All Comments on 'The Black Hat'

by Just Plain Bob

Sort by:
  • 67 Comments
Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 14 years ago
Not a bad story, just some credibility issues.

Pretty good read but I fault Rob for failing to be upfront about things. It's as if he were dishonest. First off, he should have informed his wife that he knew about the affair right at the start. By remaining married to her, even though he did not have sex with her, it could appear that he was forgiving her for her transgressions, as it were. He also could have been caught early in his own transgressions; after all, it was a small town. Second, he should have been forthright with Candy. They "sealed the deal" and to me, that's an engagement even though a ring was not given (Rob was of course still legally married). He should not have been also screwing Dawn if Candy was a serious prospect. Of course, technically he was screwing around on his marriage, and his wife could have used that to off-set her cheating, regardless of the fact that she cheated first. It significantly weakens Rob's position since he was also a cheater. Thirdly, I'm surprised the waitress failed to inform Rob about Jeff's bisexuality. And the idea that she would not know that Candy and Jeff were lovers (and even Rob should have noted it in their body language -- he really is awfully dense), just makes it even more difficult to swallow. I know, I know, it's just a story and after all, it is entertaining. I just think there needs to be a dose of realism in a story, a dose of believability, so that the reader can really get into it. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Preverted previous commenter is . . .

clearly a puta cause she has scruples that are only for males and not herself. It's bitch protecting bitch yano. This story is fine just as it is puta.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 14 years ago
A good story and a well thought out storyline

A nice fast paced story that held my interest throughout the whole reading. As in small town real life, which the story seemed to portray, he took what was handed to him and made the best of it. A good happy ending, which makes a good story even better. Thanks

OwensDarlinOwensDarlinover 14 years ago
Interesting read

"When Christy brought me my ticket I asked her if she knew who the blonde was. / "That's Candy, Jeff's sister." Later, Dawn tells Rob that "most everyone who knows Jeff and Candy has suspected what you found out" in Colorado Springs. So, Candy didn't just cheat on Rob, she cheated with her own brother. It seems like Christy should have known about the suspected incestuous relationship, so why she doesn't tell Rob about that suspicion feels like a loose thread left hanging. There is irony in the fact that Mary Alice's relationship with one other man drives Rob away for good, while Dawn's relationships with other men does just the opposite. Rob and Dawn do, at least, redeem themselves in the end by doing the right thing for themselves and her kids. Real people are never all good or all bad. Morality is rarely black and white. Oh, yeah, and anybody who wears a John B. with cutoffs or Speedos, and is not actively engaged in cleaning out a stock tank, should be shot. :D

louguy35louguy35over 14 years ago
A couple of interesting points

OwensDarlin made a couple of interesting points, but neiter is inexplicable. Still, JPB hit one out of the park with this story. It barely cleared the fence, but it was a homer never the less.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
OwensDarling missed the point

The exwife was a slut fucking around and cheating on her husband with a neighbor while denying her husband sex for the most part. Not really a very nice lady. Dawn on the other hand was a mother strapped with three young kids when her husband was killed. She could not make enough working to pay their bills and somewhat discreetly accepted gifts from men with whom she had sex. He knew this and knew her and her worth and she stopped the outside sex to be with him. There is no comparison between the two women. Candy on the other hand was playing all hands against the middle. She accepted and agreed to a commitment with him but essentially cheated on the arrangement and fucked someone else, her brother. Nothing there worth having, she is a round heeled slut just like his exwife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
One other small part someone mentioned

What difference did it make whether or not Jeff was bisexual or not. Being bisexual doesnt mean you are screwing your sister.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 14 years ago
great story

No plot inconsistencies

bruce22bruce22over 14 years ago
Nice and Smooth

from start to finish. Yep, the Dawn-Candy problem was not exactly correctly handled by Rob, but prior to the commitment he would have no reason to tell that he has another lady friend and I got the impression that almost

immediately afterwards he sees Candy with her brother. As he

says if it had been someone other that her brother he would have talked it out....

