All Comments on 'The Dairy State Boy, The Final'

by DavidPatrick

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I really love your stories and your writing style. It’s different then the majority of stories submitted here and shows a deep understanding of human nature.

I am immeasurably sad for Kevin. He’s 50 years old and still and always ultimately alone, accepting the scraps from his partners. He allowed himself a 10 year relationship hoping he’d be the exception, but once again permitted his partner to set all the rules. After 2 years of grief, he yet again picked someone unattainable.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This chapter, your story and this character of Kevin are all so very sad. He makes strong visceral connections sexually but he never connects with them on a deep emotional committed level - even David who only committed to a finite 10 years. I have to say that is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Why leave exactly at 10 years on the actual anniversary itself. Why not the next day or a month later or another 5 years if things are so great still. David may think leaving early is best but he destroyed Kevin for years after (and probably did the same to Kyle). And David can’t truly avoid pain and misery by leaving guys he loves repeatedly. Kevin is now 50 and continues to pick men who are unavailable to him. It’s sad and pitiful. Plus, this chapter referred to his first man on man time as college, but didn’t he and Kip have a gay sex relationship in high school before he met Attie in college? I wish these chapters were much less sad so the hot sex didn’t seem so empty.

DavidPatrickDavidPatrickalmost 2 years agoAuthor

I truly appreciate the comments, but I want to challenge those making them not to view the world through their preconceived conceptions of how the world is supposed to be. All of our choices are valid. Kevin chose to blow Attie. Why do you reject that choice and insist it was a “scrap”? Kevin chose “good friends and casual sex.” Why do you reject that choice and insist it was less than he wanted. I wrote it that it was exactly what he wanted. I try in my writing to challenge the paradigms, especially the paradigm of 1-1 monogamy. I think they are heteronormative constructs based in an era that predates birth control, yet we cling to it today. I think it’s unnatural. Final through: (1) Kevin didn’t pick Ray, Ray picked Kevin. And, it was a thrill for Kevin. (2) The comments suggest that choosing to be alone is not a valid choice, which I don’t get. When I’m with the right person, I choose to be with him. When I’m not, I choose to be alone. I don’t feel lesser when I’m alone.

dnsontndnsontnalmost 2 years ago

V got his groove back! Happy to hear he gets his chimney cleaned more now. I appreciate the story arc bending to this place. A lot of life left after 50.

readerfeederreaderfeederalmost 2 years ago

I wish we could see more of the 'chimney cleaning' in this chapter, so to speak! Glad to see you back here and posting stories again - you're one of my favourite writers on Lit. Your stories tend to have a touch of melancholy and end on a slightly bittersweet note that I find quite rare in erotica. In my opinion, the fact that your stories are tinged with a sliver of sadness makes your writing more interesting. However, I can't fault the other commenters either - as readers, we're conditioned to expect happy endings or a sense of finality from the narratives we consume.

I'm curious, though - since this story is called 'The Dairy State Boy' I thought that Kevin might cross paths with Wyatt/Beef again in some form (not necessarily that they would be lovers again, but that he would find some kind of closure, perhaps).

I do feel there is more to Kevin's story, if you ever want to write more installments. Looking forward to your next writing project!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

damn pls make a follow up :( i hope kevin and attie reconnect or somethinf

PlayaJumperPlayaJumper7 months ago

Great story telling! Thanks so much!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The thing is all your stories are depressing, don't we all have enough depression already? You have a gift why wouldn't you use it to give hope, to make people smile and feeling like things can get better, of course is not your responsibility but why would you rather let people get depressed and hating your characters? Kinda disappointed...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDavidPatrick@DavidPatrick
781 Followers
Poor kid who made his way.

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES