The Chronicles: Notomol Ch. 15

Story Info
Home.
9.2k words
4.89
5.6k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,335 Followers

NOTOMOL Chapter 15

We crossed the rest of Mahuc without further incident, even though we came across another gathering of would-be fighters. There were only a score of them, but they were evidently preparing to march to Hvad town, and join the growing Hvadi army.

Paksyalta and Tugan knew the way. It was almost exactly the reverse of the path we'd followed to leave the Uplands and move into Mahuc, almost two years ago.

Even I could have led the way, once I saw the looming bulk of the Three Sisters, Myeva, Beska, and Brana. We reached the lake not far from where the hamlet of Nadesti had once lain.

There was nothing left, except for two or three shabby houses. The occupants scampered away before we could even getting close.

- "They've had experience of the Izumyrians?" said Notomol.

- "My uncle, and my cousin, first. Then the Izumyrians."

We marched towards Asphodels, passing by the Bend, where I'd seen and experienced more tragedy and trauma than any little girl should ever be exposed to. I stopped to look across the lake, at Piran's Point.

- "Memories?" said Senderra.

I couldn't find the words. She hugged me, and held me close. Evane surprised me by putting her hand on my shoulder.

There was virtually nothing left of Asphodels, my birthplace. No one lived there. The wind whistled through the ruins of the roofless cottages. I was able to find the house that I'd been born in. It brought me very little joy.

But Notomol stayed by my side, and silently shared my sorrows and the bitterness of my remembrance. He didn't intrude on my pain, but loomed nearby, ready to offer a shoulder to cry on, or a ready ear.

- "Thank you." I said.

- "You would do the same for me. And have done."

We followed the lakeshore until we came to Bentwood. There was a small community there - perhaps six or seven families. They came out immediately to offer us their submission.

For the first time, it occurred to me to wonder how the Lowlanders were taking this. It wasn't the greatest of introductions to the Uplands. I apologized to them.

- "The war came here, too." said Senderra. "Don't worry, Guenna. We knew that."

We were spotted long before we reached the Vale. Nareven was highly accessible, especially from the west. But there was nowhere to hide out here. Any force approaching would be seen long before they could reach the Vale. The inhabitants had plenty of time to make the decision whether to flee, or to fight.

They came out to meet us. There were twenty of them, too, and half were female. Most were archers, like us. But their leader was female. She broke away from her own group and began running towards us. I recognized her at once, and started running too.

I nearly tripped over my own bow, so I dropped it on the grass. My quiver was bouncing about, threatening to spill its contents, so I stopped to doff that as well. That left me standing still when a human missile slammed into me. I lost my footing, and we both fell heavily to the ground. Unfortunately, I was on the bottom.

- "Guenna! Guenna Guenna Guenna..." said my sister Yevna, over and over. "You're home."

- "I am. And you're heavy."

Yevna laughed, and helped me to my feet.

- "You've lost weight." she said, as she looked me over.

- "You've put on muscle." I replied.

- "Guenna!" shrieked the next person to rush at me. It was Dengelle, Yevna's best friend. She was in tears as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Oh, we missed you! We were so worried."

Yevna was frowning. "Where's Giedra, Guen? And Rion and Eliv?"

- "They're fine. Still with the army. But Paksyalta and Tugan are here. And some new friends. Let me introduce you."

The Uplanders in our party waited patiently for their turn while I presented the Lowlanders to my sister and Dengelle.

- "The Notomol?" said Yevna.

- "I feel the same way." he said. "We heard so many tales of Guenna's - I feel a little awed to be meeting you."

- "Guenna told us how impressive you were, Yevna." said Senderra. "But she didn't do you justice."

Senderra was right, in a way. Yevna had grown - and not only her muscles. She seemed more confident, more at ease. And she had more... presence. That's the only way I can describe it.

I presented Kolasovets and Inita, Evane, Marmos, and the other Lowlanders, and finally Nafni.

- "You brought us a guslar?" said Dengelle, in disbelief.

- "You are most welcome here, Sir." said my sister.

- "I am most honoured." said Nafni.

With the introductions made, Yevna was now free to embrace Paksyalta and greet the returning Uplanders. Meanwhile, I could do the same with Yevna's troop, most of whom I knew well. To my surprise, though, there were four that I'd never met before.

