The Amazon's Pledge Ch. 12

Story Info
Jorem has a private meeting with the Headmistress.
5.4k words
4.77
7.3k
18

Part 12 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/29/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SarahHawke
SarahHawke
693 Followers

Dinner was served mere moments after the bards finished their performance, and Telanya's terrified steward filled our glasses with a blue elven wine that was so sweet it was almost painful. I struck a balance between polite conversation and stuffing my face, and at times it almost felt like I was a ghost at the table. Beloran probed Kaseya for details about Nol Krovos, and she happily told him everything he wanted to know even when his eyes remained fastened on her breasts. Telanya took almost the exact opposite approach: her attention rarely left Valuri, and she endlessly quizzed the other woman about the Inquisitrix and the Senosi. I added useful information when appropriate, but for the most part I was content to eat and observe, in that order.

I also spent an absurd amount of time thinking about what was going to happen if and when we got out of here. Valuri would demand that I feed her, and afterward Kaseya would probably want some attention, too. She could deny being jealous all she wanted, but loyal amazon or not, she was still human. Just because she was willing to share me didn't mean she actually wanted to.

It wasn't until the servants removed our plates that the conversation finally shifted back to the matter at hand--specifically, why the two most powerful channelers in Highwind had decided to free us from the Gray Citadel.

"Now that you've all had the chance to settle, we have more important matters to discuss," Telanya said, twirling her long finger around the rim of her empty glass. "Half the reason my husband and I decided to help the three of you was because we hoped you would be able to tell us more about our enemy to the west."

"I just explained that the Inquisitrix is hell-bent on killing or converting every channeler in the Northern Reaches and conquering Highwind in the process," Valuri said. "I'm not sure what else you need to know. The people of this city need to be ready for war."

Beloran grunted softly. "Her armies are no match for ours. The Duskwatch and the Silver Fist have kept Highwind safe for generations."

"Your knights and rangers are powerful, but they're not invincible," Valuri told him. "The Inquisitrix has almost two hundred Senosi at her beck and call, and she endeavors to train more every day. Combined with a conventional army, they can neutralize enemy channelers and transform your paladins into little more than glorified foot soldiers."

The Archmage leaned back in his chair. "You believe that is her plan, then? To weaken our defenses before launching a full-scale attack?"

Valuri shrugged. "She's a lot more subtle than that--and more patient. She will sow division in your ranks first. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she's been helping the Black Mistress throw the city's underworld into chaos."

"We've been considering that possibility for a while now," Telanya replied gravely. "I wish we had proof of a connection--it might finally convince the Council to take the Vorsalosian threat seriously. Their fanatical focus on the Black Mistress has blinded them to other problems."

"There's another connection you don't know about," I said. "The Senosi have a new commander--another amazon from Nol Krovos named Ayrael."

Beloran frowned. "An amazon joining forces with the Senosi?"

"It is an isolated incident," Kaseya said. "Ayrael betrayed our people. She is the reason I was sent here."

"The point is that she's very dangerous, and Highwind needs to be ready for anything," I said, jumping in before Kaseya inadvertently revealed anything else. These people didn't need to know that Ayrael was her sister or any other specific details. "She already tried to capture us once, and I've no doubt she'll try again."

"To be blunt, I'm more interested in her plans for this city than her plans for you," Telanya said. "I'm disappointed you don't know more."

"Information was only half the reason you and your husband decided to reach out to us," Valuri pointed out. "What's the other half?"

Telanya shared a long look with her husband. "You're right. I do need your help with something--something vitally important."

"Magister Rethon told us about your excursion north of the Duskwood about a week ago," Beloran said. "By now, I'm sure you've figured out the truth: the Black Mistress had bribed Artificer Dieran and several other Guild mages to deliver the cargo to her rather than us."

I nodded. "But the Senosi stole it before it reached the city."

"Yes. You can see why this is a source of concern. The Mage's Guild has spent decades carefully cultivating a pristine reputation. Our wizards are supposed to be beyond reproach, yet apparently several of them are in the pocket of the criminal underworld. If word of their treachery spread to the public..."

"The people might start to think that trained wizards and untrained sorcerers aren't so different after all."

I regretted the words the instant they escaped my lips. I knew better than to let my bitterness overwhelm my good sense. I was here to impress these people, not insult them. Apparently, Kaseya's bluntness was rubbing off on me...

"Something like that," Telanya murmured. She smiled faintly, though I could see a dangerous glimmer behind her blue eyes. "The Senosi's involvement adds several more wrinkles to our problem, especially considering the nature of the cargo in question. Tell me: what do you know about vatari crystals?"

Valuri's ears perked up. "They absorb Aetheric energy--they're the source of the Senosi's power. I don't know all the specifics, but somehow the Inquisitrix crushes them into powder and then tattoos it beneath our skin."

"And without a steady supply, she would be unable to train new Huntresses," Beloran said. "Her minions have been mining the crystals from the Shattered Peaks for several years, but the Guild recently learned that the local deposits have nearly run dry. The Inquisitrix has been searching for new sources, and we have been trying to stop her."

I nodded solemnly as a few more pieces of the puzzle clicked into place. "You found other deposits, and you've been trying to mine them and store the crystals here in Highwind."

"Pure vatari is rare in this part of the world, mercifully, but we have located a few deposits in the north and south," Telanya said. "We've kept their location secret for obvious reasons, and we've spread out deliveries and caravans to try and conceal our true intentions. But now that the Inquisitrix knows what we're doing, I've no doubt that the Senosi will attempt to raid more shipments. This cannot be allowed."

"I heard whispers about a shortage when I was in Vorsalos, but I never had the chance to investigate the truth," Valuri said. "This is huge--the Inquisitrix uses vatari dust in basically everything these days. Armor, weapons...the Senosi can't function without it."

"We don't know precisely when her supplies will run out, but the more we sabotage her resources, the more we embolden her enemies," Telanya said. "An open war between our cities would be devastating. Starving her may be our best option for preventing one."

Kaseya frowned. "I do not understand. You said that the Black Mistress bribed your wizards into helping her, but from what we've learned, this woman is interested in harboring refugee sorcerers and smuggling illegal magical items. What use does she have for this crystal?"

The Archmage snorted. "I'm sure the Black Mistress would be more than happy to sell her plunder to the Inquisitrix in exchange for gold or fugitives. What other motivation does a criminal need?"

"She could also be trying to stock up on it in preparation for her own private war against the Mage's Guild," I reasoned. "Assuming the rumors about her having a personal vendetta against you and your wife are true."

The Headmistress's eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly--the movement was so subtle I doubt that anyone else picked up on it. Had I struck a nerve?

"I suppose that's possible," Telanya said after a moment. "Though if she truly believes she can stand against the full might of the Guild, she is delusional."

"Perhaps it's just a backup plan in case something goes wrong," I suggested. "I don't know, but the point is that she definitely has a reason to get involved. And if word of this cargo's importance gets around..."

This time, it was Telanya's cheek that twitched. "That is another reason I wish to hire you and your friends. You don't have any connections in this city, but I know you all have personal reasons to hate the Inquisitrix. Helping us is in your best interests."

I frowned and studied her face. Something about her expression and tone of voice...

"The Council doesn't know you've been hoarding vatari crystals," I reasoned. "That's the reason you wanted to speak with us here and not in the Citadel."

Her lip twitched again. "You really are more cunning than you look, aren't you?"

"He gets that a lot," Valuri said. "But you didn't answer his question."

Telanya poured herself another drink. "No one on the Council knows anything about these crystals," she said. "About a year ago, I proposed that we should attempt to starve the Inquisitrix's supply, but at that point I had only been in the city for a short while. They didn't trust me, and more to the point, they didn't want to antagonize Vorsalos. They refused to see the full nature of the threat before us."

"As did I," Beloran murmured solemnly. "It was the first of many times I learned not to question my wife's wisdom."

Telanya wasn't even looking at him; she was too busy scowling at her drink. "I can hardly blame you," she said. "Your people have such short lifespans that you're doomed to forget the past. Barely anyone in this city even remembers the War of the Three Cities, and the Council had to appoint another outsider as Ranger-General before they took the orc and gnoll threats seriously."

"Is that why you came here from Nelu'Thalas?" I asked. "To show all the 'foolish humans' the error of their ways?"

Telanya eyes lifted to meet mine. "Outsiders often have an easier time seeing the truth than those around them. You and your friends of all people should appreciate this."

I smiled. "We do. That's why I'm optimistic about working together."

We held our gaze for a few long, tense moments before Valuri broke our trance. "So basically, the two of you are waging your own private war against the Inquisitrix. You steal all her crystals, and you hope that no one here has to suffer the consequences of their complacency."

"More or less," Beloran said. "It may not be a perfect plan, but we don't live in a perfect world."

"No," I agreed. "We most certainly do not."

"You still haven't said exactly what you want us to do," Valuri said.

Telanya sipped at her drink as if she were giving herself one last chance to back out of her own plan. "There is another shipment of crystals en route to Highwind from Falcon Ridge in the south," she said. "I hired a band of mercenaries--the Falcon Guard--to protect the caravan, but I suspect they will need assistance."

"An amazon, a Senosi Huntress, a self-taught sorcerer...you are all dangerous and skilled in your way," the Archmage said. "And more to the point, you know our enemies better than anyone."

"That we do," I said, sharing a quick glance with the girls. "This sounds like something we can handle."

"Good," Telanya said. "The Falcon Guard are scheduled to reach the Highvale Pass four days from now. I want you to meet them there and ensure that the crystals reach the city."

"We should be able to make it with time to spare. Though given the risks involved...well, I assume you have some other form of payment in mind."

"Your freedom should be enough," Beloran muttered. "But just so you understand the importance of this mission, we'll pay each of you two thousand silver if the caravan reaches Highwind safely."

I tried and probably failed to keep the excitement off my face. Two thousand silver might not have been a fortune, but it was more than I had seen in a long time. Between the three of us, it was even more than we had expected from Artificer Dieran's bounty in the north.

"Make it three and we have a deal," Valuri said.

"Two, and we don't throw you back in the Citadel," Telanya replied coolly. "I'm even willing to give you a small advance, if you wish. But those are our terms."

I grabbed Valuri's wrist to make sure she didn't press the issue. "We accept," I said. "You won't be disappointed."

"I certainly hope not," Telanya murmured, her eyes flicking between the three of us again. "I'm sure I don't have to reiterate that you aren't to discuss this mission with anyone, not even the other mercenaries."

"They don't know what they're guarding?"

"They believe the crystals are precious gems. They also believe they are delivering them to Lord Martel, a...like-minded associate of ours in the city. He will accept the crystals and provide payment upon your return."

"Leaving the two of you in the clear just in case the Council starts poking around," Valuri said.

Telanya smiled again. "That is the general idea, yes. The councilors need to be kept in the dark for their own good. Their involvement at this stage would only sabotage the greater war effort, and I'm certain that none of us want that."

"You are not at war yet," Kaseya said.

"No, but we will be soon," Beloran said. "And I intend to be ready for it."

I nodded in agreement. I had about a thousand different things I wanted to discuss with the girls right now, but I needed to wait until we were alone. If I knew her as well as I thought I did, Valuri would almost certainly be cooking up her own schemes as well...

"Enough doom and gloom for one evening," Telanya said after a moment. "You'll need to set out tomorrow morning if you want to reach the rendezvous on time, but tonight you will be our guests. The servants have already prepared rooms for the three of you."

In other words, we don't totally trust you yet, and we'd like to keep our eyes on you for another night to see if you slip up and reveal anything.

"That's very kind of you," I said instead, forcing a smile.

"It's still early, of course," Telanya went on. "My husband wanted to show your lady friends some of the wonders he was talking about earlier...assuming they don't mind."

"Of course not," Valuri said, finishing her own drink. "Red and I would be honored."

Kaseya didn't seem nearly as enthused about leaving my side, but I sent her a soothing ripple through our magical bond. The Archmage might have been an old, gross lecher, but even the most powerful channeler in the city wouldn't be stupid enough to try anything with an amazon warrior and a Senosi Huntress. Besides, Valuri would undoubtedly use the privacy to learn as much as she could about the nuances of the situation. Huntresses were spies as well as assassins, and I'd never met a man she couldn't manipulate. Including myself.

"Wonderful," Beloran said, standing and offering the girls his hands. "Right this way, my dears..."