SleeplessinMD2SleeplessinMD2over 14 years ago
Valid points but wait...

this is a small town and small towns have strong taboos. So how do Christy start this conversation with Rob - "Rob, did you know that Candy sleeps with her bisexual brother?" Well, that will get her a big tip! The thing about small towns is just because everyone knows a lot don't mean that they tell everyone about it. If Rob had dug into Candy's background (like she did him) he would have found out about her. One of the things I loved about JPB's stories is the humanity contained within them. Candy who had been loveless due to her weight had a long sexual history with her brother Jeff. She said that she was sampling but in a small town the good ones were scarce. Along come Rob with his broken marriage and he was a keeper. Rob on a rebound from his cheating wife takes up with Dawn to help her out and get some of his needs taken care of. Rob is cheating on Candy with Dawn so he is a lousy fiancee. But it is ckear that Candy has been fucking her brother all of the time they were together. Maybe Candy thought that she could interest Rob in a threeway with her brother. Anyway, Rob makes his relationship with Dawn permanent and inherits a large family. When you deal with real people even bad relationships can not just stop overnight. Outstanding story - Thanks JPB!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
I liked this when I first read it....

....a couple years ago.Please write some new ones jpb-pistolpackinpete

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 14 years ago
As always, well written.

JPB has a winner with this story. Every now and then, he's a real romantic!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Ehhh?

A decent effort on your part JPB, but not the best work you've ever done either.

MikelGMikelGabout 14 years ago
good story telling

Nice flow and well constructed short story, nice twist with Candy, Herb got his in one simple paragraph, happy ending maybe, you left the door open for a follow-on with Dawn and her demons. It was enjoyable reading.

jiminabjiminababout 14 years ago
I liked it

Not your usual but better. Thank you. Jim

PapaMikePapaMikeabout 13 years ago
I'm puzzled.

"That's Candy, Jeff's sister."

"It would seem that Jeff wasn't as gay as every one thought. I didn't have to wonder why they were in Colorado Springs. Candy herself had told me that Castle Rock was still a small town and word gets around. So there I sat, looking out the window. Mary Alice was history and Candy was about to be."

So Candy was fucking her brother?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
A so so day gets better when you discover a gem of JPB story you having read yet !

It's not quite as good as thinking you're too broke to go out: then finding a 20 wedged in the couch cushions & 10 under the car seat, but it's close !

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Happy Ending

Yes this was a happy ending for all except for one special set of people.

Those of us who READ THE STORY.

HA HA HA HA HA

OH YEAH

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 12 years ago
there is a special kind of man

who can handle that his woman was a whore, even a "soft" one - but in every respect she was a good woman for her kids. so why the hell not take her. as long as she tells her men friends - out of business - it is no different than marrying a woman who had a lot of sex before you got with her - shit happens. gave it a 5

ythebadgerythebadgerover 11 years ago
Neat story

that captures the reader.

imhaplessimhaplessabout 11 years ago
Really nice

Cute, entertaining, and definitely worth a 5.

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
interesting

Nice twisting of the emotions. Very much like real life. Sweet and painful.

likegoodwinelikegoodwineover 10 years ago
Twice the charm

I just read this story for a second time and I still enjoyed it very much.

IronDragonIronDragonover 10 years ago
JPB is one of a kind!

The King of Twisted fucks with the status quo again! Throw some incest cheating into the tale, and you have another JPB masterpiece. LOL

5 Stars!

OverthefallsOverthefallsover 10 years ago
Well done!

And entertaining to boot! Another well written story with fun characters that draw the reader into the story. I would have liked it a tad more if he had gotten to stick his foot up Mary Alice's ass. The cheating slut got off too easily.

DelsaDelsaover 10 years ago
Awesome story!

You are a first rate writer!!!!! You sound like Sam Clemens....

A totally gripping tale.

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
TRUTH BE TOLD

whores do make the best wifes. TK U MLJ LV NV

likegoodwinelikegoodwinealmost 10 years ago
Still one of my favorite

I read that a few times already and it is still one of my favorite.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Enjoyed it

Thanks for the offering.