Yevna sent two of her party on ahead, to warn everyone that we were coming. There would no doubt be a crowd awaiting us when we finally arrived, but it was a good idea. I wouldn't have to introduce Notomol and the others a hundred times.

Our two groups walked on together, all intermingled.

When we finally arrived in the Vale, I wasn't prepared for what I saw: there had to be a good 200 people waiting for us. There were more coming, too. I could see folk running to join the gathering.

- "So many?"

- "We've grown." said Yevna.

- "Is everyone alright?"

- "Yes. Tan is pregnant again. Guen Nadesti is a little frailer, but getting by. It's Father that I worry about."

- "What happened? What's wrong with him?" My father had always been a tower of strength, a rock that I could rely on. I couldn't imagine him in failing health.

- "Relax, Guenna - he's fine. I just worry that he's growing deafer - he never seems to hear the advice I give him."

It took me a moment to understand what she had said.

- "Yevna - did you just make a joke?"

My sister laughed, and threw her arm across my shoulders. "It's good to have you back."

We drew nearer, and I could see who was waiting for us. My father. Sulcen, holding the hand of a little boy - Branimir. Tanguiste and Vingoldas, who was holding a squirming little girl in his arms - Moruith, who had to be two years old now.

Nameless was standing beside my father, and next to old Guen Nadesti, seated on a stool. I saw Hedyn and his family just beyond them. I could feel my eyes beginning to water. But my mind was still working.

I stopped a good twenty paces from my family. Yevna jerked to a halt beside me.

- "First things first!" I called out. "If I start hugging my family and friends now, it will be dark before I can introduce our companions! Please allow me to present them. This is Notomol, who you may have heard of."

From the murmur that rippled through the crowd, they had indeed heard his name. I introduced the Lowlanders one by one, saving Nafni for last.

- "A guslar?"

- "A guslar!" That went through the crowd like a wave. There had never been a guslar in Nareven. Nafni was a more significant personage than Notomol, bigger news than the return of Veran's daughter.

- "I am delighted to be here." said Nafni. "I would be glad to show my gratitude, perhaps by performing some songs for you, at some point in the near future."

- "Now would be good!" shouted someone. There was considerable support for that suggestion.

My father stepped forward. He raised a hand.

- "You are all welcome to the Vale of Nareven. Please consider yourselves our guests. If there is anything we can do for you, you have only to ask." Then he addressed his larger audience. "They have travelled a long way. We will let our guests rest, and only then will we ask them to perform for us. Perhaps the day after tomorrow, if Master Nafni is willing?"

Nafni bowed. "That sounds ideal."

- "Now if the rest of you don't mind," said my father, "I'd like to hug my daughter!"

He was just as big and as strong as I remembered. The tears flowed freely.

"You're home, Guen." he murmured. "It's so good to have you back."

I went to Sulcen next, and then to Tanguiste. My little half-brother and my niece were shy with me; of course I was a complete stranger to them, even if they'd heard my name. I embraced Vingoldas, and cried on Nameless' shoulder. Finally I knelt beside old Mother Nadesti, and took her in my arms.

- "I'm so glad you're safe." she said. "Now, hopefully, your father can sleep at night."

I had to say hello to Hedyn, of course. After that, though, I hoped that people would forgive me for playing host to the people I'd brought with me. There would be time, in the coming days, to renew old acquaintances.

My father was already deep in conversation with Notomol and Senderra, with Evane by her side. Marmos was close by, as ever. Tanguiste had identified the people most likely to feel left out; she was chatting happily with Kolasovets and Inita.

Perhpas it was his instinct as a Chronicler: Nafni had somehow already found Guen Nadesti, and was asking her questions.

Nameless had her arm around me.

- "He's so glad you're home." she said. "And so am I. You have no idea."

My father took charge of the situation. After a short consultation with the family, arrangements were made. Yevna and Dengelle, who had their own house, moved in temporarily with my father and Sulcen. Tanguiste and Vingoldas moved into Guen Nadesti's house. That left two houses for the Lowlanders to occupy, in whatever combination they preferred.

- "This is too much." said Notomol. "We can't take your houses."

- "You can't sleep outside." said Tanguiste. "This is only temporary. Please don't worry; this will be like old times for us."

- "We insist." said Vingoldas.

Another young couple gave up their house, close by Guen Nadesti's, so that the guslar would have a place to stay, and some privacy. They had kin with a larger house, and were happy to move in there. The whole Vale would hear that they had given their home to Nafni.

It took only an hour to make the arrangements and to move everyone about. Then we gathered for a meal - my family, plus the Lowlanders.

Notomol spoke first.

- "We have to thank you - all of you. Guenna assured us that we would be welcome in Nareven. We believed her - but we never expected anything like this."

- "I thought that she was exaggerating." said Senderra. "I was so wrong. Please forgive me."

- "You can repay us with stories." said Yevna.

- "Excellent idea." said Vingoldas.

- "But where do we begin?" I asked.

Nafni held up Motekin's journal.

- "Here, I think."

The guslar was a wise man. My family were astonished by the idea that a dead man could speak to them, and tell the tale of how Notomol's rebellion had begun. I knew that my father would appreciate hearing about Notomol from a third party; it wouldn't sound like boasting.

Just as I had been, my family were astonished to hear Nafni speaking in what was obviously another man's voice. The guslar stopped occasionally, to explain who certain people were, such as Captain Tumay, Dubek and Heras Koymil.

Tanguiste was entranced. She kept looking to Notomol or to Kolasovets when she heard their names.

- "It's like hearing a song about Ljudevit or Payl, except that they're actually here." she said.

Nafni faltered once, and asked for something to drink. My father immediately apologized.

- "I'm sorry. We've been selfish. You've had a long journey, and here we are making you work. Could we continue this another time? After you've had a chance to rest?"

Nafni explained how Motekin's journal was divided into entries; it would be easy to read a few parts at a sitting, and save the rest for later.

Nameless and Yevna sat back, letting Tanguiste and Sulcen bustle about, making sure that our guests had everything they would need. They would've just gotten into each other's way otherwise. I just hovered about, making myself available if my friends had any questions or requests.

Senderra gave me a hug. "Thank you, Guenna. I have a good feeling about this place already. Your family are wonderful."

- "I like to think that they are."

- "They are." said Notomol, with conviction. "Thank you for bringing us here."

I was feeling very, very happy. I was tempted to skip a bit as I made my way back to my family's house.

- "Ooh..." said Tanguiste. "Someone's got a spring in her step."

- "She's got her eye on a fellow." said Yevna. "It's Notomol, isn't it?"

- "Don't tease your sister." said Sulcen. "She's only just returned. You could at least wait until tomorrow."

Sulcen was making jokes? What had happened to my family while I was gone?

- "Tomorrow afternoon." said my father. "I need her help with something in the morning."

- "What something?" said Yevna.

- "None of your business something."

I slept on the floor, wrapped in my smelly blanket, surrounded by my family. I'd forgotten how many of them snored.

***

Father took me for a walk up the slopes of Brana. He was still reasonably spry, though he laboured a bit and ran out of breath sooner than I'd expected.

- "Let's sit down here." he suggested.

- "What's been going here?" I asked. "There are so many more people, so many more houses than I remember."

He nodded. "We've grown. Many of the folk displaced by Bacho or by the Izumyrians wanted somewhere safe to live. There are troubles elsewhere in the Uplands, too, and people have fled here. Raiders came twice, last year. Yevna and Nameless ambushed the first group, and destroyed them. Completely. They were quite ruthless. The second band saw our strength and turned around. Yevna chased them for ten leagues."

- "Are you still headman?" I asked.

- "Sometimes. Many of the older folk look to me, or to Guen Nadesti. But I'd have to say that I share the job with Vingoldas - and we both defer to Tanguiste."

- "That's wise."

- "We think so. And your other sisters have a fairly fearsome reputation now. There's not a man within thirty leagues who would challenge Nameless - and not a man who would dare to offend Yevna. That's why so many people have come."

- "Safety, security, and good leadership. I can see the attraction."

- "Well, the first two, anyway. We still make mistakes." My father looked at me closely. "You've learned a great deal, haven't you?"

- "I think so. Enough to know that I'm better off at home."

- "Well, I don't expect you to tell me everything in one morning. But I do want to know about Giedra, and Rion and Eliv."

I told him a short version of their exploits. He was right - we had plenty of time for stories and anecdotes. I told him about Giedra's drive to earn herself a name, and how I tried to help.

- "Liesma Horseface? Ouch. That's almost as bad as Mutimir ThreeNipple. I wish that Giedra understood, though: not all names are a blessing."

