The Bunker Ch. 08.5 - Pete

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jenny lay on the bed, wearing a satiny green negligee and a big smile. "So, girl?"

Shannon strode right up to the bed and leaned in, pulling the two into an embrace. Pete didn't hear their words or see their faces but he picked up enough to know some kind of bonding or affirmation was happening.

******

"Hey, Petey, are you about packed and ready to come?"

Pete considered 'Petey' as derogatory from most people, but Uncle Bob wasn't most people. Pete and he had worked together and hung out having 'guy time' for years, before and after Pete's dad -- Bob's brother -- passed away. Pete knew without a shadow of a doubt that Uncle Bob respected him. Uncle Bob's expressions of pride in Pete's accomplishments partially filled the gap left by his father's absence. "Just about. I have a few more boxes, maybe an hour's worth of work at most. I have something I need to run past you."

"Shoot." Uncle Bob's voice went into business/decision making tone.

"So, I mentioned before that Jenny Mitchell might be interested?"

"Yes."

"Well, it turns out Shannon was interested too."

"HHmm, there's a phrase I could use here."

Pete's ears burned. "Yes, you told me so. Feel better now?" Uncle Bob had insisted, multiple times, that Shannon was interested in Pete romantically, and that her wearing of low cut attire around Pete, but no one else, was an invitation.

Bob chuckled. "So how does that play out now?" Bob was rarely one to rub someone's nose in a failure, and only then if a lesson was being deliberately unlearned without doing so.

"Shannon and Jenny have proposed they ... share me."

"You lucky bastard."

"So you won't be upset if they both come with me?"

"No, Pete, I won't. I think this may become the new normal as accidents and conflict take more men's lives, and most of us have little or no access to emergency medical care. I think those of us with a moral view of the world, one that uplifts humanity in general and respects the contributions of both genders have an obligation to accept arrangements that keep people safe so long as everyone consents. There's going to be a rise of abusive regimes that grind people underfoot, doubly so for women. If we stick to an artificial expectation of one man and one woman, we are telling some women they either have to be single forever or submit to an abuser. I won't do that."

Pete felt a weight lift off his chest. Uncle Bob was incredibly carefree on some things, and rigidly strict on others. Pete had never broached a topic like this with Bob, so he hadn't known where the line lay.

"Thanks, Uncle. I'm relieved to hear you say that."

"I have one admonition for you on this Peter." Pete did not fail to notice the name change. He was in for some level of butt chewing.

"Yes sir?"

"You should have called me earlier."

"Sir?"

"I already had this conversation with your mother. And Jennifer Mitchell. And Shannon Alistair. You're a man now Peter. You are taking on a man's responsibilities for his community and his family. You have to be proactive in your communication, not just your actions. That is a crucial part of any relationship, whether it's with me, your mother, or your future wives."

Pete felt the truth of Bob's words landing on his head. Ok, a small fuck up that was caught quickly and dealt with before it blossomed into something bigger.

"Yes sir. I will keep that in mind."

"Good man. Now finish packing, and I'll see you in the morning." Uncle Bob cut the line. The conversation was over and there was work to be done.

******

Uncle Bob showed up the next morning with a his dualie gooseneck and large box trailer. Pete spent the morning loading furniture, boxes of his mother's stuff, and most of his own. He held out a small duffle with two days clothes and other items for just in case, plus his go bag. His uncle had been recommending one for years. Pete finally put one together after news of the Rock came out. A couple of hours of all three of them working had the trailer full and the house nearly empty. A few remaining boxes went into Marylin's cab. All the coolers they owned, plus a few big ones Uncle Bob brought went into Marylin's truck bed.

After Uncle Bob pulled out with the loaded trailer, Marylin came over to Pete standing by his truck. Pete was confused by the sad smile on her face and the fierce hug she gave him.

"Mom, we're going to the same place, just a few hours apart."

Marylin pulled back, still holding Pete's torso and looked him straight in the eyes. "No, baby. I'm saying goodbye to the little boy you've grown out of. Somewhere along the line, you grew up. The person pulling into Bob's sanctuary will be a responsible young man that I'm very proud of." She pulled him tight again, silent tears on his shoulder.

"Aw, hell, Mom." Pete's eyes watered as he returned the hug lightly. He blinked away the tears and quickly wiped away the remnants. Marylin recognized the motion and waited till he finished to release him and step back, pretending to be unaware of his tears. One quick kiss on his cheek, and she turned, walked back to her truck and drove off. According to the plan they'd worked out, Marylin would stop by the grocery store to get as much frozen foods as she could fit in the coolers, and any non-perishables that would fill the rest of the cab and bed.

Pete's first stop was Jenny Mitchell's house. Contrary to popular ideas about cheerleaders, Jenny was not a clothes horse, nor a ditz. She had several boxes, and some of them were clothes. Unfortunately for Pete, he had carried those boxes out first, then he got to the boxes lower in the stack. Jenny was a book worm, so the bottom of the stack was books. Lots of books. Hell, the first box of books was hardcover textbooks. Pete nearly pulled something, not expecting that much weight.

"Oh crap, Pete are you okay?" Jenny half giggled, half-fretted.

"Yeah, just gimme a sec. I should have given it a little test lift. Not like your love of books is a secret." The rest of the loading was short and swift once Pete remembered to lift with his legs. Jenny's parents said good-bye with the usual tears from mom and stern look from her dad. Then he and Jenny climbed in the cab and set off for Shannon's place.

******

Pete had one other task before leaving town. Gather as many hygiene and first aid supplies as possible from the drugstore and big box store. The girls would take charge of feminine supply acquisition, since Pete had only the vaguest clue what was needed there. Mom, Jenny, and Shannon were three of the four most important people in his life, so he heard and retained some things on the issue, but not enough to get it right buying supplies necessary for a year or more. Beyond a year, they would need to figure out solutions that did not require modern supply chains.

At the drugstore they'd found a lot of first aid and other medical supplies. Shannon spotted a few braces that Pete was going to skip, but she insisted they would be helpful to someone that strained or pulled something while building new structures. Learned experience from working on her dad's construction sites. Those were added to the pile, along with a TENS unit -- Jenny's suggestion triggered by Shannon's recommendation on the braces. Shannon wholeheartedly agreed. Pete suggested two, just in case.

******

As they finished loading in the big box store parking lot, truck bed full and tarped, ugliness arrived in the form of Frank Corso. High school bully hell bent on becoming the town leader, more likely to become the town thug. Well, the societal shake-up might give him a better chance at his goals. All the more reason to GTFO. Frank strutted around school like he ran the place, like the stereotypical star quarterback king of the school in several movies. Except Frank had never played any sport in his life, and the quarterback of their football team was a damn decent guy.

"Aw hell naw! I know I ain't seein' what I think I'm seein."

Pete looked up to see Frank about ten parking spots away and striding towards them with a purpose. Pete had just tied down the last rope securing the load.

"Get in the truck." Shannon slipped into the front seat, closing and locking her door. Jenny had already taken the back seat while Pete and Shannon tied things down.

"What, you runnin' away little bitch boy?"

"I've got work to do Frank, and no time for you."

"A little bitch like you ain't got no right to prime pussy like that. Not one of 'em, much less both of 'em."

Frank was now shouting through Pete's mostly raised window. It had been down a smidge while they were in the store to keep the cab from overheating.

"Hell you ain't even a real man, you're a fucking costume wearin' bitch running up and down the sidelines with the rest of the pussy parade." Frank backed off half a step as Pete carefully pulled out of his parking spot.

Pete felt relieved for a moment, pulling down the aisle, thinking leaving would fix the problem. Then he saw Corso sprinting for his own truck. Shit. Pete made to expedite getting out of the parking lot, without endangering anyone. His pursuer had no such qualms and caught up with them at the first red light. In a split second decision, with Frank pulling up beside them on the left side, Pete made a quick right hand turn, checking (and very relieved) to see no traffic as he did so. There were four coming up behind him, not quickly enough to have a problem with Pete, but enough to keep Frank from making a right turn from the left hand lane. Frank tried, but it ended with five cars stopped in the roadway, honking, three of them between Frank and Pete. At least no one hit anyone else, Pete thought, as the image receded in his rearview.

