The ABCs of Polyamory

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Go on," I said.

"Once she does the deed with someone else, there's a danger of her leaving you to be with the new guy." Jen said. "It's not that she wouldn't care for you anymore. It's just that she may not be set up psychologically to be involved with more than one guy at a time."

"I don't know what to think. My gut agrees with you that it's a threat her being with someone else. Yet, she keeps saying new excitement could make our relationship even stronger, and I have to admit, talking and fantasizing about screwing someone new has pumped up our sex life lately."

Jen reached out and patted my hand. "Of course she wants to think a little extracurricular could be good for your relationship, or at least not hurt it, because she does love you and doesn't want to think about being without you. But if she breaks the ice with a new guy there will be some inevitable choices: Who do I pass this night with -- Michael or Gabe? What am I doing this weekend -- do I like Michael's plan to go camping in the mountains or would I rather do the seaside resort thing with Gabe? Who do I take my vacation with? Thanksgiving at my parents, and who do I bring along? Christmas at Gabe's parents or with Michael's folks? Choices always frustrate and disappoint someone. The result is sadness, anger, hard words. The excitement of the extra sex fades, and the need to reduce the stress and narrow the field grows. Suddenly monogamy looks good again, but who to be monogamous with?"

Jen taught at a local school, and I bet she was good at it. She looked at things practically and put them in perspective. It also increased my own misgivings. I grasped at a final straw.

"Well, if this does all come about, maybe the worst that happens is she just fucks him a couple of times and gets it out of her system," I suggested. "Maybe she'll decide she likes me more, dump him, say the hell with variety, and the experience actually will make us stronger together."

"Or maybe she'll find him a super stud, like him more and dump you," Chris commented.

And he was supposed to be my friend, the SOB. I scowled at him.

"Chris is right," Jen said. "Once these things start, there are a lot of unknowns, systems in flux and all that. Lynn will probably feel she has to choose to be with either Gabe or you. It's unlikely she can do a balancing act and handle both you guys. And also, don't forget the flip side: It may be you who can't take a triangle and has to split; or if you hang around it may be at the cost of your stomach lining. Either way, human nature being what it is, it probably won't be easy on either of you."

I took a long swig from my beer bottle. I probably looked depressed.

"Don't look so down, man," Chris said. "Maybe Lynn's just playing with this in her mind, and only flirting with this guy. When it comes down to diddle or ditch him, it may go nowhere."

That made me feel a little better, until Chris added, "But she is a fox. Once she's in a sexy outfit in that classy hotel, being wined, dined and sweet-talked..." He did not complete the thought, but made a "who knows" gesture.

Jen looked thoughtful. "I do have an idea how we can cut the risk."

"How?" I asked.

"Lynn said she's also attracted to my Christopher, right," Jen said, grabbing his arm. "Maybe we should set her up to get it on with Chris."

"Huh?" said Chris and I together.

"You find Lynn hot," she said to Chris. "She finds you hot. So we get you two together, and airbrush Gabe out of the picture, or the bedroom as the case may be."

Chris and I stared at her in amazement. I could not find my tongue.

"Okay, studs, here's my reasoning," Jen said, laughing. "Lynn gets the variety she wants with Chris, who turns her on but is no threat to her relationship with you, Michael -- no threat because you guys are friends and Chris is already married to me. She can live out all her fantasies, fuck her brains out with a new guy, and then they both go their separate ways. No conflicts about where to spend the night, weekends, vacations and family holidays; no stresses. Much safer for you, Michael, than letting her go to a stranger who's completely out of the loop and may cajole her away."

"You always did amaze me, Jen," I said.

"Me too," Chris said. "Jen, it wouldn't bug you if I shag Lynn?"

"I'm willing to sacrifice for the cause," Jen said, smiling. "I have faith in you, honey. I'm pretty sure you can shag and not go running off with her, leaving both me and your best friend all sad and lonely, especially since you have a hot babe like me to come home to." She thrust her chest out, boobs jouncing behind her thin sun dress. "Chris, you'd have the best of both worlds. The question is you, Michael? Will your gut allow you to share your girl with your friend?"

I looked at Chris. We were both still digesting this.

"I have to do something. You two studs think about this," Jen said. She got up. Tall, long blonde hair, shapely butt not hidden by her flowing dress as she walked away. She was as hot as she was smart.

"That is some woman you've got there," I said to Chris.

He nodded. "I have you to thank for the referral. Best favor you ever did me, bro. She's ABC -- Ass, Boobs, and Cerebral all in the same package. In the four years we've been married Jen's been more than enough for me, and I haven't even thought about roaming." He paused. "But I have to be honest. I'm a little stiff right now thinking about getting it on with Lynn, who's a fox in her own right. I hope that doesn't bum you, man."

"No, I understand completely. She affects me like that too, and I'll bet Gabe was stiff in his pants during lunch with her."

"So, regarding Jen's suggestion, would it be a problem if I hooked up with Lynn?" Chris asked. "I could understand if you don't like the idea -- I'm your friend, Lynn's your woman -- but we do have sort of a sharing history, you and I," Chris ventured with a grin.

He was right. We had been best bros since early college, during which we had some wild times. More than once, we went on double dates, sharing a motel room, once even exchanging girls who were willing. Once we threesomed with a girl who wanted to take on both of us. In the seven years since graduation, however, we had curbed ourselves, settling down with our respective significant others.

"I can't say for sure how I'd feel, but it'd bother me a lot less if it's you boinking her rather than Gabe or some other dude," I admitted. "You're our friend, not a threat."

"That's a plan then," said Jen, returning from the kitchen. She looked as good walking toward me as she had going the other way.

"This is weird, though," I told her. "To me, at least. Here I was joking with her the other night that she might fulfill her fuck-around fantasy with Chris, and now you're seriously suggesting it."

"But it does make sense," Jen said. Chris nodded, somewhat eagerly, I thought.

"However, there may be a problem getting Lynn on board with the plan," I said. "When I joked about it she showed interest, but also said she'd be embarrassed to discuss it with you guys."

"I got an idea," Chris said. "Jen could have some 'girl talk' with Lynn. She could pretend there's another guy who turns her on, and ask Lynn for advice. If Lynn's hot to trot, she may jump right in and talk about her stuff."

"Yes," Jen agreed, "she and I could share some feelings and frustrations common to all us victims of male domination, those of us who are trying to break out of the mold and explore our feelings and needs. Lynn and I can have a heart-to-heart about female empowerment, but the dangers it poses to relationships. If she brings up Gabe, I can suggest Chris as a safe alternative."

"I'm looking forward to helping Michael out here," Chris said, with a roguish smile. "I hope Lynn doesn't back off."

"I hope not either," Jen said. "That would disappoint me as well. Lynn's fantasy may be contagious -- the idea of mixing it up sort of excites me too." She looked at Chris. "In fact, I'm hoping this solution to Lynn and Michael's problem provides some bonus benefits for us too. While you're satisfying Lynn's roving urge, I can be comforting Michael," she said, pinching Chris's cheek. Chris looked shocked, as she continued, "You wouldn't put a chastity belt on me while you're off rescuing maidens in distress, would you honey?" She then looked at me, winking in a coquettish manner. I felt a slight stimulus between my legs.

Chris gave her an uneasy look but then looked at me and smiled. "May be a taste of old times, bro."

"Sure, super-stud," Jen said, "but a more mature version of it. We could be like one big, happy polyamorous family."

"One what?"

"Polyamory -- that's where the people involved agree it's okay for everyone to have other partners," Jen replied. "Polyamorous people accept that the part of our brain that makes us attracted to other people does not magically shut off once we find a boyfriend or girlfriend, or a husband or wife; also that loving other people has the benefit of variety, and if you're open to learning you may discover new techniques, and be better in bed for it."

"Sort of like swinging," Chris said.

"Not exactly," she said. "That's more casual. Swingers focus on sex as the main objective. It may involve a lot of people, who swap a lot, with new partners coming and going -- pun intended. With polyamory, people care about each other, help each other out, the relationships involve more than sex. The sex is still fun but also romantic. The relationships are deeper and last longer. People are courteous. And everybody is open about what they're doing with who. No hidden agendas, contests or ego trips. No jealousy and conflicts."

I could not help but admire the C part of Jen's ABC, as Chris had put it, even as I took renewed interest in her AB part. Yet, I still felt a little uneasy at the thought of Chris diddling Lynn.

