The Beginning Ch. 27-28

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Seeing no other possible course of action, I walked up to the front door and rang the bell. The idyllic setting combined with being in an area that I knew well enough had thrown me off completely, and I was taken aback when a man in a suit that just screamed "secret government department" pulled the door open. He even had a curly wire leading to an earpiece, and everything!

"Yes?" he asked, in a no-nonsense tone.

His features were utterly unremarkable, and I doubt that I would have been able to pick him out of a lineup, even after standing two paces away and looking him right in the eye. I don't even think I can remember what he looked like clearly enough to write up a description. Even his voice was dull and commonplace.

"Hi there," I answered, giving him a small smile. "My name is Chris and—"

"ID?" he asked, unwaveringly.

I showed him my passport, and after giving me a once-over, he stood aside and gestured for me to enter. Walking in, I surmised that if the rest of the house was like the living room, it was completely unfurnished, and didn't even have any carpeting or heaters installed.

Shutting the door, the mysterious stranger gestured again, telling me to follow him. We walked towards the back of the house, where I saw a door that presumably led to the basement.

"You'll need magic to open it," he said, gesturing towards the door.

I was about to ask him how exactly, but he'd already turned around and left. Not seeing anybody else around, I tapped into my Power and extended a tiny tendril towards the door. I seemed to activate some sort of security spell, but rather than rebuff me, this one let me in.

The door slid upwards silently, revealing an elevator car behind it. The car only had two buttons on the inside: two arrows pointing upwards and downwards. The one pointing downwards was lit up, so I pressed it, watching as the door slid back down.

It took nearly two full minutes for the elevator to come to a stop, though I had absolutely no idea just how far down I'd traveled. The doors here slid open sideways, and I stepped through into a well-lit, office-style corridor. The walls were a neutral white, a patterned gray rug covered the floor, and covered tube lights were the only source of illumination.

"You must be Chris!" a female voice exclaimed from my right, and I turned to see a government-suited lady standing there.

Unlike her colleague up top, her strawberry-blonde hair that was held in a tight ponytail, and mouse-like features gave her a rather unforgettable appearance. Honestly, between her small nose and larger ears, and the fact that she wasn't very tall, I almost expected her to try and sniff me!

Cute rodent-like appearance aside, she gave off a very different vibe altogether. It was warm and welcoming, and seemed out of place amongst everything else. But given that I was standing in a regular office corridor unfathomable meters below the surface, who was I to judge what was out of place?

"I am," I responded, reaching out to shake her hand.

"Aisling," she said, giving me her name as she shook my hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you!"

"Likewise," I replied, put at ease by her welcoming demeanor.

"Now, before we go any further, could I ask you to deactivate any and all spells? Including the ones embedded into your clothes?"

"That's an odd request," I mused. "I'd be happy to, but I'd like to know why."

"Well," she explained, "the truth is that while some of our field equipment can still function around magical fields, the vast majority of it still fails. Your parents were working on developing more electronics that were shielded against magical fields, before their unfortunate demise. My honest condolences for your loss. Michael and Lia were truly loved by all us humans—'Mundanes', like your kind call us."

"My parents worked here?!" I exclaimed, unable to believe my ears.

"Well, yes, they—"

"Hold that thought," I interrupted her, as my brain caught up with the rest of what she'd said. "You're a Mundane?!"

*****

A/N: If you've enjoyed reading this tale, tell a friend! Also, please consider voting for the story or leaving a comment, or even sending me feedback via my profile. You're more than welcome to do so anonymously. There's nothing better than reading that someone likes your work!

If any of you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to start answering them, as well. Thanks for reading this far!