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
yes

everything seemed to happen too quickly, and there was a happy ending. good job. good to know that although only in a story, that someone will take care of the vets family.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 9 years ago
*****

Still a good one. Great pace and an easy read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good

One of your better good ending stories. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

A sweeter story than you usually tell. I liked it.

sugnasugnaalmost 8 years ago
Two Cheating Sluts and a Whore

So, is that all the world has to offer - Cheating sluts and whores? Well written as usual, but a fairly grim vibe.

tazz317tazz317almost 8 years ago
IF YOU DONT START OUT WITH ONE OR TWO

might as well begin anew with 1. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Gee, Bob, you out did yourself on this one!

The talent is there. Please give us more rather than the trite drivel that you often provide. Thanks for this one, and honestly, a few others. Don't sell yourself short. You do have a gift.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 7 years ago
Good Story

I liked the story and it's well written and edited. The dialogue sounds like people and the characters have pluses and minuses, mostly. Thanks.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 7 years ago
S cond reading

Bob of your many stories this tale is one of your best.

magmamanmagmamanalmost 7 years ago
Real life..

..is full of all sorts of stuff. Some can deal with it some can't, and if a person wants a mate that is untouched then all I can say is good luck with the search.

Odds are very high that search will be very long.

I knew a lady once (and I do mean "lady") that sold her favors to feed her two children, when her uninsured husband drove off the road one night into a ditch.

She asked me if I had an interest, openly and honestly, and I just happened to.

To be also honest to myself, I would have kept her for myself if I could,. As things turned out she chose a different path and ended up married to a certain public official that held a very high office in our State.

THE highest, in fact.

That I just could not compete with at the time. I could buy her time, her excellent favors, but I could not be a life partner, much to my chagrin.

I even asked, she smiled and told me I was wonderful, but.. no.

As things turned out, she fit quite nicely as the wife of a head of State, and her children were then very well taken care of.

Yes, REAL life.

Some things are more important than others to a woman.

This tale is excellent, and could be very true.

.

It really is how things are in the NOW portion of a relationship that matters.

I enjoyed it.

Thanks,

MGM

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
1* last page destroyed this story 1*

could have been a good story ....

but the ending you pulled a justplainbob and shit all over it .

had him divorce his slut of a wife ....ok !

had him take up with a prostitute ...wut ?

had him marry a prostitute ....after divorcing a whore ....WUTWUTWUT ?

dude , you are a fucking sicko . stop writing .

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Yes

I say Yes to him marrying Dawn. Yes she became a prosfuture to feed and care for her kids. Some people just don't understand what really happens to soldier's wives and kids when the soldier gets killed. There is no big policy or monies to help them. Dawn did what she had to do, and I commend her for it. 5 Stars for this one, and thank you for it. Semper Fi!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
From the sick pen of JPB

Another one that reveals some of the recurring ideas that appear once and again in your stories. A slut wife that claims to love her husband after she betrayed him over and over again in the worst possible way. The lame excuse that her lovers were just a tool and that they meant nothing to her.

A supposed strong male that end acting like a wimp sometimes taking the cunt back, sometimes giving her another chance only to end being cheated again. Other times, coexisting and letting the cunt fuck her way back into their relationship.

Sometimes the wimp moves on only to end in another twisted relationship with a good hearted whore (stripper, escort...) with whom he ends marrying. Talking about a shitty and twist vision of love, sex and life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
5 stars

What a wonderful heart-warming tale. All 3 ladies in his life were "interesting.". He chose well.

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Okay

But why not move to another town? Seems like that would solve a lot of problems. And after being married to Mary Alice for that long, I think a little BTB would have been in order. Especially since in their small town he would have been seen as the bad guy for leaving poor Mary Alice. That would have been not good.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Good Story

Glad you went the direction you did.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
At least

Dawn was honest. Beats his no sex for you but plenty for the neighbor ex wife and his sicko incest hottie tramp. Pretty good story.

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
A story

A JPB story for sure. You don't have to like the people to enjoy his story.

DogFuzzDogFuzzalmost 5 years ago
I got it

Sorry, but you are no longer a “Just Plain Bob” in my book. After reading a score of your stories I will now refer to you as “Just Great Bob”. Thanks for sharing what rattles around in your brain and comes out on paper. I do enjoy your human insight.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
A fantasy, but credible.

I will never understand cheaters, but an honest whore can change. In fact, she comes off more honorable than him. Good story.

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
Ok Schwanze, I’ll bite —

Why the “incest” comment?

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
I liked this a lot. I especially liked Dawn-Marie.

I was hoping things would turn out ok for her, though I didn’t see it necessarily being Rob.

Good pacing. Enough dialogue. Relatively believable situations.

Since I have to grade JPB on a curve (else 80% of his stuff would be 5-stars), this gets 4-stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great story, but...

I live in Colorado Springs, so am of course familiar with Castle Rock. Back when this story was written I could have named where the Days Inn, TGIF, etc. were located. Castle Rock used to be a small town back in the early 80's, but it stopped being one a long time ago. Well before this story was written Castle Rock had become a bedroom community for Denver, with far too many apartment and condo complexes. No longer a town where everyone knew everyone else's business. But it is still a great story, I just need to apply a mental time warp or alternate universe.

HappyId

ProfesseurXProfesseurXover 3 years ago

One of my favorite stories of JPB.

Nice but not over the top

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Some people need to increase their vocabulary, maybe they might understand the damn story. Enjoyed the story greatly - thank you sir.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago
Reading again

Still enjoyed this story, although the characters aren’t great people. Don’t understand anonymous concerns about vocabulary and not understanding the story though. Bob ain’t exactly William Faulkner level writing.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

JPB's experience with women is probably rather miserable given the female characters in his stories. Either that or he has none whatsoever. His sex descriptions are all based on porn which shows he has little of that as well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Maybe the reason people have a problem with characters in stories is two fold, they expect more from fictional people than real people and (this may be the biggest issue) they see too much of themselves in the fictional folks they are reading about.

Bob, I enjoy most all of your tales but I thought this was a cut above the norm, thank you yet again!

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

D2D2 - Bob's experiences with women could be worse, YOU could be one of his exes!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

My cousin used to do "business" with the Cat Houses in Wallace Idaho. He knew them inside and out. He told me whores made the best wives. First, they would never cheat on you. They would never turn you down and the clincher, they married for love. Plus, as I learned in college, there's no blow job like a professional one!

TheRealMadtexTheRealMadtexalmost 2 years ago

Good story. Just a bit confusing though. At one point, you said 'Black Hat' and Candy was related. Lost me a bit there.

Other than that, good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I don't remember at which point in the story I was at the time, but somewhere in there I noticed that Rob's character and the slow, quiet, and drawling manner of speaking that the author (and my imagination) gave him reminded me strongly of an actor I'd seen in a few enjoyable movies from some time back. From that point onward, my mental picture of Rob was the spitting image of Sam Elliott.

This is a good story, one that I wouldn't mind seeing made into a film. It might be a bit late to cast Sam Elliott in the role of Rob now (he's gotten a little long in the tooth for the role), but wouldn't he have been a good fit a couple of decades ago?

ReadyOneReadyOneover 1 year ago

Another "Best of JPB" story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The shame is having to wade thorough 10 - 20 of the very worst POS stories on Literotica to get to one of these gems…but the wait is more than worth it. 20 stars to balance out the last 20 JPB stories I left 1 star.

And another 10 stars for the Sam Elliot movie idea. Pure GOLD.

FluidswallowerFluidswallower5 months ago

Well-written and uplifting, Thanks for a heartwarming tale

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Why would Candy and Jeff need to go to a motel out of town. Brother and sister could be at either residence without comment, especially if the belief was that Jeff is gay.

SarahwithloveSarahwithlove2 months ago

I really liked this. It had everything a good story should, and a happy ending that made me smile. I am glad he picked Dawn. I wonder if kids are really a deal-breaker for men looking to date single moms, or if it is just a myth. I am really interested in finding out. Hmmm. 5 stars

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust Plain Bob@Just Plain Bob
9059 Followers
Just a Dirty Old Man (of course I have been one since I was thirteen)who likes to write about the things that I've seen and been exposed to in my life. There is a little bit of me in almost all of my stories and in some of them there is quite a lot. I leave it to the reader ...

SIMILAR Stories