The Darkness Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tell me something Markus, why here? I mean her home tonight?" Yada sounded distant.

Markus used his finger to turn Yada's eyes to his and stepped so their bodies touched. "Because there is a man coming to see her, and he is something new to all of us. And the kid," he was referring to Carmen Gotti. "Was a target earlier this week. We think it's the same person. If I'm right, he'll already be here." He whispered to her neck, giving a small show to the onlookers.

"And if you are wrong, we just played into someone's hand." She commented as the front door opened and brought both of their eyes back to one another.

"If I am wrong, we are both dead, and where would the fun be in that?" Markus mused.

"So someone tries to kill the kid and now you and I are expected to correct the mistake. Tell me why both Houses are in on this? I mean if the kid is a Michelson, why is Michael so interested in the outcome?" Yada turned and continued to walk into the foyer, never letting Markus' arm cool.

"Because Michael believes whoever ordered the hit came from within his House." His voice sounded concerned.

"Very interesting," she nodded. "So we have a player playing both Houses." She laughed before continuing. "And me without a semi-automatic." She popped a knuckle. "The next time you design me a dress, make sure it has ample room for a side-arm." She sounded serious.

"Now that would defeat the purpose of having you wear any of my creations." He winked, looking over how the dressed accented all the right places on her slender figure.

"Do we have any idea of who he is?" She glanced around the area, noting there were six Michelson's on patrol.

"Not really," he fixed his tie. "We obtained an image from the bank across the street where the kid was attacked. All we could ascertain from the photo was a small tattoo on the man's neck. It was blurred but we think it's a triskilian."

"Well that narrows this down to a handful of people." The sarcasm was thick. "How in the hell does Alexis think we can track a man by a lone blurry image of a tattoo?"

"I have no idea. But his mom wants him and his date watched. That's his date, over there. She was with him when he was attacked. I've been checking her out. Her name is Jessica Trenton. A local."

"I bet you didn't find anything on her." Yada hid the fact she knew Jessica. If Markus dug deep, he'd find the connection.

"You are right. The woman is clean. She has no ties to any of us. But I did find a rather interesting tidbit."

Yada braced. It wasn't a secret they had a past. "What's that?"

"Someone is protecting her."

"What do you mean?" Yada probed.

"You know exactly what I mean." He took her hand to his mouth and kissed her center knuckle. "She was your friend, and I suspect she doesn't know. I'll leave that out of my report to Michael later."

"You don't have too. She is my friend. But I haven't spoken to her in years. Gabriel knows of my life before. It doesn't need to be hidden. I have nothing to hide where she is involved." Yada surveyed the room. She spotted Gabriel near the balcony. "Markus, I need some air. I'll find you in a little while." She leaned to his cheek and planted a tender kiss. They had appearances to keep.

"If I don't find you first," he commented.

"I have to be honest...I don't like gatherings like this." Carmen softly said, leading Jessica around the room, carefully avoiding everyone, or so he thought.

"Carmen, is that really you?" A loud voice shattered the moment.

Carmen turned around to see a tall red-haired woman standing several feet away. "On no," he whispered. He glanced at Jessica then at the woman. "Aunt Mary." He said, opening his arms to greet the woman.

Mary embraced him in a quick hug and mock kisses to both cheeks before narrowing her eyes on Jess. "So you never call or write. What had you so occupied?" She continued to look at Jessica.

"You don't? Really? Why not, Carmen?" Jessica decided to play along with the brass woman.

"Well?" Mary demanded even before Carmen could answer.

Looking over Mary's shoulder, Carmen saw Alexis approaching. "Even better," he mumbled. He smiled and braced for the impact.

"Mary," Alexis said, slithering through the crowd until she was standing beside the woman. "It's good to see you." She kissed the woman's cheeks before turning to Carmen.

"It's good of you to join us." Alexis said in a not so motherly tone. She opened her arms and fully hugged her son and then paused, summing Jessica up and then in turn hugged her as well.

"Welcome to my home." It was said in a neutral tone though it was anything but neutral.

"Mother, Aunt Mary, meet Jessica." Carmen offered, formerly with a smile that lit up his face.

"So this is what has your attentions?" Mary said, raising an eyebrow to the woman called Jessica. "She looks a little thin Carmen. Don't you agree Alexis?"

"No Mary. I would say she is just right for my Carmen." Alexis saw the exchanged look between her son and Jessica. She could tell Jessica genuinely liked Carmen.

"Thank you, ma'am," Jessica said politely, wondering what her game was. Jessica felt like she was a pawn or a prize, she couldn't decide.

"I'm too young to be called Ma'am, call me," Alexis looked at Carmen with what could only be called a cruel smile. "Call me Alexis, please. Any friend of Carmen's shouldn't be held to the formalities of this family." There was a brief smile. "You look wonderful, my dear. Mary don't you think so?"

"Why yes I do. She looks scrumptious to say the least. That dress fits you well." Mary licked her lips, like a dog looking at the roast on the counter that its owner set out and left alone.

"Carmen, would you mind getting us something to drink?" Alexis stated more than asked.

"Of course, Mother." He replied, hating the fact he would have to leave Jessica alone with them. He glanced frequently over his shoulder as he approached the bar, knowing he would have to make it up to Jessica.

Alexis didn't say anything for a few moments until she was sure Carmen was out of ear range. Once she was certain she took Jessica by the arm. "Mary, you must excuse us, there is someone I want Jessica to meet." Alexis didn't wait for Mary's protest, she led Jessica into an unoccupied area, and positioned the young woman away from the others before grabbing a passing glass from a waiter. "You will have to forgive Mary. She doesn't understand functions like this. So you are Jessica. I've heard a lot about you over the last week."

If Alexis was lying she was doing a damn good job of it. She sounded as though she knew the woman or had been talking of her recently. "You are not like the others interested in my son. Let me see if I get this right. You're an artist, the heir to your family's money, and interested in my son." Alexis didn't wait for the answers she kept going. "I've had some time to think about this. It's not money you are after, I checked. You can hold your own. It's not glitter either. I can tell by the dress you are wearing. Markus is a dear friend of the family, and he didn't know your name until this week. All of this leads me to believe you might actually like Carmen. How am I doing so far?" Alexis downed the drink and replaced it on another passing tray.

"Catholic upbringing-- but such mysterious avenues." Alexis hinted at knowing something, again if she was lying it was well hidden. "Tell me Jessica, what do you hope to gain by knowing my son or my family? And don't give me the normal bullshit about being friends. There is no such thing as just friends in this day and age."

"Yes. I'm Jessica, and it's a good thing the College is on break so you can't hold all my bad grades over my head." Disarm and distract. "I hope you don't know anything else bad about me." She adjusted her hair behind her right ear. "I'm not so mysterious, Alexis. Not so mysterious at all. I'm not after anything at all, Alexis. Contrary to your opinion, there are such things as just friends in this day and age. Carmen liked my painting and purchased one. That's how we met. Hopefully, I can sell some to you and your friends too. Money aside, there's nothing like the sweet smell of success." She rocked on her toes making her 4'11" frame look that much smaller.

"You talk the part." Alexis said with a smile. "But somehow I think your height is not the only thing you are short in. There is no secret about who we are. I'm guessing you're a plant." She said tapping her mouth with a single finger. "And if not a plant, perhaps a very foolish little girl playing dress up in a world ready to bite her head off. Oh I know what you are thinking. You are thinking I'm a bitch. You're right, I am one."

Alexis looked over the men and women around the room. She was hard to read. "I'm going to tell you this one time, and one time only. If you fuck with Carmen in any means, shape, or form I'll kill you. Take it as a threat, or anything else you like. But I'm a woman of my word and I don't scare easily. I think I'm going to like you Jessica. I think I'm going to like you a lot."

Alexis' attention went to the door and a man walking in. He was handsome and Alexis knew who he was. "If you will excuse me, I see someone I must talk with. Unless there is something you wish to say?"

Jessica just gave her a puzzled look.

"I didn't think you would." Alexis added, walking away.

Jessica needed air, and lots of it. She walked out on the balcony.

"You either have balls the size of Texas, or you've gotten dumb over the years." A sudden woman's voice broke the tension as Jess walked across the balcony.

"I've got the balls life gave me," Jessica said with a wicked grin seeing Yada standing in a shadow. "I guess it is better than being super shy like I usually am. Besides, she rubs my fur the wrong way."

"So what brings you here tonight?" Yada hugged her longtime friend.

"Carmen, actually--He wanted someone to use a shield against the moxies his mother usually tries to shove down his pants. I agreed." She shrugged. "The food's free and you know how I love to eat. Also, I got to wear this really neat LBD (little black dress)." She paused. "What brings you here tonight? As far as I know, this isn't your type of thing."

"A friend asked me to come tonight. You may have heard of him. Markus Smith, the designer." She put her hand up. "You are wearing something from his new line so I figure you know him." Yada looked Jessica over from head to toe. "You've grown up." Yada said with some approval.

"So you are here with Carmen?" She stated more than asked, although it was still a question. "He seems like a good kid."

"He's not really a kid, but yeah he brought me. We met a while back, and I guess we have been friends ever since. He showed up at my house a week ago and asked me to come tonight. Hell if I had known his mom was Alexis I would never have accepted."

"She doesn't bite that hard, trust me there are heavier hitters here than her."

"Yeah, but they aren't after me," Jess laughed.

Yada leaned over the railing and overlooked the lights from the road. "Did you ever imagine we would end up where we are now?" She looked sideways to Jess. "I don't mean here and now, I mean in general. I never thought for a million dollars I would be eye candy at an event like this, or ever seeing you here. I figured we would cross paths at a gallery opening or something. Life has changed over the last five years. Sometimes I wonder if it was for the better."

"I sure didn't expect to see you here or have you rescue me, Yada. I kept hoping that some miracle would make me grow taller. Never happened, though. I'm still five-foot nothing. I'm up to 110 pounds, though it's all muscle, and to tell you the truth. I miss my Dad."

Jessica changed the subject quickly. "I never thought I'd be anywhere like here either. Sure a gallery opening and one-woman shows is one thing but here tonight is something different." She sighed softly. "Who knows? God, maybe, but He ain't saying nothing."

"God never says much to my kind." Yada said in a solemn tone. She turned so her waist rested on the rail and in a position she could see the people in the room in front of her. In some ways it reminded her of a story book ballroom--men and women gathered in small groups while the music played on, all waiting for the entrance of some foreign prince or princess.

"Life has been different over the last few years since my dad died. I don't mean Mr. Olsen-Myers either. I never told you I met my real father a few years ago. I think sometimes everything happens for a reason." Yada remembered Mason's threat. She glanced over the yard below knowing he was there watching.

"Are you still going to school?" She finally asked as an afterthought. Yada wasn't good at small talk, not with the living anyway. But Jessica was her oldest friend, in the sense of years, except for maybe one other. And that other still brought a smile when she thought about him.

Jessica turned so anyone looking would think she was bored of the party. "I'm sorry for your loss, Yada. And thanks." She looked at the full moon before sighing and shifting the conversation. "Yeah. I'm taking Folklore and Myths, Computer Sciences, and Art. It gives me something to do and keeps me out of the bingo halls."

"Folklore and Myths? Is that with Professor Barnes?" Yada casually asked, still watching the room and Markus' rather frustrating moments with Carmen and another man. Normally Yada would have walked over, but it was best to stay with Jess. "I sat in on one of her classes last semester. She is a rather interesting teacher."

Yada paused, realizing she may have said a little too much. She smiled politely to a young man passing by and continued to talk. "I've gotten into ancient myths as of late. I have no earthly idea why I have, but I have. There's just something about our past. Perhaps it's my employer. He wishes me to know all and everything about acquisitions, including the legends behind some of the pieces he imports, I believe."

Jessica turned slowly trying to imagine Yada in a classroom, or near a campus of any sort. "Yeah. She's pretty neat. She makes her classes interesting instead of nap times." She shrugged. "You know private employers can be worse than Admirals sometimes. At least that's what dad said. There is one good point? At least in civilian jobs, you can retire from them."

"Sometimes you can," Yada offered, pushing off the railing and stepping to the door in time to grab a drink from an unseen tray passing by. "Life is boring, at times. I wish, no, I would want an ordinary life, but I have the feeling I would be bored and back on the streets or worse." She downed the drink. "Do you remember when we were younger, and there was nothing we didn't fear except getting caught by either Patrick or your dad? Sometimes I miss those days. There are nights when I'm at work I would give my right arm to go back." Yada left it there after hearing raised voices from inside. "We should get back before you're missed."

"Yeah." Jessica left it there between them.

"There is so much I," Yada smiled and moved an unruly lock of hair from Jessica's eye. "I want to say to you. But, there's no time though." Yada glanced at the man standing near the door. "Markus," she nodded, stepping to his side giving him a light kiss. "You know my friend Jessica." She nodded to Jessica. "Is everything ok?"

"It's a pleasure Jessica. I think Carmen is looking for you." Markus nodded, taking Yada by her hip, bringing her closer. "Everything is fine." He said in a distant tone, placing a hand on her hip and scenting her neck. "Shall we?" He asked, leading Yada away before she could protest.

Jessica laughed quietly watching the affection between the two before she joined Carmen.

Once out of ear range Markus pulled Yada closer. "We have a problem." He whispered, kissing her neck.

"What type of problem?" Yada cracked her neck to the side.

"Darius is here."

Yada took a deep breath and released it slowly. Darius was an unexpected guest. He was the Elder of House Baden and not welcomed by Alexis in her home. Alexis was a sworn friend to The Michelson's and The Michelson's only. "Where is he?"

"I can answer that for you." A raspy male voice placed between their cheeks broke their conversation.

"Darius," Yada growled. "You know the rules. You're not welcomed here." She moved her hands down Markus's side.

"Pish, posh and rubbish," a very British voice responded. He tapped the end of Yada's nose. "I go where I wish when I wish." He responded, inspecting his fingertips, ignoring the rest of Yada's comment. "Although to ease your wandering minds, I will enlighten you. I was invited to the travesty of a party, by none other than Gabriel and Michael. Now if the two of you will excuse me, I have some business to attend to." He parted their bodies and walked between them.

Yada looked across the room to Gabe and Michael who were both standing side-by-side, studying her and Markus with great interest.

"Until later than Darius," Yada nodded.

Gripping Markus' arm, she stepped closer and turned her back so Gabe couldn't read her lips. "The game is afoot my dear friend."

"Agreed," the single word answer was enough. He was feeling it as well. They were pawns in a game of the elders, and the game design would not be known until their employers settled the stakes.

12