Azra-El Series Arc 2 Ch. 00

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How may I assist you, miss?" she asked, politely.

"I am here to apply to the Blazing Furies Society," she answered.

"Oh, you need not have come here in person, young miss. A simple letter of application, along with your details, would have sufficed," said the butler.

"I am from Tir, and I believe Aahna may want to speak with me," said Priscilla.

Though Priscilla had noticed Aahna a few times in Blaze's company at Tir, she had not come to know of her name until the tournament at D'Warka. The girl, through Headmistress Fiora, had sent her written analyses of several of Priscilla's opponents. Priscilla had never understood why she had done that, but they had proved helpful, more than once.

"If that is the case, please follow me. Ms. Aahna is currently in her study," responded the butler, inviting her in and leading Priscilla through the mansion.

Priscilla walked through the house, thinking that the Maitreyas were quite well off. The wooden furniture was exquisite, the paintings on the walls intricate and flawless, and the sculptures masterfully crafted; all of them depicting themes native to Aranya, from the tropical forests of the west, to the grasslands of the central plains, and the desert landscapes of the east, all teeming with wildlife native to Aranya. Temples, goddesses, and angels dressed in traditional Aranyan wrap-around clothes, inhabited the paintings.

The butler briefly knocked on Aahna's door and led Priscilla in, after hearing Aahna's response.

Aahna sat behind a massive mahogany desk, reading from a pile of papers. Plentiful natural light streamed in through a row of glass windows behind the desk. Her study was large and comfortable, with a crackling fireplace that kept the room at a cozy temperature. A massive, ten-foot bookshelf stood against the right wall, containing a diverse range of books.

Aahna set down the paper in her hand and looked up, only to be taken aback by Priscilla's presence.

"What are you doing here, Ms. Priscilla?" she asked, standing up.

"Can we speak in private?"

Aahna nodded to her butler, who quickly took her leave. She invited Priscilla to have a seat.

"I wish to join the Blazing Furies," Priscilla said, without dancing around the topic.

Aahna eyebrows immediately lurched upwards. "Have you been kicked out of the Malakim?" she blurted out.

"Ugh, no."

"Oh, you must be planning on leaving the Malakim, then?"

"What does this have to do with the Malakim? I thought this was a student society. Is it off-limits to the Malakim?" Priscilla asked, feeling a little annoyed. Maybe there was a reason to spy on this society.

"I am sorry," Aahna quickly recovered. "I spoke without thinking. You know how things are between Blaze and the Malakim. Moreover, your history with her is not exactly pleasant, either."

"Well, I wish to change that. Moreover, I do not believe that the relationship between Blaze and I is as bad as it once was."

"Do you still despise the pixies?" Aahna asked fervently.

Siofra had become a great friend of hers, and she was not willing to allow anyone who openly despised her into the Blazing Furies.

"I never despised the pixies... I only distrust them," Priscilla said, softly. It was hard for her to say those words. "As for Siofra Eoiwagn, I am willing to change my opinion about her."

Aahna was immediately swayed. There were two main reasons why Aahna respected Blaze and supported her with all her heart. One was her ability to acknowledge her mistakes and correct them, and the other was her willingness to see the best in people and give them another chance. Priscilla's words implied that she was trying to do the first, while asking them to extend the second towards her. So, she pulled out a VP and stood up.

"Please give me a moment," she requested, and stepped out of the room.

Priscilla assumed that she had left to speak with Blaze and expected them to take a while to discuss the issue. Therefore, she was very surprised when Aahna returned in under two minutes.

"Blaze wishes to speak with you," she said, setting the VP in front of Priscilla, and taking a seat behind her desk.

"Yo, Prissy!" Blaze's cloyingly enthusiastic voice greeted her from the VP.

His lackadaisical attitude towards her grated on her nerves, but she secretly found it charming.

"Hello, Ms. Blaze..." Priscilla sighed.

"Whatcha been up to? I hear that you've finally come to terms with my awesomeness and wish to follow me for all eternity."

"Fat chance, that," Priscilla rolled her eyes, "I only wish to join your silly society. That too because of the discounts you offer at the The Blazing Furies stores."

The Blazing Furies store was the luxury clothing branch of Blaze's company, overseen by Agatha and Medina. However, Blaze had a huge stake in the company, owing to his taking over of Baozhai Rong's shares.

