The ARK Pgs. 01-30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lexi's daydream was broken when the office door was opened. Doby and Lexi were greeted with a joyous, I am happy every Morning smile and acknowledgment from their boss Art Damani. "Good morning to you both; how's my favourite pair this wonderful morning" Art lifted his head and took a big whiff of the air.

"Omg, crusty bagel with salmon and cream cheese... smells so good," Art said, euphoric.

"I thought you are allergic to seafood, Art?" Lexi quizzed

"I am, dear girl, but I do love the smell of it. I'd love to hoe into a nice piece of fish from Australia, but the damn things always trying to kill me ... it's very rude," Art let out one of his weird cackles. "What excitement do you have to report this morning?" Art questioned.

"I am happy to report we are three weeks ahead of schedule on an overall front," Doby informed. "We had an issue with inferior cabling that is being built into the fencing matrix; I have sent a memo to Ab,"

"Thank you, Doby, and what of our wall Lexi" Art turned to Lexi; Art was, in fact, talking about their complex computer firewall that would stop any outside hacking into the Ark.

"My parts is done; it's in Doby's hand now to turn it into 0 and 1s," Lexi said proudly. With all the technology available at her fingertips from AZTECK, she developed a spiral wall block that runs by a mathematical algorithm and changes from a rubric cube to a sequence of time frames worldwide. But, of course, nobody was getting through this. Well, technically, that's not true, as she informed Art from the start. She told him that nothing was impregnable given time. His best defence was the old shell game, with putting one shell under three cups and spinning them around, then trying to find the pea. Even if you got through it, you then face all the specific nano security with the spiral wall. So by that time, a hacker could even get through the first spin of the volute wall, the Hub would know there's a hacker and lead their link to a false or empty database. The plan was brilliant. Art and Ab loved it.

"How long before you can run the test drive, Doby?" Art enquired

"Three days," Doby said

"Put aside all your other work and hand over what you can to Lexi and have it up and running in two; our schedule has been moved up...!"

Before Art could inform Lexi and Doby of what was behind the schedule change, he heard footsteps coming down the hallway, the footsteps of Ab. Although Art was sensitive to his environment and the people around him, anyone could tell these were the stomps of an unhappy camper. Art already knew what Ab wasn't happy about, as he had sent a memo to him and the head of the African division about the reason for the schedule change.

Three steps before the door to the Hub, Ab started his complaints, "No, No, No, No Way are we doing this!" Lexi and Doby were taken aback by Abs manor. It's not that they haven't seen Art and Ab argue before. On one occasion, they exited the elevator on the hub floor arguing, walked through the Hub, and down towards the computer terminals arguing without missing a beat. But whatever it was, Ab was definitely not a fan.

"Father, are you mad? we can't do this!" Art looked at Ab and tipped his head towards Lexi. Ab turned and had clearly forgotten they weren't alone.

"My apologies, Lexi and Doby; how are you both this morning?" Ab enquired

"A lot better than you, so it seems Ab," Lexi said, a little bemused; Lexi didn't fluster easily.

"Yes, I am sorry, this memo, this ...!" Ab paused and looked at Lexi and Doby, "He hasn't told you yet, has he?" Ab enquired

"No, I was waiting till you got here before I informed them," Art informed them.

Ab took the opportunity to get in first. "Father wants to invite the President to be the first to try our game hunting reserve,"

"What, the President of Somalia???" Doby enquired astonished

"The President of the United States!" Ab stated emphatically.

"WHAT? Well, that isn't happening," Lexi added

"See, father, I'm not the only one against it,"

"No, that's not what I mean. Art can invite whomever he wants to the reserve. But the protocols involved to move the President of the United States of America out of the USA are huge. To come to a war-torn area of Africa where they hate Americans, they won't let him come, sorry, Art," Lexi informed them all.

"Well, it won't matter then, so there's no need to worry."

Ab turned and looked at his father "OMG, you've already sent him an invitation, haven't you?",

"It should be at the Whitehouse in two days, but you have all stated it won't happen, so there is nothing to worry about ... is there!"

CHAPTER 7- THE INVITATION

2 DAYS LATER

"Calli, get this out straight away."

