The Ant Woman Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With his own sigh, the Emperor looked down at his cooling tea, and he said, "It wouldn't reflect well on me if I reopened this case. Royal Mother has already sent the money to that maid's family."

"I know asking for that much would be an insult to the Royal Family," Wen said as she reached for a pair of chopsticks.

"You need to have that maid replaced soon," he said with a tired voice.

Wen used her chopsticks to pick up a cluster of grilled fish mixed in with rice. "This concubine doesn't have the heart for it."

"Find the heart soon." He took a sip of tea. Then a moment of light surprise flashed across his face. "This tea is actually quite lovely after it's cooled for a short time."

"I imagine my mood will be ruined for weeks." Wen chewed and swallowed her rice and fish.

The Emperor shrugged. "I'll have one chosen for you, then."

If they were a normal couple, they would've had a light argument over it. Instead, Wen only gave her husband sad, almost childish looks. Eventually he tapped the table with his fingers and said, "Then I'll use this as an excuse to pamper you. I'll order a small contest in the Younger Embroidery Department to see who can make the most beautiful skirt and blouse for you. The first place winner will serve as your new maid. The second place winner will be transferred as an apprentice in the Older Embroidery Department."

Wen considered this proposal for a moment. Then she said, "What will be done with the rejected outfits?"

"I'll give them to other consorts," the Emperor said with a shrug. Then, as if the issue meant nothing to him, he casually said, "and I'm going to promote you to a Bamboo Lady."

***

It was said that the difference between a Bamboo Lady and a Pollen Lady was the living arrangements. Yet, there were a few minor differences, such as the number of bracelets and hairsticks allowed in one's hair and the dishware used when eating. Honestly, the sumptuary laws didn't show much else of a difference between the levels. Wen had once heard a concubine say that the rank of Bamboo Lady was rarely given to anyone, as if the Royal Family often forgot it existed.

Perhaps, Wen thought, the Imperial Consort Ranking System needed another overhaul.

But she wasn't going to bitch about it.

Even though she lived in the same apartment, even though she was still entitled to only two personal maids, Wen now had some luxuries a Pollen Lady would have. She even had similar food and clothing. The monthly allowance as certainly higher than before, but it was also a bit less than a Pollen Lady's allowance.

Once again, Wen wasn't going to bitch about it.

A new badge was given to her. It was still bronze, but the edges were plated in copper. Pollen Lady Kumi once teased her by saying, "You're so close to me that you likely know the taste of my heels. At this rate, you'll have your own palace. And since there aren't any other lower ranking concubines to spare, you might be allowed to live with only your servants to keep track of."

Wen didn't know what to think of that idea.

***

12