The Ascent of the Angelic Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It seems like everyone is asking that question."

"There is logic to the query, is there not? Considering your age, that is."

"If I were to find a woman as beautiful as you, I would consider it myself. In the meantime, there's little reason to bring them into the world like this."

Mehira paused, then replied, "You do not trust that the angelic forces will be able to reclaim the world for you?"

"It's not that I don't, but we still need to manage on our own." That brought an interesting question to the forefront of his mind. "Will you be leaving then, when all of this is finished? You and the rest of the angels, that is."

"That seems likely, yes. I imagine many angelic principalities may appear to guide you back into proper lives and take our place as your protectors."

"And then?"

"And then you will be ready to reclaim the Earth and hold dominion over it, as intended from the very beginning."

"I understand the Lord is intensely forgiving, but I doubt we should be trusted yet again."

"Then what, dear Rhys? You wish for mankind to be extinguished?"

"I figured Armageddon would have already occurred."

"It is not His plan yet, thus it will not happen. Were humanity so irredeemably ruined as you believe, you would not be alive this very moment. Are you not proof enough that good exists in this world?"

"I would say you're more proof of that."

"Do not avoid the question," Mehira said firmly.

Rhys nodded. "Yes, I suppose you're right."

"As it should be." Mehira looked to him. "And my thanks for your compliments."

As they walked, Rhys looked out at all the abandoned buildings, imagining what they might've looked like at some point in the past. Most had already been stripped bare for what little resources they had, but some still held garish signs or the faint markings of what lettering used to proudly hang there. Perhaps the old world held some good, maybe even a lot, but it probably wasn't worth it for whatever they were living in now. Still, Mehira's words were most likely true. How was he to deny the words of an otherworldly being who dealt with the very sins brought forth into this world thanks to his kind?

Soon the encampments came into view, a swathe of large tents and disinterested people huddling together. "I think I can walk now," Rhys said, as much as he preferred otherwise. Mehira nodded and set him down, leaving him with a parting pat.

"What brings them here at such a distance? Why not remain with the town?"

"There's some... taboo to be seen with those personally affected by a demon. As if it were a curse." Rhys rubbed the back of his neck.

Mehira nodded slowly. "I see."

As they approached, a few of the people perked up and began walking toward the pair. No doubt brought on by the brilliance of an angel. Soon a small crowd formed around them, gawking only at Mehira. Rhys felt invisible, and for that, he was happy. While many stared, none spoke a word, at least not directly. Small mumbling occurred between them. Mehira only looked on. Rhys couldn't begin to imagine what she was thinking.

"And is there something needed from me?" Mehira said loudly.

The crowd fell silent. Only one person among them spoke up. "Will you bless us?"

Mehira looked about them, then unfurled her wings, bringing some awe to the group.

"Pray to the Lord, and you will be blessed." Some of them dropped to their knees on the spot and prayed. An extreme gesture, Rhys figured, but understandable to some degree. There were some sparse "thank yous" and nods, and just like that, the group dispersed. Rhys naturally remained at her side. Once they had all gone back to their spots, Mehira looked to Rhys. "Do you believe I did well?"

"Provided you blessed them," Rhys replied.

"While true, the presence of an angel is a blessing, it is not as though it feels as such to me." Mehira stared off at the departing people. "Perhaps it instills hope in them as well."

Rhys nodded. "I've been hopeful ever since I saw you," he replied. Somehow that felt embarrassing to say, but it was true.

"Is that so?"

12