The Argive Ch. 071-075

Story Info
Praxis encounters the king of thieves.
9.8k words
4.8
4.8k
8

Part 15 of the 28 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 07/10/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,490 Followers

Chapter 71: Fire and Water

Praxis was momentarily frozen in fear.

He didn't know what to do. At that very moment, one of the bandits had a spear pointed directly at Lysandra's exposed back. Any wrong move could see her life snuffed away in the blink of an eye.

"Drop your weapons now!" repeated the bandit while pushing the spear against her harder. "I'm not going to tell you again! Drop the weapons or this redheaded bitch gets a trip to Hades. Your choice."

"Don't hurt her," said Zenais, surprising Praxis with her concern. "We don't mean you any harm."

The bandit actually started to cackle. "Yeah, like you could dome harm. You're almost as pretty as she is! That sword looks a little big for you, sweetheart."

Before anything else could happen, Praxis heard the sound of voices. The rest of the thieves were coming back, driven by the sound of their compatriot's voice.

"Well, look what we have here!" grunted one of them as he stepped behind Praxis. "It looks like Phemius has found us some fresh meat!"

"Phemius, you were going to share, won't you?" asked another. "You know how much I love blondes!"

"That's for the king to decide," growled Phemius as he placed his foot against Lysandra's head. "Weapons, damnit! I'm tired of asking! Do it now!"

"Okay, okay," replied Praxis as he grabbed his sword. "Just don't hurt her and you can have them."

"You don't give the orders here, we do," replied Phemius. "Toss your shield down too."

While Praxis was busy disarming, Zenais was doing the same. Except, she was going much more slowly than he was. The other men weren't watching her as closely as they were Praxis, no doubt thinking she wasn't as much of a threat, and that's why they were all surprised by what she did next.

She turned and bolted into the night.

"Hey! Get back here! You stop right now, you stupid twat!"

Zenais sprinted just about as fast as her legs could go. Her split-second head start was enough to ensure she got out ahead of the men, and her knowledge of the terrain ensured that she stayed ahead of them.

She was gone before they could admit defeat.

"Horn of Hades, you fools let the blonde go! I ought to slit all of your throats!" replied the man that was the leader of the group, a man who Praxis soon figured out was called Ismenios. "The king isn't going to be pleased by this!"

"It's fine, Ismenios! We still have the redhead," replied Phemius as he pulled Lysandra to her feet. "One cunt is better than none!"

"We could have hadtwo cunts," growled Ismenios. "The king will hear about this. And he will know about your failure to capture her."

They continued to bicker amongst themselves while Praxis tried to figure a way out of this. Zenais showed no signs of coming back, and he doubted he'd ever see her again with how quickly she took off.

That meant it was just him against ten men, all the while they held Lysandra's life in the balance.

Not great odds to say the least.

Praxis considered trying to outrun them but he knew that any delay that came from freeing Lysandra would inevitably work against them.

He was out of time and out of numbers.

"Okay, let's move out," replied Ismenios. "I'm tired and ready to start drinking, and we're still a ways from the hideout!"

"What are we going to do with him though?" asked one of the bandits, pointing at Praxis. "We going to kill him?"

Ismenios walked over to where Praxis was and appraised him carefully. He looked down at the discarded shield at his feet and picked it up.

"This is a nice shield for a peasant," said Ismenios with a sneer. "You rob this off of another man?"

"I earned it with my fighting prowess," replied Praxis coolly. "Which you're about to see for yourself."

"Is that right? Then I don't feel so bad about doing this."

With one smooth motion, Ismenios whipped the shield back and brought it crashing against Praxis' face. At that moment, Praxis was knocked to the ground as his head exploded with pain. He felt his hands reaching up to touch the area where he was hit and felt an instant, wet warmth.

Blood. His blood.

"That should take care of our new friend here," replied Ismenios as he walked away. "Come on, let's go! Bring the redhead and let's move out!"

The last thing Praxis heard before he lost consciousness was Lysandra screaming his name.

*****

It was the feeling of something trickling down his face that made Praxis awaken the next day. He put his fingers to his forehead, expecting to pull them away and see his own blood but to his surprise, there was only water there. He could feel the crusty mess that the blow from his shield produced the night before but the rest of the blood was gone. Why?

As soon as he sat up, the pain hit him. His head felt like it was literally being pulled apart by the gods, so splitting was the sensation that the wound produced. It got so bad that Praxis felt like he couldn't see straight for a moment, and that was why he missed the fact that he wasn't alone.

"I'd say good morning but then again that wouldn't be entirely accurate today."

Praxis turned around to see that Zenais was with him. She was casually sharpening the blade of her sword, only pulling her eyes up to look at him every few seconds. Near her feet were the remains of several strips of cloth, all of it stained with blood.

"You might be able to guess but I cleaned your wound this morning," said Zenais. "They really got you pretty good. I'm guessing it still hurts."

Praxis groaned as he held his head. "No, it feels wonderful. What gave it away?"

Zenais rolled her eyes. "Typical of men not to admit when they're in pain."

"It was a joke, Zenais. Obviously I'm in pain. My head feels like an army just used it for target practice."

"It must not feel that bad if you're still capable of humor," she grumbled. "Although, you did manage to let them get away with Lysandra."

"I managed to let them get away?" he growled, hopping to his feet. "Perhaps it wouldn't have happened if someone didn't run away at the first sign of trouble."

Zenais shrugged. "We couldn't have won a battle with our odds the way they were. Running was the best thing for us to do. I'm surprised I didn't hear your footsteps behind me."

"You'd think I'd just abandon Lysandra? She's like a wife to me. You have no idea the kind of things we've been through."

"I'm just saying that a big, strong man like yourself ought to have been able to save your wife."

"Now, listen here," growled Praxis, jumping to his feet. "We were doing just fine before you came along. It was your campsite that caused us to be discovered. More than likely, they were looking for you. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this King's Band and we've been drawn into your mess."

Zenais pursed her lips. "Maybe it was the racket that you made gathering firewood that led them to us. Do you always blame someone else for your mistakes?"

"Fuck this," barked Praxis. "This isn't worth it."

He began to gather up his things, at least what was left of them. His sword, shield, spear, and cuirass were all missing but then again, that wasn't exactly a surprise.

What was a surprise was that Zenais appeared to be readying herself to leave as well. He shot her a scowl once he noticed it.

"What are you doing?"

Zenais shrugged. "Going with you, of course."

"Of course? Why of course? There's no reason for us to mingle any more than we already have."

She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "And what do you plan to do about Lysandra?"

"Rescue her, of course."

"With no weapons? No shield? No armor?"

Praxis growled. "I'll figure something out. I won't leave her to suffer in the hands of those bandits."

"You need my help," said Zenais. "I have an extra sword that you can use. Two swords are better than one."

Praxis eyed her spare sword warily. "Why should I trust you? What faith do I have that you won't bolt at the first sign of trouble again?"

She rolled her eyes. "This is land that I know very well. I know where those bandits hide and I know their approximate strength. Like it or not, youneed me."

"I don't need anything. The only thing I need is to get Lysandra back."

Zenais actually smiled. "Then we're after the same purpose."

That statement only served to make him more irritated. "Why do you even care? Lysandra isn't a lesbian! There is no scenario where she ditches me for you. You know that, don't you?"

"Just like all men to put words in the mouths of their women," scoffed Zenais. "I'll let Lysandra make that decision, thank you very much."

"You're fucking delusional," grunted Praxis.

"And you're a stubborn mule," she retorted. "But like it or not, we're better off working together. I have some skills with a weapon, as you're quite aware."

Praxis regarded her coldly. He already didn't care for Zenais for many reasons, chiefly the way she ran from trouble but also because of her pursuit of Lysandra. But he couldn't deny that she was proficient in how she speared that deer the night before. He could always use her help and send her on her way if she proved to be more trouble than she was worth.

She did have one point though--two swords were better than one.

"Fine," grumbled Praxis. "You can come with me to free Lysandra."

"So happy to have your permission," she replied sarcastically.

"But let's get one thing straight," he continued. "We work as a team. That means not running away without the other person knowing beforehand. That means coordinating together. That also means cool it with the insults. We might not have to like each other but we have to work together. Got it?"

"I can set my ego aside very easily," replied Zenais. "Can you?"

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself."

