All Comments on 'The Currency of Time Ch. 02'

by DanielQSteele1

Sort by:
  • 148 Comments
NudeInMaineNudeInMaine4 months ago

The guys of the law firm are reminiscent of ex. Asshole Trump. Lie. Lie. And if they don’t believe you, lie some more. Eventually lies become truths if they lie enough.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This was so bad it was almost hypnotic, I just had to keep going to see if it could get any worse, and it did, time after time after time, absolute rubbish.

tsgtcapttsgtcapt7 months ago

It's getting better... thank you.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

This clears up the drivel of part 1, but still makes little sense. Your story "When we were married" was much, much better.

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Hope

Hope in the final part,he destroys Hitman,her and her oil company.

tizwickytizwickyover 2 years ago

Burning the check for 10 million was merely a grand stunt, replacing a uncashed lost or destroyed certified check can be done very easily.

ChimeraLoveMeeChimeraLoveMeeover 2 years ago

I can clearly see that this story was build around that confrontation. A part of my brain knows that this is extremely unrealistic but it still gave me an adrenaline rush. I love stories with emotional confrontations and this one was the best at it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Hilarious comments

Anyone who has any banking history above a 12 year old’s passbook savings knows that certified/official/bank checks are easily replaced even if deliberately destroyed. Especially every lawyer in that room. Especially with officers of the court as witnesses. So either the author didn’t know that or it was just a dramatic ploy to impress first year secretaries and a couple of uniformed cops.

I’m giving it a 5* because it’s an awesome story despite the fact that the author (probably) started with the stunt and then wrote the rest of the story and it deserves no more than a 3* as the entire premise is wrong.

Since I can’t prove it, the 5* stands.

~Enkidu

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
FANTASTIC.

Great story with terrific building twists and turns, cant understand the negative reviews/comments, Second time reading won’t be the last,just 5⭐️.

RimmerdalRimmerdalalmost 4 years ago
So fuxed up

He could have taken the $10 million and burned everyone. Bogus.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
This isn't good writing.

the words flow, but the plot is absurdly convoluted. It's obvious to any intelligent reader that DQS is laboring through plot convolution after plot convolution to show how smart he is, and the unfortunate result is very nearly a parody of the crime genre. The scene of the meeting is actually farcical. BTW, any ADA would be absolutely obligated to take down so obviously corrupt a law firm, and the lawyers would never have stuck together.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitalmost 4 years ago

This is pretty shitty.....no way he burns the check and lets asshole win.

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Fantasy???

Nice story where the Manly husband is a closet CUCK for his slutty wife...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
WTF???

This has to be the dumbest, most contrived story ever written!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Dam it....

I can-t help but admire Michael

addi01edaddi01edover 4 years ago
So

Contrived, so stupid

Went downhill fast

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 5 years ago
Too much melodrama and too much fantasy

The things are complex but not believable. I do like serious creative plot but ping-pong with law enforcement is not believable at all, very artificial.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Anonymous

You should turn this into a movie!

Seriously its brilliant!

1wrngrght1wrngrghtover 6 years ago
Time is Currency

***** well done.

It's a STORY dickwads...sheesh. You probably argue for hours over which is better - Star Wars or Star Trek (not to mention original vs TNG vs etc) [oh, by the way...they arn't real].

Don't bore with your evidence arguments or a "real" lawyer would never crap. We have an admitted sexual predator as Prez and a pedophile about to be elected to the Senate. CEO's cheat and plunder with abandon and you're worried about the "law?" There is NO LAW, the guilty go free and the innocent are punished - it happens every fucking day - there is only what you do about the situation you find yourself in and what might or might not result from that.

Great story man.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Are you richard gerald

This was just awful. Absurd does not describe it. The tape was turned over to police they did not illegally tape it. Makes it legal, especially due to the content.

The men in your stories are supposed to be tough, but in reality they are children.

MightyHornyMightyHornyalmost 7 years ago
Motherfucker...

... I don't like Michael McCarthy.

I especially do not respect him. At all.

Saw what he was going to pull with the money way early... it truly was like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Yeah, he has his reasons for doing what he did... but you know what? FUCK HIS REASONS.

In my book, he's just another pathetic sucker dreamed up by DQS... 'know what, strike that - he's actually the biggest sucker Steele ever came up with. It seriously was like reading a goddamn Matt Moreau story.

A.... NY... WAY... It's unsurprisingly very well written, and, FML, I'm actually curious to see how the author will manage to force Deidre back into her idiot ex-husband's life. I'm invested, is what I'm saying... not at all happy about it, but it is what it is.

'Needs to be mention, though: however I feel about this story, Michael McCarthy. 'Cannot have any respect for any bozo willing to burn out $10 millions to prove how pathetically devoted he is to his cheating wife. He's a bonafide fool, and I ain't rooting for no fool.

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 7 years ago
Terrible.

There might as well have been Martians in the room and Elvis doing a striptease for Jimmy Hoffa, just to add some realism.

2*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Really???

Is this really written by DQS, or just ghost-written? The "Do the right thing always" Maitland is going to coordinate that raid as a show, then let a whole office of corrupt frauds and an admitted rapist walk with all of the rancour that engendered, simply so that the rapist could get $10M? The story from his point of view would be the emotional turmoil of prosecuting the rape in spite of friendship and the later marriage.

And, any follow-ups should include an IRS manhunt looking for just over $3M; that was taxable income -it couldn't be considered a splitting of assets as there was no divorce.

Probably wouldn't have bothered commenting if it had been typical Literotica writer, but expected way more from this one. Of course, I should have known when the first chapter went from a story to a story outline that the author was just playing with an idea, not invested in his creation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Extremely Gratified ....

to have DQS come out of limbo and provide his wonderful writing skill, talent and creativity to LitErot site readers. Just really missed his contributions. Entertainment non-pareil. This story just really, really has put the cherry on 2015 for me. Please DQS ....I know writing is draining and really saps the creative juices ....BUT please continue and do not drift away again for such an extended time. I have been in serious withdrawal at not having my DQS fixes.

Thank You !!!

LM

Serious Fan

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago
Loving it

five stars and a favorite. The fight between the security guy and the cop was a bit distracting. Made sense later in the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Master of dialogue

By far the best dialogue on this site - no idea if that gift is natural or from a helluva lot of practice, but easily the most believable convos around here, well done.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
This

had a few good moments in it. It is only a scene, but it is a pretty good scene.

Let me get this off my chest first. That little segment with the cop and the SAS guy? WHAT THE FUCK! Came out of nowhere, had no background. Tried to add humor to the story, but all it did was pull the reader out of the story. I was honestly flabbergasted at that entire exchange. Life is sometimes like that, but the fact that EVERYONE treated it as normal and natural...just...ugh!

The crime drama stuff was good. The emotions were good. I did not like the ending. Burning the check. I have written a scene like that but it's a cliché. And honestly, I could see no reason why he would not want to rub Gutman's face in it. I see the symbolism. I do. One does not live on symbols. He could have financed a dozen explorations which eviscerated her company. But he burned the check to make him seem like a bigger man...who fucks other mens wives without a conscience.

And again, I do not get the depth of his love for her. It's been TWO YEARS. The few scenes we have seen with her, she was a bitch. A troublesome spoiled bitch. That tape is a Hail Mary to make her NOT seem a bitch. But after spending something like 70 pages writing her as a bitch, no...that momentary flash of conscience (something the lead ALSO noted...and isn't he one to talk!) not enough.

Still, a wild ride so far.

rixelsrixelsover 8 years ago
Idiot

The father thought he was worth at least 10 mil. Even Deirdre thinks $10mil is OK. Why doesn't Michael think that he is worth 6.67% of the total? It just comes off as a cheap stunt. He thinks that he is making a statement by burning the check. What he is really doing is showing them he is an idiot.

ErotFanErotFanover 8 years ago
Another great one, but...

Why do they have to be so long and drawn out? And so full of "lawyer talk." (Because it's your forte, I guess.)

But the plot line sounds all too familiar. Regular guy (but tough and belligerent) gets shit on by the love of his life and walks away with his head held high. I haven't read the rest of the chapters yet but if true to form he'll have dalliances with other hot women, eventually finding on he will marry. He will have an opportunity to beat Gutman to a pulp. Deirdre will see the error of her ways, somehow. Ending with not everyone living happily ever after.

Let's see how good a prognosticator I am.

BTW. Did I saw I gave it 5 stars and have you as one of my favorite authors? You do write taut prose.

P.S. I like Maitland character in all your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Great story DQS, love it 5*

I presume this took place before Debbie betrayed and left Bill because of his hair and paunch. Not sure if it is referred to in WWWM, will have to check.

Deirdre is quite some slut bitch from hell to do that to him just to placate her asshole boyfriend but is also very vulnerable. I think she may be in for a serious fall and deservedly and hopefully so but where will it go from there I wonder....

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Let the boobs and whiners wail....

....they simply aren't capable of enjoying anything.

And I think several of the yardsticks in the audience are a few inches short....

Looking forward to the next two chapters, warts and all.

And I hope shithead gets his ass kicked, but good!

sdc97230sdc97230over 8 years ago
No, no, no on burning the check

No way should Julian have ended up with that $10M. If Michael didn't want it, then one of the people he had waiting in the wings to come at the press of a button should have been a rep from some charity for disabled oil drilling workers or a legal fund for cheated on husbands so he could make a big show of endorsing that check over to them.

InescuInescuover 8 years ago
Nice Cameo

I can't see how Deirdre would have anything to do with shithead. I would hope you explain her attraction other than the basic 'first love' tripe. She's not stupid and he's so obviously a opportunistic predator that it's hard to see why she'd want to throw away her marriage for him.

Looking forward to more.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 8 years ago
Its like a bad episode of the old TV show LA LAW

As a story this is fabulously well written...as one would expect from a DQS story. Looking at the plot this is as AWFUL as the chapter 1. The plots holes are massive and when the reader when spends time thinking that plot holes, the story quality goes down

for example once Micheal had the tap he had all the proof he needed to show the law firms was 100% corrupt and this was a massive criminal conspiracy

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
a cameo visit for some of the characters

I was surprised the Angel of Death let his hair grow back.

I'm hoping 03 and 04 are better than this.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusover 8 years ago
Down in flames

Seriously depressing hot mess of a story. Convoluted and aimless.

Nobody9999Nobody9999over 8 years ago
Characters

I enjoy your writing style, your characters are at a depth that is seldom seen on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I knew it was going to be good but ....Bill Maitland!

Congrats. I knew it was going to be good. But I had no idea it would be this good. Five out of five. But I never suspected Bill Maitland would appear. I have died and gone to DQS1 heaven (which is located in Jacksonville if anyone is wondering.)

Where to begin. I loved everything about the confrontation in the lawyers' office. I loved how McCarthy had a plan right from the beginning and made it work. I actually lost track of the arguments and counter arguments, moves and reverses at some point in the middle. I will go back and read it again and it will all be clear I'm sure.

Everyone's motivation makes total sense. First love, Catholicism, fake amnesia, him knowing it was fake because her father told him she had a crush on him for years was brilliant. Her protecting him from her crazy lover. Bill Freaking Maitland.

I understand McCarthy not sending her to jail after she saved his live, but I would have kept the money. I know he wanted to send everyone a big FU. But money is money.

Now a constructive criticism. The two-year time jump moves the story along quickly but I would have liked a couple of paragraphs showing they have a loving relationship in those two years. Maybe celebrating an anniversary or Christmas. Nothing huge but something. If the author expands this into a published story he might consider that.

I don't know if this story is over or continuing. Clearly Dierdre is hooking up with a psycho and I think she half knows it. If the story continues I would love to learn how she got back together with him.

Lastly a big thank you to the author for giving us this story. I hope there is more. Cheers Steve

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
4*s

I gather that the rust came off with the 1st chapter.First the good, then the bad.

This one started slow but the plotting got better and better. The old hand at dialogue returned. About time,too!

The characters are not well developed and suffer the lack of emotional connection. At least to me, it looks like a razzle-dazzle plot. A substitute for emotional development of your characters. Very unlike your old stories. Maybe you are in a hurry.

Regardless of that defect ,gave you 4*s. This is better than 90% of the rest of this site.

I look forward to the next chapter. I am very

AMerryman

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THE LAWYERS CODE OF HYPOCRISY

they all have to realize that from now to eternity they had better never ever make a faux pas tort. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
One more chapter?

Feels like there could be another chapter a couple of years down the road. Excellent writing as usual.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Movie of the Week.

DQS1 trying to write a movie of the week.

ACP45ACP45over 8 years ago
Interesting

It looks like Michael lost big without having gained anything. I guess I will withhold judgement until the rest of the story is posted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Interesting....but a bit too unrealistic

No way the number 2 guy in the DA office participates in that and "settles" for Micheal getting his $10 million. Guy of that stature gets personally involved then butts are going to jail.

Once he had the recording and confirmed the truth. Why even bother with the multi-layered dramatic bullshit? Micheal should have produced the original recording and let "Uncle Mort" go to jail. Mort failed to honor her fathers (his friends wishes). Mort should have made it his business to make sure the boy friend stayed out of the picture.

If the reason for Micheal to go through all that was to get $10 million to piss the boy friend off, how does burning the check accomplish that for more than the 40 minutes delivery and burn time?

Maybe the next installments will answer some of these questions. Three Stars for this effort.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
DEIDRE MIGHT BE OK

but Julian has to be looking over his shoulders for a long time, Maybe. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
wanna bet

how long "Julie" goes before trying to remove Dede? If he is willing to kill over $10 million, what won't he do for 150 million dollars?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Post part3 FAST!

Great tale!I am still confused to know where this STORY is coming...

brujaybrujayover 8 years ago
Idiot commenters…

If you only read two out of the four installments promised, then the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, if you wait for all four installments, you might get the complete story and enjoyed immensely!

Idiots!

Welcome back, DQS. You have been sorely missed. Thank you as always for sharing your stories.

Brujay

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
ending just fucking ruined it, I gave it a 1

UNREALISTIC he left with nothing what a dummy

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
This tale dont make any sence

After all is a wimp tale, he never should married this slut,he first isa macho and became a wimp.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 8 years ago
The more we see on Lit, the better this story looks.

Even with plot holes, the writing and the ambitious outline Q is laying out makes him one of the best, if not the best writer here. (There are several very good writers on Lit., although they do not post often enough!) We have a very capable man that has been traveling the world. His ex-wife's lawyers think he keeps all of his small savings in US banks, like any idiot would do. That would be second only to marrying the skank he was saddled with, in the struggle for dumbest move of the century. Our hero had no money worries (Besides, burning a cashier check will not necessarily preclude him from getting the money. He should have a receipt as well. If he loses the check, he can get it replaced. I can't count the number of times I've misplaced ten million bucks.) Now we have an angry, dangerous, capable, and perhaps wealthy man wandering around the planet. We all know that his skanky wife will be needing him soon and he'll step up to the plate, leading us readers to wonder just how dumb this fucker really is! On his worst day, Q vastly raises the quality of writing in Lit. Just read through today's offerings in LW.

texcavemantexcavemanover 8 years ago
3 Hours later

Mike the modern day WILDCATTER and gambler was on a plane leaving the country.

Hmmm, maybe a followup would have Mike as the future oil tycoon and the eventual owner of OIL with some kind of take over for pennies on the dollar that left DeDe with a fraction of her previous wealth and also a single mom once her husband ran away when there was no money.

And of course Mike would keep the name OIL for respect of his former FIL and to keep the company going as one of his holdings.

Just a thought.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Welcome Back

This is another very intriguing story from DQS. I got a bit lost in some of the oral wrestling matches during the meeting and had to think through some of the subtle facets of the duels. I assume the next two installments will clarify what was done and why. One surprise is Bill Maitland. He must have stopped going to the gym since he had been getting pretty buff for a while.

Carry on Daniel!

Tiny Tim

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
What a brilliant Fuck-Up...

What was DQS1 thinking? In my wildest dreams I could not have “fucked-up” a character worst than he/she did with Michael McCarthy. He/she took him from a no-nonsense oil roughneck/explorer to a dim wit cuckold who lacked pride and self respect. Harsh words...damning criticism...YES but I mean it. Let's review the facts:

Micheal burned-up tons of “political capital” by using William Maitland and Dallas Edwards in this 'get back my ego/pride' charade. Was there a crime? Were there criminals involved? William Maitland walked away empty handed. I doubt if William Maitland or Dallas Edwards would ever take even a phone call from Michael McCarthy after this aborted fiasco.

Micheal burned-up tons of “financial capital”...ten millions dollars to be specific. What did he gain by sitting smug and arrogant smoking a Cuban phallus (sorry for the pun) and burning up a check for ten millions dollars? Didn't he realize that after a pre-determined amount of time when the check was no cashed that the bank would return the funds to the original account? Then Julian Gutman would get what he wanted and our “anti-hero” would be out not only the ten million dollars but even the offer of a quarter of a million dollars. In effect Michael McCarthy walked out of that room poorer then when he walked into it...there would be NO financial settlement (reward) in the divorce for him.

Micheal burned up tons of “personal capital” when he first used his own funds to hire Dr. Teller and Mr. Earl Wilson to provide expert testimony to support his claim that his wife was faking her amnesia. Then he just let all that expert testimony go to waste and evaporate. These two men were highly respected professionals and the way that Micheal 'used' them was an insult to their professional integrity. After Dr. Teller witnessed Micheal burning up that check for ten million dollars he probably thought that Micheal needed professional psychiatry help more than his wife needed it. Even though Earl Wilson was paid for his investigative work, Micheal basically burned-up those hard-to-find facts and so Earl Wilson was not a happy man.

Finally Micheal left that conference room and “rode off into the sunset on his trusty steed” with his renewed ego/pride in tact! Whoa! ! Micheal couldn't ride off into the sunset because poor Micheal didn't even own a fuckin' horse…and Julian Gutman was still sitting at the table with his shit-eating-grin knowing he got the wife and ALL her millions.

Too bad Michael that you didn't have an author who could make you into a “real hero”.

P.S. The reason I'm submitting this comment as Anonymous is the fact that after my last criticism of a DQS1 story, he/she came after me with both guns blazing...enough said.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
wtf?

Everyone in this story is a piece of shit. Even Maitland was subpar. Really lame ending.

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 8 years ago
He fucking raped her?

How is that possible when that was her plan to begin with? Remember? Pass out and pull a train. Of course, that doesn't absolve him of guilt; and we are reminded that no matter how interesting the plot is; who cares! I'm looking for the finale where they all loose.

funksofunksoover 8 years ago

A bank cheque is money, not just the promise. Its a guarantee of cleared funds and payment. No way would he have had a regular cheque at this time.

I just don't get why Maitland wasted all that time and resources to stage a performance.

And DQS still hasn't shown a single sign of why he would marry this woman or care.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Fantastic

DQS,

I just knew Maitland would show up, fantastic. I love that dinky dicked, pudgy, balding tuff as nails DA. He is one hell of a character in a really good story. I'd like to see Maitland star in a Hollywood film.

However, I'm a little irritated with you, DQS - you just disappeared from everywhere; but welcome back. Can't wait for chapter 3.

5x5x5

pilot4pilot4over 8 years ago
Captain Smith in the library with a pipe wrench......

I like your stuff, but this is not your brightest moment. The husband turns out to be an idiot, the wife a moronic slut, while the boyfiend, attorneys, security guards/cops and misc. employees are so unbelievably stupid that they defy definition. A better title might have been "The Waste of Time Ch. 02:". Out of respect for your previous work I did not give it a rating. Thanks for the effort and I look forward to your next story.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanover 8 years ago
Sorry, I have not read it, so I can't comment

But I did read HDK's observations and felt the story is not, up to this point, worth it. Hopefully it gets better towards the end; if so, I will read it. The author has proven himself to be an exceptional writer, so that's not the problem.

Mystery and frustratingly weak characters doing stupid things are not my kind of reading. Have no problem with supremely smart but evil characters doing heinous things, however... Hopefully the story becomes the latter rather than the former. Again, if so, I will read it in one sitting, as I like long, developed stories...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
He wasn't trying to stick it to Deirdre

He demonstrated that the gauntlet of lawyers, poised to win at any cost, would not prevail. His resources stretched way beyond what the investigators assumed were his meager finances. Burning the check did not destroy the money- just puts it in Limbo for a while. By the time Deirdre gets it back, I'll bet there won't be a Guttman. Our hero Is fighting on his terms as his own man. He knows when to break bone and when to pull back- for his own sense of fair play.

What I really enjoy about the damaged women in DQS stories is that when they finally get it, when they finally realize what they gave up, it changes them for the better. I can't stand cuck stories. They make me physically ill trying to imagine that kind of pain. These men don't bend over and take it. They take action in ways, that for some of the female "villains" at least, creates something better, stronger, and more sustainable. Respect has to finally show up and in a big way to save any relationship. Revenge only destroys. Sometimes people do "wake up" and it is life changing. Sometimes they don't. Nothing you can do. Que sera, sera. Find someone better.

Guttman didn't win. Deirdre's wealth is tightly controlled. If he tries that shit with her handler's, he'll be the one to disappear regardless of what she wants. She will require a strong hand. Our hero just has to decide if she is worth it. Right now...it doesn't look good for her. I bet in the space of two more chapters, McArthy will discover something that has him reevaluating.

DC

rebolzrebolzover 8 years ago
Great first chapter

A great first chapter but a little disappointed in the 2nd. A little long and drawn out. A waste of using Maitland. Drug it out a bit much. Could have been done in 2 or 3 pages. Burning the check reminds me of the scene in the movies where the hero is walking away from the big, grand explosion. Not realistic as anybody would like to see his handywork. Too much effort to get the 10 mill, so get it and have a great life. No making a point is worth burning up 10 million.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
2 stars

Ending is stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
another chapter, another lousy ending????? thanks for the read.

first,

no one liked the end of chapter one either.

so give it a rest until we get the whole story.

second,

maitland is the weak character, not the husband.

i can't believe maitland went as far as he did without being 100% sure he could go to trial and convict.

he is going to have to do some fast talking to his boss.

the husband just ''out maneuvered" a multi-million dollar law firm with 15 lawyers sitting at the table.

they brought him in for a ''conversation'' as a way to learn what he knew.

and he beat them, hands down. he got his money, 10 million.

there is nothing weak about that.

there is also nothing weak about dumping a cheating wife.

which he also did.

third,

a check is a promise of money,

not the actual money.

if you win the lottery and your house burns, with the check, before you get to the bank,

you have not lost the money.

he can still prove the money was never paid.

they can prove he received the check,

but not the actual money.

i doubt that is how it will be played in this story, but that is the way it is.

if DQS really wanted the money gone,

giving to a charity would have been more final.

but WAY less dramatic.

the other shoe is about to drop.

what about the stock options daddy offered son-in-law????

or what ever.

plus, he still loves her.???????

anything could happen.

oh yeah,

what about the asshole bf, didn't he ''conspire to commit murder'' on the tape.

just because she did not agree, does that mean he's not guilty????????????

i'm just glad i didn't have to wait for 2 weeks for this chapter.

thanks,

JCE.

kdcee79kdcee79over 8 years ago
Good one

Well, DQS, another top flight story, well crafted & unusual, I really liked the use of Maitland from WWWM. I don't understand some of the Anon;s comments how they didn't like or understand why Michael burnt the cheque ( correct spelling ), but that's part of the beauty of this ending, giving the 2 cheaters the proverbial finger in the best manner. Well done. 5 * * * * *

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Great story!

He burned the check because it was never about the money to him!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
This story is to bizarre. It makes very little sense

You bring all these characters in to this showdown. Only to have him win and burn 10 million dollars. Why? The lover was going to put a hit on him. What kind of women did he marry. So bizarre and now he leaves the country knowing he was a marked man. The twists and turns are crazy . Does it. Make any sense? Does he set up Gutman for a fall.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Burn

Would have rather seen him split the 10 million between a Woman's shelter and the FOP. That would put Jules on his toes....

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good read

But the end of part 2, didn't make any sense! Why would you throw 10 million away? As soon as the shithead gets access to her money, he's going to have Michael disappear. The only way for Michael to stay alive is to have the asshole killed first. Once the asshole is shark bait, how is he supposed to get revenge on the cheating cunt without the money to start his own company and bankrupt hers. It just doesn't add up. Makes him look like a total loser!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well

that's forty-five minutes of my life I'll never get back. I feel totally cheated after reading all that. A whole lot of build-up, for a whole lot of nothing. When's the last time you saw a movie where, just when the hero had the villain cornered and at his mercy, he merely smacked the bad guy across the face and left?

But then again I don't know why I expected anything different from Mr. Steele. He's got a penchant for these M. Night Shyamalan-like "twists", and they're just as dumb and nonsensical in these stories as they are in M. Night's movies. I think this will be the last DQS1 story I ever read, 'cause there's really no point anymore.

green117green117over 8 years ago
Excellent work!

This one clarified something I never understood. Now, the "poor little rich girl" thing has been done, but I didn't see the bits as clearly before, and in particular the way to manipulate drama queens by upping their engagement in their own drama.

The heavy (though Julian is a lightweight) is in a situation he can't deal with - fer one, he has no instinct for what it takes to deal with real money - $10 mil when $100+ is at stake? It just set him up for the end of this piece, which is his comeuppance - he is shown to be essentially small. And... "Teachers Can Conjugate All Night."? He could barely keep his job, which is a good thing since he seems to have a tendency to beat up little girls and get them pregnant...

And of course torching the cheque has a number of cute things going on in it - he shows D. that his regard for her was not based in money, something she will learn to regret - he gets to get his expression of total disdain for J.... though that is lightweight amusement... and finally, he gets to leave, since self destruction to cover ones commitment is only required once.

I look forward to the next sections - it is kinda clear most of whats going on, since in fact I think you wrote the story before (and referenced it with a walk on)... I want to see it all in one place, and I want to see how the anonymice deal with it!

Thanks again,

Green-something

(plot holes? maybe - I don't remember Matt, and I think he will be a player - my guess is savior/next lover, Mort's commitment to the process makes no sense - he has a greater duty to D. than her father? And, I want to see more of the meat of the protagonist in the wrap-up... what kind of guy is he really?)

icebreadicebreadover 8 years ago
Welcome back Daniel.

nuff said

nonethewisernonethewiserover 8 years ago
One more reason

I think it's a setup ( the exact nature of which I don't really know):

Nothing we know about Maitland suggests he'd just walk away from massive corruption. This happens just a year before WWWM and the Maitland we know is willing to risk all, including his life, for justice. Hard to see him walking away from a tape of a proposed murder.

There is more here than meets the eye (I think).

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
it says a 2 part story.

But it sure needs more, the ending was awful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Read the intro...

As DQS said in the beginning there are four parts!

Another great story...loved the intro of Maitland! Blew me away, fell off the chair laughing.

Can't wait for the next instalment!

Thanks DQS!

C

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A little bit overblown

Partially very unrealistically, but written very thrilling.

Waiting for the last 2 parts. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
if this is the end it really blows.

This is a little guy swinging at windmills, his wife cheated, lied, schemed, broke his heart, the assholes win. Depressing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Sengimax and Whackdoodle said it all...

...very properly written and an interesting, unusual plot, but the ending simply sucks too much for a voting you might deserve. Until the last page I hoped you would still turn it around; regretably, though, you chose your own path.

Well, I guess you cannot suit everybody and I am certain you will get the voting you deserve.

kjohns2001kjohns2001over 8 years ago
Sad.......

Very sad on so many levels. First, as much as it pains me to do so, I cannot rate this one. The writing is fine mind you but the ending sucks, for myself at least, to the extent that I cannot find it within myself to even do a single star rating. No one wins here, no one. The lawyers are exposed as corrupt, to an extent that far exceeds the levels of corruption normal to almost all lawyers. Even though the story leaves them not facing any charges Maitland and his boss, along with everyone else involved, knows that they are corrupt. The law itself loses because justice is not done. Because of that Maitland loses. The husband loses the love of his life as well as the ten million, money he can replace, but not the loss of his wife. That will ruin his life forever no matter how much money he makes from that point on. The cops lose because their leader is now known to be corrupt. The ones that were with Maitland would always know that the ones who didn't side with him are not worthy of the badges they wear. That would have far reaching consequences from that time forward.

The wife loses because she has traded in a decent man for a man who has not only demonstrated a willingness to commit murder but one who has also demonstrated a willingness to physically hurt her. It does not take much of an imagination to see that someday she will stop loving her lover, and when she does he will either kill her or have her killed.

The lover will lose eventually because he is the type that will go through even the kind of money that the wife has, ruining the company in the process, quicker than anyone would think possible. He will eventually either be killed himself or be sent to prison for his crimes. And since Maitland knows he is guilty of planning a premeditated murder can anyone doubt that Maitland would not make it a point to find out everything he does from that point on?

I'm not saying don't read this story, but if you do just accept that it is a story where everyone loses. Sad, depressing and denying any hint of any kind of justice, this is just not a story I can bring myself to rate. I still respect the author for his writing ability, and he remains one of my favorite authors. I just wish that Maitland could at least have found a way for justice not to have lost in this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Great Story

Another great DQS tale. I suppose there are some lawyers that are this crooked but not the ones I know. Nevertheless, great imagination and good writing. A combination hard to beat.

anon.1

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
another never ending saga!

too long....

t_i_n_at_i_n_aover 8 years ago
Hmmm

Didn't anyone notice there are two more installments to this terrific story?

WyldcardWyldcardover 8 years ago
Thanks for the read

Probably mostly disappointed in Mort. He's her godfather. He was her father's close friend. His job isn't just to do her bidding as her lawyer, it's to look out for her. He undoubtedly was quite familiar with what Julian did. It sounds like it was possibly statutory rape, they undoubtedly had evidence. He also knows Julian was money hungry then and can see he probably is now due to the focus on $10m. With the playing of the tape of proposed murder, and taking Dierdre down if she tried to stop him, he should be even more opposed to Julian. He knew Orion would be aghast by this. Hopefully, he will have more of a voice in further chapters.

Also, the main character spent a lot of money and favors to get distractions into the hospital, to plant bugs and tap phones, to secure Maitland's support (and Dallas'). Particularly with Dallas, to go through all this, shame a major set of donors and not even end up with anything to show for it isn't very politically wise. Burning the money or no, it is hard to see why Maitland went along with this. This is a waste of political and legal capital for the State's Attorney with no pay off, no case, no press, nothing. Plus, why would the protagonist be volunteering an email to a prosecutor that states he raped Dierdre?

That said, your writing is entertaining and engaging as always. Look forward to future

maninconnmaninconnover 8 years ago
Yeah!

DanielQSteele is back....and he brought Maitland with him. This week keeps getting better. Next chapter, puhleeeeeze! Por Favor! Prego! S'il vous plait!

nonethewisernonethewiserover 8 years ago
I wonder

The wife is just so over the top despicable, and the husband is so weak for a guy who was a pussy hound just two years before, and the tapes are so incriminating, that I wonder if this isn't all a crazy setup, where Deidre and Michael are in on it and she whored herself for some purpose. I know it's nuts, but I just can't see how Michael's behavior makes sense as written. And it would explain why Deidre was so negative about having Michael killed. I say there is another major twist left to see.

If not, this is a cartoon. A well written cartoon, but a cartoon nonetheless.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Since it's set prior to WWWM....

I wonder if we'll get to see the lovely Debbie Maitland as well...?

JounarJounarover 8 years ago
big build-up, bigger let down

Jasonnh and HDK summed this story up perfectly.

Seriously, why would Michael go through all that hassle just to walk away with nothing? The 10 million ment nothing to his wife but would at least piss off the scumbag boyfriend big time and hell, he could of donated the money to a charity rather than just burn the check!

@ xylem69

Michael will take the tramp back in chapter 4. DSQ's stories while always well written, basically boil down to an over the top evil woman shiting on a good man and he then takes her back after accepting 99.9% of the blame for any issues they had for bullshit reasons.

RichardGeraldRichardGeraldover 8 years ago
Good Start But

It is difficult to know how to react to this story by clearly the universal favorite writer on the site. Chapter 01 starts out very good. It reads like a good slow setup for a mystery or suspense story. Think Alfred Hitchcock’s “Rebecca.” It feels fast paced with a bit of foreshadowing although it is slow and takes it’s time to develop character. The chapter ends where the story actually begins. The wife has been in an accident. She claims amnesia, but is it for real? Forces are trying to keep the husband from her. What is going on? Who is the villain? We have reached Manderley, and the dark shadows are descending.

And now for something completely different. Chapter 02 is a disaster. It is tell not show. It feels like a bad imitation of a thirties mystery where all the principles are assembled to expose the killer. And just as it starts to get interesting again we have the deus ex machina in the form of a character borrowed from another story. One Bill Maitland comes charging in to totally muck things up. Leaving aside the obvious TV view of legal procedure (I have learned that being factually accurate in this area is rarely appreciated) what does this character add? The MacGuffin has already been exposed (millions in the prenup) by the time he appears. We know who the bad guy is (the evil former boyfriend), and what the motive is just plain ego.

Supposedly, there are two more parts to this story and with such a good writer it may well get back on the rails. It is no longer a mystery, and there is a lack of suspense. Maybe it climbs out of the hole as some kind of romance. I certainly hope it does

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
good tale

glad to have you back. never thought it would happen/l

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Time's up, and the dollar is fake

Holy fucking bullshit - it's like you're trying to channel Matt "I just love her so much" Moreau. Why? One is more than enough. Ok, you've got way better writing skills sure, but that doesn't excuse the bat shit crazy convoluted legal legerdemain that made up part 2. And nothing explains the two year absence.

xylem69xylem69over 8 years ago
Where to Go from Here

He should have donated the money and would have still kept the high ground. He takes after his dad and father in law - money means little to him. Her lawyers if they were gong to play games should have fronted the $10m made him sign the release for 250k and billed her back for the $10m. Or she gives hubby the $10m and shit brains is told he took the 250k how would he know the difference?

Where are we going? Hubby takes on OIL finds massive deposits becomes super wealthy, meanwhile the a holes at OIL fuck things up hubby buys it out and throws the cunt and dick head out in the street.

slaverowanslaverowanover 8 years ago
Fantastic!!!

Just wish I could find the rest of "When we were married". I have the second book but it promised more. Just never seemed to be able to find it. Fantastic!!!

5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
powerful

I loved this story. few minor mistakes/figures can be avoided. I ws glued wd ur story. m hoping to read more from u. keep it up

muffdiver11muffdiver11over 8 years ago
Maitland Tie In

One of the most outstanding things, & one that makes your stories stand out, is the way you bring back & tie in characters from past stories. Maitland, Davidson, Hunt Bank, Stu, etc. Your individual stories are like supporting chapters from WWWM.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
LMAO

So a man who has help find so many oil fields is worth just $35k after few expenses on a psychiatrist and PI? Ludicrous

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A Few Discrepancies

An heiress to a international oil exploration and production company would be worth far more than 150 million.

A few more minor ones are there but certainly don't take away from DQS story.

He's still one of the top 5 Authors here.

Very enjoyable.

openeyes2openeyes2over 8 years ago
Well written, but......

I agree with Harddaysnight assessment. Who would like these characters. The contrived plot where the husband is victimized. Lawyers who commit unbelievable acts of malfeasance. A selfish woman who loves the guy who was paid off by the father to get lost. I know there are four chapters in all. What is there to like. She is in love with a loser and thinks it is is noble not have a decent man killed. i will probably read the rest of the story but if the end does not justify the means, I will not read another story by this author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I agree

@impo_61 To donate charity, sciences, something other from the $10 million is better than to burn it! BTW 5*****

Duna

Benedict12Benedict12over 8 years ago
Destructive Power of Love

DQS has become the bard of the broken hearted male--the men who learn that no one can hurt them quite so much as the women who once filled their lives with love. He has also shown in his insightful story telling that a desire to forgive has a uniquely redeeming quality worth cherishing. Will Michael ever forgive Deirdre? Can she ever do anything to merit that act? I don't know but I will eagerly await DQS's next word on the subject. Given the title of the story I expect that any resolution will take time to play out. As to this latest installment I was enthralled by the blend of dark satiric humor(I am a retired lawyer so I can sympathize with the urge from Shakespeare onward to dispose of the legal profession), the thrust and counterthrust of mental strategy, and the sharp development of character. The dominating presence of William Maitland before he became The Angel of Death was particularly welcome. (Query Was that a walk on appearance by the monstrous mother in law of Separate Vacations?) I particularly liked Michael's handling of the cashier's check. Some critics have found that unrealistic but I was reminded of a scene in The Quiet Man when John Wayne's character burned his wife's dowry. Placed in context it was an act of heroic contempt. In many of DQS's stories many of his wronged husbands have their own character flaws. Michael on the other hand seems to be maturing into a man of true nobility.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous