All Comments on 'The Arctic Ch. 06'

by jadewinchester

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
JpmaggersJpmaggersalmost 7 years ago
A bit gratuitous

So, I've really enjoyed the story so far. Some of the narrative choices work really well, the characters are nicely realized and the prose flows skillfully. There was some skillful world building in this chapter that I appreciated and I really like eira as a character.

However, a constant problem I find is that the writer can't resist despicting gratuitous amounts of violence and mutilation. All the ear cutting, the severed heads of everyone she ever knew, threat of punishment by having her hands burned off (earlier chapter), pointless slave fights to the death, constant threats of full blown mutilation and the constant extremely violent rape. These factors detract, not add, to the story. I know the genre is non-con, but there are levels of non-con and at least for this reader I feel that all the mutilation focus is taking the story to the bad side of non-con town.

Aditionally, from where we last left off, with everything unsaid and undealt with between nicholas and eira, the new chapter immediately being an assualt on the so far main bad guy of the story seemed somewhat abrupt. As did the lack of Astrid after her so far heavy presence in the story.

Some really good work there, just a few issues.

4/5 stars

jadewinchesterjadewinchesteralmost 7 years agoAuthor
I hear ya

It has a non-con scene(s), and the rest of this story is in same genre. I will not change where I post this story.

I am sorry that you dont like my violent mutilations/torture or rape scenes. This is all just a fun hobby for me. I have been trying my hands at new styles, so everyone is going to see that in my writing. I am painting the wolves as a more barbaric race, if that wasn't already clear. They think more like animal than human. Also, there are lots of people who DO like the morbid stuff. I personally like the violence, it really gets me off and when im turned on i write more. I will say that I am going to try and make a less violent series...someday lol. I cannot tell what the future chapters will be, for I am not a 100% certain myself. But i appreciate the feedback, and opinions, even if they can be a bit harsh lol I will try and address the other points you brought up in the new chapter. I confess the end of it was a bit rushed

JpmaggersJpmaggersalmost 7 years ago
A bit gratuitous (reprise)

I'm sorry, looking back at my comment it came off a little rude. I too have enjoyed some of the darker non-con stories on the site (and off, I got into the genre reading the Puppy Mill series which is far more gratuitous in its violent themes). I also think that for the most part your story has handled this very well, meeting a nice balance between real peril for the characters and engaging in some interesting world building, this is a difficult feat to pull off and certainly worth a pat on the back. Even the rape scenes have so far been handled expertly despite the brutality of them.

My issue was more that this chapter felt a bit overloaded with bad things happening without any breathing space, resulting in the events not hitting as hard, or feeling gratuitous in nature. It's a hard balance to strike progressing a story whilst still giving the characters room to rest and grow, especially for darker stories, and my worry mostly fell around this. (Though some of the mutilation focus does leave me a bit squicked out, that's a personal preference issue)

I very much look forward to seeing more of this story, and wish you good luck moving forwards :)

evebroughtanaxthistimeevebroughtanaxthistimealmost 7 years ago

I wait, sulking - and then, there it is: 'The Arctic'. Makes me giddy all over. Your other stories got to me too, but this one doesn't get interrupted by a toilet-break, no matter how urgent the pressure.

Aunty Ingrid has some explaining to do!

Thnx again for chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Great read! I'm looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

It'll be interesting to see if you ever finish this.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjadewinchester@jadewinchester
488 Followers
IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEND ME EMAIL TO DISCUSS OR TRY AND COLLABORATE, MAKE SURE THE RETURN EMAIL ADDRESS IS CORRECT. I CANT WRITE BACK WITHOUT IT! Anyone whos messaged and I haven't replied, this ^ is why! Writing is a hobby, I simply love to create. The fact that anyone like...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES