The Argive Ch. 006-010

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, it's a little more complicated than that," he said finally.

She gave him a small smile. "Why is that?"

"Astara!"

She nearly jumped when her name was called. Across the way, her father had emerged from the other side of the wagon and was now waving her in his direction.

"It's probably time for me to sleep," she said, nodding in his direction. "I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Of course," replied Praxis. "Looking forward to it."

She gave him another small smile, one that he found he never wanted to look away from again. Astara made her way to the wagon, leaving him alone at the fire briefly.

He wasn't alone for long. Her father made his way toward him, sitting down next to him and warming his hands by the flame. Astara's father was a stern-looking man. He had just a few too many extra pounds around the midsection, evidence of his wealth, but there was something peculiar about him that Praxis couldn't quite figure out.

"I thank you for saving my daughter today," said the father, his voice gruff and to the point. "If you weren't there, she might have been taken by the brigands."

"You don't need to thank me," replied Praxis. "I wouldn't let anything happen to her."

Astara's father gave him a long, searching look. It was a look that made Praxis uncomfortable, only because he thought he was being secretly scrutinized.

"My daughter has a future already," he said, squinting his eyes at him. "I thank you for rescuing her today but don't get any ideas about where that might go. She's promised to another."

His words were sharp and they didn't sit well with Praxis.

"Don't you think she has the right to say who she marries?" he asked. "From the little that I've talked with her, Astara sounds like a capable and intelligent girl."

Her father glared back at him. And his next words left no doubt of his fury.

"Stay away from my daughter, foreigner. By tomorrow morning, I want you away from my family. Do not make me ask you this twice."

With those final words, her father sat up from the fire and moved closer to the rest of his family near the wagon, leaving Praxis thoroughly confused.

Any chance with Astara was almost certainly over.