I had to go put in some work. Chris walked me to my car. "Well, I guess Jen's interest in this plan isn't entirely altruistic," he said. "She seems to also have a personal interest involving you. Jokes aside, man, if me being with Lynn bothers you, just say the word, and we'll scrap this plan."

"I don't know," I told him. "We used to like swapping babes, but that was before any of them became special to us. This polyamorous thing that Jen's talking about could be okay in some ways, but could it really be so harmonious? I saw the way you looked when Jen alluded to getting it on with me."

Chris nodded. "Yeah, I'm all for shagging your babe, but I admit I might feel a little bummed if you're boffing Jen. I don't know why -- you and she already have a history." He thought a moment. "And it's old history. You've both moved on. If you did hook up again, it would just be reliving old times, and I shouldn't really feel threatened, right?"

"No, man, I wouldn't want to get between you and Jen. Well anyway, we're not committed to anything yet," I said, "and maybe Lynn will torpedo it."

"Later, man." We bumped fists and I drove away.

* * *

We always had a good time with Chris and Jen, and this evening raised the bar to new heights. Following good wine and conversation topped off by Jen's delicious dinner, I helped Chris with the cleanup. Jen suggested pool time, and the girls went upstairs to change into swimsuits. Shortly after, I admired their beautiful shapes in skimpy two-pieces as they traipsed through the kitchen on their way out to the pool. Jen told us to take our time on the dishes as she wanted some "girl talk" with Lynn.

Soon, the pungent aroma of burning weed drifted in through the window, along with snatches of conversation and peals of laughter. At one point their voices were lowered, as if the conversation had turned serious. "I'm so glad I'm not alone thinking that way," I heard Lynn say, followed shortly by, "Oh, that sounds so hot," and a little later, "I hope both guys are down for it." Chris and I exchanged glances.

We finished our KP duties and went outside to cool off and join them. The weather was warm and we were already in lined swim shorts, so we just doffed our T-shirts, made a dash for the pool and jumped in, raising a plume of water that drenched the girls, who made light protests before jumping in themselves to cannonball us. When Lynn came up, she threw her arms around my shoulders and wrapped her legs around my middle.

"Jen has some fun ideas for us," Lynn said, grinding against me underwater, her deep blue eyes and sensuous smile displaying excitement.

After we had enough of the water, we sat on some chairs at poolside and cracked open another bottle of wine. Jen lit a home-rolled, which we passed around. The banter was light at first, before Jen got to the main business of the evening.

"Lynn and I were talking earlier," she said. "Apparently, she's thinking in some daring ways, which she shared a little with me. Why don't we bring the guys in on this too," she suggested to Lynn.

"I'm a little embarrassed," Lynn said, laughing as she theatrically hid her eyes with her hands, peeking between her fingers -- at Chris, not me. "Okay," she said, lowering her hands to the table top. She proceeded to outline her video-inspired fantasy about spicing up our love life through "sexual variety" with someone else, "possibly a guy at work or someone else I feel close to." She looked at Chris again, coloring a little.

"She means you, big guy," Jen said to Chris.

"Wow, that is so awesome," Chris said, as if it was revelation to him, not hiding that he was appraising Lynn, who continued to smile self-consciously.

"I've already told Lynn that I think it would be safer to her relationship with Michael if she acts out this thing with Chris rather than taking it outside our circle," Jen said, and looking at her husband, added, "I'm willing to loan you out in the spirit of friendship." Chris looked happy. I felt a slight churning in the gut. "And since I'm also a little turned on by this idea, Lynn may reciprocate by letting me enjoy her property," Jen added, alternating glances between Chris and I." Chris' look became more sober, but he said nothing. I felt a stirring in my loins.

"Wow, I'm a little surprised how easily you guys covered all this," I told Lynn. "You seemed a lot more shy when I joked about the possibility the other night."

"Whether it was in jest or not, I've thought about it and decided you might be right," Lynn said. "Taking it to our friends makes sense, and when I discussed it with Jen she was so sympathetic to my urge for variety that she agreed. She sort of feels the same way, and was so enthusiastic, it was almost as if it was her idea. How about you guys -- are you cool with it?

Maybe it was due partly to the wine and the weed, as well as my prior conversation with Jen and Chris, but I was feeling more excited than anxious.

