All Comments on 'The Date from Hell'

by proverbialasshole

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Couldn't get past the much of the pre dinner discussion. I don't know many guys that wouldn't just get up and walk away after being treated like that. I don't care what happens in the rest of the story I couldn't even begin to like the female character.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Excellent

Without doubt one of the most interesting stories I have ever read here. From a 64 year old guy shedding a few tears.

ealexerealexerover 3 years ago
Great read.

Entertaining but the ending is so sad.

JayDiverJayDiverover 3 years ago

One thing about asshole's, proverbial or not, is they are deep... in heart and mind. Thanks for the story. 5's

Wolfden999Wolfden999over 3 years ago
One of the best stories

All I can say is it brought tears to my eyes. It was well written and very enjoyable to read. In all my time reading stories, I have not been as moved as I was with this story. Excellent job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good story but...

This is my first negative comment about a story, believe it or not.

You could have left Alice alive, man. It served the story zero purpose, it's not like we went through a journey with the character after the death anyway, it was just the last few paragraphs. A good story, but left with a bitter taste, what would a simple "and we lived happily ever after to the end of our days." have done to the story that was so undesirable?

Plus, Joyce is so annoying! I know they are friends, but Jesus, does she meddle in other people's business. She comes off as condescending and unlikable, the man told her to stop match-making, yet she continued.

Also, he stayed at the first date far longer than any real person would have. After the first few barbs while sitting down, I would have been extremely pissed and left immediately.

But otherwise, decent story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Fantastic characterizations

I liked the main character's (Rob's) characterization and struggles. Seemed so realistic. The only thing I didn't but was Joyce hiding her friends identity and being unaware of why she was acting so nasty. But I laughed through the first part of the story empathizing with Rob and loved the rest of the story. One of the best character studies I have read on here in a while. Keep up the good writing, I would love to read more stories.

Elusive_WolfElusive_Wolfover 3 years ago

Honestly, I was really enjoying this story. For me though, killing Alice off served no purpose and actually lessened my overall enjoyment.

syntheticfuturesyntheticfutureover 3 years ago

It was a great story until the ending. That ending was pure BS.

Farm4Life62Farm4Life62over 3 years ago

Well, you're right. You are an asshole.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 3 years ago

Good writing, good story material. But so drawn out and repetitive it became frustrating to find where the plot progressed.

Good effort 3star.

Flar1958Flar1958over 3 years ago
Good writing

Belivably people in meaning 5* but for the sad ending only 4

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Hahaha. I felt some of the conversation were off, like people dont talk like that. Or at least it is hard for them to do so. I didnt get much immersion so I was gonna rate it 4* but the end was so good I just had to give it the 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Totally improbable and yet deeply moving. An unlikely success. Five stars.

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesalmost 3 years ago

Good tale, should have ended with the marriage though. As it stands, we have a beautiful, wonderful woman who undergoes a horrific gang rape, then after a few happy years, is killed tragically young by a drunk driver. Happy reading, folks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story until the totally unnecessary downer ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You don't talk to someone over the computer without a real name or face. You know it is a setup.

Poor story, he should have figured it out that she was Maybelline, then have someone else be Johnny B. Goode on the computer (like Cirano de Begerac). Then when they meet at the restaurant, Maybelline and the real Johnny B. Goode can get together, but not him. The end is bad, just because you know the story doesn't mean you get together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I loved the story. She was a person shattered by rape and fought her way back.

In the end I could feel his pain after her death.

I am really trying to hold back tears just typing this.

Big_Tim99Big_Tim99about 2 years ago

With the ending of the story, you know he is just waiting to die.

mfbridgesmfbridgesover 1 year ago

So is this heart breaking ending the same for all your stories. I've read two to date and they both about killed me at the end. You still get an overall 5, but darn how about just ending it with a little happiness next time.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userproverbialasshole@proverbialasshole
A few times I comment, an even fewer times I write. I write strictly fiction, aka non-real stuff. Repeat for emphasis: Nothing of what I write is based on any real events. If anything I write has any semblance to anything real, it is by no intention of mine. Just to clarify....