He escorted them toward a door on the far side of the room, and Kaseya glanced back at me one last time before she vanished around the corner. I activated my ring to ensure that we'd be able to communicate no matter where the Archmage took them.

Just smile and nod and follow Val's lead. She knows how to handle people like this.

Kaseya didn't completely trust Valuri yet, for obvious reasons, but I held out hope that they would eventually get along. As amusing as it was to watch them compete over the rights to my cock, in the long term we would all be a lot happier if they learned to share...

"While your friends occupy my husband, I was hoping we could have a private chat," Telanya said once the others were gone.

I swiveled back around to face her. "Of course. What's on your mind, my lady?"

"Many things, none of which we should discuss here," she said with a smirk. "There's a more comfortable sitting room on the other side of the house."

I smiled back. "Lead on."

She stood and offered me her slender arm. As we strolled out of the dining hall, I couldn't help but notice the sudden shift in her voice and body language. Her fingers began gently stroking my arm, and she nestled her hips against me so tightly it was actually a bit awkward to move--though still not nearly as awkward as it would be if my rapidly stiffening member didn't start behaving itself.

We soon found ourselves inside a long, dimly lit corridor that was remarkably pastoral compared to the rest of the estate. The decorations on the walls looked elven in design, and the paintings confirmed my suspicions. This wing of the house must have been her personal space.

"I wanted you to know that I do not share my husband's innate suspicion of sorcery," Telanya said as we moved. "My people have a much more enlightened view of magic. Sorcerers are as common in Nelu'Thalas as they are on Nol Krovos."

"I wondered about that," I said. "Elves are demonized in Vorsalos, and not just the drow. Your people have the oldest channeling traditions in the world. Most human religions blame the Avetharri Wyrm Lords for betraying the gods and imprisoning them within the Pale."

"Their ignorance is appalling but not surprising," Telanya said. "The Aether is a weapon; it is no more inherently evil than a sword or a bow."

"A sword can kill dozens; a sorcerer can kill thousands," I said. "That's what the Inquisitrix would say."

"A sword also can't heal the sick or sculpt stone or evoke otherworldly pleasures," Telanya countered. "I'm not blind, Mister Farr. I saw the golden collar around your amazon friend's neck. I know what it means."

"I, uh, well it's hard to--"

"You don't need to explain," she insisted. "I've always found amazon culture quite interesting. My husband does, too, of course, as I'm sure you could tell by the way he was eyeing your friend."

I chuckled anxiously. "Kaseya is one of a kind."

"And completely loyal to you. Not many women would have risked doing what she did beneath the table earlier."

Somehow, I managed not to trip mid-stride. But I did stumble, and Telanya brought us to a halt and laughed.

"Elves have excellent vision, Mister Farr," she said, running a finger along the tips of her ears. "And we have even better hearing."

I really thought I was going to suffocate. My throat closed off, my breath burned in my lungs, and the embarrassed heat in my cheeks was so unbearable I was tempted to smash through the nearest door and dive out a window.

"It's rare enough for an amazon to pledge herself to an outsider," Telanya went on, placing her hand on my chest. "But somehow you've also earned the loyalty of that beautiful Senosi Huntress. You must truly be a remarkable man, Mister Farr." She inched close enough that I could feel the warmth of her breath. "May I call you Jorem?"

"Of course," I squeaked, trying and failing to keep my eyes off her cleavage. My cock was so hard it was going to spear her in the belly if she encroached any further.

"With two gorgeous, deadly women at your side, it's a miracle you get anything done," she went on. "You must be quite...skilled...for them to fawn over you so readily."

My throat was so parched I wasn't sure if I could speak even I'd had something to say. I kept resisting the urge to glance over my shoulder--I couldn't help but imagine the Archmage lurking in the shadows, just waiting for the chance to polymorph me into a mouse.

"One of my friends in Nelu'Thalas had a saying," Telanya went on. "Wizardry is like wearing a condom: it's safe and practical and it gets the job done. Sorcery is like going bareback--it's dangerous and stupid, but it's a whole lot more fun."

"That's..." I rasped, "That's pretty good. You'll forgive me for saying so, but it's also not the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from the Headmistress of the Highwind Academy."

SarahHawke
SarahHawke
693 Followers
12