All Comments on 'The Bell Ringer Ch. 02'

by JakeRivers

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
sacksackover 18 years ago
Nice series.....

Extremely well written and compelling. I am overwhelmed!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great

Another wonderful story. It had everything a good story should have.

Boyd

wetapapwetapapover 18 years ago
one of the

best i've read here at lit. all most perfect writing, wonderful story, and a damn good author. keep up the good work, a fan always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A Story Teller of Consequence

Extremely Well Done - a nice rolling touch of pictures taken not so long ago. Your abilities, respect and credibility grow as does your following.

I'm impressed Author - With Very High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very well done

Thank you for a great story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Touching

Sounds more like truth than fiction. Well written. Brings back memories of my first visit to Wichita when I was about five. That would have been around 1950. Did you know Crane? Are you by chance related to him? Could there be more than imagination at work here?

saw_man1saw_man1over 18 years ago
Perfect

I don’t have the words to adequately describe just how great a piece of writing this is. What a wonderful story of redemtion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Memories!

I remember "dreaming of a white Christmas" knowing that all Teresa Brewer wanted was "loving me and music, music, music." We kids preferred "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer" but Mom and Dad listened to Guy Lombardo playing the theme from the movie just before the holidays, knowing they would be listening to him and the "Royal Canadians" again, right after Christmas, playing Auld Lang Syne at midnight on New Years.

I suppose most anyone our age would remember some of those things like Harbor Lights and the velvet voice of Nat King Cole, but I have some other memories that your story has triggered as well.

I met a friend of my Dad's from Canada, a Captain in the Canadian Army who had been among the first troops to invade Europe. He was with the group who first discovered the concentration camp at Belsen.

I can't remember any of the things he said but I do remember the shock and horror reflected in the faces of those who listened to his story and I remember my Mom holding me so tight it was hard to breathe.

I enjoyed your story as I'm a sucker for a happy ending but I have enjoyed most of the memories it triggered too.

Thanks for sharing.

DG HearDG Hearover 18 years ago
Memories leave scars

Very well written Jack. One of your best. Memories leave scars and not always good one. Not always easy to overcome. I suspect all your readers know someone like the one dispicted in your story.

DG

Blue88Blue88over 18 years ago
Heartfelt

Thanks Jack. Difficult to find something meaningful to say, the story says it all. Man's inhumanity to man - the good that resides in many of us - the hell so many go through. This made for a thoughtful read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great read

You drew me in! a throughly enjoyable read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A good story, Well written.

I won’t go into the emotions that it stirred up in me.

But I want to thank Jack for drawing attention to the work of the Sally Anne. Religious organisations generally turn me off. Most of them are there for the benefit of their so-called leaders. Look back through history and see how many people have died in the name of religion. Look at the TV or your daily papers and see how many are still dying today. Twisted people take peoples faith and turn it into evil.

But there always has to be one that does things differently. Whatever is happening you will find the soldiers of the Salvation Army doing there bit to help people. From Jack’s story I gather they are just as active in the States as they are over here in U.K. The other day owing to snow a couple of hundred people whose cars were stuck, had to spend the night in a leisure centre. Who was serving the meals? The Sally Anne of course.

This is a strange place to praise they’re work. But praise should be given where it is due.

Well done jack.

DC

CamisoleInSilkCamisoleInSilkover 18 years ago
Bravo

Is more necessary to be said?

The NavigatorThe Navigatoralmost 18 years ago
Great story

Thank you for telling such a wonderful story. I lived through those times and your story brought back some wonderful -- and some painful -- memories.

I salute your talent!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Thank you

I'm sorry 5 is as high as I can vote. I knew a couple of people like Crane, except their hell lives in a place called Viet Nam. The tragedies life brings us are nothing compared to those we build for ourselves.

northshore_bumnorthshore_bumover 17 years ago
Just the right note for today's world

Jack

Just reread this story and and felt that I had to comment. I have been around the Military my entire life and have met many people like Crane. Their lives and stories span WWII to the Gulf War. My Father fought in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. My Uncle Wes was, in fact, was with Third Army when they opened up several of the Camps in 1945. Friends of my family made the long walk out of Bataan and survived. Most of these veterans were and are unwilling to talk about their experiences. On behalf of them, thank you so much for such a moving story. The effect of the brutality of war varies from person to person but is almost always traumatic and destuctive. Thank you again

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
yep

The Salvation army will always have my profoundest regards. Those who work and help out there are good men and women in whatever country they might exist. And your character went through hell, it's like pain. We all have different pain thresholds, what one man laugh about is another mans nightmare. No war is sane, it brings out the worst in us, as well as the best. Cheers Yoron.

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
CURING ANY ADDICTION IS BAD

especially if fear is involved. TK U MLJ LV NV

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
Yeah Ike was terribly, terribly right -

Both on the observations and the fear that time would dull the memories and allow false memories to be planted in their place -

None can be so cruel and inhumane as human beings - none take quite the deloight in pain and death we do -

Good story about a very real idea -

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
was it Annie?

I was once the manager of a Kress store before they went out. I can remember watching the Salvation Army bell ringers through the windows.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Only Love keeps us going

A story from the heart. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
That's A Strong Story

I believe it was that Damn Yankee General Sherman who said "War is Hell...", among other things. He was absolutely right. Been there, done that, and got the scars to show for it. But many times the worst scars from war aren't visible. And those are the hardest ones to treat. But hopefully we're learning. Thanks, Jake.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Reminds of movie Apocolypse Now

This series barely scratched the surface of the true horror my Father and close friends had to struggle with in the aftermath of armed conflict. I can only thank our Creator that I was spared the anguish and agony those souls were put through decades ago. No, not all is fair in love and war. Humans are animals deep within, and politicians and governments exploit that to achieve their materialistic goals.

Phxray54Phxray547 months ago

Some gave all. All gave some.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous