The Beloved Children

Story Info
The future - is the one we made.
2.8k words
3.78
13k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sabb
sabb
461 Followers

Riene waited patiently. It had been difficult to arrange the meeting, and she knew they didn't want it. Would have avoided it, if nearly all of the women hadn't gone on strike, hadn't ceased willingly obliging them with their bodies.

Calla sat beside her, twisting her skirt in one hand while she chewed the nails of the other. And Riene wondered what use the woman would be once they got inside, wondering if she would freeze up when she was needed, or if she would start one of her irrational tirades if she was frightened enough. Neither was a good thing to look forward to; neither would move their cause forward. But the others had virtually forced Riene to bring her.

To Riene it was Calla who was the prize rabbit in their burrow, the ideal female, one who produced an offspring almost every time she let one of the alien males have her.

Theoretically, therefore, Calla was the one who had been abused the most, who had the most right to make demands for herself. But to Riene, she had the aspect of a cow about her. She seemed to be unable to have her own thoughts; she grazed in her luxurious field and she got fat. Till what was growing inside her was finally ready to come out-then she got thin again. That, from what Riene had seen since her arrival in the caverns, was that. Except at odd times when Calla had not got her way.

Others had protested; other women had been drugged so they would do what was required. Riene had been, that first time, and shuddered inside before she shut out the memory, closed her mind's door on it.

Waking for the first time in this alien underground world of sunless caves she had discovered within hours why she was brought there. She had been shocked, appalled, and horrified by what was expected of her. She had cried for days and refused to allow the aliens, with their thick, oddly coloured skins and obviously reptilian features, to touch her. Had refused to go to the selection room.

But she had-as a last resort, they assured her-finally been lightly drugged so she would agree to go for selection, and to do what she had been brought there for.

Not that she had been treated badly in a material way. Far from it. She and the other women there were provided with all of the facilities a woman from earth would require or could want. And they were fed very well. But they were also treated as something less than human.

Her masters, their keepers; she thought of them as many things, the strange creatures who inhabited this world. The aliens with the reptilian features, who called themselves the Gona.

Gona. She spat the word out mentally, repeating the spit of it, over and over. Then she tried to calm herself, to return her thoughts to the present.

****

When the agitation among the women had begun to get serious and looked like it might achieve something, suddenly Calla had been there one day. With her head down in a bovine way, she had stubbornly demanded to be included, claiming that she was the one who had lost the most.

Her claim was irrefutable, and the other women had immediately fallen behind her demands, both from sympathy and surprise at her sudden agitation. But Calla's previous disinterest and usual dull acceptance of her situation left Riene annoyed at having to include her, when there were others who had resisted, who could have been there in Calla's place. Others who would have been much more help in the meeting ahead.

Because Riene had no desire to be the leader and take the whole weight of their cause onto herself. She would have much preferred to share the load.

****

A lean Gona male hurried past them, his skull ridges the clearly defined ones of youth and showing the pale mauve of agitation, his stubby tail stump barely visible at his back, hardly raising a bustle-like shape in his long gown.

He opened the door opposite them and quickly went through it to the Meegahn's office. And the mumbled sound of voices briefly escaped from inside, gone when the door closed. And Reine noted how he had ignored her and Calla as he passed. Which was different.

****

Reine well knew that in the selection room, where all the not yet pregnant women were required to spend their days, a male would have been vigilant in appraising them, as if he could see their fertility by examining their features in detail. She had watched innumerable times as they intently studied the women. The colouring of their ridges showing their emotions, going from mauve to yellow as the male felt worry at having to make the right choice, then irritation at having to choose at all from the ugly, soft pale creatures before him. Then he would be solicitously eager for the company of the one he finally selected, his ridges going a faint green as he prepared to perform his social duty, knowing it would be both pleasant and unpleasant for him.

In the selection room, the women were queens-only fulfilling the same function as queen bee's, but queens nonetheless. And for many of them-and Reine would have included Calla in this group-that was sufficient recompense. That, and the sexual pleasures of physical compatibility.

****

The Meeghan's door opened again and the same lean young male appeared at it and ushered them in with a sharp flick of his head, not looking at them. Calla made an odd noise, which might have been meant as a giggle or a gasp of panic, Riene wasn't sure which. And she watched Calla submissively preceding her through the door, simpering at the male who was holding it open, but who blatantly ignored her.

Riene herself then tried to enter with dignity, holding herself tall and making a point of ignoring him. It was a small satisfaction to sense a yellow flicker of annoyance pass briefly across the skin of his skull ridges. Whether his annoyance was because of her reputation as a troublemaker and her small success in getting this far, or because of her present dignity, she didn't care.

****

Riene's drug-hazed unions with one of the Gona males had to her horror created a living thing inside her.

And it had grown, grown to stretch and deform her body. An alien invader she was unable to remove, a daily horror, a constant reminder of what was expected of her there.

Yet at its birth she had been torn emotionally by its existence and the sight and touch of it-caught between abhorrence and an instinctive need to nurture it. To nourish it from her ripe breasts, which had ached for it for days. She had been shaken deeply, inside herself.

Though none of her feelings had mattered.

It had been taken away by one of her birth attendants almost as soon as it had emerged. Immediately revealing itself as one of them, with its gently ridged skull, murky colourless immature skin and small stub of tail.

****

Inside his office, the Meegahn sat behind his desk, and there was another old male, one she didn't recognize; an extremely elderly one, whose resting skin colour was almost brown with age but who also seemed rather grey, which was the colour of sadness-and who was sitting nearby, also facing her. There were two chairs set up in front of the desk for her and Calla, and they sat down in them when invited to by the wave of a clawed hand.

****

It surprised her always, when she entered their spaces, how human their artefacts and living and working places were.

Her own rooms she could understand; they were made for her and the others, places for the imported human females to reside in comfort while they performed their task. Unable to ever leave, to go back home, never to return to what she had been told was another time far in the past, on another world now dead and gone. It was a fact she had resigned herself to, but still sought to challenge. Because if they had the ability to bring her here, then surely these creatures had the power to return her.

But it worried her also in some deep down way that their everyday world was so like the one that had been hers, because it made their inhuman treatment of her seem less forgivable.

****

After her alien child was taken from her, Reine had wept, long and hard and had decided she had to try to change the way things were. Getting the other women to support her had seemed obvious and simple, but had, in fact, proved difficult. Uniting them had been almost impossible and would have been without the help of the oldest, without Leeane beside her.

Once Leeane's body had worn out, she had been left to die with the other old ones in a small damp cavern at the edge of the great city of caverns. The women, Reine had discovered, were only treated well while they were fertile. Afterwards they survived on the edge, not starved, but not given more than the minimum required to sustain their lives.

Discovering that future, which many of the fertile women had not bothered to consider, had frightened some of them. Leeane had then helped Riene to convince the others that they could change things, could make for themselves a better life. Perhaps even have their children to raise themselves, but only if they worked together.

****

"You have sought this meeting Riene female, causing much trouble to do so," the Meegahn said once they were seated before him, his mature brown, orange skin the darker burnt colour of anger. "I would like it to be brief."

Riene was now angry too.

"I want to see my babies, sir," Calla suddenly piped up. "You have taken them all away from me and I want to see them." That said, she slumped back, winding her skirt nervously between her fingers, as if afraid of the words she had spoken.

Trying to put their case clearly and distance herself from Calla's outburst, Riene spoke quickly and calmly. "You steal us from our own world and bring us here to have children for you, because you cannot seem to have healthy ones of your own. But you treat us like animals. When we have your children you take them away and we never see them again."

"That is how it is," he replied unblinkingly.

"But we are the mothers of many of you; we would like to be real mothers, and we would like to be treated as human beings, as . . . as, you treat each other. As you'd treat your Gona mothers and sisters. Doesn't it bother you that we are virtually prisoners? That your human mother perhaps is old and barely has enough to eat. The she was treated like an animal, fit only for breeding? That we are discarded and can barely survive on what you provide for us, when we are no longer fertile?

"We want to be able to have a life other then the one you give us now; we want to be part of your society, or we want to be returned to earth." It sounded so simple to her, such a small demand, to become part of their world, while going home she suspected was a hopeless dream.

"What you want is of no importance. You are here for a purpose and that is all. If you were able to do as you like, we would need to have more of you, because you would not do your duty for us as often as you do now. We treat you very well female; we could treat you far less well and achieve the same result. It is often debated in the Burra that perhaps we should economize on your care. But, as you say, you are our mothers and the bearers of our children, so we treat you as well as can be reasonably expected."

"But we are people, we have rights . . ." she didn't get to finish.

The Meeghan was turning almost red, his skull ridges swelling up fierily with an anger that bordered on rage, which shocked her.

"Rights, you talk of rights. I spit on your rights!" he replied, "What did you do with them? You destroyed the world you were born on, you played god by changing the patterns of life in anything it amused you to do it with. You performed obscene experiments, placing the stuff of fish in the bodies of pigs. The stuff of reptiles in the eggs of your own species. Rights! You have given up the right to them."

"But we did not do those things," Riene replied, confused.

"I want to see my babies, I don't know what you are talking about!" Calla cried out. She had suddenly become hysterical, and she jumped up and stood over Riene, and began to shake her. "I don't want to hear this. Get me away from here," Calla shrieked at her, then turned to the elderly Gona in the room and cried, "I want to see my babies. I want to see my babies."

Calla grabbed Reine's arm, her fingers biting in painfully, and tried to pull her up, out of her chair. But Riene refused to move, furious that she'd had to take Calla there.

"She did them though," the Meeghan replied coldly, pointing a trembling clawed finger at the hysterical Calla.

"No! I didn't, I didn't! I did nothing, nothing! I want to see my babies. You tell lies always. Always lies. I did nothing!" Calla was moving about in agitation, like a trapped animal looking for an escape. "We can't stay and listen to this. We can't stay," she cried and tried again to force Riene to stand and leave.

"She knows. This one knows it is true," The Meeghan said roughly, still bright red with anger, but with the swelling of his skull ridges subsiding. "She was the greatest part of it, and this is her atonement more than it is any others! We treat her extremely well!"

Riene had no idea what was going on as Calla continued moving about in agitation, repeating over and over, "I did nothing."

"She hasn't bothered to tell you, has she? She has kept what she knows secret. She is the one you should be accusing of treating you like animals. She is the one who made us as we are. She was the genius who wanted to improve on what you are, who wanted to become famous."

Riene watched Calla moving about in her agitation and fear, beginning to see something in what was being said that she didn't want to know.

"Now we must have you to survive, and we will use you as we see fit. We select only the guilty ones to bring here, and we treat you far better than you ever treated our ancestors."

Calla suddenly darted to the door, and throwing it open, she ran out of the room. "I did nothing," she cried out repeatedly, as her voice faded into the distance along the hallway.

A shocked Reine turned back to face the Meeghan and the stranger.

"But they were only experiments," she said, in what was almost a whisper, "The material was always destroyed afterwards." She looked searchingly at the two Gona. "They were not real; they didn't live," Riene protested more strongly, knowing she had never seen Calla before she arrived on the Gona's world. Remembering with certainty that where she had worked, they had always been diligent in that, in destroying the material once the experiments had reached a certain age. "And I was no one. I prepared slides and examined them. I never created anything," she explained, feeling something tightening inside her.

There was a long silence in the room as the Meeghan and the old male regarded her with unblinking eyes, and she felt the crushing guilt of complicity rush over her.

"Where are we? What planet is this?" she finally asked in quiet panic, fearing she now knew what was above the roofs of the caverns in which they lived.

The Meeghan's colour had changed from red, moving through orange to a fiery brown that was fading still, passing quickly to a murky colour as his rage and anger drained away. "It is our home; it is where we were all born, you and I, at different times. It is earth. The one you made for us, and changed us for."

He paused and sat there unmoving, unblinking, and Riene looked at him, understanding all that mattered, and beginning to silently cry for what was lost to them all, as the dark murky colour of his skull ridges slowly faded and turned the colourless grey of sadness. A younger, clearer version of grey, she realised now, than the silent old male's colour-which had remained an unchanged grey since she had entered the room.

sabb
sabb
461 Followers