"And if I am worried about you? What then?"

Praxis glared at her. "We're already bickering and we haven't even left the campsite yet."

At least that statement seemed to knock some sense into Zenais. She took a deep breath and tossed her sword to him. "Very well. Come on, we have a lot of ground to cover and not long to do it. Let's get moving."

"Gladly," grumbled Praxis. He grabbed his things while Zenais did the same. She pointed him toward the south, where there was a ragged patch of mountains that looked especially foreboding.

"Follow my lead," said Zenais, stressing each word while she said it. The message back to him was crystal clear--Zenais was in charge.

What kind of mess had he gotten himself into?

Chapter 72: The Hideout

"There they are," whispered Zenais. "Their hideout. The stomping grounds of the King's Band. Formidable, isn't it?"

Praxis and Zenais had spent most of the day traveling south, entering the foreboding mountains where the Band made their home. It hadn't been an easy trip by any stretch of the imagination, mostly because Zenais was every bit as stubborn as he was.

Twice during their journey, they'd started yelling at each other, disagreeing about which path to take. By late afternoon, Praxis was already starting to regret his decision to let her help him.

At least she managed to bring him to the hideout. And their position on a ledge above the hideout gave them a bird's eye view of what was beneath.

"See? There's no way you could have taken them on your own," said Zenais. "There's just too many of them and they are in a great defensive position. You would've died minutes into the fight."

Praxis shot her a brief glare, but even he couldn't deny it was a great position. The hideout of the Band was located on a small plateau that was hooked into the side of the mountain. Only one path led to the plateau and it was extremely narrow, only large enough for two people to walk through it at once. All the other sides of the plateau were steep enough to prevent any surprise attacks so all the Band had to do was guard the path and they would be safe.

And in terms of numbers, Zenais had been accurate with what she told him. There were approximately thirty of the Band down below, and most of them appeared to be serious fighters.

The worst thing about the entire reconnaissance was that he located Lysandra quite easily. Her hands and feet had been bound together to restrict her movement, but that was hardly needed at this time. She didn't even look conscious from this vantage point.

"We're going to have to get very creative if we're going to get her out there," said Praxis. "There are so few weak points so we have little room for error. Horn of Hades, this is going to be tough."

Zenais elbowed him in the side gently. "See that man with the beard? All the way on the far side of the ledge? Near where Lysandra is?"

Praxis saw him all right. The man was close to forty judging by his appearance and he moved like someone that was used to fighting and doing it often. If he had to take a guess, the man was probably the best fighter in the entire Band.

"That's the king of the Band," replied Zenais. "I've seen him before, even closer than we are now. It's because of him that the Band is as deadly as it is. He's expanded it to this current size and they're the terror of this corner of Arcadia."

"What's his name?" asked Praxis. "Anything special that I should know about him?"

"He goes by the name King Archimedes. And yes, he is quite a warrior. You have to be, to be the king of the entire Band. The only way they get promoted is by the death of the man above them. The leaders of all the bands are the oldest members, only answerable to the king. The only way they can take the kingship is with his death, no matter how that's caused."

"So if I had to take a guess, he can die in battle or by their own hand," replied Praxis. "Either way, that's how someone would get promoted to the kingship?"

Zenais nodded. "Quite a few stories about able band leaders turning on their kings in order to take their place. From what I've heard Archimedes did the same to the previous king. It's just their way of life. They are savage people."

"Savage they might be, but they still have Lysandra," replied Praxis. "We need to figure out the best way to rescue her. I say we wait until they're all sleeping. We come down off the mountain, snatch Lysandra and sneak out before they even know what's happening."

To his surprise, Zenais started snickering.

"What is the damn problem?" he growled.

Zenais shook her head. "That's a stupid idea. We so much as step on someone down there and he'll raise the alarm with the entire Band. Then we'll be trapped with nowhere to go. No, the best course of action is to wait until the individual bands go out every morning. Most of these thirty will depart to do their raiding, leaving only the king and a chosen group. Our odds will be much better at that point."

"Yeah, leaving only the best fighters in broad daylight," quipped Praxis, looking at her funny. "That seems like such a better plan."

"I thought you'd see it my way."

"That was a joke, Zenais. That plan sounds terrible."

She planted her hands on her hips indignantly. "It's a much better plan than yours, thank you very much."

"Not as good as waiting until nightfall," replied Praxis.

They both continued to bicker for the better part of ten minutes before Praxis had finally had enough.

"We're not getting anywhere with all this fighting! Let's at least find a place to set up camp for the night and we can discuss this more.

Zenais scoffed. "Fine by me."

They moved away from the hideout but stayed on the same mountain. Praxis found a small spot on the north side that offered good cover and wouldn't be easily found by anyone else. It was here that they settled down for the evening, both of them looking at the other likethey were the reason Lysandra hadn't been rescued yet.

Conversation was nearly nonexistent until the moon came out, at which point Praxis decided something had to give.

"Listen, I'm willing to do it your way," he said quietly, which seemed to shock her. "But we need to work together, Zenais. Despite the fact that we agreed not to squabble this morning, we've done nothing but squabble. This isn't helping Lysandra at all."

Zenais looked like she was going to challenge that statement but she caught herself and let out a deep breath.

"You're right," she said grudgingly. "I'm... sorry. We can try a night raid if you really feel strongly about it."

"No, you have a point," said Praxis, gesturing to the moon. "It's barely visible tonight. There wouldn't be enough light to guide us through the dark. We should do your plan instead. It isn't as risky."

Zenais actually smiled at him. "Well, thank you. Look, we don't need to be at each other's throats. It might help if we try to learn a little about each other. Maybe some common ground will help us not want to fight so much."

"Common ground," replied Praxis, thinking aloud. "Okay, I guess. First question, have you always been a lesbian? Or was it just your experience with men that caused it to be that way?"

"Mostly, that's the case," replied Zenais stiffly. "I've always found the softness of women to be appealing, even before what happened to me with that man. There's something about a great pair of tits that just mesmerizes me."

"Well, at least we have that in common," joked Praxis which caused her to laugh.

In the process, her laughing caused her own tits to bounce, something that Praxis watched out of the corner of his eye.

"I suppose we do," replied Zenais. "I just find that most women let me be in charge. Or they're willing to let me take control. Men don't do that. They all think I'm just some virgin waiting to be conquered. They think I'm some kind of dainty flower."

Praxis gestured to her all of her armor and weaponry. "I don't know how anyone would make that mistake."

"You did it," accused Zenais. "When we first met. I saw your eyes on me. After you saw me the first time, you looked all over my body. You were thinking it too."

"I think I was more surprised that someone like you stole my dinner," replied Praxis.

Zenais frowned. "What do you mean someone like me?"

"I just mean someone who looks like you," he answered, struggling for words. "You're not an ugly girl, Zenais."

She gave him an annoyed look. "I'm not an ugly girl? That's the worst compliment I think I've ever heard."

"Okay, fine. You're quite attractive. Beautiful even. Satisfied?"

Zenais smiled again. "Very much so. And for what it's worth, you're not ugly either."

"Gee, thanks," replied Praxis.

"I mean it. You're good-looking enough. You know, for a man," she added, almost as an afterthought. Zenais looked away for a moment.

"Well, at least we can agree that Lysandra is beautiful," replied Praxis after that moment of silence.

Zenais closed her eyes as she smiled. "That she is. Is she as good in bed as she looks? I've heard wild stories about redheads."

"Even better," replied Praxis. "But it helps when there are feelings there. The sex becomes better when she's someone you care for, not just a one night stand."

Zenais stiffened a little. "I wouldn't know too much about that. Most of my encounters are only for a single night. I've been a little short on long-term lovers."

"Why is that? I would think a woman like you wouldn't have a lack of potential lovers."

Zenais pursed her lips. "It's my lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem finding women. That's always been the easy part. It's the fact that I move around constantly that they don't like. As soon as they see that I'm not about to settle down and spend forever with them, they're gone."

"Is it the forever part that does you in?" asked Praxis. "Are you hesitant to commit?"

Zenais thought about the question for several moments before she finally replied.

"I don't know. Committing to one person is probably something I've avoided most of my life. I don't like being that vulnerable. I also like having a little variety with my partners. Being with just one of them would get old if you ask me."

CJMcCormick
CJMcCormick
2,490 Followers