"I'm willing to explore it," I told her.

"Me too," Chris nodded.

"Okay, now that it's out in the open, and hearing no objections, I have an idea how to work into it," Jen said. "Did you guys ever play Truth or Dare during your college days?"

"Once," Chris said. "It got kind of wild."

"Sounds like you were at the same game I was," Lynn said, laughing.

Apparently I was the only one who had never played it. Jen explained the rules, which were simple: Someone starts by asking another player if they would rather have a question they must answer truthfully or be dared to do some deed. Either choice could be embarrassing, or titillating, or both. It then goes around in a circle, so everyone gets to repeat the exercise.

Jen went first. "Chris," she said, "truth or dare?" Chris chose truth, and Jen got right into a leading question. "When you've been having sex with me, have you ever fantasized that you're doing it with anyone else in this group, and who?"

Chris put his hand to his mouth and appeared to be in thought. "Well, while we're doing it, I've often fantasized I was actually banging Michael," he replied. We all broke up laughing.

"Truth!" Jen shouted.

"Okay, I'd be lying if I said I never thought of Lynn." He looked at both women a little modestly. Jen smiled, patting his hand. Lynn bit her lower lip as she returned his gaze.

Lynn went next. According to the rules she had to select someone new. She picked me, and I also chose to answer a question. She asked, "Darling Michael, tell who you would choose if you could have a threesome with me and someone else."

Another no-brainer, although I was surprised again at how Lynn was overcoming her shyness.

"It would have to include the lovely woman sitting next to you," I answered honestly,

Both ladies looked at ease with the answer, and Jen gave me a sultry look and licked her lips, only half in jest, I felt. A tent began rising in my swim shorts.

It was my turn next. By the rules, I had to truth or dare a player not yet picked on, so turned to Jen. She chose truth, and I decided to hit her with something less erotic but still relevant to this line of questioning. "Okay, do you believe it's possible for all the people in this group to have sex with someone else beside their spouse without it hurting the existing relationships or the friendships?"

"Wow," Jen exclaimed. "I left my psychology curriculum at school, but yeah, I think there's more than just testosterone and estrogen in this group. There are open minds and good hearts as well. If we all respect and trust one another, and mix in a little love, I think we can handle it."

She brushed back a strand of blond hair, and raised both bare feet so they were on the edge of her chair, legs slightly spread, looking both beautiful and sexy in her skimpy two-piece. That tent pole in my boxers grew a little more.

Chris was the next interrogator, and Lynn was the only one not yet grilled. She chose to take a question from him. "Why are you interested in exploring an expanded relationship?"

Lynn thought a moment before answering, as she reached out and took my arm. "Michael makes things interesting in and out of bed," she said, smiling at me. "I'm not bored, but I think back on my college days and just miss the excitement of something new, I guess. Or someone new," she added, looking intensely at Chris as she said it, and I bet there was movement in his shorts too.

Everyone having gone through both the interrogator and respondent roles, it was Jen's turn again. She asked Lynn to choose truth or dare. Lynn chose the question, and got another toughie. "If this group was to mix it up as we've been talking about, would you do it with a new guy in the same room where your steady honey was doing it with another girl, or would you want separate bedrooms?

"Oh my...," Lynn said, hand to face. She thought a moment. "I would defer to what others in the group wanted to do, but since I'm an excitement junkie, I think the adrenalin would flow the greatest if we all were in the same room." She tittered, flushing a little.

"Yeah, girl," Jen said. They did a fist bump.

Lynn went next. "Is it okay to direct a question at two people?" she asked Jen.

"Double dares are allowed, so yeah, why not a double question," Jen replied.

"Okay, Michael, Chris, I think it's clear how Jen feels. But to pick up on the last subject, how do the males here feel about getting it on in a group scene, with everything open to everyone else? You answer first, Michael, and then Chris."

I was no longer able to hide the tent that had risen in my shorts, so why mince words either. "No way of knowing how I'll feel until it's happening, but I'm sure it would be sexy, and any anxiety about what's going on between you and Chris might be worse if it was going on behind closed doors. Let it all hang out."

"Same for me. It would be a downer trying to imagine what was happening between my wife and best friend behind a door," Chris added. "I'd rather be there when it's happening."