The Arete - Princess-Consort Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You have reinforcements coming, Your Highness?"

"Not enough and not soon enough. These barbarians are almost all light horse archers. They'll be at our border inside a week. Maybe two if they dally for some raping and pillaging. At best I may have half their number by then. And they'll be gathering what tribes they don't rape and pillage on their way."

I nodded.

"Taiglox, you're looking at this with fresh eyes and you may've studied more war text than anyone in camp, thank the Queen. Advise me."

"Battle tactics, Your Highness. I leave strategy to generals, as I should."

"Spare me your modesty and give me your opinion. Even a restatement of the problem might jog an idea."

"They'll have advantage of speed on the march," I looked down at the map, "You'll need to pick a defensible position and let them come to you so as not to be flanked and drowned."

"Yes, Taiglox, I had considered that most fundamental aspect of the situation. I suppose that means that I should simply select the most 'defensible' rolling field on the open plains along the border?" she snarked and then apologized, "Forgive me. I asked. I'm just frustrated. Continue."

"Time is our weakness, but we need to make it theirs. Victory is obviously always our aim, but perhaps simply avoiding defeat may be sufficient to protect our borders over time, though we clearly can't hold our borders where they are at the moment."

"You're not suggesting paying tribute like the rest of those cowards?"

"No. 'An enemy paid is a usurer who will bleed you dry.'"

"Agreed. What are you suggesting?"

"That our borders are the key. They are invisible lines with no tactical value. It's admittedly arguably shameful, but we needn't risk likely defeat in open battle on the plains merely to hold invisible lines."

"You are suggesting we cede territory?"

"Yes, but in such a manner that they cannot hope to hold it. We choke them out. They can't camp long in the mountains in their numbers and with their garb. Nor the badlands." I moved two spare tokens on the map. "We hold Crasarn Valley, something we could do with 600 good archers and 300 heavy infantry against even fifty times their number. Then position the main army in Tarkinian Valley to grow with every passing day in number.

"An army in being, as it were?"

"Yes, and one that they couldn't ignore or avoid and still do us harm. They could attack the pass, of course. And they might win against us there, but only with extremely heavy losses on their side. It would at best for them be a pyrrhic victory."

Heoldax sat up as I continued.

"A horde like that is a wild beast that must be fed. It needs momentum to maintain itself or the tribes will fight amongst themselves and desert in droves. First, we bring our own people living between the arbitrary border and the mountains to temporary safety behind the main army camped Tarkinian Pass."

"It'd be difficult and imperfect, but those lands could be functionally evacuated within the week. We'd need to house them all in the valley and find a way to feed them, but it can be done."

"Then we empty the unconquered plains of dissenting tribes and their resources that would serve as fodder. Offer them our hegemony on the other side of the pass or just point out their doom if they don't acquiesce. Move the weak behind our lines and use their warriors as auxiliaries. Best case scenario, the horde disbands or redirects elsewhere after a lack of victory. Worst case, they face our bolstered numbers after a march with no fattening victories."

"That would work," Heoldax stood, "It's not victory, but it's not the humiliating and costly defeat we're facing now."

"Not a victory now, Your Highness, but I would recommend, for the sake of the Queen's pride and for retribution against a threatening enemy, that we come back with our full force in campaigning season and erase every tribe who joined this ill-conceived horde from fucking memory."

"I couldn't agree more. And we'll get a new province for our trouble," she nodded vigorously, "Pages, fetch my principal officers!"

Heoldax laid out the plan to the Masters of What-have-you, sent 400 heavy infantry and 900 mixed archers to Crasarn Valley under her Master of Mounted Archers, sent her Master of Light Infantry and six companies to clear our citizens from the border to the pass, and announced that the rest of the army would march on to Tarkinian Valley. She left Ser Gharntex and 40 guardswomen at Proquian Rock to direct reinforcements.

"Ser Taiglox, you will take one company of light horse, one company of mounted archers, and a squad of scouts. Go forth and affect the removal of as many tribes as possible as quickly and as peacefully as possible. Raze the earth and poison the wells behind you, though. Leave no fodder."

No one present questioned aloud why the Crown Princess assigned such a task to me, including me, but I'm sure that we all wondered quite lucidly in our thoughts why I'd been picked. I was an odd choice to say the least as a cataphract-cum-aide-de-camp. But, qualified or not, off I would go.

"Yes, Your Highness. Request a small contingent of auxiliaries to serve as guides and translators?"

"Take whom you need, not to exceed twenty women and leaving by nightfall," Heoldax nodded sagely, understanding that linguistic and cultural translators might be valuable, "You are also field-promoted to captain."

I bowed in thanks, the moment not being right for a long speech of gratitude. In any case, I was mostly glad to be going afield.

I stopped the Master of Scouts on the way out, a sharp young high-bred noblewoman wearing heavy red copper armor inlaid with large round pearls, the red-orange and ivory of House Faquardya. "May I meet my squadron leader, please?"

"I am Ser Yeanitix, secondborn of Faquardya," the bejeweled knight answered back stiffly.

"Sorry," It is speedier to apologize when formality is prioritized over expediency than to argue rightness instead, which would only incur ire that would further lessen expediency. "I'm Ser Taiglox, thirdborn of Trijox, House Laerdya."

"Yes, I know who you are, Princess-Consort," she looked at me with disdainful dubiousness, "Though why you'd speak first to a few scouts is beyond me. Nonetheless, the scouts are camped over that ridge. Take whichever squad you like."

"Thank you, Ser Yeanitix," I expressed gratitude politely, even if - as she said - my reasoning was "beyond" the understanding of her limited warfare experience. Due to their small companies and least violent mission, scouts are frequently considered by officers to be the least esteemed of the army, along with the sappers and quartermasters. I'm sure Ser Yeanitix was only marking time until she could be named to Master of Light Cavalry or some other more prestigious billet.

If made to choose among my force of regulars for my current mission however, I'd leave the companies of light horse and mounted archers and take only the squad of scouts with me. For riding fast and hard, for treating among foreign enemies, and for sound judgement in imminent danger, there are none better than squads of hard-bitten, well-trained, and battle-tested army scouts.

"Ho there," I called out as I crested the ridge, "First Sergeant?"

Three grizzled heads popped up, but one waved at the other two to stand down as she walked toward me. "I'm First Sergeant Krefinax, 3rd scout division. What business does a cataphract officer have with us?"

"I'm Captain Taiglox, 1st mixed regiment, 1000th division," I introduced myself and related my purpose. "I've been given a mission from General Heoldax for which I'm to bring a squad of scouts. I'd also ask advice, First Sergeant?"

"You'll have both, Captain." The agreement wasn't what you'd call warm, but it was respectful.

I drew my kopis and used it to draw a crude map in the soft dirt. "General Heoldax is splitting the army to hold the two valleys, but I'm to take a smaller mounted force ahead and clear the plains of unaligned tribes as much as possible in advance of the horde's arrival."

"To make their reinforcements and resources ours and starve 'em on the ride. Smart," Krefinax understood immediately and used the point of her razor-sharp espasa to draw exes on the makeshift dirt map to mark where tribes centered, "How do you intend to affect that?"

"Negotiation as much as possible. Making our cause their cause and offering safety, winter provisions, and fallow lands on the other side of the valley. Others might be bribed by an increase to power and place amongst the tribes once the horde is disbanded or defeated. Many warbands might join to become part of the auxiliary in a larger and more victorious army. Actual battle would be a last resort."

"Why is fighting your last resort?" the experienced first sergeant asked, clearly weighing me by my answer.

"Strategically, because we need to avoid depleting our numbers at almost all costs and increasing those numbers instead would be of great value. Pragmatically, because we don't have time for endless small skirmishes. Personally, because I have no stomach for killing harmless wives and innocent children. Or for leaving the elderly and orphans to die of hunger or at the blades of the next raiders to chance upon them," I answered her frankly.

"Fair," she looked at me more favorably.

"Yet, I'm not familiar with these tribes and therefore don't know which appeals would be most likely to motivate them. I need advice from scouts who either know their ways or know which auxiliaries will."

"Also smart," she acknowledged as she pointed to the map, "My own tribe swore to the Queen's army while living not twenty miles from that valley in my grandmother's day. We're full citizens now, but I've ridden in these lands since I was but a wee little thing, trading and fighting. I'll come with you myself, if you'll have me, and handpick scouts and auxiliaries to bring with me."

"You could not be more welcome First Sergeant Krefinax," She was exactly who I needed, "But I should warn you, I'm to raze the ground and poison the water behind me. Mercy to intractable tribes is not mine to give."

"Nor will mercy be requested. My oath is to my Queen's service, my Queen's wars, and my Queen's victory. I'll have the right women ready before dusk."

"We'll meet on the east tip of camp at dusk then," I took my leave and hied myself to Vostiv's tent, but she was off looking after Savaran and Stygian.

"Vostiv, I need you!" I hollered at her.

"Yes, ser?" she ran to me.

"I leave at dusk for a forward mission. You'll take over my duties as aide-de-camp to General Heoldax and leave with the main army at dawn. Meanwhile, take what gold you need from my tent and get me a set of leather armor with a brigandine, gorget, and helm, tack for a jennet, and two jennets."

"Aye, sir. I'd be of more help going with you?" my brave squire looked at me hopefully.

"Circumstances are not so dire that I'll bring a child into combat, as brave and skilled as that child may be," I declined gently, "Your time will come. Until then, stay close to General Heoldax and be a help to her."

I came to the Master of Mounted Archers next, a much more experienced colonel from House Haecardya.

"Captain Taiglox," she greeted me warmly, "Colonel Pacix, secondborn of Haecardya. My daughter Plinit mentioned you in a letter, 'the fearsome soldier' who would marry the princess. I also surmise it was your plan to hold the valleys. I am not ungrateful. You've come for your company?"

"Yes, ma'am. I need them at the east tip of camp at dusk."

"Done," she called, "Lieutenant Bascinax, report with your company to Captain Taiglox at the east tip of camp by dusk.

"Aye, ma'am," we both answered and I was off to see the Master of Light Cavalry.

She was younger, but well-blooded, and wore the tan and burgundy of House Clatradya.

"Captain Taiglox," she also greeted me warmly, "You've come to ask about your company?"

"I have, ma'am. I need them at the east tip of camp by dusk."

"My cousin, Mayor Gotirox, sends me word that you're an honest thief?"

"So I'd like to be known, ma'am."

"She entreated me to show gratitude to you for your fairness. 1st company, 1st regiment, 1st light cavalry division will await you at dusk."

"Thank you, ma'am."

I returned to my own tent; ate a full meal; checked my weapons and kit; wrote another letter to Caeli averring my love but leaving out details that would only serve to frighten her; tucked more paper, a flask of ink, and three writing styluses into a pocket of my tunic; and forced myself to sleep.

A couple hours after noon, Vostiv brought my armor and saddled horse and spare, wishing me luck and promising to post the letters to Caeli as I left for the edge of camp.

Still two hours before dusk, I arrived. My lieutenants and first sergeant were already there, but the troops were still gathering.

I called a quick war council, verifying that spare horses and provisions had been acquired and restating the plan with a similar crude map on the ground.

"Captain, where do we ride first?" my light cavalry lieutenant. She was a likely young officer from House Vexenya named Zentix.

"For that I turn to First Sergeant."

"The Ornifians. They're among the closest tribes, good trading partners, and as they go will go at least six other tribes."

"The Ornifians, then," I agreed. We rode four days to the Ornifians, convinced them and fifteen other tribes to leave for lands behind the valleys either permanently or until the danger passed, and watched them drive their herds and people from their native land.

Moreover, many warriors joined our division in the field, growing our numbers to over four hundred women-at-arms. A small army in our own right at that point, negotiations became easier. We grew to over seven hundred women-at-arms as we convinced another twenty-some tribes to follow suit.

The Vicranians and Rythraians were eager and large, wanting as a majority to move into good farmlands over the mountains. So much so that some of their most fierce warriors splintered off to join the Yontians, a tribe with no interest in our country or army any further than defeating the coming horde.

The Paxitians and Ghaquians, smaller tribes of mostly herdswomen, also wanted to avail themselves of the safety behind the mountains. For generations, they'd guarded their flocks and driven them to sparse grasses in often rare oases. And for generations, they faced hard to impossible winters when raided by larger tribes and forced to rebuild their herds and lives in the cold and barren plains.

Other tribes joined with the planned goal of joining the Queen's army. More warriors than farmers or herders, the Farankians, Jalians, and Yalwians had served as auxiliaries for generations to the Queen's army. The coming horde was the catalyst they needed to ask for citizenship. How much better to have your children safe behind fortified defenses when fighting for the Queen for full army pay and benefits?

"Captain," Krefinax warned me, "the Gartifians are the only tribe of size remaining, best count is two hundred warriors and half again as many non-combatants. They are the most likely to be 'intractable' as you would put it."

"They've no angle for us to play? No hatred for the horde or desire for better lands? No fear of being overrun?"

"They'll probably join the horde on arrival, ma'am."

"Very well," I sighed, "We'll still parley first."

I arrayed my forces on a ridge above their valley encampment in good position, far enough away so as not to instigate but close enough to intimidate. Then I brought my First Sergeant and a mix of fifty women-at-arms with me under a white flag of peace, stopping just out of arrow range to wait.

A band of nearly a hundred warriors rode to us, headed by a leader taller than me.

"You are unwelcome here, barbarians," the tall warrior threatened and spat.

"We are here nonetheless. We offer you peace to leave your lands and take refuge behind our army against the coming horde."

"Your army will be annihilated by the coming horde."

"Not before we annihilate you and your warband. We offer you peace or war. With us or against us."

"Against you then. You can't afford to fight us with a horde coming."

"I've orders to do just that."

Again, a lugee was hoked and spat. "Orders, pah. You cowardly barbarians always follow orders. We do not fear death."

"Face me in single combat then. Winner takes all."

"Why on earth would I do that?"

"I would spare your people the consequences of their leader's pride. Presumably, that same pride would urge you not to cower in fear from the challenge of single combat with a barbarian."

"Pah."

I looked to the other warriors, "You all agree. You'll all die pointlessly when favorable peace is offered?"

As one, they nodded and spat.

I shook my head in frustration, "Why?"

"We are Gartifia!" they shouted and broke into war screams and wild howls.

I looked to Krefinax. She shrugged.

"Fine," I gave up in disgust, "meet us in the field with every idiot who wants to die with you. We'll attack once you've gathered."

"You won't ride on our camp?"

"No," I answered in greater disgust, "We don't want to kill any of you incredible morons. I do want to beat some sense into the lot of you, but you can surrender at any point. We certainly won't murder your innocents."

They wheeled away. We returned to the ridge and formed up. Within an hour, two hundred some fools were charging uphill at us in poor or no armor, screaming at the top of their lungs.

It was an absolute slaughter, maybe twenty reached us through the rain of arrows. Those twenty would not surrender either and were killed in ninety seconds. Our side had ten injured by arrows and one fumbling her own blade.

"Lieutenant Bascinax, send your bowwomen to gather all the arrows, then come with me. Lieutenant Zentix send your horsewomen to gather all the loose horses, then come with me. First Sergeant, bring a hundred auxiliaries and come with me."

We rode down to the encampment, but were unprepared for the horror we found.

Fully dressed corpses littered the dusty dry ground in dozens with blooming fresh red slices on every wrist. All the adults - from fresh faced youths to gray-headed elders - had evidently stepped outside their yurts and voluntarily killed themselves with knives.

Over a hundred crying and confused children remained. None made any move to attack us. Most didn't recognize our presence, being too traumatized by the immediate and violent deaths of their caregivers.

I turned to Krefinax in utter bewilderment myself.

She shook her bowed head. "The Gartifians are a bizarre people. Were a bizarre people rather."

"They're not all dead."

"These children won't survive their parents long."

"We can't leave them to die here. We won't. It's tantamount to murder."

"We won't?" Krefinax looked at me with another weighing glance. "What happened to 'no mercy?'"

I locked eyes with a terrified girl, no more than ten years old, holding a fussing infant tightly, as though any one of us might try to snatch the poor little motherless babe from her.

"For violent resistance, yes. Not for helpless children. What are we if there's no mercy for helpless children?"

"I don't disagree with you, ma'am," Bascinax spoke up, "But we're not exactly outfitted to take on a hundred children. The babies will need milk. Few if any will be able to ride. We can't continue on with our mission bringing little ones with us."

"This is clearly a winter encampment, which means they must have food enough in reserve for five hundred people for a few months at least and enough for a couple thousand for a while," I reasoned, "Lieutenant Bascinax, you will remain here with twenty archers, twenty light cavalry, and forty auxiliaries. Try to get those with children or younger siblings or something. Find out if anyone knows if babes can drink cow milk or goat milk from the herds on the plain. And all the other questions that might be easily answered by any mother."