All Comments on 'The Aloha is Long Gone'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
nice tale

nice tale but few people have a strong faith in todays world. some kill and

claim that it is in support of their faith. I do not buy into that. I think you will

get some hateful postings. I know you must be brave to write about faith.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Compelling

The conflict between Penelope and Zach made for compelling reading. Too bad they couldn't work things out. My wife and I are of different faiths and it's never been an issue. Of course, we don't have kids and neither of us is that observant.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 7 years ago
Contemplative and introspective

Your work brings to mind the contemplative, character driven stories of Pat Conroy and Richard Russo. And your stories are always original - never tedious or predictable. I'm always pleased to find the delectable treats you share with Literotica. How can I read more of your writing? Anything longer, or in other formats?

Several friends of mine walked away from Christian/Jewish relationships (fear of familial shunning more than ideological incompatibility) - and still profess deep regrets now in their "spiritually enlightened" later lives. Leaves me mildly dejected and cynical.

I too had a cross religion relationship years ago - we just celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary - and we have two relatively well adjusted adult children to boot. That must sound smug, but it has taken a lot of effort to build what we have, and for that we're very proud. (And we told a lot of irrelevant extended family and pseudo friends to butt out!)

Anyway, as always, thank you for sharing. 5 *s

Sidney43Sidney43over 7 years ago

A thoughtful story that touched on reality from a time when things were simpler, but lots of old prejudices were hiding under the surface. Having come of age in the sixties and in college I watched as lots of old conflicts were dealt with, some quietly, some not so much. I think you captured the essence, the spirit of the times very well.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
Thoughts

"Isn't shell fish considered non-kosher?" - Fran answers, "Only to some Jews." No, it's considered non-Kosher to ALL Jews, just that some Jews don't care! And frankly, I would doubt that it would be served at a Jewish country club.

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
Let Me Explain

In response to comments of sbrooks103x - Most Jews do know that shell fish is non-kosher. However, per the context of the story, the characters were saying it was ok for them to eat shell fish and pork because they lived a non-observant, secular lifestyle. Eating non-kosher food in that sense defines their personal opinion, not Orthodox dietary laws. Also, the Jewish country club I modeled Springdale after does indeed serve shrimp cocktail with meals.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
@trigudis

Thanks for the clarification. I would apologize for nit-picking, but that would be disingenuous as I am a notorious nit-picker!

I certainly yield to his statement about the country club as I have little to no knowledge about country clubs, Jewish or otherwise.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Enjoyed it

and thought it a shame that they couldn't overcome their societal conditioning.

My wife was a Christian and I'm not. After 52 years of me, occasionally pointing out the absurdity of anyone believing that an all-seeing, all-knowing, all powerful, 'god' could be so petty minded as to strongly favor a tiny minority of the human race, who happen to worship it in one particular fashion. And similarly, to condemn the vast majority who worship in a different fashion, or not at all. Her conviction has diminished.

OK, OK, some of them get their reward in the afterlife. Yeah. Right.

(Actually, my first sentence is wrong. If they HAD been able to overcome it, we wouldn't have had this story to enjoy.)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Really nice story

Brought up memories growing up Catholic in a public school where most of my friends were Jewish. We used to joke why we got along was the guilt from our mothers. I dated a few Jewish girls, but never got serious because they wanted to marry within the tribe.

Nicely written story, 5

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Damn religion

Sometimes, I wonder if more harm than good is caused by religion. A non practicing Catholic, I had a Jewish gf many years ago. It didn't work out since I would've been the only goy under a Jewish roof if we married and had kids and I couldn't see myself living that life. Their faith is even more demanding than mine was. Since I had serious doubts already about my own faith, I wasn't interested in more religious nonsense. Still, I hope she did well and had a nice life.

JAUNTYOLDONEJAUNTYOLDONEover 7 years ago
Really ???

I truly hate to bust your bubble . . . .but I was (in my 29th year) a 6'6" blue eyed MOT married to a 5'2" red haired zaftig shiksa who after 11 years and 2 sons hit me one day with a divorce. And after 3 more years I did it again (also to a 5'2" shiksa) that lasted 31.10 years to now and no end in sight. Good story,I'll have to read the rest of your writing and hope they do as well.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
"Rich Jews"

"He also didn't like the way "they" flaunted their success, what he considered ostentatious displays of wealth" - And it's not like all Jews are rich! My family was STRICTLY working class!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Both Penelope and Zach are wrong

What if one of them wants to be Muslim? Or atheist? Instead, while growing up, they can allow the kids to attend both types of religious services. Then as teenagers/adults, let them make their own choice - and the parents would have to respect their decisions!

Look at the US Presidential election - the bitterness and recrimination - but both liberals and conservatives agree on INDIVIDUALS having the right to vote. Individuals also have the right to choose the religion that's right for them.

luv2read2

DeKreDeKreover 6 years ago
Bad

I guess, the only evil worse than do-gooders is religion.

Birdstheword1Birdstheword1over 3 years ago

Interesting story.

Unfortunately very typical ending to a realistic relationship.

A relationship filled with a lot of adoration and lust but where they clearly didn't love each other.

If they had been in love, they would've learned to compromise.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
731 Followers
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...