"Are you sure? You don't have to lie, Prissy. It's a fact that most angels cannot resist my charm for too long."

It was Aahna's turn to roll her eyes. She never understood how Blaze could get away with being so silly with the most serious of angels.

"This was a mistake," Priscilla sighed. "Bye."

However, she made no move to leave, though she tapped her feet on the floor to make it seem like she was leaving. Aahna simply smirked at the gesture.

"Yo, wait up! No need to get your panties in a bunch. I was just kidding. Let's discuss this like sane people," Blaze said in a hurry.

"You are the only insane one, here," said Priscilla.

"You may be onto something, dear Prissy. Anyway, let's get to the point, as you seem to have no patience for fun."

"Please!"

"Priscilla," Blaze spoke, her voice suddenly turning serious, "it is no secret that the Malakim dislike me, and I shall not deny reflecting that sentiment. I have also never liked you, and as long as you dislike Siofra, that will not change."

"I understand," Priscilla sighed, surprised by the disappointment Blaze's words sparked in her heart. For some reason, she thought that Blaze had grown a little fond of her, though it made no sense, on deeper introspection.

"However," said Blaze, "there is no reason to not be civil towards each other, and I see no reason for you to not join the Blazing Furies. The only reason we dislike each other is because of our values and outlook towards life. If I reject your attempts at understanding my side, how will I ever convince you of it? So, you are welcome to join us, Priscilla, and I hope we will see each other in a better light in the future."

Priscilla was a little irked by his underlying implication that he was right and that she was wrong, but she could relate to his words, as she felt the same conviction towards some of her own beliefs.

Moreover, she wanted to say that she already saw him in a better light than he did her, but her pride did not allow her to speak those words. Instead, she muttered a simple, "Thank you."

"Also, tell me, did the Malakim send you as a spy?" he asked.

Priscilla was caught off guard by the suddenness of his question. "Er..." she floundered.

"Sorry, I should not have asked you that. It seems awfully obvious of them to do such a thing, or maybe that was the point. Either way, it does not matter. It is on me to show you the validity of my beliefs. If I accomplish that, I shall invite you to join 'The Order of Sky'. For now, welcome to the Blazing Furies. Aahna, please take care of the rest. I shall see you at some point, Prissy. Have a great day," he said, and cut the connection, without letting Priscilla say anything more.

On that day, Priscilla became a member of the Blazing Furies. She was even given a unique responsibility— to invite more Malakim into the society, and even manage them, if necessary. She didn't quite understand what was happening. Why would she do this if she realized that I am most likely a spy?

oOo

LE 638, 1st Sprout

Rachel Arianrhod and Tonya Falhoffnir stood on the edge of the training field of the "Bogatyr Lances", a Pegasi-legion posted at an HU army camp, near the town of Horlivka, Anjalhebo.

The two angels made an unlikely duo, in such a far-off place from their homeland. However, they did have a few things in common. They both loved Pegasi, they both dreamt of being Pegasi-knights, and both of their mothers served, or had served, as Pegasi-knight captains in the Cloud 9 division of the HU army at Aranya. They were currently waiting to meet Legate Devana Nikitich, daughter of the Supreme Bogatyr, Brynna Nikitich.

Six months ago, the two angels had accompanied Blaze on one of his "outreach" excursions to Anjalhebo. They had been quite excited to go with him, as the Anjalnebans were known for their skill on their sturdy and magnificent war-Pegasi. However, never in their dreams had they imagined that they would get to meet the Supreme Bogatyr.

Their group had been visiting the University of Prav, when the Supreme Bogatyr happened to drop by. Blaze obviously had to go and pay his respects to the famous warrior deity, and Tonya and Rachel had tagged along with him, just to get a look at the Bogatyr.

To Blaze's surprise, the Supreme Bogatyr had received him quite well. Anjalhebo was aligned with the Seraphim, who had supported the Malakim in their bid for Sky. However, it seemed that at least the Supreme Bogatyr did not hold anything personal against him.

"Good good," she said in a hearty and booming voice, as she stood towering in front of the young angel.

"You look quite sturdy," she said, placing her hands over Blaze's shoulders, "You will make a good warrior, and make your mother proud. Is this your little quetzal?"

Sky, who was usually quite cantankerous in front of new angels, cowered under the Bogatyr's piercing stare, and then proceeded to allow the Bogatyr to ruffle his feathers.

Brynna spent some time with Blaze, making casual conversation and asking him questions about what he planned to do with his life. Seeing the Bogatyr's genuine attitude towards him, Blaze answered as straightforwardly as he could. And right before they parted ways, he had made a request.

"Mon Brynna," he said, deferentially, "these two are my friends from Aranya. They both dream of being Pegasi-knights and are daughters of Pegasi-knight captains from the Cloud 9 division. Would you be kind enough to give them your guidance?"

"Cloud 9, ye? You look familiar, ivka. What is your mother's name?" she had asked Tonya.

"Claudis Falhoffnir, Sera," Tonya replied, as if she was also a soldier. "Sera" was a military word, similar to "Sir" from Earth.

Brynna's eyes widened and she turned to Blaze. "How did you two meet?"

"Min Claudis is my Pegasi-riding instructor at Tir. She is a great teacher and a kind angel."

"She was also a brave soldier. Very well," Brynna nodded. "I shall speak with my daughter. Maybe she can arrange something when she finds some time."

Thus, four months later, Tonya and Rachel had received summons to appear for a special training session at Anjalhebo. Neither of the angels had to think much about it and had immediately packed their bags and rushed to Anjalhebo.

Legate Devana, a tall and sinuous brunette of around a hundred-and-seventy years of age, led and watched over the drills of her soldiers, while they performed various types of charges and maneuvers. The two young angels simply watched the soldiers in wonder.

They were simple maneuvers, but they were being performed with the utmost efficiency and accuracy. The training went on for two hours before the legate called for a short break, and flew back to her makeshift tent, where Tonya and Rachel stood.

"You two are Tonya and Rachel from Aranya?" she asked them, seriously.

"Yes, Sera," the two responded in unison.

"I do not know why my mother cares about the two of you, but do not expect any preferential treatment from me. You will start as squires, and I shall judge your capabilities like any other soldier. Now, hurry along, and see if my soldiers need any help with their Pegasi or their armor," she said, roughly.

"Yes, Sera!" the two angels answered at the top of their lungs, before rushing towards the soldiers. This was exactly what they had wanted— real and uninhibited training. Unlike Blaze, they were not princesses, and had never expected to be treated like one. In fact, they were quite excited by the fact that they were going to be treated like real soldiers.

oOo

LE 640, 27th Sprout

It was a sunny, breezy, and pleasant spring morning in Aranya, and Rebecca and Jie Er lay sunbathing by the pool at Jie Er's cottage in Varan. Rebbeca had celebrated her 140th hatchday on the previous day, and that was not the only reason to celebrate.

Rebecca had sprouted her archangel wings the previous month, and she had subsequently been promoted to the rank of a Captain.

Rebecca becoming an archangel had not been as much of a surprise to everyone who knew her, as it had been to herself. She had always been a talented angel. In fact, most of her previous insecurities had come from being unable to defeat Jie Er, who she thought was a normal angel like herself.

Nevertheless, the most important reason for her growth had been the skirmishes that had become regular occurrences between the demons and the angels, along the borders of Aranya and Xian. As a part of the special forces, Rebecca had been regularly rotated into battle, and had consequently gained plenty of fighting experience, which naturally matured her anja and nirn. Moreover, even during her free time, she kept training with Jie Er; ever since she had come to the realization that Jie Er was an archangel, she had redoubled her efforts.

Thus, one evening, during an intense practice bout against Jie Er, Rebecca sprouted her arch-wings. They had celebrated that night, but the actual party was scheduled for Rebecca's birthday, especially as Blaze had been traveling, and they also wanted to invite Aurnia.

So, on her birthday, Rebecca's entire company, including her previous platoon, Blaze, and Aurnia had been present at the party that she and Jie Er had hosted on the previous day.

It had been a merry event. However, now, both the hostesses were tired, and simply wished to laze about, and enjoy the sun and the late-afternoon breeze.

Aurnia was currently taking a nap in Rebecca's room, and Blaze was off to play a game of Flyball with the kids from Varan. Sky and Splash were away on their own hunting trip.

Rebecca turned over on her chaise to look at Jie Er, who glanced at her with warm and loving eyes. Heat surged in Rebecca's body. She simply adored the angel beside her and watching her beautiful blue eyes direct such warmth towards her, lit up her entirety.

