The Darkness Ch. 05

Story Info
Dinner and a History.
6.8k words
4.86
2k
4
1

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All characters are over 18 years old. There are no acts of sex in this chapter. Please leave me a comment, and don't forget to vote.

Chapter Five

Yada laid in bed, trying to get Markus Smith out of her head. She had known the man only a few years, but she kept thinking there was something about his eyes that spoke of age. Markus was Michael's pet and she often worked closely with him when Gabriel and Michael had joint ventures. But the last few months they had grown close. Dangerously close. Had a random phone call not occurred, Yada would have woken in his bed. Maybe that is why she couldn't sleep tonight? Maybe she ached to let her very human needs override her brain.

Yada kicked the black silk sheet off her body and decided she needed a distraction from the memory of Markus Smith and his wonderful mouth. She left the small apartment and walked along the river front and sat on a beach area, listening to the sounds of the night. She closed her eyes thinking of Markus and that is when the memory hit her. Suddenly Yada saw Gabriel and Michael in a different life.

2500 BC

"Hurry up Alu. We are going to be late. He won't be happy if we are late... again." The tall man spoke over his shoulder, climbing hand carved steps two at a time.

"Time is the only constant. We are never late nor are we early. We arrive when we are expected to." Alu said, catching up with his brother on the top step.

"You sound like you have been studying the stars again, brother."

"Perhaps," he said with a light smile. "There is a sense of being in the stars. It is said Ra fancies the heaven and the stars."

Akar regarded his brother silently before a guard walked them into the chamber. "Pharaoh," they both said, moving to one knee before their ruler.

"Rise Alu and Akar," Pharaoh dismissed the rest of his court, and walked towards the brothers.

"You summoned us, Pharaoh?" Akar began still looking at the hand carved titles before Pharaoh's feet.

"Rise Akar, you are a friend here." Pharaoh's words were soft and warm.

"Pharaoh, what is your wish, we are here but to serve." Alu began as he folded his arms behind his back, rising to his full height.

"I have a mission of utmost importance. I have received word from Lord Seth. He wishes two of my finest warriors, and I have granted him the two of you."

"Not to sound defiant, sire, what would Lord Seth want with us?" Akar started to ask, but was quickly silenced as Pharaoh walked closer.

"Forgive my words," Akar whispered, lowering his head. He knew his curious nature was barely tolerated.

"It is not for me to ask or wonder. He demands with urgency, so I am sending him- you. Do not fail him, for failing him will fail me. Lord Seth has granted me passage into the underworld. If you do this simple task for me your place will be granted at my side in the underworld as well."

"You honor us, Pharaoh." Alu and Akar spoke in unison. "We will not fail you," Alu continued.

"Where do you send us?" Akar probed as his eyes searched Alu's for answers. The brothers were confused and honored by their Pharaoh's request. To get used by the Gods was an honor in itself.

"Go to the Nile in three days, there you will be contacted. I have no further information for you." Pharaoh said as his touched the brothers shoulders.

"By your will we serve," the two brothers again said in unison before departing the chamber.

Three days later:

"Alu I have a bad feeling about this. It has come to me in a dream, a dark dream of death. There is a War among the Gods, and I feel we are pawns in a game." He sounded broken and exhausted from lack of sleep.

"Akar, whatever this game, we shall see it through until the end. What could the Gods want with us? I say nothing. Most likely Pharaoh has set a test for us. To see if we will fail in our loyalty and devotion. His son has whispered of disentition in the ranks. We shall not fail. There is none more loyal to Aracis or his father.

"It's almost sun down," Akar said, not looking anymore settled. "Are you sure this is the place?" He added watching the sun slowly sink beyond the sand.

The two brothers stood side by side when a sudden gust of wind nearly blinded them in the sand shower. The sky above thundered and a bolt of lightning struck the ground near their feet. A doorway opened and a mental voice ushered them in. Several paces down the staircase a pair of torches ignited. They took them and descended into darkness. After nearly ten-minutes, the two emerged into a large room. Seated on a high throne was Anubis.

"Lord Anubis," both men said, falling to their knees and palms, and keeping their eyes averted from the God. Alu and Akar looked between themselves before looking to the ground.

"I am perplexed," Lord Anubis said, standing from his throne. "Two mortals when I expected a God." His tone was deep and full of rage.

"Lord Anubis, we were sent by our Pharaoh to meet with..."

"I know who sent you," Anubis interrupted. "But what to do with you is now the question."

The brothers again looked between each other, confused. "Lord Anubis, I am confused as to why we are here." Alu said, placing both hands back on the ground.

Lord Wepwawet, Lord Osiris, Lord Amen, Lord Maat, and Mistress Nephthys walked into the chamber moments later.

"What is this? Mortals declaring they committed such crimes against the gods." Amen stated.

Maat walked around the two brothers judging them from behind silent eyes. "Guilty? No. But they are brave." He seemed impressed with the brothers' resolve.

"It does not matter!" Osiris slammed the staff on the harden-sand floor. "If they have come forward, then let judgment pass on them."

"My lords, please, I beg you, tell us this crime we stand before you?" Alu asked this time more urgent.

"Lord Seth's trickery," Amen stated, coldly. He looked rather serious in his accusation.

"My lords, we were sent here, on Lord Seth's behalf and are now confused as to why." Akar said quietly.

"No I don't think you do," Nephthys softly said, touching Anubis' shoulder.

Maat looked disgusted by the showing of mortals. He had sat quiet for too long of his brother Seth's treachery. "They have come, so shall they be judged. For the crime against Osiris, I find you guilty." Maat spoke sternly. "For the theft of life I shall take yours." His voice echoed in the chamber. The walls seemed to vibrate with his judgement.

"No," the brothers screamed in unison before Amen quickly silenced them.

"You are brave but it will not help you this night. It is clear Lord Seth has decided your fate." Nephthys said, quietly. Remorseful. "You will not pass into the underworld: You will be condemned to this world."

"You will be cursed to never find the setting sun, you will be sent east and never know the Hall of the Dead." Amen added.

"No, please." Again, the two cried out, but their pleas fell on deaf ears.

"You will hunger and never feel full, thirst and never be quenched, hunt and never find the passage. May Ra curse you as well to never hunt under his glow. You will be dead and un-dead and your spirit shall forever be lost in this place." Anubis said, tapping his staff on the ground with a thundering echo. The concussion wave rolled over the brothers, sending them into the wall and darkness.

The vision cleared as thunder sounded in the distance. For the first time in her life with Gabriel, she truly understood his age and his pain. He and Michael had walked the earth nearly 4500 years. Yada felt a rush of panic bolt through her chest just before she fell on the dew laced grass as her mind tried to deny what she knew to be the truth.

March 27, 1996

I have to remind myself I used to have a life as a regular human. I often forget the world outside of this society exists. Tonight I was reminded of the life I once had.

I saw Jessica for the first time in a few years. Jessica was my best friend. She and I did everything together. I think back to a time when we first met. Back before my father found me. Jess and I learned about life in the most unusual of ways. We learned about boys from watching movies and reading magazines. We learned about life by living on the streets, and we learned about friendship when a Lyceum attacked us.

Looking back over the years, I can say I regret losing contact with her. She was always there for me. I could fill a book about our adventures and perhaps one night I will. I'm saddened I can never tell her the truth. I think of all the non-believers she would handle the truth better than most. I love her as a sister. I would protect her from this world.

Slowly the last golden rays dipped below the waterline on the distant horizon. Yada watched until the twilight faded before she slowly gathered her belongings and headed towards Markus' house. She had mixed emotions about attending the dinner party with him. Most of the conflict stemmed from an argument she'd had earlier in the morning with Gabriel.

He had come into her room shortly after sunrise carrying two cups of coffee and woke her up from a sound sleep. Gabriel wasn't happy she had been sleeping when she should have been working and figured she must have fallen into a depression again.

Depression often happened when Yada spent too much time engulfed in her work and not enough time outwardly enjoying life. He deplored this aspect of her, but accepted she was only human and would cir cum to human emotional states at times.

"Good morning." He tried to sound cheerful. Normally he didn't treat his servants like this. But Yada was no mere servant. In fact he had come to think of her as his personal assistant. The one person he relied on more than any other.

"Is it morning already?" Pulling the pillow over her head, she hid from him. Lifting the corner, she spotted the coffee and sat up slowly. "It's Friday right?"

"Yes it's Friday, what other day would it be?" He sounded amused.

Gave sat beside her and inspected her shoulder. She had been shot several nights before in an attack. "It healed nicely. The scar is small; you did a good job." Placing his head on her shoulder he closed his eyes. Had she and Alek not dispatched her attacker he would have. "I have something I need you to do tonight."

"Tonight? Can it possibly wait? I have plans for tonight." She leaned her head to his hand, kissing one of his knuckles. "I have a dinner engagement at Miss Gotti's home."

"Then it should work out just fine. I was sending you there tonight on my behalf. Simon has informed me something of great interest will transpire there. So I figured if I was going I might as well have you on my arm."

"Oh," the near sigh slipped from her lips before she could stop it.

"Oh? Why oh?" Gabriel looked at her with interest.

"I had plans already to attend the dinner with Markus." Just as the name left her lips she wished she could have pulled it back. Gabriel did not like Markus.

"Markus...Markus Smith, Michael's pet boy? Are you nuts?" Gabriel's voice was stern. "What on this planet would cause you to say yes to his invitation? Have you forgotten who he is? Have you forgotten the rules of this House?" He stood full height. Anger reflected in his eyes. Pacing the length of the room he stopped directly before her.

"Calm down Gabe, please. It's not what you think. Markus and I have been --"

"--Have been what!" he interrupted. There could be no answer from her he would accept. It was an insult to his status to have her defy his wish. He opened and closed both hands. Each knuckle popped, making a distracting sound.

"We have been working together for the last several months in preparation of the Elders Meeting. Really Gabriel you are overreacting to this. Markus and I are simply working for the betterment of relations between the Houses."

"You have gone nuts." He raved. "There can be no other explanation for this behavior. You will not go with Markus Smith to this party. You will forget about any future attempts by this man for help." Gave was livid.

"No. I won't break this date with him. Markus and I have been working well together." Tossing her pillow at Gabe, she stood up and pushed him as though he was an unreasonable father making unreasonable demands.

"Date, did you just say date?" His voice was dark. "I see this has gone from an engagement to a date in a few short breaths." Folding his hands over his chest he stared down into her eyes. "Do I have to remind you of your position to me?"

"Do I have to remind you-- you don't own me?"

Quickly Gabriel was upon her. He pressed her into the wall, biting down into her neck. He held her there for several seconds. The beast within wanted vengeance for her defiance and the rational leader stopped the beast.

"Do it," she whispered with no resistance.

Regaining his composure, he pulled away. "Is he worth dying over?" His voice was husky and full of emotion.

"No. You are the only one I would die for." She whispered, twisting so she could look in his eyes. "I would gladly sacrifice my life for you to see another night. I love you, I have loved you for some time. Each night I go into the darkness and embrace it for you. I never ask or want for anything." Her voice trailed off.

He began to pace. The pangs were deep. He realized he was jealous. It was undeserved. He had nothing to be jealous of. Yada belonged to him. End of story! So why would the thought of her attending a party with Markus offend him. Markus was the source of his pain. Markus was a scoundrel. Markus had a secret.

"Please allow me to attend the dinner tonight as his date. It is not a date in the sense of the word, but more a business meeting. I promised him." She wiped the trail of blood from her neck where he had not sealed her wound. It hurt her to ask this of Gabriel.

Silently the seconds passed. "I have not forgotten what it was like to be a man, regardless of what you think or know." Taking her into his arms he held her to his chest, before kissing over the bite and sealed it.

"You treat me as though I am some pawn in a game of chess between you and your brother. I'm not. I'm devoted completely to you. If it is your wish I will call him and tell him I cannot attend with him."

"No. You can have this one night, but when the dinner turns to business I expect you to know your place." He used his knuckle to bring her eyes to his. There seemed to be a crimson circle around the iris.

"I have never forgotten my place." Yada sharply said.

Gabriel slowly looked her over from head to foot before nodding to her. "Go. Do as you need to too, but remember who you are." He walked away leaving her alone in her room.

When he had his temper under control he pulled out his phone to his ear. "Michael, we need to talk before the meeting tonight. I believe you and I have a small problem we must attend to." Gabe looked at Yada's door knowing she could not hear the call.

"A problem? What type of problem?" Michael finally asked.

"I'm not sure yet. It's a gut feeling about something." And he didn't know whether to trust his feelings. He hadn't lived all these years by not trusting.

"I see." Michael's nod was unseen. "If you have a feeling...we have a problem. Let's meet at the normal place at the normal time then?"

"No. I have something else in mind. After the dinner party tonight, before the session starts. I believe this to be more important."

"Interesting." A single word answer disturbed Michael, and he rarely used them. "Sundown then?"

"Yes. I'll call you."

"Until then." Michael looked at his phone and wondered if this was the trouble he had been expecting for the last six hundred years.

Gabriel replaced the cell phone and made his way to his private chambers. He had a lot of thinking to do before sunset. He was troubled by his reaction to Yada. He had not felt jealousy in several centuries.

When he took her into his charge several years ago he knew she was different from any other mortal he had ever met. She was level headed and had an old soul. She made him feel. Gabriel hadn't felt in years. Not since the death of his daughter.

Perhaps he saw Marianna in her. They looked a lot alike. They both defied his every wish. But he didn't look at Yada like a daughter. He looked at her with clouded eyes. Eyes that had seen too many nights alone through the centuries. He longed for peace and knew it when Yada was with him. She quelled the monster he could become. And now she longed to be with someone else. Or maybe that someone else was the problem. Yada had never confessed any emotions for Markus. He never smelt the man on her. Maybe it was just his imagination playing with his mind. Either way it was unquestionably the source of his anger. He could end the confusion and rage by simply ending her life. But no. He had other plans for her. Plans that did not include Markus Smith.

Pulling the Mustang into a gated drive-way Carmen Gotti waved at the attendant. The house was gated and guarded and almost looked like something out of a movie. The valet opened the door for Jessica. "Just ignore everything you see or hear tonight." Carmen joked, joining her side.

"Um...sure," she replied softly to Carmen's joke--wondering just how much of a joke it truly was. She was a little out of her league coming here.

Carmen took a deep breath, scenting her hair, before offering his arm to Jess and escorted her to the main door.

"Good evening, sir." Thomas nodded. "May I take your wrap Miss?" He asked, looking into Jessica's eyes. They were the bluest eyes he had ever seen.

Carmen adjusted his jacket, slowly running his hand along his shirt before buttoning the center button. He offered a semi-smile to Jess before looking over Thomas' shoulder to a woman walking through the foyer. He made a strange face. It was his mother and he prayed she hadn't noticed them, yet.

Jessica placed her hand on the crook of Carmen's arm and watched where he was looking. Jessica saw the tall thin woman and suddenly knew who she was. Alexis Gotti, "Thank you." She whispered, leaning in do ge could hear.

"For what?" Carmen softly asked.

"For warning me who your mother actually is." Jessica had not put two and two together until that very moment.

He watched as Alexis walked in another direction. He was unnoticed for now. He knew his mother would be all over Jessica the minute she saw her. Jessica wasn't like the other single or even married woman for that matter, here. He forced another breath. "Just remember, everyone here is a pack of wolves or worse. They do bite hard, at times, but just ignore them," he whispered.

"Gotcha. I'll do my best to ignore 'em for the jerks they are Carmen. Be warned, however, my bite is vicious too." She forced a soft laugh.

"It looks like Mother is entertained for now." He casually said, seeing Alexis hanging on the arm of Mr. Benedict. Mr. Benedict owned part of the port in Sumter. He was a huge supporter of Alexis. There were even speculations about his loyalty to Alexis. Carmen didn't really care for the older man, but he was a sound business partner so he tolerated him.

"I'll show you around if you like?" He added so he voukd directed her away from the piranhas he called family.

"Sure. I'd like that Carmen." Jessica said gently as she leaned into his arm.

Yada stepped from the limo, her leg appeared first through the slit of the floor length gown. After accepting Markus' hand and walking slowly towards the front doors, she glanced over her shoulder to the man standing near the rose bush. She would have missed him had Markus not looked first. Yada played a deadly game as did the rest of them. Tonight it was a show for the locals, later it would be death to one of them.

Markus had sent a message that after the party, before the meeting they had some private business to attend to on Miss Gotti's behalf. Yada and Alexis did not get along on principle alone. She had tried to have Yada killed twice.

12