The Chronicles: Three Sisters 14

Story Info
Fight.
6.1k words
4.84
7.8k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,331 Followers

THREE SISTERS Chapter 14

Hedyn was distraught, torn between fear for his wife, brought to term too early, and guilt, for forcing to us to halt here.

- "Y'could go on wi'out us." he suggested.

- "No. We couldn't." I said.

We cleaned up Moruith and Inisian's house, and moved Hedyn's wife into it. Mother Nadesti and the Duchess settled there as well, with our more elderly travellers. Sulcen and two of the other women took charge of the place.

Tanguiste and another woman took most of the children a little further, to what had once been Dengelle's home. The older children were set to foraging for food.

It had never been part of Guenna's plan for us to linger here, no matter how well we knew the surrounding area. Now that we had no choice but to remain, it was necessary to come up with a new strategy.

She received well-meant advice and helpful suggestions from all sides. Many people had opinions, and weren't shy about sharing them. But if Guenna listened to everyone who wanted to speak to her, she would never have time to think of a new plan.

And I was beginning to depend on my youngest. Where this talent for strategy had come from, I had absolutely no idea. But I wasn't about to question her acumen. She'd been right at every stage of our journey so far.

Vingoldas and I would both have an opportunity to contribute, when Guenna was ready to hear from us.

- "I wonder if Payl made the plans for Ljudevit and Borna." mused Vingoldas.

- "I doubt it. But I'll bet you they listened to her advice!" I said.

So I ran interference for my daughter, collecting suggestions from our fighters. The Lowlanders wanted to run. Giedra was tired of running. Seva thought we should set a trap. Dengelle, of all people, suggested that we should attack.

In the end, it was the Izumyrians who helped us to make up our minds.

- "Veran!" said Vingoldas. "Riders, at the foot of the Slip. Two of them, with a white flag. At least, that's what I think it's meant to be."

- "Tell Guenna." I said, and went off to see for myself.

There were, indeed, only two Izumyrians: one was a junior officer, with a crested helmet. With him was a trooper, bearing a white shirt tied to the butt of his spear.

They were only 50 yards away, but almost twenty yards below us. The Slip was ridiculously steep.

Prosquetel arrived while I was still waiting for Guenna.

- "Ah! A flag of truce." he said. "They're heralds, Veran. They want to talk." He made it sound as if I wouldn't have known what the flag represented, without his help.

- "We're familiar with the concept." I said.[1]

More people were crowding around us, wanting a closer look at the outsiders.

"Back up!" I snarled. "You want them to get a good count?"

"Five at a time - no more. Take your turn, and then move back. Let someone else have a look."

Guenna arrived.

- "What do you think they want?" she asked.

- "I don't think they're here to surrender." I said. "Vingoldas: do you want to do the talking?"

The officer called out.

- "Is your chieftain there?" he shouted, in reasonably good Hvadi. We had no trouble understanding him.

"My commander wishes to speak with your leader."

- "Be careful." said WhiteHair. "This could be bad."

- "Go ahead, Papa." said Guenna. "Let's find out what they have to say."

I took two steps forward.

- "I'm Veran One-Eye." I shouted. "Who speaks for the Izumyrians?"

- "My Colonel, Count Seaglitz, wishes to address you." called the herald. He waved a hand over his head. A few moments later, two more horsemen emerged from the trees, almost a hundred yards further back.

- "Prosquetel," I said, "tell me about this Seaglitz. You've heard the name before."

- "He's a fighter. A hard man." said WhiteHair.

- "That's all you know?"

- "He's said to be a favourite of the Izumyrian King."

The Count rode well. He wore a polished breastplate, and his ornate helmet was topped by a horsehair plume. It wasn't until he drew rein at the foot of the Slip, and doffed his helmet, that I got a good look at the man.

He had iron-grey hair, combed straight back. Thick eyebrows, and long mustaches. A prominent nose. But his whole face was dominated by his chin, which thrust forward like the prow of a boat.

Seaglitz smiled. Somehow, that didn't strike me as his normal expression.

He spoke to the junior officer for a moment.

- "Count Seaglitz is pleased to meet you, One-Eye." shouted the herald. "It is a shame, though, that we must speak from so far apart."

- "I'm quite comfortable here." I called down.

There was a pause as the horseman translated what I had said. Seaglitz snorted, and then grinned. He spoke to the herald, at length. Only when he had finished did he look up at me.

- "Count Seaglitz wishes you to know that we have no quarrel with the Hvadi people. Our fight is with your corrupt rulers. You will find Izumyrian rule easier to tolerate." shouted the herald.

"You will be better protected." he continued. "Izumyrian justice is fair, and impartial. Your taxes will be lower than they are now."

That got a good laugh from four of the five people standing behind me.

Seaglitz heard the laughter. He frowned, and thrust out his jaw even further. He snapped something at his underling.

- "My Colonel wishes to know what you find amusing."

I answered. "We're glad to hear that you have no quarrel with the Hvadi. Neither do we. You see - we're not Hvadi."

"But we're very keen to hear about your tax plan. Considering that we don't pay any taxes as it is .... I, for one, can't wait to see how you'll lower them."

"And we've already seen something of Izumyrian justice."

The herald translated. Seaglitz didn't appear to like what he was hearing.

- "You speak the language, yet you claim that you are not Hvadi? Please explain. And also, what did you mean, when you spoke of Izumyrian justice?"

- "You're fighting the Hvadi. We're Uplanders. We share the same language, but that's about it." Prosquetel, behind me, shifted uneasily from one foot to the other, but he didn't contradict me. I decided not to comment any further on Izumyrian justice - for the moment.

- "Then why do you protect the Hvadi Duchess?"

- "You think that I should have turned her away? Is that what you would have done, in Izumyr?"

- "Good one, Papa." said Guenna.

- "Count Seaglitz says that we should ... stop dancing around the bush." The herald looked uncomfortable, as if he knew that the expression he had chosen was not quite right. "We are here for the Duchess and her party. We will not be leaving without her."

- "Is that so?"

- "You are brave fighters, One-Eye. Especially on your own land. But you cannot fool us: many of your people posing as warriors are women. Count Seaglitz commands 100 veteran soldiers. You cannot resist so many."

- "You must have started with 109, then, because by my count, you've lost nine already." I said.

The Izumyrian Colonel didn't seem very pleased when that was translated to him. He spoke at length to the herald.

- "Count Seaglitz says that we will take the Duchess, in the end. You will regret your interference. It would have been better for you, by far, not to become involved."

- "What are you offering, then? If I hand them over?" That was definitely not what Prosquetel had expected me to say. I could almost feel him stiffening beside me.

The herald related my words to his commander.

- "Watch Seaglitz' face." I said, quietly, to those around me. The Count's expression didn't soften. After a quick glance up at us, he dictated terms to his junior officer.

- "Count Seaglitz says that he will spare your lives. None of your people will be harmed. Also ... (the Count was still talking) ... also, the Count will generously provide you with 100 gold crowns. For your service to Izumyr."

- "How much time will you give me - to think it over?" I said.

The Count looked much happier as he generously allowed us a day to consider his offer.

- "We will speak again - at this time tomorrow." concluded the herald.

We watched the Izumyrians ride back the way they had come.

- "Mind telling me what that was all about?" said Prosquetel.

- "It was a test." said Guenna. She tilted her head, to look at me. "Right?"

- "Put yourself in Seaglitz' place." I said to WhiteHair. "He's a little frustrated, and looking at the Slip can't have done much to improve his temper."

- "He's lost men, too." said Vingoldas. "Probably doesn't want to lose any more, if he can avoid it."

WhiteHair just looked confused. He still seemed unsure whether my offer to hand over the Duchess had been even partly sincere.

- "Prosquetel." said Guenna. "Do you believe that Seaglitz will honour his promise? To leave us in peace - and to give us gold - if we turn you over?"

Old WhiteHair shook his head. "No. Probably not."

- "He won't." said Gerimir, the young Lowlander. "You can't trust him."

- "We don't, Gerimir." said Guenna. "But why did he begin by offering us the benefits of Izumyrian justice, and lower taxes?"

"When we laughed, he grew angry. That's when he showed his true self, and threatened force. Overwhelming numbers. So I ask again: why sweet talk, at first?"

- "Perhaps ... perhaps he thought you might hand us over." said Prosquetel - but he didn't seem too sure of it.

- "If Seaglitz thought that there was a chance - even the slenderest of hopes - that he could get what he wanted without fighting ... then why didn't offer us gold earlier?" said Guenna.

- "Because there is no gold." said Gerimir. "He has absolutely no intention of paying for what he plans to take."

- "In that case," I said, "why give us a day to think about it?"

Vingoldas was grinning - he had caught on earlier. But it was a pleasure to watch Gerimir's eyes go wide as he finally realized what Guenna and I were on about.

The young lowlander snapped his fingers. "Because the delay benefits him."

- "They've found the way around, then." said Guenna. "By this time tomorrow, Seaglitz expects to be behind us."

- "Find Yevna. Bring her here." I said. "And anybody else wandering around with her."

Guenna and Vingoldas ran off.

- "You never really meant to surrender the Duchess, did you?" said Prosquetel.

- "I don't blame you for thinking that we might." I said. "You still don't know us very well."

"But the night before we met you, the Izumyrians burned Asphodels and Nadesti, south of the lake. And probably Bentwood. As far as I know, none of those people had done anything to them. That's all I know of Izumyrian justice so far."

- "We saw the flames." said Gerimir.

- "Now we've killed a dozen of his men. I'd say Count Seaglitz has his reasons for wanting to settle scores with us."

It was late in the day before Yevna returned.

- "They've found out that they can come through the woods." she said.

- "Thought so." I said. "Then I need three or four volunteers."

- "To do what?" said Giedra.

- "To stay here, at the Slip - until dark. Yevna, you'll have to be one of them."

- "I'll stay." said Guenna.

- "You're coming with me. We have to decide what to do next."

- "Why Yevna?" asked Dengelle.

- "The Izumyrians will be behind us, between here and the Neck, by tomorrow morning. We're pulling back." I explained. "But we can't leave the Slip unguarded until after nightfall. They have to think that we're still here."

"Those who stay will have to retreat in the dark. Only Yevna knows the land well enough to bring you back. We'll be waiting at the Neck."

- "Then I'll stay." said Dengelle. She might not have been much, in a fight, but there was no doubting her courage - or her loyalty to Yevna.

- "I'll stay." said Gerimir, the Lowlander.

- "So will I." said Giedra.

That meant that Rion and Eliv would stay behind with her. Six in total - more than needed. But I knew better than to argue with any of them.

The rest of our fighters retreated, half a league, to the Neck. We crossed the log bridges over the stream.

This position was even more secure than the Slip. There was no way to coax a horse across a log. Nor could the Izumyrians fell more trees, or build a real bridge; I doubt if they had a single axe between them. The idea of the horsemen trying to cut down trees with their swords made me smile.

There was a path, leading to the north. But it didn't curl back to the west. It would only lead our enemies farther away.

We had a very secure position, then - at least for the short term. But Hedyn's wife had to deliver a child. Then we had two more pregnant women, and Mother Nadesti.

First, though, we had to hope that Yevna could lead her party from the Slip to the Neck - in complete darkness.

It was Guenna who came up with the idea of the lights. I went a hundred yards from the stream, and held a torch. Vingoldas went another hundred yards, and held up a light. Then Seva, Libot, Nameless, and Guenna did the same.

I'm not sure how much it helped. The dark is terrifying. There's a good reason why people don't go abroad at night. In fact, there are several good reasons. Wild beasts, pitfalls, uneven ground ... a twisted ankle can be the death of a man - or woman - if they're alone, in the dark.

And the deep dark plays tricks on you, feeds your fears. I couldn't have done what I was asking my daughter to do.

But Yevna brought them back. Safe, and whole.

***

Hedyn's wife delivered a healthy little boy. They named him Inisian.

***

As we had expected, the Izumyrians had found a way around the Slip. By the time they moved, though, we had all withdrawn to the Neck. We enjoyed a good laugh, at their expense. They had expected to trap us, but their net came up empty.

The Neck was an unpleasant surprise for them. There were places, both upstream and downstream, where they might have been able to create new foot bridges. But the Izumyrians had no axes, to fell trees. Also, we had archers hidden in the woods on our side of the stream; two Izumyrians who came too close, looking for a way across, were wounded by our arrows. One horseman was killed outright. Seva fired that shot - and was more than a little pleased by her achievement.

Seaglitz was no fool; he had his riders searching for another crossing point, or for a way around. Given time, they would find one.

- "Two or three days. Maybe four." said Guenna. "Then they'll find a way around, and they'll be ahead of us."

Both of us knew that the land beyond Dengelle's former home was impossible to defend. They would be able to come at us from multiple directions, and there were no natural choke-points, like the Slip, or the Neck.

But we couldn't outrun them, either. Once we gave up the Neck, the terrain would favour horsemen. They would catch up to us, burdened as we were with children, and elders.

I couldn't see a way out of our dilemma. Until I thought of standing in the dark, with a torch, waiting for Yevna. That was all Guenna needed, to get her started.

Her plan was complicated, but it had to be.

Tanguiste was given command of the first group. She had Sulcen to assist her. They had all of the people we couldn't move: Hedyn's wife, and her newborn son, Mother Nadesti, the Duchess and our second pregnant woman. With them were the elderly, the toddlers and smallest children.

They had Moruith's house, and Dengelle's former home.

And Prosquetel.

WhiteHair protested, but Guenna was very patient as she explained it to him. He wasn't fleet of foot, couldn't fire a bow, and was past his best days when it came to fighting toe to toe.

- "And if it comes to the worst ..." said Guenna, "if we fail ... it'll be up to you, at the last."

She didn't have to elaborate. Prosquetel knew perfectly well what Seaglitz and his men would do to our non-combatants, given the opportunity.

The second group was Guenna's. She would defend the Neck. We threw down the log bridges, just to be on the safe side. Her task was to prevent the Izumyrians from crossing the stream.

For this, she would have Odma, Giedra, her friends Rion and Eliv, and a group of the older children, led by Vialla - for show.

Giedra, predictably, was not happy with her assignment.

- "I'm not staying there, if there's to be fighting somewhere else!"

Guenna delegated the task of dealing with Giedra to me.

- "Sit down." I said.

- "Fuck you, old man - I'm not falling for your sheepshit this time!"

- "Sit down - here, next to me." I patted the log I was sitting on.

- "No! I'm done listening to the crap that comes out of your mouth!"

- "Fair enough." I said. "Who do you suggest we put in your place?"

- "What?"

- "If you're not going to defend the Neck, then who should? Oh - we'll need three people, because Rion and Eliv will go wherever you do."

That shut her up, for a moment.

"Would you like to know where everyone will be?" I asked her.

- "Don't play with me, Veran." she said.

- "I never have, Giedra."

So I told her the entire plan. Where we would fight, and how, and where every single fighter in our band would be.

"So who can I leave with Guenna?" I asked her. "No, I don't believe that the Izumyrians will try to force a crossing. But if they do ... we need at least one good fighter there. One who can kick the living shit out of the first three Izumyrians who try to cross the stream - all by herself."

- "There'll be heavier fighting elsewhere." said Giedra. But she wasn't shouting, and she wasn't suggesting that I have sex with myself.

- "Who do you suggest, instead?" I asked. "Remember, Giedra: if we put you in the third group, that means sending Rion and Eliv, too."

I didn't have to say anything else. But of course I did.

- "You're one of our best archers. And you're one of best fighters. It's that simple. But Guenna needs to put people in the places where they can do the most good."

"And if I fall, Giedra ..."

- "You won't fall." she said, scowling at me.

- "But if I did. And Vingoldas. And Nameless. Who would lead the second stage?"

Giedra covered her ears.

- "I hate talking to you, you old piece of shit. You always convince me to do things the way you want - not the way I want."

- "It's not the way I want, Giedra. It's Guenna's plan. If I had my way, I'd send you alone, to challenge Seaglitz to single combat. And afterwards, I'd hire three guslars to sing songs about you."

- "You're such an asshole." said the big blonde, with the barest beginning of a grin.

Group Three was mine. Mine and Vingoldas'. We would have Iduallon and Gerimir, the two Lowlanders. Hedyn. And Yorun, with his friend DownyBeard. Seven of us, to hold a path. We would be toe to toe with best these Izumyrians could throw at us. Our only advantage - slight as it was - involved taking away their advantage: their horses.

There was a point, a few leagues north of Moruith's house. The Izumyrians were bound to find it. The trail there led back to the south and west, and passed a scant league from Dengelle's house.

Once they controlled this trail, the Izumyrians would be behind us - or ahead of us - I couldn't remember which anymore.

All that mattered was that my group had to hold the trail. To block the path. While the fourth group killed as many as of the invaders as possible.

The fourth group was Yevna's.

She had Nameless. Libot, and his two friends. Dengelle, red-headed Seva and her brother, Weyl. Our three best archers - and possibly six of our best ten.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,331 Followers
12