After three miles, Pete relaxed enough to look to Shannon and Jenny, seeing them holding hands. They each looked a bit worried, and trusting. It was almost enough to overwhelm him. They were counting on him. What really worried him most was the evasive path he was on. That first turn had taken them away from the direction they needed to go. This wasn't a big town, and while no one else knew where his uncle's land lay, many knew which direction out of town to go. And there was only one road heading that direction. Pete navigated to the state highway they needed with no more run-ins. Or so they thought.

Five miles out of town, in a wide bowl formed by two rises in the rolling plains, they spotted Frank Corso's pickup waiting just below the opposite lip. Pete stopped. For a moment, he considered Frank trying a game of chicken or something similarly stupid. No matter what action Frank meant to take, his intent was clear. Pete couldn't leave any woman to Frank Corso's mercy, sure as hell not Shannon and Jenny, even if they weren't his partners. Decisive action. That was the only option . Don't play Frank's game . Pete heard his uncle's advice playing in his head. And he had one solution available. In other times, this would be out of the question, but the world had fundamentally changed. He had to protect his family. He couldn't wait for someone else to do it. Frank had presented sufficient danger to justify this response.

Pete slipped the truck into park and set the parking brake. He looked at Shannon, sitting in the shotgun seat.

"Be ready to slide over and drive if needed." His stony expression left no room for discussion.

Shannon looked at him quizzically as he opened his door and stepped out. Jennifer looked worried. Pete turned, reaching under the back seat, and pulled out a rifle case. Unzipping it, he pulled out his 7mm hunting rifle with scope. He closed the door and stepped in front of his truck. Feet shoulder width apart, just like his uncle taught him. Wrap the left forearm in the sling and grasp the forestock to make a steady firing platform. Finger out of the trigger well. Both eyes open while searching out the target.

Frank's truck cab, driver's area. Pete closed one eye, concentrating on the magnified image in the scope. Glare partially obscured his view, but there was just enough to be sure it was Frank. For added certainty, Pete checked the license plate. Yup. "HOTDOG", Corso's vanity plate. Target verified. No one else in the foreground or background. Open left eye again to check wide view for security or crossing people or animals. No conflicts. Left eye closed, reticle centered above the steering wheel, slightly right of centerline. Finger in trigger well. Squeeze.

Quickly, Pete worked the bolt, expelling the spent shell and ramming a fresh round home. Pete fired three additional rounds. Uncle Bob insisted that if shooting a man was necessary, make damn sure he's dead. Pete safed the rifle and collected his brass. Remembering something his uncle mentioned about leadership, Pete took a deep breath to calm himself, steady himself before rejoining Jenny and Shannon. He returned to the truck and placed the shells in the case along with the rifle.

Both women looked at him, Shannon gently laying a hand on his forearm, Jenny likewise on his shoulder. Pete put the truck in gear and began to drive. Distract them from seeing Frank dead in the truck as you pass he heard his uncle's voice saying.

"So I understand you've both already talked with Uncle Bob about the three of us?" The ensuing discussion never got as lighthearted as Pete initially attempted to make it. But his girlfriends' eyes were on him as they passed the dead man's truck, so in the end, the ploy worked. Nothing staved off the shaking when it hit Pete a few minutes later. At least he won against the nausea and tears.

******

The trio nearly made it to the turn off the highway when Jenny's phone rang.

"Hi, Mom! We haven't even gotten to the cabin yet. Missing me already?"

Pete couldn't hear the words pouring out of the speaker, but they were not happy. He thought he knew why. He got more certain in his suspicion when Shannon's phone rang. Jenny's conversation faded into the background as Shannon picked up. Jenny's family had some influence, enough to cause trouble. Shannon's dad could throw him in a hurtlocker and roll it downhill. He was shouting the moment Shannon picked up.

"Dad ... ... but I ... PETE's not like that! ..." Shannon couldn't get a word in edgewise, though she tried. Finally, her temper rose up enough to take on the hothead that taught her. "Michael Aaron Alistair, you listen to me. Pete loves me, and I love him. Jennifer is my best friend, and she and I had to convince him to do this. You know him well enough to know better than to believe nearly any of what you just said about him if it came from someone else. Now you just stop and think before you say another word to me, especially if you want to see any of us by the time you have a grandchild." She hung up hard and looked like she wanted to throw the phone rather than tuck it away in her purse.

