The Bridesmaid

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your mother would think I intentionally did this? Why would I ever do that?"

"Because you are one of my crazy liberal college friends. My mother thinks my 'friends' from school are little better than the servants in that room. She would assume you intended to embarrass her. If my mother thinks you did this on purpose she will ruin you." Leah looked like she was going to be sick. All the color had left her face and she was beginning to shake again. "Please Leah, I need you to do this for both of us."

The two women silently stood there as the realization that this ordeal had to continue sank in. Leah felt like someone who had stumbled upon a wasp nest, got stung a few times and managed to escape only to find out that her escape route was a dead end. She was going to have to brave the wasps one more time. This time, however, her friend knew she was there. Charlotte would be able to protect her from the worst of it.

Charlotte felt simply awful. She had fooled herself into thinking that today had gone well only to realize now that she had become that which she hated. The family wealth was the trap that always brought her back. Despite all she had accomplished she knew that she could never walk away from her family's money and that meant more days like today talking to other social snobs and pretending not to care about the dozens of servants who waited on her every beck and call.

Both girls were once again brought back to reality the moment Annie walked in holding a uniform. They both glared at her which caused her to stop dead in her tracks. Something was very amiss. Charlotte yanked the uniform out of her hands and gave it to Leah. "Here you need to put this on. Also I need to take your jewelry."

"What?" Leah asked as she took the simple garment.

"You have to look the part. We got this far on sheer luck. If someone discovered you in that dress it would be a huge scandal, or someone might think you had stolen the jewelry. Either way the outcome would be a disaster."

Annie stared dumbfounded at Leah as she began to change into the uniform. She was only now beginning to realize what had transpired. It had not fully sunk in when Charlotte turned to her and sternly said, "Your company has caused my family significant embarrassment. I assume I do not have to stress to you the importance of keeping this a secret."

"No Miss," she managed to answer.

"Good because I want to assure you that if word of this ever gets out or if the rest of the day does not go perfectly, I will make sure that you end up in the worst hell hole imaginable."

"Yes Miss," she stammered. "I understand."

"Very well, then I am counting on you to help make sure that we minimize any further embarrassment to my friend."

"Yes Miss, of course. Nothing will happen to her."

"Wonderful, now apologize to her this instant. If not for your ignorance, none of this would have ever happened."

Annie turned to Leah who was now dressed in the proper uniform. She looked no different than any of the other servant girls. The transformation was complete. All former vestiges of her prior life had vanished with the simple removal of the dress and jewelry. Even though Annie knew the truth, it was hard for her to correct herself in front of her. Berating the servants had been so ingrained into her day to day that she struggled to get the words out. Finally she said, "I am sorry Miss."

"Is that all you can say?" Charlotte scowled. "Get on your knees and thank my friend properly."

"Now Charlotte, that really isn't necessary."

"Quiet Leah." Charlotte interrupted her. "She needs to learn a lesson." She walked closer to Annie. "Now you are going to get down on your knees and kiss my friend's shoes and beg her for forgiveness. Otherwise your life as you know it will be over."

Annie looked completely terrified as she kneeled down in front of Leah who in turn looked very uncomfortable. While she appreciated that her friend was looking out for her, she did not feel that any of this was unnecessary. Instead Leah felt like she was seeing a new side of her friend. It was the same side that she had experienced earlier in the day. Although Charlotte had always been a tireless supporter of social justice, Leah was beginning to wonder if what she was witnessing was the true underlying nature of her friend. Was this her natural state?

The tension only subsided after Annie kissed Leah's shoes. Leah's tormentress looked green as she stood up and the three women walked back toward the party. Despite even looking more like a servant, Leah felt better. Charlotte knew she was there. She would protect Leah and keep anything else from really happening to her. They just needed to get through the rest of this party and things could go back to normal.

When they finally made it back to the party both Charlotte's mother and future mother-in-law were waiting for them. They looked very concerned. "My dear is everything alright? You were gone for such a long time."

"Everything's fine Mummy. I just ate something that disagreed with me. I'm feeling better now."

"Well I'm happy to hear it. Everything has been going so well that I was worried something had gone wrong."

"No everything is fine. I just need to sit down." Despite trying to remain calm the situation had clearly stressed Charlotte out. It was visible on her face. Her entire mood had changed since she left to go the bathroom and everyone could see it.

This was of course cause for consternation with Vivian Davenport. For once her headstrong daughter seemed to be behaving. The event had gone swimmingly. She was certainly not going to let a little indigestion ruin what until now had been a perfect day. As Charlotte sat down Vivian looked over at Leah. "Girl get back to it."

Leah was a little taken aback. She had hoped to weather the rest of the party off to the side. Thankfully Charlotte intervened. "No that's really not necessary. I just need to sit down."

Vivian was having none of it. "I insist dear. That girl must have magical hands. I have never seen you so relaxed." She looked back at Leah. "Girl now get to it."

Rubbing Charlotte's feet was literally the last thing Leah wanted to do in that moment, but she did not see an alternative. They just needed to get through the rest of the party which was only supposed to go for another 30 minutes. She took a deep breath and kneeled back down in front of her friend. She could do this. As Leah restarted Charlotte's foot massage she looked up at her friend who was sympathetically looking down at her. Charlotte mouth the words thank you and the party went on.

The rest of the shower was uneventful. Guests continued to come over to pay their respects and Charlotte did her best to stay focused. She did have two more mimosas which did make her a bit tipsy, but that just showed through by making the socialite more talkative. Finally things seem to be dying down. Down on her knees, Leah could only tell because the general noise level in the room appeared to be diminishing. The guests were beginning to leave. Her ordeal was just about over.

Although Charlotte had pulled her feet away, Leah remained sitting on the ground hoping to avoid drawing attention to herself. She used the opportunity to look around the room. Most of the guests had already left. The only people milling about were other women dressed just like her. Each one of them was busy cleaning things up. No one paid them any attention at all as they methodically went about their work. Leah was so caught up in the display that she didn't even notice that several people had walked over.

"Well Vivian I must say you certainly know how to throw a party. I can only assume the wedding will be picture perfect."

"Oh Constance, you are too kind. I thought the food was a little dull and the drinks certainly left something to be desired. It would have been completely underwhelming but for my lovely daughter Charlotte. She truly was the belle of the ball."

Both women looked over at Charlotte who had a mimosa in her hand. She looked tired and was staring off into space. However, at the mention of her name she snapped back to reality. "Mummy I think you were too critical of the drinks. These mimosas are simply lovely. They definitely got me through everything."

"I'm not sure it was the drinks," replied her mother-in-law Constance. "I know that I'd be pretty relaxed if I had a girl massaging my feet the whole afternoon."

Even Vivian cracked a smile as both of the women laughed. "You're so right Constance. This girl was the surprise of the day. Mrs. Jenkins, your company really outdid itself with her."

"She surprised us as well, Ma'am," responded the older woman who had started the whole ordeal for Leah back in the kitchen. "Occasionally one of these girls does surprise us. Most of them require countless hours of training, but this girl seems to have had some natural ability."

Even Charlotte felt compelled to say something. "She really was a lifesaver. I could just feel the stress flowing out of my body."

The typically stern Vivian Davenport sported a big smile. She had once again delivered a masterful event that would be the talk of her world for months to come. That is until the wedding. The wedding was something altogether bigger. If everything went to plan, they would be talking about the wedding of her only daughter for years to come.

"Well Mrs. Jenkins, I think this even proves you are more than capable of handling the wedding reception as well."

The older woman looked overjoyed. Hosting this event would propel her company to the upper echelons of society. As long as she kept Vivian Davenport happy, she was going to make an absolute mint. "Thank you Mrs. Davenport. I will have my team begin sending plans over first thing in the morning for you to peruse."

"Excellent," Vivian replied. "Well I have only one other request Mrs. Jenkins."

"Oh what else do you need?"

Vivian looked down at Leah. "I want this girl assigned to my daughter starting one week before the ceremony. Charlotte will be under tremendous stress and this girl seems to have the magic touch."

"Of course Mrs. Davenport. That will not be a problem." Both Charlotte and Leah looked at each other with dread in their eyes. They had gotten out of the frying pan only to find themselves in the fire.

12