All Comments on 'The Call'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
chytownchytownover 1 year ago

**** Good read. Thanks for sharing.

oldsage_1oldsage_1over 1 year ago

Great little shortie. Thanks for the fantasy.

Cheers

SAGE

ReadyOneReadyOneover 1 year ago

No conclusion /summary at the end. It just stopped, leaving me waiting for some great statement about life, or observation about friends, or something...?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why the hell would anyone do that? Someone needs education about just how stupid that whole "love of my life" concept is. And somebody should whack Alex upside the head for even considering telling a happily married person this.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

Did Ron and Wendy have kids? He was disrespectful to his wife who took care of him through his cancer, by telling Alex that Michelle was the love of his life. Wendy deserved better than that especially since Michelle was a very selfish woman who cast him aside while he was paying for her school. Strange choice that a pharmacist would switch to dentistry. It takes almost as many years to make it through pharmacy school as dentistry school. She would have been pushing forty by the time she got her doctorate and started her practice. Still, it is an interesting story. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Basically, Michelle and Ron ceased to together because she lost respect for Ron and her ambition exceeded any love she had for Ron. Ron always supported Michelle in her endeavors but she stopped reciprocating Ron. Michelle out grew her need and love for Ron and moved on.

nixroxnixroxover 1 year ago

2 stars - I do not see the point of this little essay and why in this category?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your stories always manage to touch my heart somehow. My Michelle, a pharmacy technician whose dreams of becoming a pharmacist never quite panned out, died almost ten years ago. We were married for over 20 years. Many fond memories of our life together, including the night we first made love. She’s my guardian angel now. (Oh, and I’m from rural Maryland also.) Some of the other commenters don’t see the point of this story. Ignore them. I see it. Thank you for writing!

trigudistrigudisover 1 year agoAuthor

Without giving too much away, this story is based on fact. A guy's wife I knew did become a dentist after she got bored with pharmacy. Her husband continued in the profession (pharmacy). Years later, the marriage fell apart.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"Love of his life"

Misplaced and undeserved sentiment on Ron's part. Prime example of romanticizing a past that only existed in Ron's mind. A better or truer expression of the sentiment would have been "first love". Everyone has those and you always remember the first one. If I was Alex, I would have told Wendy,Ron's current wife when Ron died, that Ron considered her the "love of his life". I would respect Ron's wishes and call Michelle and let her know of Ron's death and tell her that Ron always felt fondly towards her and the past life they shared because she was "Ron's First Love" and you always remember your first love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Shoulda, coulda, wooda-second best was good enough.

LOVE slap-hapy-papy #9

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Dang, Ron and Alex. Why in the world would you think that phone call is a good idea?

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

"love of his life". William Shakespeare skewers this stupid concept over and over...

trigudistrigudis9 months agoAuthor

To Annon's 8/24/23 comment. Love of my/his/her life: A corny, over-used concept, perhaps, but people seem to use it over and over. Burt Reynolds said that about Sally Field. A woman I know said that about her first husband who died of cancer at age 40. Many of us have one even if we don't express it in a cliched way.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This story reads as and builds up to the same type of excitement one would feel when watching paint dry.

Very well done! It is very hard to achieve that! Sure, others would use just one word like pointless, insignificant or worthless, but you did it in over 25 hundred words.

Very well done indeed! You are a great author, very great, you're in the top tier of authors that find ways to expand one word from that specific family of words into thousands.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...