The Autumn War Vol. 03: Defiance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now reunited with his flock, the male thanked Bluejay one last time, then headed off to rejoin the other refugees at the back of the hangar. His flock were treating him like he was made of glass now, guiding him towards a group of friends who foisted an MRE into his hands.

"We should go with them," Miqi said, leading her flock aside. "Our place is with our people."

"There is still much left to do, but we'll keep in touch," Xipa replied. "I'll see that the refugees are given suitable accommodations and that you're returned to your city at the earliest opportunity."

"I know you'll keep your word," Miqi added with a smile.

"In fact, I believe that the UNN shipped in reinforcements on several cruise liners," Xipa mused. "Perhaps I can have one of them jump in from Valbara. That would certainly be an interesting experience for someone who has been living in an old waste treatment plant for their entire life."

"If you say so," Miqi chuckled. She turned to face Bluejay, looking him up and down. "Keep track of this one for me, will you? I'd like to thank him properly when this is all over."

She gave him a flush of pink, then set off into the hangar, her flock following behind her.

"What was that about?" Bluejay asked, reaching up to fiddle with one of his antennae in a way that came off distinctly nervous.

"I think she's hitting on you," Fletcher said, giving him a nudge with a prosthetic elbow.

The team was finally alone again, standing on the deck of a hangar, the same way that they had started out. Not everything had come full circle, however. While Xipa had resented their presence when she had first met them, she now felt a pang of emotion at the prospect of parting ways.

"I suppose this is goodbye for now," Xipa said, turning to face them. "Once I make the appropriate arrangements for the refugees, I'll need to return to my flagship to resume my duties as Ensi. I won't need an escort anymore."

"I'll stick around until we get new orders or until you can convince Vos to give up my leash," Fletcher said. "Lord knows I need a hot shower and a change of arms."

"Ditto," Bluejay added, waving his stump. "I'd like to help keep an eye on the civilians until they're all settled in. This is going to be a very strange environment for them. Hopefully, one of the Jarilan ships can cook me up a replacement arm in the meantime."

"You're like a sheepdog, Jay," Fletcher chuckled. "You just can't shake that protective instinct, can you?"

"My offer still stands, Fletcher," Bluejay added as he glanced at the Earth'nay's damaged prosthetics. "I'm pretty confident that our medics can grow you a new pair of arms if you provide them with a suitable gene sample. The legs, too, if you want."

"I'll think on it," Fletcher replied, reaching down to rub his polymer wrist. "Having to relearn how to use my organics would be a bitch and a half, but I might end up having the time if my retirement plans pan out."

"The same goes for you, Ruza," Bluejay added as he turned to the towering feline. "If anyone can get your radiation sickness sorted out, it's the Jarilans. Just say the word."

"If nothing else, it will be enlightening to learn what medical advances your kind have made," Ruza replied. "I am sure that the admiral will want to debrief us when he has the opportunity. Until then, there are many here who might need treatment. Starting with you," he added, taking Gustave by the arm. "Come, I am taking you to the infirmary for a full checkup."

Trying to drag an uncooperative Krell'nay was like trying to move a mountain, Gustave emitting a mournful trill as he stood there stubbornly. He turned to his friends, leaning down to bring his enormous snout into range, bumping it into Fletcher's face. He did the same for each of them, nuzzling with his scaly nose, his massive nostrils blowing Ruza's hair. Perhaps it was some kind of Krell'nay goodbye.

"I will remain inside circle until Elders instruct me," he said, his translator interpreting his rumbling speech. "Besides," he added, slapping the deck with his heavy tail in a gesture that Xipa couldn't parse. "I left my gun behind."

"It sounds like we're all going to be reconvening very soon," Fletcher said with a wide grin.

Before he would cooperate with Ruza, Gustave reached for his armored collar, hooking his thumbs beneath his necklace. The assortment of shells and beads clattered as he lifted it over his head, the heavy, wooden pendant swinging back and forth. He brought it over Xipa's head, then realized that it was far too large for her, starting to spool the hairy rope into smaller coils that were more suitable for her slender neck. With all the gentleness of a child playing with a mouse, he lowered it down, Xipa feeling its weight settle about her shoulders.

"You're giving this to me?" Xipa asked, lifting the pendant to admire the strange rune that had been carved into its polished face. "You don't have to do that, Gustave!"

"Necklace carry deep meaning for my circle," he explained, the synthetic translation lagging behind his resonating speech. Xipa listened intently, certain that this was about to be the longest conversation Gustave had ever had with her. "Beads of glass and shells of lake," he continued, reaching down to run one of his massive claws across the marbles. "These arrangements - colors - bend fate, enhance strength. I made this, at my home," he continued as he patted his broad chest. He was trying so hard to make himself understood. "Ward of bullets will keep harm away."

"I think he just gave you a protection charm," Bluejay mused.

"Hell, even I can't make fun of that," Fletcher added with a shrug. "Nothing seems to be able to kill the fucker, so there's more evidence for than against at this point."

"What does this mean?" Xipa asked, pointing to the rune.

"Pendant is most important," Gustave replied, pausing for a moment as though considering how best to explain. "We carve a wish held most earnest into the wood. Mine, to find a male befitting my strength, one who would sire me a clutch of strong hatchlings."

"W-what?" Xipa stammered, cocking her head at him as her panels flashed a surprised yellow. "Gustave, did something get lost in translation, or did you just tell me you wanted to lay a clutch of eggs?"

"Wait, you're female?" Fletcher added as he popped open his visor in disbelief. "Come here, you giant lizard." He reached for the bulky translator that was wrapped around the Krell'nay's wrist, yanking it closer as he began to examine the display. He tapped at it, scrolling through its menus, of which there seemed to be many. "You had it on default settings!" he finally exclaimed, peering up at the confused reptile. "You're using the male voice option, you oversized iguana! Ruza!" he added, turning to stare accusingly at the Borealan. "Aren't you supposed to be a doctor? Didn't you notice that he wasn't packing?"

"It is almost impossible to tell their genders apart without close examination," he replied with a dismissive shrug. "They have very little sexual dimorphism, no external genitalia."

"Gustave, you never told us?" Fletcher asked. Bluejay was just laughing, apparently finding the entire situation very amusing. "You never corrected us?"

"You did not ask," the Krell'nay replied. "Not an important question."

"This explains why she's so strong," Xipa said, giving Gustave an approving smile. "Krell'nay embody the feminine virtues depicted in ancient carvings of Valbara'nay war deities - that's what I said to you when we first landed in the forest."

"You didn't know," Fletcher grumbled, crossing his arms in a huff. "They all look the same."

"I was still right," she chuckled. "Thank you," she continued, giving Gustave a pulse of grateful green and yellow. "This is a beautiful gift, and I'll treasure it."

Gustave bowed her head, gave Fletcher an amused huff, then finally deigned to cooperate with Ruza. The Borealan led her away into the hangar, the pair soon vanishing between the racks of equipment and the crowds of personnel.

"So, uh," Bluejay mumbled in an attempt to get their attention. "I guess that rune applies to you now."

"What do you mean?" Xipa asked, lifting the pendant to admire it again.

"Gustave wants you to find a male who will sire you strong hatchlings," he explained, glancing pointedly between Xipa and Fletcher. "It's not a coincidence that she decided to give it to you."

"Will you go find another baby to rescue or something?" Fletcher complained, shooing him away with a wave of his hand.

"What?" Bluejay chuckled, gesturing to his feathery antennae as he backed away. "I can pick up the scent of Betelgeusian pheromones at one part per million in atmosphere. You think I don't know that you two have been doing the horizontal chacha? I think you're perfect for each other, by the way. Am I getting invited to the wedding?"

"Go on, get!" Fletcher snapped.

"I'll see you guys later!" Bluejay said as he jogged off towards the group of refugees.

"Where is he even learning these phrases?" Fletcher complained, clearly more flustered than angry. "There are some bad influences on Jarilo. These Bugs need some better parenting."

"You're turning red again," Xipa said, smirking at him as he closed his opaque visor to hide his face. "We knew it wasn't going to be a secret for very long."

"Or at all," Fletcher scoffed. "Every other species seems to have the nose of a goddamned bomb-sniffing dog."

"I guess you should take that shower, then," Xipa said as she coiled her prehensile tail around his arm possessively. "I'll join you. Vos has plenty on his plate right now. He can wait while we get a change of clothes and a hot meal."

"For once, I don't mind making the admiral wait," he replied.

~CONTINUED IN VOLUME IV~