"Yes, sir." "Coming through,"

"Whoa, watch where you're going,"

"Has anyone seen the Chief of staff? He's not in his office,"

"I think he's with the President."

On its best days, it's like a beehive; everyone is busy, everyone knows their job, and even though there are so many people around, everyone just flows around each other, and no traffic is halted.

That is the view of one of the female executives from the Whitehouse west wing media section.

Then there are days like this morning when the lift opens, and you see a Monster truck revving up to make a run for the oval office, to get in the way, was to be run over and destroyed. This morning the Monster truck was the head of the CIA, Director Damian Spelling. As he exited the elevator, he had a fixed look in his eyes, 'dare to get in my way' and lookout. As he stomped his way down the hallways, he had staffers diving for cover; one poor young intern came in contact with him as he came out of an office, papers went flying everywhere. Spelling stopped briefly, looked at the intern, snorted, stepped on the documents, and continued. The intern stood there waiting for an apology that wasn't coming.

As Spelling reached the oval office door, a Secret Service officer stepped towards him and politely informed him,

"The President is with the Chief of Staff at the moment, sir."

"They are both going to want to hear what I have to say, son." At that, he brushes past the secret service officer and barges through the door. The officer follows just in case the President wants him removed. The officer hoped he got the chance to remove him; he never liked Spelling, always walking around like he was more important than the President.

Spelling started his rant once he had entered the room. "No Way, No Way, Are we going to accept this invitation!" Spelling bellowed.

The Secret Service officer leaned around Director Spelling and looked at the President. "Sir?" he enquired with a head tilt towards Spelling.

"It's fine, Thomas; Mr. Spelling obviously has something important to say," the President informed him. On that, the officer turned and went back to his post.

"Damian, I don't know if I will ever get used to you getting a copy of my mail the same time as I get it?" the President enquired.

"We can't accept this invitation, to go to Somalia, to hunt robots; that's insane!" Spelling said in a 'You know I'm right' voice.

"Actually, it sounds like fun. Did you get an invitation too? You said we???" the President said in a tone-it-down voice. This President, for all the press natter about being too nice, that wasn't the case behind the Oval Office doors, he wouldn't be spoken down to. That would be disrespecting the job and the office. He had the patience and the fortitude of Washington and the charisma of JFK, which made him the most popular President since JFK. He encouraged reasonable discussions among political parties to sort out issues that actually helped the American people, all of them. James Edwin 3rd seemed the complete package in his first term in office.

Spelling continued, "You know what I mean, James." The President tilted his head down and looked over his glasses at the director of the CIA. "Sorry, Mr. President," Spelling corrected himself.

"How are things in Somalia since Mr. Damani and his ARK moved in?" The President inquired of the CIA chief.

"At this point, stable,"

"And what of their relationship with Ethiopia?",

"Stable, at this point," the chief responded.

"What did you find out about how Mr. Damani got these 2 countries to sign a peace agreement?" But, then, feeling inadequate, Spelling had to admit they had not found evidence of what he offered the two presidents.

"Nothing, as far as we have been able to confirm, there is evidence he only met them face to face once,"

"Once, how is that possible, the United States and UN have been trying for fifteen years, and now things are stable" The chief of staff finally decided to enter the conversation.

"In eight months, their economy has thrived, AZTECK has invested a lot of money into the country, unemployment is down. There are new hospitals and Red Cross centres. Their protected by the same people that stole their relief and drove them out of the country",

"How long before we could arrange to go, if we intended to do it?" The President asked his chief of staff, "At least six months to be able to put everything in place, Mr. President,"

"I really think America needs to be a part of this before someone else steps in," the President said.

"Both of you, look into what needs to be done to accept his invitation. Damian, start digging what you can find out about Mr. Damani and his ARK, but I want this done stealthily. I know the risks of going there, so let's go in and out before anyone knows I've been. Linwood organise a trade embargo team but don't tell them when we're going. Draw up a plan, we will organise a meeting in two weeks to discuss it and any problems",

"Yes, Mr. President," The chief of staff agreed.

"This is madness, but yes, Mr. President" on that, the two men turned and left the office.

The President turns slowly and looks at his head of the Secret Service Chad Langdon, who was quietly standing in the corner taking it all in.

