The Arete - Princess-Consort Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The mountains rose in the distance, signaling that I was within four or five days of the end of my westward journey. Determining what pass might be closest was beyond the poor limits of my geographic knowledge, ignorant as I was of my latitude.

Still, I walked on, deciding I'd turn to follow the next flowing water source I found that seemed to head into the mountains. Three days passed without me finding any such source of life, but my despair soon ended.

A squad of Queen's scouts found me instead.

"Halt where you are!" the point rider called out to me. "Identify yourself."

Only then did I realize that I still had the braids and garb of a nomad. Coupled with my matted hair and shallacking of grime, I looked very unlike a captain in the Queen's army. Nor did my beaten leather armor - still only weeks old but already having seen more hard use than most officers' armor ever would - have any insignia denoting my knighthood, house, or rank sewn or stamped on to identify me.

Nonetheless, I am what I am.

"Captain Taiglox," I announced as I unbuckled and dropped my weapons belt as is a customary token of peaceful goodwill in such scenarios, "1st mixed regiment, 1000th division, Queen's army."

"You may be. You may not. Get the fuck down on the ground and stay down, either way."

I threw my identification necklace to the ground a few yards ahead of me, then lay flat on my stomach and waited.

"You've no reason to be out here alone. You claim no real regiment. How do we know you're not a deserter who killed her officer and took her necklace and weapons?"

"You don't. I submit to being bound and brought to your commander."

And so I was.

The scouts were decent though, giving me food and water that could be consumed with bound hands and letting me ride instead of being dragged behind.

On arrival to camp, I was jeered a bit, but nothing too awful and I certainly didn't respond as I was led to the commander's tent.

"Ser Taiglox, as I live and breathe. You look like dog shite but still kicking, thank the Queen," Colonel Pacix greeted me as the scouts brought me inside, "Unbind her and restore her weapons. Fetch her water."

"Colonel Pacix, our mission to clear most of the tribes in the nearby grasslands was successful," I reported as I rebuckled my weapons belt and took a few belts of fresh clean water. "Further, upon reaching the horde itself in an attempt to scout numbers, twenty irregulars and I seized an opportunity to set a fire that killed many or most of the horde. Best guess is that they're at no more than half their numbers. Probably much less."

"Lieutenant Bascinax briefed the first," the Colonel took a deep breath as relief washed over her, "the second, well, that would change our position drastically. But it's not my call."

I nodded, fairly sure of what would be asked of me next.

"Can you keep riding? I'd rather send word from the horse's mouth, as it were."

My body wanted rest, but I knew it'd only be another day or two in the saddle. "I am a cataphract, ma'am."

She nodded in turn with a bare smile, "So you are. Take this squad of scouts with you and report to General Heoldax post haste," she gave another order to her second-in-command, "Major Whurix, prepare for decamping."

As we left the tent, the squad leader - the one who'd ordered me on my face and had me bound - spoke, "No offense meant, ma'am. I'm Sergeant Mitchux, 4th squad, 1st scout regiment, 5th division."

"None taken, Sergeant. I'd have done the same. Can I borrow a couple jennets though?"

"Ma'am, you can have a dozen if you like," she looked at me for a moment, "Ma'am, still meaning no offense, but you're not actually a knight?"

"I am. Of the Order Royal Indomitable and by the Queen's own hand no less," I chuckled, "But you heard me. I'm a cataphract first and I don't assume horses."