The Chronicles: Notomol Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The song wasn't as rousing as Borna's Bucket, but it struck me nearer the heart. It definitely affected the audience - especially my family.

Then Nafni surprised me - perhaps he surprised everyone. He had written several new stanzas for Noyemi's song. He began with Notomol's rebellion, and the key moment when the first two women joined it: Senderra and Evane.

Heads turned to look at them, to see how they were taking this. I couldn't see Evane's face, but Senderra was in shock.

Nafni sang of Dusca, and of Nelime - there were two well-deserved verses for her. Then he said my name, and I felt my heart skip a beat. Giedra, Rion and Eliv. Mailiis of Yeseriya. Sarine and Berilde. Nafni had never even met Sarine, but he had heard us speak of her, and chose to include her in his song. Paksyalta, Krissika, and Tota. He even mentioned Inita.

I was in tears, and I'm certain that I wasn't alone.

When Nafni finished, no one knew that the song was over. The reaction was delayed, once again. But the applause was heartfelt.

- "I will play one more, with your permission." he said. "Before I do, I would like to tell you all the truth. I... I was no patriot. When the Izumyrians came, I sought to learn songs that they would like, in the style they preferred. I was more concerned with assuring myself a living than in resisting the invaders."

No one said a word. There was no condemnation. After those songs, Nafni had earned our attention. We let him speak.

"Then I discovered that the Izumyrians look down on us all - just as Lowlanders look down on Uplanders. And I was ashamed. I finally found my way to the army - to Notomol's army. And there I heard a song... that I wish I could have written. It was by Adrastas and Obran - two magnificent guslars that I hope you may hear one day. This is the song they wrote."

Wind and water, 'pon the stone...

I knew that it was coming, but I still cried my eyes out. It was too powerful, too intense to ignore. And the people of the Vale of Nareven responded. They could feel the emotion behind it, and count the sacrifices that had inspired a song like this.

I saw a tear trickle down over Notomol's cheek, and that only made me cry all the more.

***

My father already liked the Lowlanders, but he was especially impressed by how hard they worked. Kolasovets and Inita went hunting every day. So did Senderra and Evane, usually with Paksyalta and Tugan to guide them.

Notomol, Marmos and the other three Lowlanders felled trees, sheared off branches, or gathered stones from a long way off. Hedyn and several others assisted them, but everyone could see how hard Notomol and his bodyguard worked. Marmos, it turned out, had his reasons for carrying more than his share of the load.

I overheard my father talking to Hedyn.

- "We'll be needing seven houses after all." he said.

- "Seven? I thought it was six?" said Hedyn.

- "It is six." I said. "Nafni. Paksyalta and Tugan. Aytar and Leeli." I was counting on my fingers. Aytar and Leeli were two of the returning Uplanders who had decided to live together. The others would be moving back in with their families - for now, at least. "Kolasovets and Inita. Notomol and Marmos, Senderra and Evane. The other Lowlanders. Six!"

My father just smiled at me. "Except that Marmos and Evane want a place of their own."

- "Marmos... and Evane?"

- "Seven."

Little Branimir could have knocked me down. Marmos and Evane? I couldn't believe that the two of them had ever had a conversation, much less that they wanted to be a couple.

It wasn't until later that day that I took inspiration from that. It took me all night and most of the next morning to gather my courage.

***

Nafni had agreed to perform again - or, rather, he had allowed himself to be persuaded.

- "But you've already heard most of my songs."

- "And we would gladly hear them again." I said. "Nafni - you're the only guslar to ever come here. They loved your first performance. You know they want more."

- "Well, I suppose that I could try out some new material..."

- "Wonderful!"

The weather was with me. It was a warm night, with no threat of rain. Once again, absolutely everyone in the Vale came to hear Nafni. They were excited, looking forward to hearing the songs they'd liked, and the opportunity to sing along.

I made a point of congratulating Evane and Marmos. Then I sat down with them, instead of with my family. I found a spot between Notomol and Senderra.

Nafni outdid himself. He played the Long Ride, and then tried out a more sedate piece. I didn't think much of it, but the audience were loudly appreciative. When he launched into Borna's Bucket, they whooped and roared their delight.

After that, they were expecting another quiet song, so that they could at least catch their collective breath.

- "I would like to play a composition by my colleague Thuruar HoneyTongue." said Nafni.

Notomol and I looked at each other. Thuruar had only ever played one original piece.

"It was originally called 'The Duchess' Horse Raid'." said Nafni. "I have spoken to many warriors who were present at that fight. I believe that it deserves a better title. I have changed a few of the words."

Nafni caught my eye, and smiled.

He had kept Thuruar's original tune, and the cadence of the verses. But he had changed more than half of the words. It was a completely new song - and it told the truth.

The first six stanzas described the location, and identified who was there. Then he sang four verses about my plan, naming me twice.

The crowd, as I said, were recovering from the effort of bellowing out the words to 'Borna's Bucket'. This was something new. When they heard my name, they didn't make a sound. Some people, I think, didn't dare to breathe, lest they miss a word. I know that because I was one of them.

Nafni described the beginning of the fighting. It was perfect. He devoted another eight verses to Giedra, also mentioning Rion and Eliv. Most of the people of Nareven knew those names. Again, though, they didn't cheer, for fear of missing the next verse.

I have to give Thuruar some credit; it was a good tune, and the length of the verses was well-suited to it. Nafni kept those elements, and told a much better, much more accurate story. A thrilling story, too, because the issue was still in doubt until the last four stanzas.

There was a moment or two of complete silence when he finished, because no one knew that the song was over. Then the dam burst, and a torrent of applause burst forth. Nafni bowed his head. He must have been tremendously gratified.

I had to make a gesture, so I stood up, and went over to Nafni. I embraced him, and whispered in his ear: "Thank you. That was worthy of Imants."

- "Thank you." he said.

- "Will you play a few more? Including Noyemi's song?"

- "When they are gone? Of course. For you, I will."

My father was waiting, when I turned around. He hugged me tight, and lifted me off the ground. My entire family had to do the same - and by that I mean my extended family, including Dengelle and Paksyalta.

Senderra embraced me, too, so that her brother also had to. I have to admit that I might have held on to him a little longer than was necessary. Or perhaps it was him holding on to me.

- "That was well deserved." he said.

- "We need a song for you, though. Or maybe two."

- "'Wind and Water' is hard to beat."

- "True, but your name should be in it."

We sat down again, and Nafni strummed his gusle. The crowd settled down.

- "I think that I might call that song 'Guenna and Giedra'." he said.

The roar that followed was louder than anything that had gone before. I don't know if Nafni understood how important names are, in the Uplands. We have no written records. We can only hope to be remembered in the memories of our friends. But to be immortalized in song? Giedra would have loved this. Somehow, I hoped that she would some day hear this song.

Nafni played another obscure piece, and then did exactly what I hoped he would do. He played Noyemi's song of the women left behind, wondering if their men would be coming home.

I took a deep breath, and steeled myself. I summoned up all of the courage I had, and placed my hand on top of Notomol's.

He didn't flinch, or jerk away. Instead, he turned and lowered his head, to see my hand covering his. Then he looked up, to find me looking into his eyes.

He smiled.

He smiled. Then he turned his hand, so that he could wrap his fingers around mine.

I found it hard to breathe, but I managed to smile back at him.

- "We should talk." he said.

- "Yes."

Nafni played two more songs. I barely heard them. I thought that I could feel Notomol's heartbeat through my hand - as I'm sure that he could feel mine.

As the guslar ended his performance, my family wanted to hug me again, and also congratulate Nafni. They meant well, but it was Tanguiste who saw my flushed face, and noticed how close I was standing to Notomol. Senderra wasn't oblivious, either. Between them, they cut short the congratulations, or directed them to Nafni.

- "Will you walk with me?" I asked Notomol.

- "Anywhere." he said.

I took him out to the entrance to the Vale, and then up the slope. Even in the dark of night, I was able to get pretty close to the spot I was looking for.

- "This is where I sat with my father, when I told him that I was leaving, with Giedra, the Duchess, and Prosquetel. It seems like such a long time ago."

- "Do you regret it?" he asked.

Did I?

- "No." I said. "I wanted to strike back at the Izumyrians. I did. And... I met you."

This time, it was Notomol who put his hand over mine. I looked up at him, and saw his eyes upon me. I leaned forward, and he did the same. Our lips met.

