a veteran until one day when our church was honoring the veteran's and I didn't stand up. A veteran saw me and told me I was as much a veteran as him. I had made the commitment to the country, I had trained, and I was there when the need arose. The last several times our country has gone into combat the National Guard and Reserves have been the bulk of the troops sent.

I have taken the oath 4 times in my life. 1972 when I joined, twice more when I reenlisted. And in 2020 for our census. It does not expire.

Grayhairedfox

Tx_razor_55Tx_razor_556 months ago

Thank you for a great story and reminder of what our Veterans have done for this nation. I salute you Sir

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Excellent story......I had a 1951 Plymouth business coupe....no rear seat lots of room for storage......never served always wanted to.....to young for Korea to old for Vietnam.... Blind in one eye.. Not accepted in the 60s....

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Great story, I’m a vet and spent a lot of my younger years in the “junk yards” scrounging parts. Really hit home for me.

WantingToWriteGoodWantingToWriteGood6 months ago

Very well written. Excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Great story. Fellow veteran, here, too. I spent my time with the 1st Infantry Division (The Big Red One). Over 43 years later, I still remember the Division’s motto - “No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice Too Great, Duty First.”

JT

OvercriticalOvercritical6 months ago

This story tells about a world and a group of people that still exist, but don't get the credit they deserve. The final epilogue and the view of the world we live in had me all choked up and angry at the same time. No doubt most of the Gen Z and other woke people of today have no idea what it means to be in uniform and be willing and able to step up and serve their country. Once you do that you can't watch the people disrespecting the flag without anger and long for the time when we pledged allegiance to the flag every day in school and took time to learn about our great country and the traditions that were once automatic and now are considered anachronisms.

I served in the Army, entering through ROTC and somehow managed to fit between all the big and little wars that happened since WWII. I never fired a shot in anger in combat. I have no medals and no honors, but deep inside I am truly honored to have done my little bit to preserve our traditions and maintain this country and its values. Here's hoping that somehow the youth of today and tomorrow will help preserve them. 5* for a good story and a great lesson.

Crusader235Crusader2356 months ago

I love when the writer throws me a curve ball or two in their story. Here I was reading about a young man was fixing up his old car, next thing he's is in ChuLai during Tet '68. Boom I'm right back at DaNang the exact same time. Thankfully I came home mostly unscathed, and met then married my wife of 50 plus years. I'm glad many of my friends from all the services are still with us so we can honor all those that have passed on, and say Thank you Veterans.

I get to celebrate my second birthday every November 10th, then veterans day on the 11th. Semper Fidelis to all Y'all.

Hand Salute.....too!

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc6 months ago

As a veteran myself, thank you for the beautiful tribute. As any veteran will tell you, we could never have done it without the support of our family and the Judy's and Betty's that supported. Sweetheart - Thank you for your service as I defended our country. 5.0*

J6480J64806 months ago

Once a soldier, always a soldier. All us vets from whichever country, branch or team appreciate the words, sentiments and support. Thanks for your service and stay well

afosi2604afosi26046 months ago

Thank you for this story. I am a retired special agent with the Air Force Office of Special Investigation. While I was never in a war zone, I remember the sacrifices others made during my carer. I retired 2 days before Irag took Kuwait, so I missed most of the recent armed conflicts. Many friends went to war, and their stories deserve to be heard as well. Thank you for making this story known. 5^

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Best line: "I have to go tell Mama". A simple thing that tells so much about a living relationship. Now for the trip down memory lane: first car, 1950 Plymouth Deluxe, four door, cloth bench seats, flat head six cylinder, oil bath air cleaner, vacuum windshield wipers. Spent lots of time under the hood and chassis. Some good times in the big wide back seat with girlfriend. Air Force, avionics, tech school at Kessler in Biloxi, right after Hurricane Camille.

Thoroughly entertaining, well crafted story. Understated characters and dialogue throughout made it powerful. 5 star.

May you all have a peaceful quiet remembrance of your military service this Saturday. For me, it becomes more important with the passage of time.

sdoc9612sdoc96126 months ago

Thank you for your service.

goatman96goatman966 months ago

Excellent writing and story without the military aspect but with it the story really becomes alive. I am one of those citizen soldiers who time and time again answered their country's call to arms. It was not fun but it was exciting (in the precise meaning of that word) and as I age it greatly affected my health. But that is the cost of serving our country when asked.

I spent two years fighting the Cold War in Germany and a year fighting the hot, but ridiculous war in South Viet Nam. Definitely not a hero. It is what it was. Far too many brothers never lived past their youth and even more experienced such hell they have lived a life of misery with little support from their country until recently.

Three days ago I stood along side the main street of my smallish city just around the corner from my house and watch the Veterans Day parade which was for some reason held a week before Veterans Day. People thanked me for my service but in reality if they knew what I and my brothers went through, the conditions we lived in, always knowing that death could come at any time, the terrible weather, the tropical diseases and parasites, etc, they would do more than just say a casual thank you which for the most part is meaningless.

At the start of the story the main subject worked on a farm for $1.50 an hour. When I was in high school in the late 1950's and early 1960's I worked for a farmer in northern Vermont a mile or three from the Canadian border. I was a hay hand and worked in the dusty and stifling hay loft stacking bales. That was honest work for a buck an hour. Would have loved to get $1.50 an hour. One learns the meaning of hard work and develops self discipline which is so lacking in our society today.

Keep up your excellent writing. You are one of the very best on this site.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wow…

Dad was 25th ID, Cu Chi, 2 Purple Hearts. His older brother was USMC recon, 5 Purple Hearts. I was a Bosnian conflict SeaBee, own and wrench on a 49 Dodge truck.

Today is the Veterans Day program at work. I’m going to skip it, as usual. They hold it in a tiny chapel, with 1 door, officers (me) and inmates that served outnumbered by those that did not. Not my trip, pass me some coffee and put me on the perimeter.

One of my favorite Literotica authors, just made the top of my list. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Very good and accurate concerning those of us who don't care to talk about it. Double tour in Nam, 67 & 68. Came home with 2 purple hearts and scars in my belly where the bullets went through. The only place my medals and awards are displayed are in my home office. Very few outside my family know that I served. We were young, solid as rocks and willing to serve. For that we were spit on and called baby killers when we finally made it back, treated like second class citizens and dogs. It's sad that it's taken 50 years for anyone to say thanks. Do I sound bitter? I suppose that I do, am I apologetic? Nah. Two of my brothers died in Vietnam, one during Tet, the other in '69, it just took thirty-two years to finally kill him.

Every year on Memorial Day I receive a message from the man I helped get to safety the day we were wounded. It's always the same, "Thank God our names are not on the wall."

To those who have served, Thanks. To those who protested, shame on you.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Ronde,

With each story you write our knowledge base grows. You are by far the most well rounded and diverse writer on this site. Thank you for each and every work you have submitted

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo6 months ago

Not what I would have expected from the title if I had expected anything, but far beyond, I think, with a meaning and import transcending all but the tiniest fraction of Literotica stories. I served in Viet Nam '67-'68, 1st Division as an Infantrymaan first then with the 1st Aviation Brigade as a helicopter door gunner and Amos's and Ricky's stories resonate, as does your epilogue. Especially so with your mention of the draft ending Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as Veterans Day parades and ceremonies getting smaller and smaller. That underscores a major festering problem in our country that seriously needs fixing.

I could write whole chapters on this but will keep this short. I was pretty embittered over the way we eere treated when I got out in 1970, and when ending the draft was being debated and finally passed I was 100% in favor of that. But now 50 years later having seen the effects of that and what our service men and women have endured as a result I have done a complete one eighty and now think that was one of our biggest mistakes.

What that has done has eliminated the personal understanding of the vast majority of our populatiom not only of what our service people experience and endure, but has even eroded the expectation of a sense of duty to our nation and countrymen, so that the general population doesn't understand much less identify with our military people as we once did. Further, and more importantly to those who do and have served since, it has resulted in the serious downsizing of our military without the ready means of swiftly reinforcing our forces when the need arisis, resulting in the overuse of those who do serve in multiple deployments exhausting and burning them out in not just overuse but abuse to the point in some cases practically of criminalty!

It will result in some major upheavel in our nation to do so, but for both our nation's sake and for the sake of our men wnd women who do serve, the draft needs to be reinstated actively.

Thank you and God bless you ronde for your service whether you were ever in combat or not. If not, it was just the luck of the draw. When you took your oath you accepted the very real possibility that you might not survive to be discharged and return to civilian life, but whatever happened, you took on the responsibility of the duty that so many did not of defending our nation to insure the future of all as free men and women and as mothers and fathers to raise their children in hope and freedom. Happy Veterans Day to you and to all our Veterans.

TrionyxTrionyx6 months ago

Agree with ambisinister above.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

No wonder the rating is sky high.

I can't imagine any rating but 5. It is at least 999 of 1000.

It is more than a love story, t is the story of what has bade America a great nation.

I find a similar basis of greatness where I currently live and work - Australia.

The Hoary Cleric

ArkSoutherngentArkSoutherngent6 months ago

Thank you, for honoring our Veterans.

After my dad passed away, I found out he was awarded 2 Bronze Stars for his actions in the mountains of Italy during WWII. He never talked about WWII, he did talk a little about Korea.

Always looking forward to your next one.

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo6 months ago

Google and listen to Sailor Jerri sing "Hallelujah -The Veteran's Version," her tribute. She he4self is a Veteran. It has become my own personal Veteran's Day Anthem,

Hollarak

VETERANS VERSION

You packed your bags and shut the door

You crossed the sea to fight a war

You didn't know just what would happen to ya?

Stepped in the dirt, boots on the ground

And gunfire was the only sound

And to yourself you whispered Hallelujah

Hallelujah tallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Everyday and Every night

You walk the walk you fight the fight

You never saw the end in sight now did ya?

The days awash in a haze of red

The blood, the mud, too many dead

Your weary soul was crying, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Too late to help, you hear a shot

You know you're in a deadly spot

You never thought this day would come now did ya?

Your brother falls down to the ground

The enemy is all around

From your Iips you scream a Hallelyjah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah

You fought the fight till it was done

You have the strength to carry on,

You thought it'd be much better back home did ya?

You try each day, keep pushing through

But the battie lives inside of you

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Htallelujah Hallelujah, Hallelujah, tallelujakr

Lyrics are protected by Copyright ~ Please credit if sung - Sailor JerriMusic.com

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wonderful story, but great that it is grounded (so to speak) in reality. I'm an Aussie, but one of my best mates is a Viet Nam Vet & I agree they were treated shamefully when they returned home. Here in Aus too I believe the sacrifices of our forbears have been too quickly forgotten. My parents both served in the RAAF (Air Force) in WW2, my dad in the UK doing anti-submarine patrols over the Atlantic. Thankfully I was just a little young to go to Viet Nam, but as mentioned I knew many who did, and worked with some too from there and WW2 & Korea. I believe we should have compulsory Military Service for anyone turning 18 for 1 or 2 years - that would train them & give us a ready backup for our regular forces if ever needed - just look at Switzerland for an example.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Great story. Thank you, from a Viet Nam vet with 2 Purple Hearts, an Army Commendation Medal and a Bronze Star. I don't like to talk about it either.

DwarfLord50DwarfLord506 months ago

I absolutely loved this story. Well written with a strong message. Every year, I take a day out from our normal curriculum in my classroom and talk to my kids about Veterans’ Day. Why it is always celebrated on Nov. 11th., the difference between it and Memorial Day, the branches of our military, why some Americans volunteer, and the benefits like a possible career after their service. When I ask my classes who has a family member serving or who has served, and those who served but have passed on, about 90% raise their hands. I don’t know how many actually take my advice and visit or call a veteran, but I’ve had some pretty rough kids sit up and pay attention during this talk. When someone takes the time to explain it to them, it has real meaning. Thanks for a great story!

RK52RK526 months ago

Good story with a great ending. I, like many others, entered during Vietnam but didn’t serve in country.

I spent 24 years in the military doing things that many others may not have wanted to do. I retired and went on doing things for the government for another 24 years.

We didn’t talk about it but knew what we were doing was critically important. To each and every veteran I thank them for their service, being part of that “One Percent” who answered the call and served their country.

As said, this is not a day off but a day of memory for what we did, and for each of us to thank and be thanked for serving our country.

A little “preachy but a good reminder. You did a nice story that serves as that reminder. Thank you for your service and for reminding us all.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

As I get older, Veteran's Day means a bit more to me.

I recall those who I served with.

As for my own time, I'm always a bit embarrassed when folks thank me for my service.

It's not because I'm not proud, rather it's because I know many had it a lot harder.

I'm no hero, no one ever shot at me.

A nearby small town dealer just sold a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer coupe. A bit of an odd looking thing with the small cabin with the huge trunk in back. Nice to see a few still around.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I did 3 deployments to Viet Nam. Your story brought a tear to my eye!

C.B.H USNavy (RET)

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

My schoolteacher in 1967 rode a motorcycle to school, unless it was raining - and then he drove his fathers 1949 Plymouth. I've had a soft spot for those ever since, along with 1950 models, and the DODGE companions.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Excellent, absolutely believable tale. As the daughter of two WW2 vets, I thank you.

dgfergiedgfergie5 months ago

Quite a story and tastefully done. Those were simpler times and better times even if there were wars. People treasured and appreciated what they had. Now it seems all we have is a throw away society and everting is made in China, Japan,Vietnam and Sri Lanka. Morals and church going have reached lows never scene before. Our society is failing and our money is worth less. I couldn't even afford to buy any of the three houses I own. Two of them house a son, daughter and grand daughter, the third I live in. I'm fortunate to have pensions in my retirement but the number of homeless is disheartening and our elected official's are mostly responsible. 5 stars plus+++

msocaltimemsocaltime5 months ago

This is a wonderfully written story, appriciate the Veterans connections. USMC 82-90, Semper Fi...

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Thank you for this story and the wonderful tribute to veterans. As a Vietnam Veteran I can really relate to the feelings you so accurately described.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

so so sincerely grateful i stumbled across ur stories sometime ago try 2 pace my way thru them happy there r so many n hope u keep writing this story seems 2 me 2b in a class of its own 5* cant even begin 2 to reflect its value as with some others enjoy ur style way u use words 2 express reveal n eventually portray ur envisioned tale esp grateful ur language is so clean awed by ur imagination but also ur restraint

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Great read!

Many a Veteran feel exactly like the characters you write of.

At the fine age of 44 I did my time in the Sandbox. I was a hell of a lot older than most, the young Men and Women I saw doing their best under some real shitty conditions still remain one of my most fond memories.

And my oath still has not expired.

quandomquandom4 months ago

Very well done. Good story, sensitively understod, and nicely written.

Oddly, I have a slightly similar story posted in Literotica. Also about wonded vets. Not the same level of detail as yours.

But again - well done.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Great story,

I am not a vet, but I thank all those who have laid down their lives for their country especially those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

so well done,from a car guy,, also 14 generations of vets, and,,,,,,,a gold star dad.........thank you from all my heart

ReadIt1ReadIt13 months ago

2/5/24

Thank you for writing a touching, humble, story about being a veteran. You did a great job of all the nuances and the thoughtfulness, I appreciate and admire your writing and plot development skills, nice!

I feel like you discuss, being a Vietnam vet myself. I came home ok and as a grateful person for that, starting in 1975 I gave homeless vets a home made sandwich or two several times a week in the downtown DC area, until 2017 when I retired.

Now the mailman, trash and recycle crew, delivery drivers for Amazon, UPS, FEDEX, and such, are all offered a sandwich and a chilled bottle of water, and many happily accept. Sometimes I add brownies and such to the Food Ministry handouts. Plus meals to our neighbors now and then as well, and/or a few breakfast egg + meat + cheese toasted bakery bagel sandwiches here and there.

Have a great day my friend

Bob in Silver Spring, MD

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Well done from a 1%er. While not having gone to 'Nam' I still enjoyed the welcome home I recieved from the hordes of fools that never had or desired to serve this country in any way shape or form.

I just smiled at comments and skowles that were made when United Airlines upgraded me to First Class for the flight home.

married43wishingformoremarried43wishingformoreabout 2 months ago

Wonderful story. I enjoyed it very much. I love cars so that was one reason. The other reason was the story of the veterans.

My mom was born 11-11-27. My dad and my uncle (my mom's brother) were in the Army in 1951. My uncle was shot in the face in Korea. My mom always talked about how my uncle was hurt. Never about her birthday on 11-11 but about how Veterans Day should be celebrated.

We celebrated both.

AnonymousAnonymous21 days ago

Thank you for a true love story - one that tells it like it is, not just a fantasy.

Thank you also for serving. I regret that I did not. Nixon stopped the draft less than a week before I was to be sworn into the Corps and my recruiter said to go to college. I'm proud of two sons who served in the Corps in my stead, and I make it a point to say thank you every time I meet up with a veteran. There are a lot more Amoses out there than one would think, and I have met very, very few who thought they had done anything worthy of notice. However, it is that they served that allows me to live the life I live. I am profoundly grateful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 24 hours ago

I truly enjoyed this story, being an 81 year old Army vet who served when the Berlin Wall went up. Although I didn't go to Nam as I was out of the service by then, I knew friends and relatives who did. And I could relate to the problems with not ever having enough money. This was a great love story that brought tears. Thanks for giving me this enjoyment.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories