The Chronicles: Notomol Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

You see, the people in the town were hungry. They were thin, and haggard-looking. Disease was stalking the town. The Izumyrians had commandeered all of the available foodstuffs, and imposed the death sentence on anyone caught hiding food. That alone explained why so many of the townspeople had fled to the countryside.

Notomol was relieved that we weren't attacked. He came to see us that night, again.

- "The day after tomorrow," he said, "we'll make our own procession into the town. I'd like for the Uplanders and the female fighters to play a prominent part."

- "Really?" said Giedra.

- "Is that wise?" I asked. There had to be quite a few of the townspeople who shared Velik the boatman's opinions about Uplanders.

- "Oh, yes." he said. "In fact, you'll be leading the way."

Of course I've made it clear that I admired Notomol, as a fighter, as a leader, and as a strategist. I was in awe of his ability to look after the people he led, including the non-combatants who flocked to him. I don't know who advised him on this matter.

I had no idea whatsoever that he could put on a show.

Giedra led our folk, of course, with the eye-catching Liesma and Dusca beside her (yes, Dusca was sufficiently recovered from her wound). Rion, Eliv, Tota, Paksyalta and Tugan, Krissika - they all had their moment. Berilde actually smiled as she walked beside me.

Dubek and his men followed us, looking thoroughly disreputable. They were recognized, though, and many of the people watching gasped as they saw young men that had long been presumed dead. Some people called out to them.

Then came the first proof of Notomol's genius: the Izumyrian prisoners marched behind us. Over a hundred and thirty horsemen, plus a few infantry, and finally Meldoi, son of the Northern Duke, Beghel. He'd been decently treated, and was quite easily recognized.

After the prisoners came Kolasovets and the archers. Then Orsho and Nelime, leading a huge contingent from Stonje. Notomol marched among them, on foot. But they wouldn't allow him to remain a mere figure in the crowd. Some of the Stonje fighters began to chant his name. A few pointed at him, enthusiastically.

Notomol finally pushed back his hood, and waved. He shook hands with some of the men of Stonje who called out his name. The townspeople were impressed; his was a name they'd heard.

Behind them marched Mailis and her men from Yeseriya. But Notomol had saved another coup for the very end. After Mailis came five - five! - guslars. Adrastas and Obran, of course (Obran needed help to walk), plus two others, including my useful new friend, Nafni. Thuruar, to his belated but nonetheless intense regret, was not among them.

And after the guslars marched the unaffiliated men, those who hadn't committed themselves to a particular captain. I believe that if he had not been our leader, Notomol would have been one of them. They were proud as princes, to be allowed to march in procession through the town.

There was a great cheer from the onlookers when it was announced that the guslars would perform that very night, in the town's central square.

Yes, Adrastas and the others played several old favourites, including Borna's Bucket (cleverly highlighting the female fighters). They also performed Noyemi's less well-known piece about the women and children who waited for their men to come home from war. It certainly struck a chord with the people of Hvad town.

Yes, they also played Adrastas' and Obran's masterpiece.

Wind and water, 'pon the stone

Wear them down, wear them out

Leave their bones to feed the land

Borna's like will walk again

The reaction in the town was just about everything that you could have asked for. Adrastas and Obran immediately joined the very short list of greatest guslars in the history of Hvad, right alongside Imants of Adarion.

Prosquetel had to be gnashing his teeth. He and his allies had seized their opportunity to claim the credit for Notomol's - and everyone else's - achievements. They'd had their moment. And then Notomol had completely stolen their thunder. Adrastas and Obran had no doubt had a hand (or three) in the planning. Giedra loved every moment of it. So did virtually everyone I talked to.

Notomol found a moment to come over during the performance. I had to smile at him. He smiled back.

- "Well done!" I said. "The whole day, I mean."

- "I had help." he said. "But thank you."

He turned to watch Obran, who was still playing. Notomol stood beside me, in the newly liberated town of Hvad - a place I'd never expected to be. It was all just a bit unreal, and yet it was also the most natural thing in the world.

"Speaking of help..." he began.

- "Go on."

- "Could you set up camp a little further outside the town?"

We'd discussed the matter briefly before entering the town. If Velik and the boatmen were any indication - and I suspected that they were - then Uplanders weren't going to be particularly welcome in the streets. There were plenty of unoccupied or even abandoned houses, but the neighbours were unlikely to look on us very kindly if we simply moved in.

Notomol and I both thought it wiser to avoid trouble by keeping my folk out of the reach of the worst bigots. There were also the female fighters to consider; they were accustomed to protecting themselves from drunken or overly aggressive men, but in the narrow, unfamiliar streets, it would be more difficult to keep them safe.

"If you could," he continued, "I'd appreciate it if you kept a watch on the castle. The Izumyrians left a garrison behind. We're not sure how many soldiers are there."

- "You don't mean a siege, do you? We don't have enough people to surround the place completely."

- "No, no. Cinna left some scouts, we'll have other fighters around it. At least a hundred. I just don't want us taken by surprise by a sortie."

- "We'll keep a watch on the gate and the walls." I said.

- "Thank you, Guenna."

He seemed about to say something more, but in the end Notomol smiled at me again, and wished me a good night.

*****