He was brave, and intelligent, and kind. He respected me, and sought out my opinion and my advice. I'd been attracted to him for so long, and now I could feel his passion for me on his lips.

- "I didn't know what to say to you, Guenna." he got out.

- "Nor did I."

- "But I want to be with you."

I kissed him again. I may not know much about kissing, but I know what I like.

Gerimir had wooed me with flowery phrases, while our lives were in danger and our loved ones were threatened. Notomol simply was, regardless of whether we were at war, or in peacetime.

I'd seen him reach difficult decisions and then act, when more than a thousand people were depending upon him. He was patient, too, when so many folk wanted to claim his time and his attention. In that sense, he reminded me of my father.

Notomol and I had both been too intimidated, too worried that we couldn't find the correct words to match our feelings. Now that obstacle had been removed, or hurdled, and we were no longer afraid to say what we were thinking, and what we felt.

***

Late the next morning, Notomol and I went to speak to my father, who didn't fail to notice that we were holding hands.

- "Does this mean that we have to build one more house?" he asked.

My family were thrilled. Yevna teased me unmercifully, but I could tell that she was very pleased for me. Nameless whooped and lifted me off my feet again, while Tanguiste danced a little jig. Dengelle cried, and Sulcen embraced me.

- "I'm so happy for you, Guenna." she whispered in my ear.

Kolasovets and Inita delighted, too, and warmly congratulated us. Senderra was over the moon. First her best friend, Evane, with Marmos? And now her beloved brother, with her new friend - whom she approved of wholeheartedly.

Only then did my sister Tanguiste ask the question that everyone else seemed to have missed.

- "Who will Senderra live with?"

Now we were all embarrassed, because we hadn't thought of it. Originally, she had been going to share a house with her brother, Evane and Marmos. That was no longer... practical.

- "She could stay with us." said Nameless.

- "That's a great idea!" said Yevna. "We have the space - and you'd be more than welcome. As long as you don't mind Dengelle's snoring..."

- "I don't snore!"

Nameless put her hands up and mimicked the rafters of a house shaking.

Notomol put his arm around me.

- "Every day", he said, "I find a new reason to like your family."

Senderra was flattered. "I suppose we could try it... until you get tired of me."

- "Not likely." said Nameless.

While everything went smoothly with our families and friends, Notomol and I faced one more daunting challenge.

- "Guen Nadesti wants you to call on her." said my father. The way he looked it me made it clear: this wasn't a request. It was a command.

Notomol had heard most of the history of my family. He had an incredible memory, and I knew that he hadn't forgotten much of it. But there were... details, which I hadn't told him. After dinner, I took him back to our lookout over the entrance to the Vale, to re-tell the tale of our flight from Asphodels to Prospal Hill.

This spot had become special to me - to both of us. He knew that I had talked to my father here, informing him of my decision to leave Nareven, with Giedra and the others. But now this was also the place where Notomol and I had finally kissed - and then later consummated our love.

It was a long and complicated tale. I explained who the Nadestis were, and how my father had come into conflict with them. These were Sulcen's folk, too, and Notomol needed to know something of her family history.

I didn't feel right about skipping our meeting with Moruith and Inisian. I wanted Notomol to know the significance of my niece's name, and to realize that my sister Yevna had loved - and lost - as deeply as anyone.

In other words, my tale grew longer and longer. Notomol was more than attentive; several times he asked pertinent questions - or made surprising comments.

- "This should be a song, Guenna. Or two. Does Nafni know all about this?"

- "Umm... most? I think?"

- "Your father should not be forgotten. Nor Yevna. All of you. But you and Giedra have a song now. There should be one for Veran and his daughters as well."

- "I love you." I said.

- "I love you, Guenna." he said. Now that we had shared our feelings and our bodies, we were no longer shy about saying such things.

Just before our meeting with Guen Nadesti, I was more than a little nervous - in fact, I was trembling a little. I shouldn't have worried: Sulcen was there, for moral support, and Notomol took charge right away.

- "Thank you for inviting us, Mother Nadesti." he said. "What can we do for you?"

Guen Nadesti was even more wrinkled than I remembered, and she didn't move around very much anymore. But there was still light in those old eyes, and a formidable mind behind them.

- "I'm told that you want to settle in the Vale." she said. "At least for a time."

- "I do."

- "And marry Veran's daughter? Little Guenna?"