"Yes, mother that was Shannon. Her father called just after you did and spent all his time shouting instead of listening." Jenny's soft tones came with sharp points. She really would make a good therapist. The sounds coming from the phone responded, getting gentler. "Mom, there's two things you can do to help us reach an understanding here. The first is to actually read the book you claim to base your position on. You've sat in pews and listened to instructions, but that pretty bible has sat on the end table in the exact same position for over a decade and the only reason the cover can still be read is the frequently dustings you give it. Please, read the words actually written there, in the gospels and the epistles."

"I'm sorry, I'm not being irreverent mother, not to you or Christ. If it sounded that way, I apologize. Now here's the second thing: You never put me on the pill. That was never acceptable in our family. I've been with Pete multiple times over the past week, and I ovulate in just a few days." Pete swerved a bit when he snapped his head to look at Jenny. He got his attention back to the road quickly, without overcorrecting. "There's a decent chance that one of the little swimmers still hanging around inside me is going to make you a grandmother. Now, for the sake of that child, can you please take some time to consider what you want to say or do before acting on it?"

After a few statements from the phone Jenny closed the conversation. "I love you too, Mom. I'll keep in touch as best we can, okay? Just know we are staying safe. I'll be safer where I'm going than in town. Be careful mom. I love you."

There was silence in the car for a few minutes.

"Sorry, Peter, that wasn't the way I meant to tell you."

Pete reached a hand back over the seat for Jenny to take hold of. "It's ok, Jen. I mean, I knew it would happen at some point, just hadn't expected it so soon." He kissed the back of her hand before putting his back on the wheel.

"I can't believe you three-named your dad." That got them all snickering, which broke out into laughter.

******

On arrival, Pete saw his mom coming out of the main house. "Hey, there's my handsome son and my two daughters-in-law." Marylin gave Pete a quick hug and a peck on the cheek.

Shannon and Jenny both accepted hugs from Marylin as well. "I've wondered for the past few years which of you I'd be calling daughter-in-law" the girls both giggled, "I'm glad to see it's both. The world we knew may be ending, but the new world has some nice benefits."

"So, you're really ok with this?" Pete said, as they all walked through the door of the main house where Uncle Bob lived. They'd check out the other houses and start unloading their stuff into one of them in a bit. It would be rude to put off saying hello to his uncle.

"Among other changes."

Pete looked at his mother quizzically. His mother was being playfully cryptic, not unusual for her, but he was also a little on edge still from the trip in. He'd have to share the Corso encounter with mom and Uncle Bob soon, if not before dinner, then during. Or maybe just his uncle for now. Just then Uncle Bob came around the corner to join them.

"You made it! Nice to see you Petey." His uncle's rich bass-baritone had a soothing effect that nearly balanced the chagrin at the childish version of his name. The slight accent he'd developed from three years studying and working in Austria always gave him a certain effect on the ladies. Pete swore Shannon's breath caught just for a moment as she and Jenny both clung to him. They'd both met Bob before, but this was the first time meeting him as Pete's partners. He also noticed his mother's eyes dilate just a bit. Curious.

Bob delivered light hugs to both Jenny and Shannon, welcoming them to the family and the sanctuary.

"You three should get settled. I've set aside Piney Woods for you. In fact, there's a few somethings special there for the three of you."

"Piney Woods is as big as Dutch House! Hell, it's more modern too!" They were currently in Dutch House, his uncle's home.

"Which is why I reserved it for my favorite nephew."

"I'm your only nephew." Pete smiled through a narrow-eyed scowl.

Bob chuckled. "Still my favorite." Pete rolled his eyes and shut his mouth, smiling. "Go on, I have my own business to attend to." With that, Marylin slipped into Bob's burly arms and they embraced.

"MOM?!" Pete's eyes bugged out.

Marylin looked at him sheepishly. "Are you going to be okay with this honey?"

Pete gaped like a fish out of water for a moment. "Uh, I'm just a little surprised." He could see a little fear mixed in with the sheer joy on his mother's face. Bob looked pleased and mildly concerned. Pete sighed. "Honestly, it feels a lot right in a day that needs some of that." To Bob's questioning look, he said "I'll fill you in later. We had a slight adventure getting here, but it's dealt with. Dinner time?" The treasonous quaver in his voice gave warning that what he had to say was not okay, but he was steadfast enough to reassure his uncle the matter could wait.