She reached out to take her hand and placed it under her cheek, before looking straight into her eyes and muttering, "I love you, Jie Er."

Color immediately bloomed in Jie Er's cheeks. It was not the first time Rebecca had uttered those words, but it was only recently that she had begun to realize that Rebecca meant them as more than simple, platonic love. Despite the existence of the Kindred, and the Chayot society, romantic love was something that only existed in the far corners of angelic psyche— it was the stuff of bohemian and dramatic novels.

So, every time Rebecca uttered something similar, Jie Er became flustered, making Rebecca say it even more often. She loved watching the perpetually-composed angel blush like a little ina.

Unable to resist, Rebecca leaned forward to plant a kiss, first on Jie Er's rosy cheeks, and then on her pink lips. However, the flutter of a large bird's wings made her pause for a second. She continued, knowing that it was just Sky and Splash, returning from their hunt, but Jie Er suddenly sprang up on her chaise and rushed towards the bird, who had landed in the clearing made for him, in the middle of their front yard.

Rebecca glanced up to see a bloodied five-foot Quetzal, proudly grinning at his angel mother. Rebecca's consequent reaction mirrored Jie Er's. Sky was a big bird, now, almost as heavy as Blaze, though not as tall. So, she could not understand what creature in the grasslands could hurt the Quetzal to such an extent. The only creature she could think of was a Xenodon, but the Quetzal would not be alive if he had tousled with one.

"What have you two gotten yourselves into?" Jie Er scolded, fussing over Sky's rumpled feathers, and searching for cuts and bruises.

Splash suddenly jumped off Sky's back and zipped towards Rebecca, faster than ever. It had always been a matter of mirth to her that Splash was the real FAQR.

The otter jumped into her arms, and Rebecca immediately noticed the bleeding claw marks. Poukai! she deduced. A single poukai had no chance against Sky, but a flock of them could even kill an adult angel.

Splash raised her tiny little paws and displayed them with pride. Rebecca immediately noticed the sky-blue, cloud-like designs around her paws, and gasped.

Energy beings could only consume energy beings, and most plants and animals had a condition that they needed to fulfil to become energy beings. This condition was dependent both on the type of the creature, and the type of "evolution".

For example, angels domesticated chicken as a source of food. However, for a chicken to become an energy-being, its condition was to fly like a true bird, not merely jump from one tree to another. Out of a hundred chickens on Azra-El, maybe one had the chance to become an energy-chicken.

These chickens could then be consumed or raised for their eggs. However, their eggs were sterile. All energy-beings, except sentients, could not reproduce. The only way for an energy being to reproduce was to have a conscious connection with the world-energy, which most creatures could not.

Until that morning, Splash had been a normal otter. She had gone off to hunt with Sky, and returned as an energy-otter. Rebecca was jubilant. Though it meant that Splash could not reproduce anymore, it meant that she would now live longer.

She raised her up and twirled her around, before bringing her to a bucket to wash off the blood. Jie Er did the same with Sky.

After letting herself be washed, Splash immediately showed off her new-found speed, both on land and in water. However, Rebecca witnessed her real power when she took her flying, the next day. Splash jumped off her shoulders in mid-flight, giving her a mighty scare.

Rebecca dove after the otter, but she soon realized that the otter was gliding, using web-like energy membranes stretching from her wrists to her ankles. Now, this was quite uncommon for otters, for in the wild, they never had a chance to soar in the skies, and thus never evolved anything that would be useful for flight. It was Splash's strange partnership with Sky that made her evolve such a skill.

The two would soon become a terror to the wild dogs of the Aranyan grasslands, and the mountain cats of the Xian mountains.

oOo

LE 640, Starfall. University of Bologna, D'Warka.

Clara Arosio walked through the empty hallways of the science department of the University of Bologna. The academic year of 640/41 had yet to begin, and thus, there were not many students to be found on campus. Clara was not a student of the University, but Prefect Baozhai Rong had managed to obtain her a pass.

She reached the Engineering Workshop, in the basement of the building, and slowly opened its doors, and was beset by the sharp smells of chemicals, burning metal, and rubber. Young and old angels, in a variety of protective gear, bustled around the large area established for them to tinker around with their ideas.

1...34567...9