The Darkness Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She instinctively touched her shoulder, and to her surprise, the wound was already healing. "I'm sorry for not listening to you earlier. I guess I figured I was ready to handle it on my own. Forgive my insolence and..."

"There's nothing to forgive," he interrupted.

"Thank you Gabriel," she whispered, walking from the room.

***

Jessica did not drink or smoke, but she craved a cigarette and a shot of crown. She always craved a cigarette and a shot of whiskey when dealing with Yada. Yada seemed to do that to her, drag her into her world and vices.

She looked at the notebook, debating to keep reading or to just shut it and forget she ever received it. Running her hands along her face, she just stared at the pages.

"Get it together old-girl," she whispered, realizing how ridiculous she was acting. Glancing to the picture on the corner of the desk, she leaned back in the leather chair. Folding her hands in front of her lips, she tapped them. The picture was of Yada and Jessica as teenagers on a beach. The picture had been taking near sunset and it was always Jessica's favorite picture of the two of them. She had always kept it on display. The photo was from a time when life was uncomplicated by age and truths. Shortly after the photo, the pair started to explore the world of crime and mischief. She recalled the first unusual event she had witnessed with Yada.

The two of them decided to steal a car and head to Panama City Beach. It was spring break and they figured they could have some fun. They were downtown near the warehouse district when a young man approached them. At first, everything seemed ok, and then it all went towards the twilight zone. The man grabbed Yada and tried to take her away. Yada fought him as best she could until he freaked out, slapping her face hard enough to send her flying across the alleyway. Jessica picked up a 2x4, striking him across the lower back. He twisted and launched her sailing in the opposite direction. Recovering just in time to see Jessica hit the brick wall Yada lunged at the man. They both went rolling across the ground finally landing with Yada pinned under his weight. He seemed to laugh as though he was enjoying the attack. But his delight ended when Jessica wrapped her arms around his neck. It was then everything seemed to blur in a slow motion dream.

Jessica's silver necklace touched the back of his neck. He howled in pain as though he was a wolf caught in a hunters trap. Lashing out and mumbling curses they didn't understand he rolled across the ground as though he was on fire.

Jessica and Yada had seen to many B rated movies to know you don't stick around, so they did the only thing they could think of. They ran as fast as they could through the city. Catching a cab they ended up at the beach.

Pushing the memory away, she gazed at the notebook and remembered how many years they spent as best friends. The two of them had traveled together along the North Island as well as the South. Both spending time on and off the streets by the time they were seventeen and eighteen. Jessica, the older, always seemed to get them out of trouble. A local city police officer seemed on a mission to save the girls from their adventures. Patrick just seemed to show up in a nick of time, normally. For some unknown reason he always blamed all the trouble on Yada, and warned one day she would get the two of them killed with the bad business she always seemed mixed up in. Jessica never believed Patrick though, and stayed friends with Yada.

"Ok Yada, you have my attention now." Leaning back in the chair, she turned the page, still craving a shot of whiskey and a cigarette, even more than before. The sudden flood of memories was a lot to handle.

12