The Coffee Shop Ch. 04 - Beth

Story Info
Another challenge as Frances meets Beth happiness begins!
7.4k words
4.8
2.9k
9

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 04/30/2024
Created 04/05/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Coffee Shop - Ch. 4

Beth

By KAD

A/N - I continue slowly to recover from this recent medical journey I would like to share with you chapter 4 of this fun little fictional jaunt. Who knew a dreamy little tale like this would be so much fun, thinking back to what life could be like starting all over again.

Out into the cold Pittsburgh winter I turned left onto Liberty Avenue heading to the Clemente Bridge going to retrieve my car or at least disappear from this huge mistake.

She finally answered, "Help me please, just come get me Michaela!"

As I turned right onto 6th Street I cursed screaming "Damn you Caitlin!"

Three days after my "date" with McKenna I sent another text to Caitlin.

"Caitlin, please what have I done wrong that you will not answer me?"

As of midnight there was still no response. That night slept in Michaela's bed, crying into her shoulder.

*** End of Chapter 3 ***

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day came and went without much pomp and circumstance in my life. I chilled at home with Mom and Momma. Both Francis and Michaela had dates, I was happy for them.

Francis moved back into his dorm at CMU on the 3rd and Michaela went back to Chapel Hill on the 4th. I dropped her off at the airport without much drama knowing we would stay in touch.

My classes for the Spring semester started on the 6th. I was taking a full schedule to get the core subjects and requirements completed in preparation for my transfer application which was due at the end of the month.

The week after class started, I began my abbreviated work schedule: Monday, Tuesday afternoons, Saturday, a full day, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are class and study days. Sunday was my day to do what I needed.

I suppose you could say I buried myself in school and work. I hadn't heard a single word from Caitlin since December. Now over a full month without a peep, I have made the assumption it was a pipedream for me and a fling for her.

At the end of January I received a letter of confirmation from Point Park University that my application packet for transfer was received and being considered.

***

I was frustrated when leaving class this morning and ran to the coffee shop. I needed my solace and my refuge. There was a heated discussion in my HIST 205 class regarding the need to continue recognizing President's Day, which was next week. I blame our professor for the turbulence in class. He allowed things and the discussion to get out of hand.

I hugged Marcie and stole a deep wet kiss needing a bit of affection and comfort. I then made my way up front. The shop was slow, so I opened my text book on the counter, MUS 250 Music Theory II, already taken Music Theory Fundamentals and Music Theory I.

Over the last week, Marcie had put up a few decorations for Valentine's Day. I didn't make any snide comments yet I wasn't in the mood. Here I am single again not hearing anything from Caitlin. Happy Valentine's Day to me.

There were two customers in the shop. One appeared to be researching information on the Internet. They had their laptop open and a pen and a pad of paper on the side writing crazy notes. The other seemed to be just relaxing, and taking in the atmosphere of the shop.

I was working with one of the other baristas, Erin, a younger girl in her first year of college. Marcie had her eyes on her but she was overly girlish and too childish for me to even consider. However, I would never ever say anything to Marcie about who she loves. She still tolerates and loves me.

Marcie and I had a nice chat last week about my now single life. I felt my physical needs beginning to grow. After the McKenna debacle, which I should have known better, I decided to try harder focusing but there was a crack in the proverbial armor.

My needs were increasing therefore the aforementioned stolen kiss.

I heard the new chime ring indicating that a customer had just walked in. Erin looked over smiling.

"I got this, don't worry." I told her.

I looked and the stunningly beautiful woman walked towards the counter. She was dressed impeccably in a black wool overcoat and a dark blue business suit. Once the overcoat was opened I could see her skirt just below her knees, a pure white blouse and a string of pearls hanging perfectly at her neck. Her suit jacket buttoned. She was a woman of beauty and high class at that.

"May I start a coffee or beverage for you Miss?"

"Beth, not Miss. Please just Beth." She smiled. "Your house blend and a scone, I have heard they are amazing."

I rang her order and asked her to have a seat, I would bring her order out to her. As she turned I stood and watched her toned legs and sculpted calves. She spun on her black heels as they "click clacked" her way to a table.

I poured her coffee and plated her scone, I walked them to her table placing them a distance away from her now open tablet and folder of papers.

"Please enjoy Beth. Let me know if you need anything."

She didn't acknowledge me. She was focused on her table and her papers. I turned and went back up front studying. Not more than 20 minutes later, I heard the door chime ring. As I looked up I watched Beth walking out of the coffee shop, out into the bitter Pittsburgh winter afternoon.

My initial reaction, what a snobby and cold-hearted bitch! To not even acknowledge the fact her coffee and scone were delivered but not even a thank you or a response. Ugh!

I dislike people who aren't friendly. Yes, I am young and somewhat naive but come on!

I shrugged my shoulders and went to her table, retrieving the saucer, mug, and plate then wiped the table clean. I checked on the other two patrons and went back up front studying.

I closed up the shop that night. Driving home I saw a text from Michaela come through checking on me. I waited and thought I would text her when I got home.

When I got home I showered and sat with Mom and Momma exchanging texts with Michaela at the same time. Friday meant a full day of class and studying. I turned in rather early needing to be on campus at 8:30.

***

A full week later, Mom and Momma were gently dancing around the conversation and the topic of Caitlin. I wanted to blow up at them but I remained calm when I said I hadn't heard from her, not one simple text. For the first time I admitted to them, my family that she was a pipe dream and I was single.

Saturday morning I was at the shop bright and early at 5:00 to open the store at 6:00. Wolfie was already making fresh scones and muffins when I arrived. We chatted for a few brief moments, and I went ahead and started my tasks, preparing the store to open.

As has been standard for most Saturday mornings, it was our regular customers coming in grabbing the paper, their coffee and one of Wolfie's very popular scones or muffins.

A customer has recently posted a review on a social media page and it blew up. Marcie was thrilled as it drove business. Wolfie had his love hate relationship. A shy but wonderful man, he was now working double, making two and three batches at a time. We even put together a new large outdoor sandwich board featuring his baked goods.

I was out in the main table area, wiping down tables and collecting dishes when I heard the chime and a new customer walked in. They were dressed in a thick hooded coat, jeans and boots.

"Good Morning". I said and I made my way up front.

When I approached the counter, I recognized this woman. It was Beth from a week ago. Oh great I thought.

I smiled, "Hello Beth, welcome back. A house blend and a scone?" I inquired.

She smiled, "Yes but first I would like to extend my apologies. The other day when I left abruptly, I was called to a meeting."

Her head dropped some.

"Miss it's fine, I absolutely understand that business is important. Please have a seat and I will bring out your order."

She frowned and looked at my apron, "Frances is it?" I nodded. "Please not Miss, it's Beth. I tolerate it in the office but here please call me Beth."

She then smiled. "Frances is a pretty name."

I smiled and apologized, asking her to have a seat and I would bring her order in a moment. I gathered her coffee and her scone, placing it on the tray with a napkin and silverware.

Wait, really I am doing this! I never went this far!

I walked over to the table where she sat. Beth chose the table against the left wall not near a window. This table wasn't really able to be seen from outside. It seemed as if she wanted to be unnoticed.

I set the scone and the coffee and silverware one by one on the table. As I went to turn, she lifted her hand and placed it on the back of mine. She looked up and said that she was truly thankful for my kindness.

Oh god there was that thrill and tingle running up my arm to my neck and quickly down my spine. I looked down into her eyes, they were blue, deep blue, so beautiful. A pair of eyes I could look at every moment of my life. I felt myself blushing, I could feel a tingle in my core and I was nervous.

"I... I am happy to help." I turned and quickly moved to the front counter.

Why did I keep looking up from my book at her? Why was I looking at her when finished with other customers? What is wrong with me?

I finished with the customers and grabbed the cleaning cloth heading out to wipe down tables. Embarrassing to admit I had an ulterior motive. Beth's table was the last I paused at.

"Can I get you a refill, or anything else?" I placed my empty hand on the table.

She smiled, "A bit more coffee would be nice, thank you Frances." She smiled wider.

Lifting her now empty mug and saucer, I proceeded to the front, filling her mug and paused grabbing a new napkin. I made my way, setting her coffee down and 'accidentally on purpose' allowed my hand to brush up against her wrist.

I turned and walked back to the counter still nervous and frankly infatuated. It wasn't much longer, maybe 30 minutes when I heard a chair move and saw Beth was packing up her personal items. But this time her satchel was left on her chair. She picked up her mug, saucer, and plate and walked to the front depositing it on the counter. I paused and walked over.

"Thank you so much for the coffee and please thank your baker for the scone. It was just as good as the first one was." Beth commented.

"It was a pleasure to see you, Beth. I hope to see you again soon though I won't be working until Monday and Tuesday afternoons after class."

I smiled hoping for another interaction or comment but there wasn't. I watched her turn and retrieve her satchel and coat, then out to the cold and windy day.

I knew I was setting myself up for failure, but I had hoped to see Beth on either Monday or Tuesday at the coffee shop.

As I closed both nights at 9:00 I hadn't seen her. I was walking out of my Wednesday morning class when I turned my phone back on. I noticed a text message from an unknown number.

"Don't delete this. I want to see you but work has been hectic. Beth"

My knees shook and my heart started racing. I wanted to respond, but I felt I wanted to think straight first as I had two hours till my next class. I walked down the street to the Coffee Shop. I walked in and grabbed a table in the back hoping to be left alone to think.

I was sitting just staring at my phone when I heard her clear her throat. I looked up seeing Marcie with two cups of coffee.

"You need some coffee therapy!"

"Let me guess." I started. "You gave her my number when she called here asking for me."

Marcie sat after placing the two cups of coffee on the table. I took a sip of my coffee and held the mug in both of my hands. I looked at her and I said.

"I don't know what to do." I set the mug down and handed her my phone.

"What would you do?" I asked.

Marcie looked at my phone. She smiled, and then sat back in her chair. Before I could react her thumbs were moving. I inhaled sharply, almost lunging forward.

"What are you doing?"

I was a little too late as she smiled a second smile and handed me my phone back. I was almost afraid to look at my screen. She took her cup in hand and took a sip of coffee.

"You should look at the text "you" sent. You won't regret it."

Almost as soon as she had said that I felt my phone vibrate and heard the ping.

Yes, I love the Civic Light Opera and the Broadway series. The Saturday afternoon matinee is a fabulous idea. I will get the tickets and send details to you."

There was a second text almost immediately, And an early dinner? I will make a reservation."

Marcie looked at me and smiled "You asked what I would do and now you know." She stood and shrugged.

"I guess I need to find someone to work Saturday since you have a date."

I thought to myself, Date! I sat there with a hundred thoughts going through my mind then realized I had class soon. I took a few sips of my coffee and off I went back to campus and MUS 250.

My class Wednesday afternoon went very smoothly. That night I spent the entire evening studying as I was preparing for my midterm exam.

Right before bed, I saw Beth sent a text. "Sound of Music tix purchased, I hope you don't mind the seat location."

I responded by confirming I would meet her at the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts at 1:40.

"Yes, it's a date, see you then Frances." She replied.

A Date?

Was this really a date? Wait, I thought to myself, I am not ready to date. It's only been six weeks since I was truly able to admit I no longer had a girlfriend.

A date, no? I swiped my phone unlocking it.

"M, please call me. I need you dear sister. F"

For the next hour we chatted with her being the level headed person, balancing me. At the end of our conversation, she reaffirmed to me that it was an afternoon out with someone who just happened to be an extremely attractive woman.

Yes, that was my definition and how I described her.

Michaela felt I should relax, get some sleep and focus on my studies. So, that is what I did. My Thursday and Friday morning classes seem to fly by without me really having a grasp on where the time went but come lunchtime on Friday as I sat in the hub reviewing my history notes and prep for an exam I started to get nervous.

I woke early Saturday morning. I was nervous, stressed and worried. I needed a distraction. I went down and made a pot of coffee. I chatted with Mom and Momma when they woke up and came down. That did not go well.

I sent Francis a text, he didn't respond. Next I tried Michaela, she responded she was heading to the hospital to shadow the Social Worker she was assigned to and would call later. Frustrated and impatient I went and picked out my clothes. I selected black pants, a front button blouse and I decided on flats. I was impatient so I showered and went to the coffee shop.

