All Comments on 'The Back of Paradise'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
ElectricBlueElectricBluealmost 3 years ago

Nice swift story telling, Gunhill.

Been there, done that, same movies. Our Friday night tradition was the extreme back row of the 1500 seater, immediately beneath the projection box. The town knew it was "our" row - we must have been the alpha movie kids, because we were never challenged for that row. Paired up, the girls had fingers in panties, we boys would have to wait, or have blue balls and solo relief once in bed.

Saw a shit ton of good movies! Double features too, extremely good value for money. Sixty cents a ticket!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Please keep it going. There's a lot of us that can relate very well to this scenario. I hope there is a happy ending.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 3 years agoAuthor

Thank you. I was in a lot of New York theaters back then. However, when I did have a girlfriend, we didn't get away with anything that bold! (She was willing to please,however, and we had other tactics outside of theaters.) Anyway, almost all of those 1920s palaces have been demolished or converted to other uses. See the web site Cinematic Treasures. Of 123 theaters in the Bronx, only two, modern multiplexes, are still open.

I had planned two sequels so far. Not sure how happy they'll be in the long run (what does long run mean nowadays?) but they're still young and have time to figure out their lives.

TheOxRocksTheOxRocksalmost 3 years ago

For me, the best parts of this story were the descriptions of the neighborhood, which made the story relatable. I, too, grew up in the Bronx (Riverdale), also went to Bronx Science in the mid-70s, had Mr. Landau (a real curmudgeon) as my home room teacher, and had that unattainable, idealized girl in high school. You really brought me into the story!

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 3 years agoAuthor

Thank you. I've heard from several Bronx people on here regarding certain stories. Unfortunately, the part about Lynn Kepler is entirely fictional. I had to wait a bit longer to find someone.

I'm sure Mr. Landau passed a long time ago.

Crusader235Crusader235over 2 years ago
Memories

Oh the memories. You could take your girl to the movies with popcorn and a drink for less than 5 bucks. Now a days it's 20+. It's also sad that I refuse to support Hollyweird, and the shit for brains commie actors we have telling us what we should do, and believe. I'll rent the old classics when we had movie stars. I'll step down from my soap box to say, thank you for this excellent story, and good memories. Hope you have another chapter or two.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainover 2 years agoAuthor

Crusader235: Yes, I have at least two sequels planned. I've hardly been to a movie theater in the last ten years. Well, I used to go with a now passed friend to a revival house in New York. And I went with my son to a revival of "Jaws" in a New Jersey theater. I was struck by how well it held up since I last saw it in 1975. But the modern theater experience, with all of those trailers and they also have the nerve to show commercials for Bounty Towels and such - it's hard to take.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...