"Do you like to hunt Chad?" the President asks him

"It's been a while, Sir, but I hope it is only robot animals we have to deal with,"

"Me to Chad, me too."

CHAPTER 8-_ART and HIS MORNING WALK

As fresh a morning air as Art had ever smelt, a light breeze blew the fragrance of Jasmine on the air. The view was spectacular from on top of the air pad at the top of ARK mountain, which they had grown to call it. Sweeping plains with contrasting rocky mounts and thick jungle outcrops, this area had it all. Art liked to start his morning walks from here; the view and fresh air cleared the mind in some kind of funky African Zen thing. So each morning, he would randomly pick a path to take him somewhere in the park. This morning it was straight down the service road and the animal hospital. Unfortunately, all the compounds for the ARK aren't completed. They won't be for over 12 months, even with the big push. So there is a lot of pressure on the staff and animals due to the small confinements.

A month had passed, and there had been no word from the Whitehouse about Art's invitation for the President. The only response was a polite return message from his office staff, thanking him for the letter and stating that, as you can imagine, the President is very busy and would get back to me as soon as possible.

Art heads to the top of the Ark, through the hub, and goes out onto the road outside. As usual, when he's outside, he has his bodyguards LOKI and THOR his first two robotic animals, a large Bengal Tiger and a large Black Panther, both equipped with the latest AZTECK research. After the 'pussy cat' event at the Detroit expo, both animals had their emotion sensors turned on and tested with exceptional results. Their ability to sense people's moods and behaviours by several visual and other sensors was incredible. Art sometimes forgets that they are robots because of their behaviours. They are still set in a protection mode for Art and Ab with a non-lethal response (which can be overridden quickly by Art and Ab); there really wasn't any need for other security while they were in the Ark grounds.

Art kept a steady pace to get some kind of exercise; there hasn't been a lot of me-time or family time since the Ark got underway; he made a mental note to arrange a day out with Ab. Art was rounding a bend when Loki bounced a few steps in front of him as his sensors picked up someone ahead. Art looked up from Loki to see Tyson Lumming, head of the bio-engineering section doing some stretches. Tyson was the brains behind how everything works or doesn't work with the robotic animals. It's Tyson's job to make the animals as close to authentic as possible to coexist with the real animals while adding the tech needed to protect them. First, he had to know animal structures and then be able to engineer the mechanical parts to work efficiently. Tyson is an extremely hard worker and loves to do testing from his balcony above the food mall. Swooping with robotic eagles and hawks on poor Mrs. Sanders, the kitchen head. She one day came running into the men's room, bashing on the cubicle door to complain to Art about savage birds attacking her as she works.

Tyson waved, "Good morning, Art."Tyson, who built Loki and Thor, knew that a happy response and wave would put the boys on a non-defensive pattern. As he programmed both the animals, both the boys went back to their formation of one on either side of Art.

"Good morning, Tyson, out for a morning run," Art enquired with an obvious statement.

"Yes, couldn't miss it; what a beautiful day outside," Tyson said

"Magnificent, good to be alive day ... well, all those days are" Art started laughing at his own humour, and Tyson joined him.

"Just clearing some cobwebs!" Art added

"Me too. I thought a bit of fresh air might give some ideas of what to do about my eagle problem",

"Are you still having issues with that?" Art enquired

"Yes, fitting it all the tech in is the problem,"

"Why not make it bigger? I don't think anyone would object to a bigger Eagle",

"But that brings in a whole new set of issues, more power needed to fly, bigger motor, etc., etc. I will get there, morning walk, some coffee, and a good breakfast, and inspiration will miraculously arrive" Tyson started laughing.

"Well, we are so lucky to have you here, Tyson; all this is possible because of your excellent work. Well, I'll be off, have to keep moving before my body cools down...not that it's warmed up yet" Art started laughing at his own humour again. Tyson really liked Art, what he was doing here and how he has supported his work.

A sudden wave of guilt came across him as he thought about how he had been spying on him for the last 18 months for the CIA. He hasn't had much to report. His work keeps him busy, and he's not part of the inner circle, so his communications haven't had much to offer, apart from what's generally happening at the ARK.

