All Comments on 'The Chance at Willow Manor'

by GoneGray

Sort by:
  • 47 Comments
SithLord6969SithLord6969almost 4 years ago

Another classic

Genius! Absolute genius. 5 stars and a favorite

Cracker270Cracker270almost 4 years ago

Dayam. That was good

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

A well written fairy tale!

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventureralmost 4 years ago
A genuinely original storyline...

...I've already told you about a few errors (you'll work it out - Mr Grey, don't worry :)), but they did not detract from the story at all! Interesting. And who in the South knows the British colloquialism 'spud'?!

You Americans are so strange, having to tag stories as 'interracial romance'. Much suspension of disbelief, much loveliness.

tazz317tazz317almost 4 years ago
MOST PEOPLE ONLY FANTASIZE ABOUT THE AFTER LIFE AND PARA NORMAL ACTIVITY

no one can or will deny the existence or truth behind the old stories, by this token if one can say no one must then say yes. TK U MLJ LV NV

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 4 years ago
Ah, that sweet romance

The way you laid out the different threads of the story, and then carefully wove them all together, was brilliant. A lovely story and a great read.

Thank you, sir!

Paniolo BoyPaniolo Boyalmost 4 years ago
Powerful

Very powerful romantic story. The first thought that entered my mind after I finished reading your story was that this deserves to be made into a feature film. Seriously. Good work. Your are quite the author.

bourbononicebourbononicealmost 4 years ago
great

Having had paranormal experiences of my own makes your story believable. Nicely presented without DD tits or 10 inch cock. Keep writing.

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Lorealmost 4 years ago
5 stars

Slavery is wrong

ag2507ag2507almost 4 years ago

Very much enjoyed but perhaps a bit abrupt. Arsoola came with complications which I think needed disentangling before the big reveal (which was signaled 5 minutes after Arsoola arrived - that needs fixed too). I think there were assumptions in your head that you left out - I got a sense you were bored with your story about the end of p6.

saxman1947saxman1947almost 4 years ago
Lovely comment, Tazz.

Very poetic.

I don't understand poetry, either.

Eugenia4allEugenia4allalmost 4 years ago

Paranormal and love? You have blended them together masterfully. Great story 5*!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Pleasant Read

Very pleasant easy read . Smooth flow of character development .Enjoyed the story.

The_OutlanderThe_Outlanderalmost 4 years ago

Amazing! A brilliant take on a very difficult subject executed to perfection. Wonderful concept and story, if slightly finished too quickly. Now to read some more by this author...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Beautifully crafted

There are some aspects to this story that mirror events and feelings in my own life.

Thanks!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
No home run.

I agree with Ag2507. Too many questions left unanswered. Ending appeared rushed. Too many errors (Erections would came and went, to name one). You had a 5* until page six. Sorry. Still one of the best for this contest.

jlg07jlg07almost 4 years ago
Really liked this

A very different plot from what I've read before. The ghost parts were Really different and good. Soola was good but her slutting around backstory kind of detracted from her. Would have preferred to have it be that she had a couple of short sex relationships but since no emotions she hated them whichwas one if the reasons it drove her to ted.

Overall though really great plot

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Condom?

Just a random observation. If ‘Jill’ was infertile & ‘Ted’ was not predating when ‘Em’ came along why was there a condom in the house?

cybojicybojialmost 4 years ago
Excellent

And heart moving. I believe in ghosts. Had too many strange things happen in my life. 5

apollo_XIapollo_XIalmost 4 years ago

Wow! Just wow! Beautifully written!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Beautiful

An amazing story, I will read it many times in the coming weeks.

Perhaps you might consider ''Jill's Story'' - you'll have us in tears, but... I think many readers would like to know how he got there & the journey.

VBR / 5* / 19pvc44

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefalmost 4 years ago
Nicely done

As others have pointed out, there are some problems with the story that needs more editing, but it is still interesting enough to not bog down the reading. How the two spirits/ghosts combined to guide Soola to Ted was a very different twist to most stories.

The thought of Emmi running around in the nude was a little bothersome. I would rather had her wearing something, maybe a thin sexy nightgown. Nothing wrong with nudity, but it adds to the excitement when the package is nicely wrapped.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Too lazy to log in.

There will be those who find fault no matter what. They would've voted for the death of Christ.

For me you hit d one outta de park. I had it pretty well figured out when Emmi left. I just hung to see how you handled it. DID YOU EVER.

billybardbillybardalmost 4 years ago
Absatively posolutely wunnerful!

Wow!

What a masterful endeavor to weave together such a lovely tale of three such different women.

The "words" that Soola seemed to hear from two sources with different emotional undertones was very clever.

This tale captured my full attention from almost the beginning--probably due to idea of restoring an elegant older home.

Gotta agree with others that the last part with Soola did seem a bit too short & rushed (but that is your call & not mine).

Super job; looking forward to more such wonderful tales.

Cheers.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
WOW

What a story! Yes, some additional editing is needed, but nothing that interrupted the flow. Very well presented with a very imaginative background theme. Looking forward to more of your writing! Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Different

Flowed well, I am aware of a few 'hiccups' which just raised an eyebrow. I was hooked!.

Some commenters obviously didn't remember what they had read.

JJMemaw0623JJMemaw0623over 3 years ago
WOW!

I am an avid reader and know when my interests are peaked. You have definitely peaked them with this story. I love all sorts of paranormal stories that actually have a story with good characters, good plots, twists, turns and a great ending. You certainly delivered! I loved it! Please keep writing and I’ll keep reading!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Really great!!

Wow. What a wonderful story. I was a little skeptical at first about the sex with a ghost, but it really worked well at the end. It was so well written that it was a bit of a tear jerker at the end.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

BufoAmericanusBufoAmericanusover 3 years ago
Imagination!

Thanks for your writing and the sharing of your imagination and creativity with us!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Also WOW

Also WOW, this isn’t the story I was expecting and I hadn’t planned on spending the day this way, but I couldn’t stop and knew I would have tears at the end. It brought back memories of my wife before she died. Maybe she made me read this.

swr47swr47about 3 years ago
Unique

A truly great story. I have never read another like it. Keep writing.

ChrissrChrissrabout 3 years ago

Damn! Now I'm going to be up late reading more of your work!! Great writing, please continue.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

It’s not often that I feel compelled to re-read stories here but this brought tears to my eyes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I enjoyed your characters and the idea of the story overall. My biggest criticism is about the way you wrote your dialogue. Your main characters talk as if they thought what they wanted to say before hand and had time to write it in note cards. It didn’t fit the spontaneous situations. The first was Ted giving Emma-Anne the explainer, essentially “21st Century 101”, and it kept on when Soola showed up. I urge you to give special attention to how people really speak in the moment.

The other thing is how quickly and easily you had these two complete strangers fall deeply in love and declare it to each other. Having them make disclaimers like, “this isn’t like me!” doesn’t really make it believable. Plus, you had an opportunity to show two complex personalities getting to know each other and growing a love. You missed it.

I agree with the others who said there were too many questions. For me it was stuff like having an uneducated slave girl become a modern woman after one night’s access to TV and internet. People don’t do Pygmalion that fast. You would have had to give some explanation of how it could, maybe something to do with being a spirit and connected with the ether? I don’t know, but you needed something that would feel plausible within the bounds of your fantasy.

And finally, the connections between the three women were really tenuous, such that I felt you had two separate stories. There are any number of more plausible and interesting ways of bringing Soola and Ted together. The Emmi part of the story wasn’t really needed. When something isn’t needed to tell a story, you should rewrite so you need it or else lose it.

Overall, 3 stars. I’ll go check out your other stuff now. Thanks for writing.

muskyboymuskyboyalmost 3 years ago

Great story. How Soola ended up there from Chicago is kinda vague, and her one night stand marathons got pretty glossed and didn't add anything to the story and frankly took quite a bit away in my mind.... Still, liked it at the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

WOW that is all I can say about this story. Definitely more than 5 star rating 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful story - great writer!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Beautiful and lovely story. Nicely written. So romantically. Definitely a 5 star 🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫

TulipfuzzTulipfuzzover 2 years ago

Excellent story in every regard. Thank you!

KumakunshuKumakunshuabout 2 years ago

WOW, what a good read! I would like to see more straight up love stories like this one on this sight. Definitely a 5 ⭐ effort!

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

There is a charm to this story that I love, there’s almost an innocence to it, but we only ever know the earthly half of the tale, I confess I’d love a follow up chapter based on Jill and Emmie Anne’s experiences, but then again, would that spoil it? Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

rbloch66rbloch66over 1 year ago

Very, very good!

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 1 year ago

Wow! A love story, with three women, of whom two are directing the surviving husband from the grave--and all so convincing that I bought into every word! This is a real work of art.

Hans

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 1 year ago

Usually I find that stories with a supernatural theme turn me off, but this one didn't. It all fit together and made some "sense", if a ghost story can do that.

I did notice one comment about the dialog being somewhat contrived and I agree. It is very difficult to write dialog because the urge is there to make it sound "right". People don't talk in good English and whole, well constructed sentences; so any attempt to do that sounds stilted. Writing good dialog is a talent that few authors have and it doesn't surprise me that this was not a good effort. If you want to read highly stylized and entertaining dialog go to the novels of Robert Parker: the Jesse Stone series and the Spenser for Hire series. The Jesse Stone stories were made into a series of movies starring Tom Selleck and they were able to convey the Parker dialog and it is highly entertaining. The same is true of the Spenser tv series: the conversations between Spenser, Susan and Hawk are worth the price of admission.

Complaining about inconsistencies and contrived plot mechanisms in a ghost story is an effort into the ridiculous and a fool's errand. Just sit back and empathize with Emmie as she fades into the background of this tale....and enjoy. 5*

Zfanboy1Zfanboy112 months ago

Such a beautiful heartwarming story seems like to souls were reincarnated into one it would be amazing if you continued the story like them having a baby like maybe she was unable to have children before because she was destined to have children with him and only him.

HansTrimbleHansTrimble4 months ago

Absolutely the best ghost story I have ever read!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGoneGray@GoneGray
Inspired to try writing from this site. First fiction in my life submitted June 2019. Have been very honored by all the positive comments and the voting scores. I'm so glad that many of you enjoy my stories, and I hope to keep improving my skills.

SIMILAR Stories