- "I do. She is none so little anymore. She made a name for herself in the war - by herself."

- "She was always clever." said Mother Nadesti. "Even if she was annoying as a child. So many questions..."

- "Mother." said Sulcen.

- "An adorable child, though. And like a grandchild to me. Which is why I wonder about you, Master Notomol. What are your ambitions here?"

- "Ambitions?" Notomol considered the question. I loved that about him - that he thought before answering, or expressing an opinion. "I want to marry Guenna, and have children with her."

My head came up suddenly. We hadn't discussed that yet.

"I hope to settle my sister and my dearest friends in Nareven, and see them prosper. And it's not an ambition, exactly, but I look forward to getting to know Guenna's family even better. As I told her last night, I believe that her father and her sisters are worthy of a song."

Guen Nadesti glanced at her daughter. But she wasn't finished with him.

- "That's all very nice, but I meant your ambitions. You've commanded an army - how long will it be before you seek to take command here?"

Notomol shook his head. "You mistake me, Mother Nadesti. I never wanted to be led, nor to lead others. I fell into that position because I was better suited to it than the others in our small band."

- "Perhaps the best leaders are those who don't want to be leaders." I said.

- "Your father was - and is - a great leader, girl." said Mother Nadesti.

- "But he saw it as a responsibilty - not as the culmination of his ambition." I said. "The same is true of Notomol. He led because others depended on him - not because it gratified his vanity."

- "Maybe." said the old woman. "But how long can he stay here without wanting to be in charge? To be in command?"

Notomol bowed his head. "I have no desire to replace Veran. He does not command me - he asks for my cooperation. Vingoldas leads in the same way. I have no quarrel with him, either. He loves Tanguiste, as I love Guenna. He will be my brother. I would never undermine his authority."

Mother Nadesti studied him - in silence - for several moments.

- "I believe you." she said.

- "And so you should." said Sulcen.

***

Notomol and I had enjoyed our new house for 27 days when a scout came running back into the Vale.

- "Large force approaching!" she called out.

Vingoldas was in charge of the approaches that day. He had at least a dozen fighters, mostly archers, to call upon. But a little extra support wouldn't hurt.

- "How many?" I asked her.

- "At least a dozen!"

Notomol and I exchanged a look. That was no great threat to the Vale. Vingoldas could surely handle it. On the other hand, this was our second straight day of caulking the chinks in the outer walls of our house - and our neighbours' houses. There had been high winds and heavy rains, of late. Our immediate neighbours, Marmos and Evane, involved in the same activity, looked to us.

- "We should see if Vingoldas needs any help." I suggested. Kolasovets and Inita were away hunting, while Senderra was helping to train young girls in archery, along with her new best friends, Yevna, Nameless, and Dengelle.

The four of us downed tools, picked up bows and other weapons, and went out to see who was approaching.

Vingoldas was happy to see us, even if he probably didn't need our assistance. The party entering the Vale weren't all that large - nor did they appear threatening.

Then I saw an improbably tall, very blonde woman near the front of their group. Notomol caught sight of her too.

- "I could swear that that was Liesma." he said.

It was. And then I recognized the woman striding along beside her.

- "GIEDRA!" I yelled, even as I began running down the slope.

She caught me as I leapt onto her. She looked fit and healthy. Dubek was there, too; he and Notomol had clasped hands and were pounding each other on the back.

Giedra released me so that I could hug Rion. Liesma was next; she almost had to go down on one knee in order to embrace me. Then I turned about, searching for Eliv, but I couldn't see her. I looked back at Giedra. She slowly shook her head.

- "What happened?" I asked.

- "The army stayed in Hvad town, and the feud between Dubek's friends and the boatmen just festered. They wounded two of his kin - an old man and his wife. We killed two of them. Then they came after us. Well, they came after me, I suppose."

Giedra let out a long, slow breath. "Dubek and his men had been called away, told that one of their fathers had been attacked. It wasn't true. But it left us alone, temporarily. There were a dozen boatmen, coming from two sides. Liesma and I held them off, but they struck at us from behind, too. Eliv and Berilde were killed."

- "Berilde, too?" I felt horrible. I knew how badly Giedra and Rion must be missing Eliv; she and Rion were practically twins. But Berilde...? That was my fault. "I should have made her come with me."