My father knew that well. He had been called Veran Hammerfist. While it helped a bit when he had to deal with some people, it had earned him the bitter enmity of his brother-in-law and former friend, Bacho. I was reminded of Orsho, and the curse of his extra name.

I told my father what had happened to Sarine, and to Berilde, and to other Uplanders who had left Nareven with me. He nodded at each short anecdote, but he wasn't truly involved; these weren't people that had been on Prospal Hill with us.

- "What about Seva? You haven't mentioned her."

I told him her story.

- "I'm sorry." I said. "I tried. But she hated us - all of us - and she wouldn't change her mind."

- "I know." he said. "We all tried." He went silent for a moment, lost in old memories. "Sometimes, there is no other choice. It's like what happened between the Nadestis and me."

We were interrupted by the sight of a small party climbing up to where we sat. It was all of my Lowlander friends, with the exception of Nafni.

- "Pardon us if we're interrupting you." said Notomol.

- "I imagine I'll have plenty of other chances to talk to my daughter. What can we do for you?"

- "With your permission, Veran, we would like to stay at least through the winter."

I couldn't resist smiling when I heard that.

- "Of course you can." said my father.

- "We spoke to Vingoldas, and learned that you had already begun planning to build several more houses - specifically for us."

- "We always need more houses."

- "And we would like to help." said Notomol. "I can chop wood."

- "I know nothing of building houses," said Kolasovets, "but Inita and I can hunt."

- "So can Evane and I." said Senderra.

My father smiled. "We were right to welcome you to Nareven. I think that you will in fit in very well - for however long you wish to stay."

***

Nafni read to us a little more that night. The following night, though, he became a guslar again, performing before a massive crowd of over 300 people. The vast majority of his audience had never, ever seen or heard a guslar. They were enthralled even before he sat down and set up his instrument.

He was nervous; I don't know if he had ever played for so many people before. Nafni took several deep breaths, and then smiled.

- "I would like to play this one as a tribute to my hosts."

Nafni chose a very old tune, The Legend of Juro. It was a simple tale about a guslar who had travelled all over the Lowlands, and performed for a number of important men. Some were appreciative, some were generous, but a few were tight-fisted. It was an educational piece, meant to teach everyone the importance of hospitality. Their treatment of guests - especially guslars - would be remembered long after they were gone.

His audience was completely silent. They didn't want to miss a single word or note. When he finally finished, there was a smattering of applause from the Lowlanders, and from some of the Uplanders who had been with Notomol's army. The great majority, though, let out a deep, collective sigh.

Then they applauded.

It was a loud and prolonged sign of approval. Nafni had to be able to feel it.

- "Shall I play one that you know? If you do... please sing it with me."

With that, he launched into Borna's Bucket.

It's actually a song that's entirely about Lowlanders. The heroes are Ljudevit, and the women who come to save him. Most everyone in the Vale of Nareven knew that Ljudevit was Payl's man - and that my father was their great-grandson.

But it's also a ridiculously catchy tune. Most of the people present had never heard it played on a gusle, but they knew the words.

I'd heard Thuruar play it, and then Adrastas and Obran's version. The moment they recognized the first notes, or the first words, Lowland audiences would let loose with a roar of approval, and then join, singing at the top of their lungs.

With the Uplanders, that reaction was delayed. It took them a moment to adjust to the sound, and then they heard the first verse.

They roared. Some of the women threw their heads back and howled. It wasn't until the third verse that they joined in. Nafni obviously enjoyed the response.

After that song, most of the audience were slightly winded. People smiled at each other, happy to have been part of the moment.

- "Thank you." said Nafni. "That may have been the greatest performance of Borna's Bucket ever - from a guslar's perspective. Thank you all."

The crowd roared again. They'd thoroughly enjoyed that.

"This next one is a song by one of our greatest female guslars. She doesn't get nearly enough recognition. Oh - and she knew Ljudevit and Payl. Her name was Noyemi."

I'd heard it before - once. It was a song about the women left behind, when the men went off to war. About their fears, and the dreadful burden of waiting to see if their husbands or their sons came home alive. But the song changed, midway, to describe women who themselves went to fight. Some of the names Nafni mentioned had also featured in Borna's Bucket. But their were additional verses - which I had never heard before - speaking of Payl, the Shining One, and other female Uplanders.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,335 Followers