The Arete - Princess-Consort Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So she is," Heoldax still shot Caeli a reproachful look, "Courtyard, in the saddle on your warhorses, within the hour."

I turned to Caeli and kissed the hand that still white-knuckled mine. "I love you and I'll be back as soon as I can."

"No," she insisted.

"Caeli, Tarvini is less than 100 miles from the border and only a few towns from this fortress. We must stop the horde in its tracks."

"We'd be safe in the fortress though?"

"You would have me cower behind walls while a horde ravages town and country?"

"You're one soldier. You can't stop a... a horde."

"My love," I hugged her to me, "Every one soldier must stand and fight or the tidal wave takes us all."

"No," she pounded her small fist on my chest, but the air was already out of her. "You're mine. Mine. My sisters, they can't have you."

"I'm a soldier, dear Caeli. They have me by oath."

"You swore an oath to me too."

"On my commission and on my honor, so it's broken if I have neither."

"Don't go. I don't care about honor. I care about you," her little fist still pressed against my chest, but she laid her head there too.

"I love you," I repeated.

"I love you, too, Tai," she looked up at me, resigned but crying. "So don't die."

"I'll do my best to get back to you alive, my love," I kissed her forehead, threw on soldier's garb, and left the room without letting myself look back. I stopped only in the side room to collect my armor, my tack and kit, and some bags of gold.

Walking out on her while listening to her crying bitterly was the hardest thing I'd ever forced myself to do.

Lucax stopped me at my door, her cavalry armor half on and holding the rest of her tack and kit.

"Ser Lucax," I held up my hand, "I assume your place remains here."

"It shouldn't," she disputed through gritted teeth and with shame in her eyes. It was an unwarranted shame, but also an undeniable shame. The same shame any fencible soldier would feel while watching another loyal soldier leave a shared relative safety to face an imminent threat that they'd both been trained to fight and both had sworn to fight.

"Nonetheless, it does." There was nothing comforting to be said about it and no time to say it, so I didn't stand and argue.

Leaving or not leaving, neither seems right to a soldier with her love at home.