Erin and Peyton were working when I arrived. I hugged Peyton, tall, dark olive skin, his not so scratchy goatee, and his muscular arms hugged me just tight enough.

God! If I wasn't gay.

We chatted for a while just trying to calm my nerves. At 1:20 I stood and exhaled then took a deep breath, left the coffee shop and drove across the bridge and drove from the coffee shop and parked in the Theater District garage. I knew I was early but turned on some music to relax.

I closed my eyes and relaxed just listening to my favorite female artist. She is the lead for a local band in Erie. She was singing their recent release. Part way through my phone pinged and I grew super nervous. I looked at my phone.

"I know it's early but I am out front. Are you close? B"

"Be there very soon. F" I replied.

In less than two minutes I crossed Penn Avenue. Once I crossed the street, I saw Beth standing out front in her wool overcoat almost shivering in the Pittsburgh cold. She caught my smile and my eyes locked on her. I approached her and she smiled wider.

"Ready? Let's get inside and get warm." She said and turned. I followed closely.

Once we were inside the vestibule, we went through security. Beth held the tickets for scanning, once scanned we entered the main lobby of the Benedum. It has been years since I've been here. We saw The Lion King together as a family in my sophomore year of high school.

Even though it had been a few years, I was familiar with the entrances and the levels of seating. I question things when following Beth she walked straight forward left of center on the first floor. I knew right away these were expensive and quality seats.

As we stepped through the doors, one of the volunteer ushers asked Beth if she needed assistance with her seats. She thanked them graciously, but said no, that she knew where she was going.

I started to get nervous with where she was walking closer to the stage and then finally she paused about 12 rows back. Our seats were left center stage and were just absolutely amazing. We took a few moments to get settled in our seats when she finally leaned over to me and asked if I was comfortable. I nodded my head in fear of sounding ungrateful or too nervous with my words.

The show was phenomenal. During the one and only intermission, I excused myself to the ladies room just to check the tiny bit of makeup that I wore, and to make sure that my hair was curled just a bit. She had asked if I wanted a glass of wine and I declined.

We stayed through the encore which was enjoyable and exhilarating. The show was phenomenal, the music astounding, the orchestra spectacular. We waited for others to clear from the seats. We slowly took our turn and made our way up the hall. I felt the back of her hand bump mine. I initially pulled back, but realized the tingling feeling I missed so much.

I then rotated my palm out, and reached for her hand, taking hold of it as we walked out of the Benedum Center. As we walked out, she inquired as to where I had parked. I shared with her the location, Theater Square Garage. We crossed over Penn Avenue down Seventh. She suggested that I ride with her to dinner.

"Beth, what about my car if I just follow you to the restaurant" I inquired.

She whispered softly in my ear. "Your car is fine here I can bring you back tonight..." She hesitated, then smiled, "Or in the morning."

I immediately shivered hearing that and held her hand a bit tighter. Fear set in as she led me to a jet black 740i BMW.

She unlocked the car and I quickly reached out and opened her door, holding it for her. She looked at me stunned. I just winked and watched her settle into the driver's seat.

Once she was seated I made my way around to the passenger side. She started the car and we made our way out of the garage. Beth turned onto Ft Duquesne Blvd, and then we made our way to Smallman Street, slowing down in front of Eleven, a posh restaurant.

"Beth, when we arrive let me assist you out of the car. Please?" I gently squeezed her hand.

I had a plan in my head, and I wanted to ensure that I planted the seed immediately with her. She looked at me as she stopped the car at the valet center, and nodded with a quizzical look on her face.

"Beth please understand I know what I'm doing if you would just follow my lead."

In reality, I had no idea what I was doing, but in my mind, I had an image of escorting this beautiful woman who paid for the tickets, and who had spent an amazing afternoon with me for dinner. It was the least I could do.

The valet opened her door as she parked immediately. I jumped out of the passenger side and walked around the back of the car to the driver's door.

"Allow me sir."

I moved forward as the valet stepped back. I held open the door and she turned slowly. I held my hand down and out for her, taking her hand in mine, she moved gracefully, standing up, using me for assistance.