The Azure Dream

Story Info
I see her again.
1.2k words
4.6
1.4k
0
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
NICHOLX
NICHOLX
47 Followers

by NICHOLX 08.29.21

1.2K words

THE AZURE DREAM

Foreword

I wrote this some years after the loss of my beloved wife. Though the story is fiction, its named characters are/were real-life persons.

**********

Sunday at the beach. Today was forecast to be mild and clear. The sky was baby blue, seagulls frolicked and screeched in the warm ocean breeze, looking for treats left by youngsters, and sunbathers lay sprawled on the beach for a mile in either direction. Meagan and little Josie and I had just found a good place to squat on the sand, and Meagan wanted to spray Josie with sun shield before she got busy playing. I tried to warn her about the spray bottle,

"Careful taking that cap off, or it might spray in your face." But, I told her a little too late.

"ARRRRRRR! I hate spray cans! Why can't it just pour out like body lotion!" Meagan growled.

"Wow, your face looks pretty good in bronze! Here's a wipey," I said.

"Thanks. Okay Josie, your turn."

"Please don't spray my face, mom!"

"There, all done, now you can play. Nick, you want some of this?" Meagan said.

"No, I'll pass. I never use that stuff. My hide doesn't burn unless I get really overcooked."

"Suit yourself. Spray my back for me?"

"Sure...I'll unsnap you in back. I'll even rub your sweet, lovely back first. There, how's that?"

"Thanks. Going in the water?" she said.

"Nope. I love the beach and the sea, but I don't swim in it. Too many things in there that bite or sting, and I hate getting saltwater in my mouth. I just like walking on the wet sand with a pretty girl, preferably you," I said.

"Hmm...glad you clarified that."

I put up our little sunbrella, then stretched out on the warm sand. Sun felt good on our legs. We watched as Josie piled up wet sand and started to sculpt...something.

I broke open our cooler, "You want a coke?"

"Just a couple sips, you take the rest," she said.

"Okay. Any idea what Josie's making?" I said.

"Just have to wait and see. Hope it's not a sand girl," she said.

"Why?"

Laughing, "Just recalling the ill-fated snow girl, that needed your cosmetic surgery. If need be, I'm sure you can cast your magic again, doctor."

The warm ocean breeze and the gentle flopping of the waves lulled us toward sleep, while Josie's sculpture started taking the shape of a wonderful...ball. But the surf was rushing in faster now and coming up close to us.

"Better get Josie up here away from the water. It wasn't supposed to storm today, but it looks like it's going to anyway. Some dark gray clouds are drifting in. I'll get some snacks, be back in a minute," I said.

So we three sat huddled under the sunbrella, munching chips, waiting for the rain. Josie watched as her sand sculpture got a little shorter with each wave.

"Mommy look, the water's melting him shorter and shorter," she pouted.

"Who is getting shorter?" Meagan said.

"My sand man, he was gonna be President Trump."

"It's okay sweetie, we'll help you make him great again after the storm goes away," I said.

A few minutes later, the warm sea breeze became cooler, as gray-green clouds moved in from the sea. The sun had made me sleepy, and I lay back again on the warm sand. I closed my eyes and soon slipped into a hazy deep sleep...

**********

The soft sounds of music and voices around me faded away as I found myself in a cottony azure mist, wandering toward a distant bright place, and I felt strangely light, as if I were not walking but floating a few inches above the ground.

From out of the mist, through a hazy montage of shifting colors, I saw the faces of friends and loved ones who had passed on. I saw mom and dad, my sister Janys, and my big brother Anthony whom I had never met, and they all looked happy and well. But try as I might, I could not approach them, neither would they touch me or walk with me, but they coaxed me on, whispering that I must walk this path alone.

Then as I came upon a small grove, I saw her, the beloved wife whom I had lost many years ago, walking slowly toward me, clad in silken blue robes and hood. I remembered she always loved blue, it always favored her, as now. I moved toward her slowly, cautiously, afraid that anything more than a whisper would make this moment vanish forever. She was smiling, but she did not outstretch her arms as I had expected.

Instead, she said softly, "I dearly wish to hold you, Nick, as you do me, but we cannot." Her words seemed to physically impact and weaken me. As if struck, I dropped to one knee.

"I know, I'm dreaming, but why can't I hold you? All of this around us, does not matter, please come to me, Vonnie, God knows I still love you."

"And I love you. But we can not touch, and you can not stay here, because it is not yet your time. You must go back."

"I don't want to go back, I want to stay here with you. I can't leave you alone, not again."

"But I am not alone, I am with Him. The woman and the little girl wait for you. and you must go to them."

"But how can you stay here without love?"

"I am not without love, Nick. The love we had together, I brought with me. And He is the embodiment of love everlasting. Do not grieve for me, know that I am well, and that all will be answered in God's good time. But now I must return, and with my prayers, you must go back."

"I will never forget you," as I felt the tears fairly burning into my cheeks.

"Nor I you. And you will see me again. But for now, find happiness with the ones you love, and in your love of God." Then she said, "Kiss the children for me," turned toward the light, and walked slowly away, disappearing in the mist.

**********

Meagan was shaking me gently, "Wake up, Nick! You've been sleeping out here for hours! Have you been crying, hon? Your face is all wet and red."

"Oh, just got a little too much sun and wind, I think."

The rain had stopped, and the sun was just starting to go low, hiding behind clouds of purple and gray. The sky was now a soft azure, and looked almost silken, and I recalled her blue robes. I glanced down at the talisman hanging from my neck, and it seemed to be twinkling, as if with joy...

"I bet you guys are hungry! Who is up for a nice big hot fudge banana split?" I said. "Me, me, me!" Josie said. We piled in the jeep and steered toward our favorite Friendly's.

**********

There is much in life that will never be explained, and must be accepted on faith alone, such as the untimely loss of one whom we love and cherish above all else. But now, the world seemed just a little brighter. As the sun set, the western sky came ablaze with brilliant bands of red, silver, orange, and gold, a testament to His glory. Thank you,, Jesus, for bringing her to me once more. Please bless and watch over my children and my two precious ladies. Looking across the table at Meagan and Josie, I felt content and at peace, and I knew that everything would be alright.

END

[ dedicated to Meagan ]

NICHOLX
NICHOLX
47 Followers