The Brilliance at the End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The first time she had pasta, she nearly fainted. It was delicious. The tomato sauce Logan had made had a depth of flavor that she couldn't place. He explained later that a few small tinned anchovies cooked down into an oily paste was all it took to enhance the sauce. When she smelled the tin, she didn't think she liked it very much. The fish smelled like it was rotting--but she had to admit; she didn't taste the fishiness in the sauce. Just an oily, deep, "umami" flavor. That was another word Logan had taught her.

As the weeks blurred by, she found a quiet happiness with Logan. Every day she would wake up and wonder if it was her last, but she wasn't sad about it. She was living out the last of her days with warm meals, a warm bed, and the warmth of Logan's arms wrapped around her on the cold nights.

She never did ask him what his secret was, but she realized one day that she'd have to tell him hers. She did not want to burden him with her passing.

After six beautiful weeks, she packed a small rucksack with some food and supplies. It was time to go. She felt better than she had in years, but she was sure that was a trick the universe was playing on her. The end must be near.

Sana disabled the gate. She knew how to pull the lever and knew the code to punch in to open it. When the gate creaked open, she slipped out into the wilderness. It had been weeks since she'd ventured out on her own, but with Logan, she'd gotten to know the land well. High in the mountains, she'd seen a cave and selected it as her final resting spot. The view had to be breathtaking from there, and truly, what else could she ask for but endless beauty?

Still, her chest ached to leave him. Truth be told, she didn't want to go at all. He'd stirred up feelings inside her that she hadn't thought herself capable of experiencing. His golden hair had grown so long in their time together, his piercing gaze almost soft now. He was as beautiful as she thought possible for a man. His rough hands. The silken kisses he'd plant down her shoulder at night. The way he'd give her something close to a smile when she made ridiculous impressions of the vagabonds she'd met in the wilderness.

She was nearly two miles into the forest, hiking upward, when she heard the hoofbeats. She knew that horse so well. Nightmare.

Logan had come for her.

"Why?" he asked, jumping down. He grabbed her arm, turning her around. "Why would you leave? Have I not given you everything?"

She trembled. "I can't ask you for more, Logan."

"Yes, you can," he said. "Take me. Take all of me. Just please, don't leave."

"I--" She paused, her vision suddenly blurry with tears. "I'm dying, Logan. I can't ask you to see me die. It's too much to ask."

His hand slipped into her hair, cradling the back of her head. He tipped her neck back so she'd have to stare up into his eyes. They were wild, overflowing with more emotion than she thought possible for him. He was a gruff man, but he felt things, too.

"You think I would let anything happen to you?" he said in barely a whisper. "You think I would allow you to die?"

"It's not up to you."

"But it is, my sweet one," he said, and she could see that he was unraveling seam by seam. "I made your cancer go away."

She blinked in surprise. "What?"

"You are well now," he said. "You could live to a hundred, if you pleased. Maybe even more."

"Logan, that's absurd--"

"I am one of the Four Horsemen."

Sana shook her head. "They're out there, Logan. They wouldn't hide away out here in the mountains and--"

"Pestilence has not been seen in many, many years. Since before you were even born. Even you must know that much."

"We learned about Pestilence in school in the North Zone," she said. "We heard he disappeared early on. Brought upon a pandemic, and then took it away. The other Horsemen continue to bring on the end of the world, but for some reason, Pestilence couldn't. Why, Logan? If you're him, why did you stop?"

"Because I saw the beauty in life and living," he said. "And when you came along with your sweet little smile and heart big enough to fill the universe, I knew I had done the right thing."

"Logan--"

"I love you." He said it so simply, like it was a fact that could never be challenged.

She smiled as tears streaked down her cheeks.

"I love you, too," she said, her heart full, so very, very full.

He kissed her and lifted her onto his horse.

"Do you know the meaning of your name?" Logan asked her, climbing up behind her.

Sana smiled as he wrapped an arm around her middle. "Of course. It means brilliance."

Logan took her to the house that had never quite felt like home until she'd entered his life. She was beauty. She was fire. She was everything worth fighting for.

Until the brilliant end.

_________________________________

Author's Note:

I would like to extend my thanks to my team, MsCherylTerra, Bebop3, and EarlyMorningLight for their feedback. Without their friendship, I would be a much worse writer. A kind thanks is also due to my wonderful friends and supporters: Adam, Beastie, BuzzCzar, P.M., and SplitGeode66.

And to you, reader, for taking the time to read this short story. I hope you will leave me your rating and your feedback, if you have any. Both negative and positive comments are welcome here, but please, no abusive language.