Art continued on his morning stroll with Thor and Loki in tow. Finally, he heads to the bottom, where a significant service road can handle cars, trucks, and heavy movers. He marvels at the quality of the landscaping around. It looks like someone just carved a route through the jungle without disturbing anything, which is good, he thought, as that was part of his promise to the UN world heritage committee, that everything evolves with the natural surroundings. He turns and looks back at Mount ARK, "My God," he thinks; it really does look like a mountain or at least a massive hill.

Beep! Beep! An ARK lorry came driving past, and the driver waves to Art. He has some new releases of robotic animals on the back ready for patrol, two small lynx cats, four eagles, and one nasty looking Baboon; Art thinks if they look like the real thing, I better stay away from that enclosure, once again he marvels at how life-like they are. Art continues his run/walk/ stroll heading to the first of the nurseries and veterinary hospital. As he approaches, he can hear voices shouting, so do Thor and Loki; the boys take a defensive stance by moving two steps in front of Art. As Art approaches, he sees three men and a woman in a lab coat having a very heated argument outside the hospital.

"This is bullshit," said one man in a heavy African accent.

"This is all your fault, you fucking bitch, we need these jobs, we have family," said another man who one of the security guards was trying to restrain from getting to the lady in the lab coat. The woman in the hospital ground was none other than Dr. Sandra Smith, Chief veterinary surgeon.

"It's your own fault you were fired, now leave this area!".

Art calls out to try and defuse the incident, "May I be of assistance!", immediately everyone's attention is drawn to the voice.

At seeing Mr. Damani, the doctor and security guards feel a sense of relief with a person of authority coming to assist. Seeing the head of the ARK approaching, the irate man shrugs off the security guard. Seeing the boss approaching, the other looks to get in first to speak, before the security guards and doctor do. Instead, he decides to run to Mr. Damani to plead his case. Sensing an elevated heart rate and raised aggression level, both cats let out a roar, so real and so loud the approaching man stops so quickly, his feet go from under him, and he falls flat on his ass. "Probably not wise to run at me, my good fellow; get to your feet, please." The man arose and walked backwards towards the group. Art walked closer, and the boys retreated one step back towards Art; they were still one step in front of him because they sensed aggression.

"So, what is all the commotion about?" Art enquired. To get his opinion in first, the angry man, that fell on his butt, spoke out quickly; Art sensed straight away this man was a smooth one, shifty.

"Mr. Damani Sir, this woman wrongfully sacked us and won't give us a second chance; we have families to feed and bills to pay,"

"Dr. Smith, is this correct?" Art said

"Yes, and Yes, Mr. Damani, I did sack them, and I won't give them a second chance. They were both caught stealing, and both dismissed yesterday, most likely selling the drugs on the local black market," Dr. Smith informed Art.

"No chance you were mistaken?" Art enquired of her

"No, a hidden security camera caught them both. I can show you the footage if you like?"

"No, that is not needed. But, gentlemen, did you get paid the right wages and get paid on time?" Art enquired of the men. The big angry man that was scuffling with the security guard, sensing that this was not going to go their way, spoke up.

"This bitch, was riding our ass all the time, ever since we started,"

"All I expected from the both of you was for you to do the job you were being paid for," Dr. Smith informed them.

"So, you got paid on time, and you stole from your employer, seems it was justified, and I wouldn't offer second chances to people who steal drugs from me,"

"You're an asshole too, then!" the big man yelled, sensing his raised aggression level. Loki and Thor stared at the man and gave a guttural growl that put a chill even up Dr. Smiths' spine on how realistic it was, but it didn't seem to faze the big man. Art hears an electric car whine up behind him; he turns and sees four more security officers arrive.

One of the men was the head of security, Officer Jadyn Mukta. Art turns to address him, "Officer Muckta, could you escort these gentlemen off the premises. Inform the local police of their offences and possible black-market involvement. Also, I would like a paper on my desk this afternoon on how these gentlemen got onto this site. Since they had already been dismissed and how you are going to correct this flaw". Art decided he would head back to the office; this little distraction cleared his head quite well.

Unbeknown to Art, a pair of eyes watched the whole show from above; Tyson decided to hit the shower before starting his day.